“Nice Hotel - quiet, clean, mostly happy with our stay.”

Presidente InterContinental Cancun Resort
Ranked #14 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
Fishers, Indiana
“Nice Hotel - quiet, clean, mostly happy with our stay.”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This is one of the older hotels in Cancun, but I must say they do an excellent job of keeping it in great shape, and I found it very clean. The service everywhere was very good.
Saw some complaints about "hard beds"--- but We liked the beds here, and slept like a newborn baby as the beds were comfortable and the rooms quiet even as we were on the 2nd floor close to the elevators.

First, I will start with a couple of issues but they were relatively minor or were remedied to our satisfaction. Upon check in we found there were no King beds available, and were sent to a room with two double beds. Due to the way the hotel has rooms thru Funjet vacations, you don't get a bed "guarantee", just a room type selection. Not a big deal, and the nice girls at front desk held a King room for us and we were in it 48 hrs later. We stayed in the std. Rooms facing the ocean and we were on the 2nd floor. Rooms had a very nice ocean view.
2nd minor issue-- one night we ordered room service during a rainstorm-- they initially indicated a 25 minute delivery to our room, however 2 hrs later still no food. I am assuming they just got slammed for food at 9:15 at night as that is when we ordered. Not sure what happened, eventually we did get our order, even though it was incorrrect-- the hotel comped the room service at no charge, without asking , and were very apologetic about it. The hotel handled both these issues very well.
Mixed drinks-- heard rumors the bars everywhere in the Hotel zone and at the hotels are notorious serve cheap booze, and cut their booze with water., both me and my GF had a "double tequila on the rocks" at the lobby bar and didnt even get a buzz--so that made me wonder?

On another note, they do have "Timeshare" sales people here- they only approached me once and I declined, and they did not harrass me again. I would like to say, I wish they would not camp at the front door and be the very first thing I had to experience. But, they did not continually pester us as I have seen at other hotels.

I did like that this is a quiet hotel, not a bunch of loud thumping music all the time at the beach, and it's not really a "kids" hotel, so I saw mostly couples which was appealing to us.

The beach is very nice, lots of chairs available, and the beach service was very good as well.
The one large outside restaurant, has excellent food-- and the breakfast buffet every morning was fantastic, if you are on a diet don't go, lol.
Outside you have two Cabana type areas that serve burgers, wings and sandwiches, again-- we found excellent service and food here as well. Pricing was resonable as well, the breakfast buffet is up there $$ though.
If you need transportation, right outside the hotel is a bus stop if you wish to take the bus anywhere, and taxi is available right outside as well. If you walk about 10 -15 minutes towards the crazy part of the hotel zone w Coco Bongo etc-- its right there. And closer still is a hair stylist and a few massage, pedi locations within a 5 minute walk.
Overall we were very happy with our stay, I would come here again. They have a very polite staff that is sincere in wanting to provide a great experience.
I would recommend the Hotel Presidente' as a nice place to stay for a romantic, restful vacation in Cancun.

1 Thank Fastfish70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The Intercontinental is known for having the best beach on the Hotel Zone. That matters because many hotels here have lousy beaches or really none at all. They have a concrete bulkhead, and the ocean at high tide comes right up to it. Lots of other hotels that have only a small strip of sand from their building to the water, which means that all the people who want to sit near the water are jammed together in a small space. The beach here isn't huge. At high tide, it's maybe 50 meters from the buildings to the water, but it also drops off pretty gradually into the deeper water with no rocks and lots of smooth sand. It faces North-Northwest, which means it doesn't get the big, pounding waves that hit most of the beaches on the southern part of the Hotel Zone when the wind is up.

The hotel has been remodeled recently, and the public spaces and rooms are reasonably bright and modern. The food in the club room is pretty nice and abundant. Service is friendly although not always competent. So if you get a good price, this is a great place.

Room Tip: Upgrades seem to be readily available, so it doesn't hurt to ask.
1 Thank PCVM
Hugo, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This place has the best beach! I walked the beach where some of the huge resorts are and found a strip of sand. I would have been so disappointed to be anywhere else. Also, the breakfasts that we ordered for room service were outstanding. Now for the things that need improvement: First, if this place is trying to compete with the Marriott and Hilton hotels of the world then I suggest that they focus on the service. I think bathrobes should be in the rooms. Next, I should not have to get my own menu when I am dining at the bar lounge by the beach. The tables in the restaurant should be cleaned and set for dinner. We had a table that had so many finger marks and smear marks that I chose not to go back. I saw the waiter put glass cleaner on the table without removing the place mats! There needs to be some serious training on the service end. Also, we had to ask for everything such as: complimentary bottle water, our fridge to be unlocked, cream, sugar, and bath towels. I would think a hotel with a coffee maker in the room would replenish coffee each day, however, they will replenish it for a charge. I have never come across that in any hotel stay. The rooms are comfortable and contemporary.

Room Tip: floor 4, 5 or 6 overlooking the ocean.
1 Thank 7wonderstraveler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Presidente InterContinental Cancun Resort, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear 7wonderstraveler,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services. I am pleased to note that you found our breakfast to be outstanding and the rooms to be comfortable.

However, I sincerely apologize for you did not find our level of service to your liking and truly sorry for the poor experience you had in the restaurant. We regret that these aspects have negatively impacted your overall experience with us. This is definitely not up to our standards as we always strive to keep all our amenities in tip-top shape. Rest assured that your comments will be forwarded to the hotel's management and will be used to consider improvements where possible.

Once again, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We all hope that you give us another chance so we can make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I have been staying at the Intercontinental Cancun, part of the El Presidente Intercontinental Group for the last few years for both business and pleasure.

The good aspects:

This property has the best beach in Cancun, hands down.
The rooms are classic and even with a garden view you cannot fail to be impressed.
Breakfast Buffet is our standing.
Location: Close to the action but far away from the noise and Spring Breakers

The Bad News:

All around slow and bad service. At the restaurants, and specially at the bar the service was not even 2 star!
The infrastructure around the hotel is in need of a serous overhaul and this is needed soon.
Check-in and Check-out is an ordeal, even for club members
help is always slow, ill equipped and not prepared.

Bottom Line

Go for the beach, stay for the great rooms, and the quiet demeanor. Get it for a bargain and you will be happy.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the high numbered rooms on the Lagoon side for a special but not costly upgrade
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jose P
Buford, GA
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The Intercontinental Hotel-Cancun is a difficult property to rate--it can be a "5" or a "2", depending upon what is important to you. I finally landed on a "4", and found that over 5 nights recently spent it grew on me to where I really liked it.

You will like this hotel if:

1. You are looking for a nice, quiet hotel to enjoy the beach and spend some chill out time. The beach is the best in Cancun (having spent 5 trips to other properties in recent years) with wide flat beach and very little wave action. Very clear water and safe for kids--you can walk out over 25 yards.
2. This is a quiet hotel--it does not have hopping discos or even loud lounges for that matter. No blaring music around the pools or beach. If you are looking for a location to lay on the beach or pool and read a good book and soak up some rays, you will love this place. Plenty of lounge chairs to go around in shade and sun.
3. Keeping in line with the quiet theme, it is close enough to the main strip to walk there, but far enough away that you do not hear it or have to face the crowds and traffic associated with it.
4. HIghly trained and customer focused staff--they remember your name and aim to please. The concierge and front desk manager are superb. The entire staff is concerned about your comfort and happiness.
5. Rooms recently renovated in a modern style--attractive.

And if may not like this hotel if these things are important to you:

1. As mentioned in other reviews, this is one of the oldest properties on the hotel strip. It does not have infinity pools, heated jacuzzis(they have jacuzzis, they just are not heated), and many of the rooms do not have balconies--just the top and bottom floors.
2. No high energy night life--in fact, very little night life for those interested in that within the hotel. You will have to travel outside the hotel for the partying.
3. Restaurants are OK for breakfast and lunches, but only mediocre for the night meals. Best to try some of the great restaurants outside the property.
4. They keep the property up pretty well given it's age, but it does seem a little tired. It is not a flashy resort.
5. This can be a plus or minus, depending upon what you are looking for, but this is not an all-inclusive hotel. I like that, as I don't like being tied to specific restaurants or menus. But others like the free flowing alcohol and food in an all-inclusive. This is another reason the property is probably more quiet--less drunken revelers consuming free booze.

All in all, the staff is what makes this property raise up to a 4 rating. They are all about service!

Room Tip: Go with the Club Lounge rooms for balconies and free breakfast/appetizers
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank nantucketdreamer
College Park, Maryland
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed here with a girlfriend in March 2013 for 2 nights - this hotel is clean, continental breakfast is provided free with our club room (ocean view, high floor), including snacks and drinks!! I was really surprised that breakfast was not continental but it was full and hot breakfast :-) I don't eat much and drink so all-inclusive does not work for me! However, we just got back from Punta Cana and stayed in all-inclusive resort and I kinda love it ;-) WiFi in room was not free although the club have free WiFi! When we arrived at this hotel, they tried to sell us a timeshare, not a good welcome esp when guests are tired and would like to go straight to their rooms!

This is my second time in Cancun and am quite fine in taking public transportation ($2/each way) to shops, etc.!!!!

Best Beach - my kind of beach (fishies on clear water on beach) just like the North Beach of Isla Mujeres with calm water!!!! I love Cancun and Isla Mujeres and will be back!!

¡ Feliz y Prosperous Año Nuevo!

Room Tip: Club room, ocean view, high floor!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I went to this hotel for only one night and it was very nice! I had a garden view room and it had a hammock with a pretty big balcony! The breakfast was to die for! Seriously, the food was just so good. If this hotel as an all inclusive hotel then I'd definitely see myself actually staying there for a week long vacation. The beach was so wonderful and their beach chairs and towels were very nice! It was nice and quiet and the sand was perfect. The beach (and sand) is completely different from the hotel zone area. The water is so calm and shallow with absolutely no waves! I would definitely recommend this hotel. It just really depends if you like calm beaches or you like the big waves and if you like louder resorts or calm ones like this hotel. I think it's all preference. Great place though!
One thing (that could be fixed easily) is the shower. It was barely draining and it pooled a lot when I showered which was very annoying but I was there for one night so I didn't bother to have them come fix it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo