“Club Med at Cancun - There May be Better Options”

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
Ranked #21 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Arlington, Virginia
“Club Med at Cancun - There May be Better Options”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My family spent our vacation at Club Md in Cancun Aug 1-8 of this year (2014). While perhaps not everyone thinks so we considered this vacation a splurge and one that is not by any means inexpensive. Overall, there were good and not so good things at this Club. Folks should have eyes open when considering vacations. It is your money, your time, and most importantly your experience that you are purchasing. Not sure this club location really gets that.

So let's start with the positive. As part of the package, there is much that is offered by way of sports and most of the folks that run the activities. Availability and accessibility to partake of the many sports is good. For the most part, the evening shows that include mostly the staff are surprisingly good and funny except a few that seemed cheesy. The food is great and the selection of food makes your head spin. The rooms are generally good and cleaned daily, which is nice.

On the less wonderful side, there is a real cultural and language bifurcation between the French and other English- or other-speaking folks. While Club Med started as a French operation, clearly half the clientelle if not more are non-French. There is a clear bias on the part of this Club to hire staff that speak French and which are challenged in other languages - in our case English and Spanish. Example - For each sentence the Chief of the Club (as they call him) speak in English or Spanish, he spoke 2 paragraphs in French. His Frankified English was difficult and having been introduced to the new replacement, his English is even worse. Wow! What are they thinking?

The bias pervades all communication with little thought about the preference or disposition of the clientelle. That said, we did meet some wonderful French families who interestingly were also frustrated with fellow Frenchman who generally do not care to learn or talk in other languages - that was our experience. We noticed that there was a clear division among kids especially between the French and non-French. This was unfortunate and clearly a lost opportunity. More unfortunate was the fact that the staff did not seem to try to be more inclusive and engaging among the different languages but a handful. For example, we received a welcome package and exit package in French. How hard is that to get right? Not a great business approach.....

Naturally in these environments where perhaps some folks care little of expense and expect more than they deserve acted intrusive, abusive, and with surprising lack of respect for others - adults and kids alike, French and non-French.

Some of the folks we met took many of the excursions/tours while we only took one, namely Colours of the Caribbean. This was a snorkling 1/2 day excursion where the Club engages one company to take you to a location for snorkling and then to a Mexican town and beach for shopping and a swim. This was fine and satisfying. What was not satisfying was that the company in charge of actual snorkling was totally incompetent - namely not providing instructions re equipment fit and actual movement in the water, rushing the experience (we had 1/2 hour and were promised 45 min), and failing or ripped/broken equipment. The guide was a kid who did not relate to anyone. The experience was like a war zone with folks finding themselves being scraped on coral - NOT FUN. When we finally relayed our experience to the Club tour operator (a woman named Lily), she first seemed to be compassionate but then seemed to turn on us as if this experience was our fault. We did get back 10% but that seemed insulting. More insulting was the Club's claim that we were the first folks to ever complain - sound familiar? Turning an argument against a client is a common ploy and very unprofessional. Of the tours we have heard, the Eco Coba seemed to be the most worthwhile. The other tours were catchers can - take your chance. I don't get why the Club does not more directly monitor the tours and try their best to improve the experiences. Not that hard to do.

Finally, some folks received royal welcome and others did not - it all depended when you arrived. Not everyone we met received the same info on activities and events, which resulted in us figuring things out. Even then, stated times for activities often conflicted or were lacking. You would think that the Club would have and could have done better.

Bottom Line - We made the most of it. we did go to a Club Med in the Caribbean (Columbus Isle) many years back and that experience was super. Cancun did NOT live up to our expectations.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Eli R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Herts
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Spent 10 days here with my son who is 16 years old. We flew direct from London Gatwick with Virgin Atlantic. This resort is close to the airport which can help after a long flight.

As soon as we arrived we made straight for the beach and dived in, the water was like a warm bath, pure luxury when you live in the UK! The Club Med resort is at the end of Cancun strip of hotels and boasts a reef, sailing area, water ski lagoon in addition to the beach which was spotless and well maintained.
We are water skiers so were on the dock by 8.00am each morning, my son really progressed with his skiing as well as his wake boarding. (less wind than in the UK) I tried wake boarding for the first time, its different from skiing but still great fun. The team of 4 instructors/boat drivers worked their socks off, they are very patient and encouraging. My tip is to go early in the morning for the 9.00am ski slot as the afternoons are very busy.
I tried snorkelling which is a short walk from reception, Dario is very cheerful on reception and helped me with my gear.
Further on,(a short walk or you can hitch a lift in one of the many golf buggies that dart back and forwards between sailing/tennis and reception) is the tennis area, restaurant Las Cazuelas and the sailing/windsurfing area. I went here most afternoons, the restaurant stays open until 4.00pm, you can have your salad freshly prepared and there was a local Mexican dish each day which was delicious. Staff can be a bit slow in asking you re drinks etc.
The guys at the sailing were amazing, I had my first sailing lesson with Pedro and windsurfing lesson with Dyesun. Next day when I returned they remembered me and were always patient and helpful. You can book lessons am or pm, mainly the staff encourage you to take out a hobie by yourself and practice. I am covered in bruises but got the bug for windsurfing even if I can only go one way!!
Didn't try tennis as it was too darn hot!
There is just so much to do, Tuesday they have an amazing reggae band and bbq on the beach, not to be missed, Thursday they have a disco with massive bubbles so all the kids big and small run into the sea.
My son went to the Car Wash, then sort of found company his own age and they tended to stick together, playing pool, swimming, skiing, sailing etc. Its extremely safe and the GO's keep an eye on them. My son was always talking about Ricardo, he even had the kids eating salad with their burgers at lunch time!
Food fresh, lots of variety, never seen so many types of bread. There is an egg station where you can have fresh eggs each morning, best of all, freshly squeezed juices on the go the entire time. How many top hotels have I been to where they have rubbish juice, not here!
Most evenings they had live music, I enjoyed the River Pike band from Montreal, played Eric Clapton type music.
There is something here for everyone, you can sit and chill on the beach or try as many of the excellent activities on offer like we did.
Room - ok so as far as UK standards go its on the large size, its a bit dark in places, however we had very comfortable beds and pillows and we didn't stay much in our room.
Excursions - I went to Chichen Itza which was a good trip, early morning start. I felt a little rushed at the beginning as we were dashed around some sights where I could have lingered a little longer to take photos.
Whale Shark tour - DO NOT BOTHER, this was the worst tour I have ever experienced, in short we didn't see any, I was upset when 36 boats turned up after 1 whale shark which promptly took off. I complained and we were given half our money back. I feel they often have complaints about this tour so I won't dwell other than to say don't waste a day or your money.
Dolphins - fantastic, a short hop from the hotel, just my son and I with an instructor and 2 dolphins, they felt like silk, it was a great afternoon. Beware of hidden extras though, you have to pay for a taxi on top of the price, which is charged to your room, then you can't take photos, have to buy there's and they are way way so expensive, shame as everything else about this trip is amazing, just do it I say!
Tips - bring lots of plasters, waterproof type, we had blisters from everything, although the pharmacy on site is great, my son popped in a couple of times to get bandaged up.
Bring a bag for kids such as a small rucksack or swimming bag as they tend to move around during the day so my son found he didn't want to keep returning to our room.
We went to the steak restaurant twice, it was very pleasant, quiet and nice to have waiter service. After a few days though we cut back and only ate twice a day. Plenty of drinks on offer, the beach boys will bring drinks to you on the beach.
Towels on sun beds, ok so after day 3 of not getting a sun bed I got up early and left my towel on a sun lounger, it was never moved. There look old but they do the job, didn't sun bathe much as it was too hot, mainly read in the shade.
I loved everything about it, first time Club Med, first time Mexico, it was hot but the a/c stayed on in our bedroom most of the time. Would return and many try one of the newer type rooms though.

Room Tip: We had a sea view room, wonderful to listen to the sea, very quiet and we slept well
2 Thank happyhelent
Connecticut
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We recently spent 7 days at the Club Med in Cancun and our stay was fantastic! Our room, the beach, the snorkeling, the parasailing, the food, the activities …. everything was great!! My only concern is with one of the restaurants - Las Cazuelas. Admittedly we were there in late July when it is typically very hot, but the heat inside this restaurant was simply unbearable!! Several people got up and left, and I wish we had as my sister became so over-heated that we had to wrap ice in our napkins and place it on her neck!!! I'm not sure if it's because of the design of the building, or just the hot weather in general, but there was absolutely no air flow in the restaurant and it was incredibly hot!! One more thing - the wifi (which you have to pay for) is spotty at best. Overall, the resort was fantastic and I would definitely go back again!!

3 Thank teacher860
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Located way out on the tip of the peninsula, this resort has a reef side, a sandy beach side and a backs up to inland lakes. Older, newer and newest room types provide a variety of options and locations to stay. Food is fresh and available banquet style many hours a day. Other options for food service are available at off hours and with reservations. Bars make nice drinks and the beach boys run all day long. A ton of activities and events to participate in or just do nothing if you prefer. Programs for kids of all ages. Went in 2012 and liked it so much we went back in July 2014.

6 Thank Kurt L
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I have to admit that I did not stay here, but I really want to write a review on behalf of my new friend Israel. We came to Cancun with my 6 year old boy, and wanted to do something active. I've always heard a lot about the reefs in Cancun, but never experienced too much. We didn't really want a whole day excursion with a guide and all of that, so we rented some equipment from our hotel and headed over to the Club Med area to which is also a nature preserve if I understand correctly.

We did not know how to do this, and Israel noticed that my son and I were struggling despite our prior practice in the swimming pool. Had he not come along, we would have no idea that the sea world and reef existed!!! Thank you Israel, for helping my son and I get the right equipment and the experience we need to do this again VERY soon! This in my limited opinion is the best way (outside of diving) to see the amazing world under the sea, and I would recommend that you let Israel and his crew give you the tour to start.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank R0llinSt0ne
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We are just back from 10 days at Club Med in Cancun. We have been to Turks (10 yrs ago) and Guadeloupe (2013) and we truly had an amazing time. We are a family of four (girls 7 and 9) and love the connecting room accommodation where the girls have their room, tv, bathroom and we have our own privacy and with a connecting door that allows us to walk from one to the other room when we want.

The food was very good, especially if you love Mexican food...but it was not Guadeloupe which food-wise was just over-the top!!

The activities and the GOs rock. We went there for the sailing and windsurfing..the wind was not very strong which was great for our 9 year old who learned how to master the catamaran and the windsurfing...now mostly her learning came from my husband but the GOs allowed her to go and would pick her up when she drifted too far on the windsurfing. Huge thanks to Ragab, Dany, Pedro, David and the rest of the sailing team for making this experience truly memorable!!

Given the wind conditions, I decided to get enough courage to join the intermediate tennis lessons every morning..I had not played in 20 years...I had so much fun that even with the scorching heat I was glad to show up every morning..thanks to the Tennis team there with Chui, Elie and the nice GO from Morocco (sorry I forgot your name)

The mini club was good for my 7 year old once she had made a friend she actually wanted to go for a whole day...she is the type to enjoy spending time and doing activities with her family ...she enjoyed the trapeze and the swimming time as well as putting on the mini club show. Special thanks to Chloe!

I was disappointed that outside the trapeze, the kids lass/time for sailing or tennis is only spent with the GOs and dependent on their knowledge level to learn anything...that was different in Guadeloupe where the windsurfing GOs took on 4 kids to windsurfing class as part of the mini-club.

I also tried the water ski for the first time and was able to do it!!

There was some very ice live blues band at cocktail hour at the outside bar which we all enjoyed before heading for dinner.

Fantastic family holiday and a few tears on the bus taking us to the airport yesterday from one of my daughter....thanks for the great time!

Room Tip: Request the connecting room when travelling with kids...rooms starting with the 4000s and 3000s seri...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie0nvacati0n
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I'm just coming back from a week-long stay. This was a family reunion, we were a party of 18 with age ranges 2 to 60+

This was my fifth stay at a Club Med (CM), and to be fair in this review, I have to say that I hold CM to very high standards, especially after past visits to CMs in Itaparica and Punta Cana. I am also the kind of guest who loves to get involves in activities and interacts lots with GOs and fellow GMs.

I reckon most people face a choice between Punta Cana and Cancun. I liked the former most. The village in Cancun is too spread out for my taste, and I think there was no ambiance on the beach, which was also small and crowded. Furthermore, the swimming pool is boring. Cancun CM has in its favour that it offers more aquatic activities (at least water ski is not offered in Punta Cana).

I had read lots of reviews about the rooms. Not only the a/c but also the minibar are definitely noisy. I switched off/unplugged both of them every night to be able to fall asleep. Otherwise, the rooms are ok (clean, right size, etc). And there are no insects in the room whatsoever (big contrast vs Itaparica for example).

GOs: 95% of them do their job just right. They are there to run activities and entertain guests, and most of them deliver exactly that, so congrats to the efficient training system of CM. To make your stay more pleasant, I will mention the remainder 5%.

4% is made up of a handful of GOs who do an outstanding work: TATU (look for this Brazilian at the water ski, great teacher if you have no prior experience in this activity), MATEUS at the bar (another friendly Brazilian, polite and efficient to run the bar area). The week I stayed he was onboarding TITO, a new GO at the bar coming from Republica Dominicana, ask him to surprise you with a cocktail of his own creation, you won't be disappointed!. PEDRO, Mexican who does land sports, I came upon him during a morning walk and on the beach volleyball. He did a much better job at organizing the GMs than Karim, he also got more involved in the activity. DARIO, the shortest in the village, charismatic, entertaining and best of all -professional- guy who does the snorkeling. Special mention to YOUSEF, who had to double up as Chief du village since my second day at the club because the main one had to leave unexpectedly. Anyone who had seen Youseff in Punta Cana a few years ago can tell how he has matured, he is really growing and getting better and clearly (and rightly) being groomed to be a future Chief du village. He is great at hosting events, and at mingling with clients, he really understands the core values and philosophy of CM. And the best one of all, the main chef, JEAN CHARLES. Not only does he organizes his team to prepare delicious food and excellent dishes every day, but he also greets guests and makes sure people are having an enjoyable experience at the restaurants. If you want or miss something he will fix it or do it for you. In a sense, if he wanted, he could be Chief du village one day. Big thanks to him and for the "crêpes de cajeta" he prepared for my family and I. Stay close to these people during your time at CM Cancun and you'll have a more pleasant stay.

And the 1% to avoid, fortunately just made up of two individuals. One is DYESUN. I run upon him by chance on my third evening while he was setting up some chairs for the outdoors night event. My children were sat and he asked them to stand up and kind of started folding their chairs. All I did was asking him what was he doing, and he verbally attacked me in front of my kids and other fellow GMs. It was so shocking and surprising that none knew how to react. Clearly he was already pissed off by something that happened before (not with me). Anyway, a total aberration. Later I learned that he is an American who runs the sailing. An antipathetic character. The other one is UGO, who managed to screw up the Farewell for a group of some 20-30s GMs who were leaving the club. This is supposed to be one of the best moments, when GOs come to wish you a safe trip. However, the situation got tense because the transfer that we had paid and hired through CM not only did not show up but, worse of all, for around 15 minutes no one will explain what was going on. When UGO finally appeared, instead of explaining to everyone what was going on he looked as confused as everyone else and his only comment was "there is nothing I can do, the road is blocked by an accident". We tried to make him understand that he was damn wrong because indeed it was his (CM's) responsibility to make sure we reached the airport at the time we were supposed to do it. Rather than stepping up to the situation and showing his leadership (he was co-replacing the chef du village together with Youseff), he totally fumbled the chance. Neither did he even try to find a solution nor did he assuaged the distressed GMs who saw their bus arriving only after a 30-minute delay. So think twice if you what to hire transfer service from CM, you might be better served just hiring one of the plentiful available taxis.

5 Thank GlobalExpat