“Outstanding hotel and even better service”

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
Ranked #19 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I went with my wife and three kids (14 / 10 / 7). The rooms were great, restaurants top notch and beach perfect. You really can't do better in Cancun with kids.
Kids club was much worse than Punta Cana. Disorganized and the kids / youngsters didn't look like there was much to do. Again, even when we tried, the organization was bad. Since the rest of the hotel / services was so good, we didn't miss this though
Jessica (host in restaurant) made us feel great everyday. She knew all our names and was beyond friendly. Really, really good.
The servers in the restaurant were also great, with Guillermo and Alets also going above and beyond to help us.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RASS_1971
Write a ReviewReviews (6,113)

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We just spent another vacation at club med Cancun and had a great time (5th in 4 years.) The GOs as usual were fantastic particularly at circus where Alex, Victor, Kenny, Rolando, Hannah and Ashley were brilliant and spent a lot of time with my daughter encouraging her to get her different catches. Other stand outs were Pedro in land sports and Ricardo in car wash and the sailing team. The boy GOs put on a fabulous pool party on the Friday night which was a great success. The team at the main bar were also very good which is a challenging job with so many people.
My only concern is the club has added 60 rooms accommodating approx. 300 people but has not added any amenities other than petit club. The gym needs more treadmills and elliptical machines. It is in desperate need of new and more mats- the existing mats are disgusting. There are not enough elastic/rubber bands for the 9.30 am class and more often than not the water bottle was empty and no plastic cups available at 7am. With the extra people there are very long waits at waterskiing and trapeze. Also there are not enough sun beds or umbrellas at the beach and the sun beds have definitely seen better days.
Pros for this club are the activities
the GOs
the location-absolutely stunning
Cons for this club are the lack of sun beds and umbrellas on beach
Wi Fi - absolutely awful
air conditioning in rooms is hit and miss
swimming pool- needs a massive face lift.
We will probably come back because we love the club med concept and the activities are great and you cannot beat the location but management need to think about how better to accommodate 300 more people and keep the older parts of the club updated and fresh.

1  Thank ACM99
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

I just wanna say thank you to Club Med Cancun, all the GO'S and entertainment Director Bola!! You guys do it right. I had a blast and can't wait to return asap. GO's Jennifer, Amanda, Alida, Roberto (responsible for the Teens) , Daniel behind the Bar,Oscar the beach boy and of course Bola made my stay amazing. Thank you again . I hope to be back soon!!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DON P
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I was at CM Cancun in May 2014 as part of a group who reserved the whole CM resort. I stayed in the Jade building and can say it was absolutely wonderful! Most of all the staff of Jade are exceptional Alanna (you are fabulous), Nuri, Elia (very special person), Jonathan, Gabriella, Poco, Carlos and many more that made the trip unforgettable. I stayed 1st floor garden view and it was beautiful.
I needed some special service - a chiropractor and Jade staff had one by end of day! Special Thanks to Jade staff who made me feel like I was at home and taken care of and the cook at Mexican restaurant near Jade for my meals and for personally coming to my table to greet me once I was able to make it back to the restaurant! All of you are incredible! If you believe the people make the place than this is for you, they will do ANYTHING for you.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This review focuses on the facilities and familiy-friendly activities. We vacationed here on August 2014, me (the father) and three kids aged 4 to 14. I am told that since most Club Med resorts were the first to be stablished in a location, they use the best possible location for an all-inclusive resort. This is certainly true for the Club Med in Cancun. The resort occupies a long stretch of beach that forms also a 90 degree angle so that on one side there is a view of the long Cancun beach with the other hotels and resort, but on the other side the view is very open on the caribbean sea. This is the side in front of the building where we lodged (called Aguamarina). The overal beach stretch includes the main beach, a partly rocky but very accessible beach with a "private" reef and the narrower but very empty beach in front of the Aguamarina building, the sailing/kayaking facility and the mexican restaurant. While some of the buildings may have simple, maybe dated rooms, the Aguamarina is brand new and sports double rooms ("master" bedroom and kids bedroom) with one bathroom and 1/2, private balcony or lawn with recliners, pretty much on the beach; and some of them even with shower on the patio! Hard to ask for more.
Differently from resorts sporting 5 or 6 restaurants, here there are a main buffet restaurant, a mexican one and a steak house. We did not try the steak house. Club Med makes up with the quality of the food for the smaller number of venues compared with other resorts. The buffet had a different theme (Italian, french, mexican, caribbean...) every day, all with the highest quality. The dessert buffet was fantastic with a clear french influence and excellent pastry chefs (forget the pathetic, soggy and oversized croissants found in most US chain hotels). Included wines could be better. Premium wines (if you call premium a $ 10 bottle at a US winestore) were overpriced at 4+ times US retail. Included alcohol long drinks and cocktails were perfectly adequate. Espresso at the bar pleased my Italian tastebuds.

The 9-to-5 activities for the kids aged 4 to 10 (small pool, circus, arts and crafts, water sports, games like Pinata, kids meal room at restaurant) were perfect, the best part being the dedication and affection showed by the mostly mexican GO ("gentle organizers") ladies entertaining the kids: My kids cried for days after we left because they were missing Lorena - one of the GOs. I do not have enough words to thank these young GOs for their love of the kids and for allowing me to have some time and space away from my kids. My teenager daughter had a great time getting to know new friends at the teenager club, called "Carwash". She and other teen agers had a great time hanging out by the pool as late as 3 am, but without disturbing other vacationers.Teen ager club includes even water sky! All my kids are asking to go again next year and tell me that this was the best vacation ever.

GOs managing sailing, snorkelin and kayaking activities were friendly and pleasant, mostly competent. Occasionally we had to wait 20 minutes to get a catamaran as there were more people asking for them around 11-am to noon. Tennis private lessons were about $ 40 US for one or two people.

Wifi for one week was about $ 70 and I got it - well worth.

There are also plenty of adult activites: sports competition, classes, yoga, morning walks, live music and DJ dances...the list goes on.

Tourist composition when we were there was about 40-50% French or French-Canadian, 30% US, 10% other European and 10% South American (quite many Argentinians).

Day excursions to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Xel-Ha are expensive and we did not sign up for them. Our recipe: before going to the resort we rented a car and stayed for two nights in Chichen Itza at the wondeful Mayaland hotel. Who needs an organized day trip when you can drive and enjoy the great ruins before the tourist hoardes get there?

7  Thank deocabiro
Reviewed 24 August 2014

fabulous stay on what i felt like was a secluded part of the peninsula. rooms were typical club med quality, though air conditioning was not as good as expected food was good, but too much grouper. activities were very good - learned to waterski! beaches were good, though i didn't need to buy silver on the beach

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ledgeroni
clubmedofficial, Owner at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2014

Thank you for the review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the secluded location, variety of activities, and food. We are sorry that you did not have proper air conditioning and will be following up with the property regarding this! Thank you again for informing us of your experience. Come back again soon!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We spent a week at CM Cancun and had a great time.

The beach is beautiful, it's the nicest beach I have been to and I have traveled a fair amount in the Carrib, perfect for small children. The buffett food is good w/ a wide variety. We also enjoyed both the steak and Mexican restaurants. The had a great reggae band one night and overall a wide variety of entertainment and things to do other than the beach.

Finally, the Car Wash ["teen club"] was excellent. I need to call out Ricardo, who does an excellent job corraling the teens as they come into the hotel, befriending them and helping them to form a club. My 17 and 15 y olds made many friends. It was so so sad when they all came down to reception to see us off. They were all hugging each other and misty eyed, a really nice seen. We barely saw our kids because they had so much fun [thanks again Ricardo!].

I would also like compliment the following for a job well done: Carlos [in the dining oom - first week at work], Daniel at the bar and Abrahim bringing dinks on the beach.

There were no downers or negatives, but if you are expecting a 5 star hotel w/ top notch dining and rooms, this is not for you. It is geared towards families and activities and does a great job at that. The rooms are a bit spartan, but the maid staff keeps them very clean.

Other general comments/tips:
- contrary to the recent reviews, we had no issues w/ the French [I would say the resort was 80% French our week].
- The WIFI does not work well, better to upgrade your cell plan to international before you go. This is a good idea if you are going w/ older kids so you can communicate w/ them via text.
-the dinks were good and not poured lightly.
-You may need to get up a bit early to reserve a chair if you are with a large party.

Overall, we had a great family vacation and would return to ClubMed.

Room Tip: chose a room off of the first floor, it can be loud at times as people walk past the bldg