“Great vacation”

Ranked #18 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Connecticut
“Great vacation”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We recently spent 7 days at the Club Med in Cancun and our stay was fantastic! Our room, the beach, the snorkeling, the parasailing, the food, the activities …. everything was great!! My only concern is with one of the restaurants - Las Cazuelas. Admittedly we were there in late July when it is typically very hot, but the heat inside this restaurant was simply unbearable!! Several people got up and left, and I wish we had as my sister became so over-heated that we had to wrap ice in our napkins and place it on her neck!!! I'm not sure if it's because of the design of the building, or just the hot weather in general, but there was absolutely no air flow in the restaurant and it was incredibly hot!! One more thing - the wifi (which you have to pay for) is spotty at best. Overall, the resort was fantastic and I would definitely go back again!!

3 Thank teacher860

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (867)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Located way out on the tip of the peninsula, this resort has a reef side, a sandy beach side and a backs up to inland lakes. Older, newer and newest room types provide a variety of options and locations to stay. Food is fresh and available banquet style many hours a day. Other options for food service are available at off hours and with reservations. Bars make nice drinks and the beach boys run all day long. A ton of activities and events to participate in or just do nothing if you prefer. Programs for kids of all ages. Went in 2012 and liked it so much we went back in July 2014.

6 Thank Kurt L
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I have to admit that I did not stay here, but I really want to write a review on behalf of my new friend Israel. We came to Cancun with my 6 year old boy, and wanted to do something active. I've always heard a lot about the reefs in Cancun, but never experienced too much. We didn't really want a whole day excursion with a guide and all of that, so we rented some equipment from our hotel and headed over to the Club Med area to which is also a nature preserve if I understand correctly.

We did not know how to do this, and Israel noticed that my son and I were struggling despite our prior practice in the swimming pool. Had he not come along, we would have no idea that the sea world and reef existed!!! Thank you Israel, for helping my son and I get the right equipment and the experience we need to do this again VERY soon! This in my limited opinion is the best way (outside of diving) to see the amazing world under the sea, and I would recommend that you let Israel and his crew give you the tour to start.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank R0llinSt0ne
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We are just back from 10 days at Club Med in Cancun. We have been to Turks (10 yrs ago) and Guadeloupe (2013) and we truly had an amazing time. We are a family of four (girls 7 and 9) and love the connecting room accommodation where the girls have their room, tv, bathroom and we have our own privacy and with a connecting door that allows us to walk from one to the other room when we want.

The food was very good, especially if you love Mexican food...but it was not Guadeloupe which food-wise was just over-the top!!

The activities and the GOs rock. We went there for the sailing and windsurfing..the wind was not very strong which was great for our 9 year old who learned how to master the catamaran and the windsurfing...now mostly her learning came from my husband but the GOs allowed her to go and would pick her up when she drifted too far on the windsurfing. Huge thanks to Ragab, Dany, Pedro, David and the rest of the sailing team for making this experience truly memorable!!

Given the wind conditions, I decided to get enough courage to join the intermediate tennis lessons every morning..I had not played in 20 years...I had so much fun that even with the scorching heat I was glad to show up every morning..thanks to the Tennis team there with Chui, Elie and the nice GO from Morocco (sorry I forgot your name)

The mini club was good for my 7 year old once she had made a friend she actually wanted to go for a whole day...she is the type to enjoy spending time and doing activities with her family ...she enjoyed the trapeze and the swimming time as well as putting on the mini club show. Special thanks to Chloe!

I was disappointed that outside the trapeze, the kids lass/time for sailing or tennis is only spent with the GOs and dependent on their knowledge level to learn anything...that was different in Guadeloupe where the windsurfing GOs took on 4 kids to windsurfing class as part of the mini-club.

I also tried the water ski for the first time and was able to do it!!

There was some very ice live blues band at cocktail hour at the outside bar which we all enjoyed before heading for dinner.

Fantastic family holiday and a few tears on the bus taking us to the airport yesterday from one of my daughter....thanks for the great time!

Room Tip: Request the connecting room when travelling with kids...rooms starting with the 4000s and 3000s seri...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie0nvacati0n
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I'm just coming back from a week-long stay. This was a family reunion, we were a party of 18 with age ranges 2 to 60+

This was my fifth stay at a Club Med (CM), and to be fair in this review, I have to say that I hold CM to very high standards, especially after past visits to CMs in Itaparica and Punta Cana. I am also the kind of guest who loves to get involves in activities and interacts lots with GOs and fellow GMs.

I reckon most people face a choice between Punta Cana and Cancun. I liked the former most. The village in Cancun is too spread out for my taste, and I think there was no ambiance on the beach, which was also small and crowded. Furthermore, the swimming pool is boring. Cancun CM has in its favour that it offers more aquatic activities (at least water ski is not offered in Punta Cana).

I had read lots of reviews about the rooms. Not only the a/c but also the minibar are definitely noisy. I switched off/unplugged both of them every night to be able to fall asleep. Otherwise, the rooms are ok (clean, right size, etc). And there are no insects in the room whatsoever (big contrast vs Itaparica for example).

GOs: 95% of them do their job just right. They are there to run activities and entertain guests, and most of them deliver exactly that, so congrats to the efficient training system of CM. To make your stay more pleasant, I will mention the remainder 5%.

4% is made up of a handful of GOs who do an outstanding work: TATU (look for this Brazilian at the water ski, great teacher if you have no prior experience in this activity), MATEUS at the bar (another friendly Brazilian, polite and efficient to run the bar area). The week I stayed he was onboarding TITO, a new GO at the bar coming from Republica Dominicana, ask him to surprise you with a cocktail of his own creation, you won't be disappointed!. PEDRO, Mexican who does land sports, I came upon him during a morning walk and on the beach volleyball. He did a much better job at organizing the GMs than Karim, he also got more involved in the activity. DARIO, the shortest in the village, charismatic, entertaining and best of all -professional- guy who does the snorkeling. Special mention to YOUSEF, who had to double up as Chief du village since my second day at the club because the main one had to leave unexpectedly. Anyone who had seen Youseff in Punta Cana a few years ago can tell how he has matured, he is really growing and getting better and clearly (and rightly) being groomed to be a future Chief du village. He is great at hosting events, and at mingling with clients, he really understands the core values and philosophy of CM. And the best one of all, the main chef, JEAN CHARLES. Not only does he organizes his team to prepare delicious food and excellent dishes every day, but he also greets guests and makes sure people are having an enjoyable experience at the restaurants. If you want or miss something he will fix it or do it for you. In a sense, if he wanted, he could be Chief du village one day. Big thanks to him and for the "crêpes de cajeta" he prepared for my family and I. Stay close to these people during your time at CM Cancun and you'll have a more pleasant stay.

And the 1% to avoid, fortunately just made up of two individuals. One is DYESUN. I run upon him by chance on my third evening while he was setting up some chairs for the outdoors night event. My children were sat and he asked them to stand up and kind of started folding their chairs. All I did was asking him what was he doing, and he verbally attacked me in front of my kids and other fellow GMs. It was so shocking and surprising that none knew how to react. Clearly he was already pissed off by something that happened before (not with me). Anyway, a total aberration. Later I learned that he is an American who runs the sailing. An antipathetic character. The other one is UGO, who managed to screw up the Farewell for a group of some 20-30s GMs who were leaving the club. This is supposed to be one of the best moments, when GOs come to wish you a safe trip. However, the situation got tense because the transfer that we had paid and hired through CM not only did not show up but, worse of all, for around 15 minutes no one will explain what was going on. When UGO finally appeared, instead of explaining to everyone what was going on he looked as confused as everyone else and his only comment was "there is nothing I can do, the road is blocked by an accident". We tried to make him understand that he was damn wrong because indeed it was his (CM's) responsibility to make sure we reached the airport at the time we were supposed to do it. Rather than stepping up to the situation and showing his leadership (he was co-replacing the chef du village together with Youseff), he totally fumbled the chance. Neither did he even try to find a solution nor did he assuaged the distressed GMs who saw their bus arriving only after a 30-minute delay. So think twice if you what to hire transfer service from CM, you might be better served just hiring one of the plentiful available taxis.

5 Thank GlobalExpat
Watchung, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We hadn't been to a Club Med for 30 years, but decided to take 2 of our grandkids, boy + girl, to celebrate 8th grade graduation. It was as much fun as we anticipated, + remembered. The kids did waterskiing---yes, there are crocodiles in the lagoon, but the noise of the boat motors keeps them away from the waterskiing area---learned to sail, kayaked, tried the trapeeze, snorkeled, and LOVED the Car Wash teen group, led by Wanny, Tammy, + Karim. With the Car Wash group, they played soccer + football + all kinds of games, plus they ate most meals with the kids they met there from all over the world. I primarily laid on the beach (sometimes under a thatched roof) and swam in the beautiful clear water---with the beach waiters consistently offering/bringing me any drink I wanted. Families with little kids seemed thrilled at how well their kids were taken care of/entertained, giving them time to enjoy on their own. There was even a little kids' cocktail party on the beach. At night, there were the shows put on by the GOs, and poker games, and dancing. On the 4th of July, they went all out: foam party on the beach, and fireworks at night! The rooms were spacious, the furniture old, but the shower was good, and the toilet was in a separate room. We had 2 connecting rooms, so we had 2 full bathroom setups. The huge buffet restaurant offered a vast selection of good eating---loved the cheeses + bread + fish. The 2 reservation only restaurants were really nothing special---the steak was fatty + chewy. By the 3rd day, my husband + I were skipping lunch 'cause we ate so much at breakfast + dinner. Don't bother upgrading---you want to be in the village where all the action is. So, if you're looking for fun, sports, + lots of activities, go here to Club Med Cancun.. It's not a 5 star hotel, but it's where you + your family can really have a great time. The GOs are the very best!

Room Tip: Stay in the village---it's where the action is. You spend very little time in your room, so don...
2 Thank Jere668
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was our 4th Club Med. It had been 9 years since our family had done our last Club Med (Punta Cana in 2005) and some of the negative reviews on this site had me a little worried. However, we just returned and our family had a wonderful time! We were sad to leave. If you've never been to a Club Med, think of it as a family camp in a lavish tropical setting, with top notch dining, and unlimited outdoor activities where you will be made happy by everyone who works there.

Since most of the negative comments from others about this village revolve around the rooms, let me start there: We had two basic club rooms. One for the kids and our's next door. The room was stylishy decorated, clean and well kept by our housekeeper. There were ample towels and the fridge was stocked with two large water bottles each day. There was a flat screen tv and a very European style shower, but no tub. The a/c worked and kept it cool. One night we were awakened at 2 or 3 in the morning because we were hot. We had tripped a circuit breaker and all our power was out. We called the front desk and we heard someone flipped the breaker back 10 minutes later and the power came back on. The room was not big, but was fine for two people. It had a balcony with a single chair and table. It was too hot to sit out there, but we hung our bathing suits over the chair each afternoon so they could dry in the afternoon sun. Since this village was originally designed for singles, it lacked the family suites found at Punta Cana and other villages. Not any more. Just this summer a new building opened with family suites called Aquamarina. I did not see these rooms, but am told they are beautiful. They are close to tennis and water sports and one of the restaurants, but far from the main restaurant, pool and Kid's Club. There is also a more lavish building called Jade with very upscale suites, a private pool, room service, and free wifi if you are looking for that type of thing...As far as which building for a club room? We were in Ambar which is a small building centrally located. We were on the third floor. We never heard a soul and only bumped into another couple on our hall once. It was great. Stay away from the buildings right near the pool since I think they would be noisy. Also the first floor hallways double as walkways and would be noisy. In general, you should not go to a Club Med for the rooms. If you are looking for a room at the Ritz, you will be disappointed. You simply won't spend much time in the rooms with all there is to do.

More of what we loved: The food. Fresh and very healthy fare reflecting the cuisines of the area. The buffets were endless, but you could eat healthy if you so choose. Fresh fruits and vegetables abound at every meal. The specialty dining (Steak house and Exotic Mexican) offered a nice change from the buffet. We enjoyed both. We are not big red meat people, but did go to the steak house and it was delicious. Believe me, the food will not disappoint! My husband has a gluten issue and most nights the chef at the main restaurant, would walk around with him and point out what was gluten free and what was not. He got a special gluten free dessert for each meal. We didn't drink much alcohol, so can't comment on that. Our kids loved the non-alcohol fruit slushies they could get at the bars.

My two teenagers (14 and 16) loved the Carwash which was the Kid's club for 14-17 year olds. They loved meeting other kids their age and hanging out and making new friends. This club was very flexible. The kids could meet up with the Carwash whenever they wanted for as little or as long as they wanted. The GO's who worked with the kids were wonderful! Hip and fun and really let the teens drive the schedule. We barely saw our son the whole week and he's very hard to please, so we were happy he was enjoying himself.

The sports! You will not get a better opportunity to do this many different water sports in one place with lessons if you need them. Snorkeling off a beach on a beautiful reef. We snorkeled at least once/day. Sailing, wind surfing, kayaking, waterskiing, you name it. The kids had fun trying the trapeese. The GO's who ran the water activities were very skilled in these areas and patient with those learning. They gave my son 6 tries to get up on water skis, for example and the lesson we got in wind surfing was detailed and thorough.

Another part of the Club Med experience is the way the GO's (Gracious Organizers) are really involved with the guests (GM's). It is not uncommon for them to join you for lunch. They are all young, full of energy and very excited about what they do. The GE's (the employees) were lovely and could not do enough for us. Everyone we asked something of, was so accomodating.

What disappointed us: The shows. The theater is far too small for the size of the club, first of all. Two of the shows were done by the kids clubs. Fun for parents to watch, but kid shows, nonetheless. Three shows were GO's lipsynching and dancing to various pop music with the music video simutaneously shown on a screen. Nothing special and the volume was ridiculously loud in the theater. Two shows were really good. A circus show performed by the GO's who specialize in the trapeze and perhaps some other real circus types. I missed it, but my family said it was amazing. There was also a new show with lots of guys doing tricks with fire: spinning chains with propane fire on the end and tumbling while doing the same. Very cool. These two good shows were held outside so there was plenty of room. Even with the two good shows, for us, the evening entertainment could not compare to what we experienced on the two cruises we have taken.

More frowns: people still get up early and put towels on beach chairs under the cabanas even though it says in the literature you are given when you arrive and it is posted at the beach not to do this. We did always find seats, not always in the shade and sometimes, I'll admit, we move someone elses towel and just sat down. There were beach boys who would bring you an umbrella and dig a hole for it, but those went fast, too.

If you are an English speaker, you will be far outnumbered by French speakers. Most GO's speak English, but not most guests. Every announcement is said in three different languages (French, English, Spanish) This was not that big a deal since Club Med has gotten away from sitting people at big tables for meals, we just ate with our family, but it did bother my kids a little at the Carwash. My son actually said it was the "worst" thing about Club Med. Sometimes he left if there were no boys his age that spoke English.

And because I am a little on the germphobic side, I was icked out by the wicker placemats at the main restaurant that were used for breakfast and dinner. I wondered if they ever cleaned them. I saw people spot cleaning them, but they always looked well used to me. I would have hoped that they were completely cleaned in some kind of solution every day, but I don't know if they were.

The excursions were disappointing. They looked wonderful, but were all very heavy on the culture. Not at all appealing to our teenagers. They need at least one extreme excursion for families.

Even with the few disappointments, we had a wonderful time and hope this review helps you in your planning.

Room Tip: Floors 2 or 3. Avoid rooms by the pool as they will be noisy.
3 Thank Diana G