“cancun vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“cancun vacation”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Very nice hotel and grounds. All the rooms are ocean view, definitely get the balcony it's worth it.
Staff was very gracious and helpful. Food was very good. Restaurants were generally ok, however if you like sushi, the Japanese restaurant food was average. Activities were also very good. Excellent hotel and package for family vacation. Something to do for all ages.
Location is good too. Easy inexpensive access to down town cancun.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,045)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Queretaro City, Mexico
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is the first time that I have stayed at this hotel (or any Iberostar for that matter) and was not disappointed. Have to say that I am a frequent visitor in Cancun and have stayed in several great all inclusive hotels, so my review has always a comparison from the other hotels. I have to say that the high point of this hotel is its pool area. There are several pools and all the outside area is very well kept. It is a large area with pools of different sizes. There even is a kids zone pool with several slides and a pirate ship. All these pools make you feel not crowded at all even when the hotel is at capacity. The beach area is also very big and it is very nice too. The rooms are average in size, they look a little bit old and very poorly lit. Food is OK, but fell short of other all inclusives that I have been in terms of variety and flavor. About service from the staff, some of them are truly helpful, but some others didn't seem to care. None of them are rude and wouldn't rate it as bad service; but again, comparing with other all-inclusive; it fell short. This hotel is a nice option for families who spend a lot of time in the pool or the beach.

Room Tip: Looks like all rooms in the hotel have an ocean view, so don't think it really matters which roo...
3 Thank Fernando M
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 12 August 2014

excellent resort. food, drink, service, activities, location-all wonderful. highly recommend. room acceptable. food, especially buffet, very good. the steak restaurant was only poor food outing. service outstanding from minute one to leaving. this was a family reunion vacation with all ages. there was something fun for everyone. thank you iberostar Cancun!

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was there for 6 night and went to most of the specialty restaurant. I tried to eat at the steak restaurant but they said it was booked until next Tuesday. Which I was leaving on Sunday and I started on Monday. Guest service said check everyday to see if there any opening. I asked why are they booked, she said people book on line before they come. When visiting the other restaurant there were only 2 or 3 table seated every half hour but guest server said they are booked solid. It was just two of us. You just can't walk up and be seated at any of the specialty and be add to the list. You must do reservation a day ahead. Everything else great, most of the staff went out of the way to make your stay great. My wife is handicap at the main restaurant staff went out the way to help her especially Mario and the management staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank dmaclin36
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I had the time of my life at Iberostar Cancun. From beginning to end the staff did everything possible to make my stay perfect. The rooms are very nice and clean thanks to the tireless work of our housemaid Esperanza who always greeted me with a smile when I saw her in the hallway. The restaurants were all good but the Gourmet one was head and shoulders above the rest I just wish we hadn't waited so long into our trip to go see we had time to go again. All in all the Iberostar Cancun was a very good hotel and one I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room, the view is brilliant
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank domchris9
Antioch, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Iberostar Cancun is a beautiful hotel with grounds that is very well kept. There are numerous pools and the beach is just magnificent! Food is decent but not memorable even with the 4 specialty dinner restaurants it has. But the buffet does provides a variety of food. Quality of alcoholic drinks can be better and stronger. We've been to other all inclusive hotels that served stronger drinks. Hotel Service from restaurant to housekeeping was exceptional! I think this hotel is perfect for families and big groups since when we were there 70%-80% of the people staying at the hotel were mostly families (with babies, teens, etc.). For this trip, my husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary, and despite the beautiful hotel grounds when you constantly see kids and teens the romantic atmosphere decreases. For couples looking for a romantic/honeymoon getaway I would highly suggest looking in to an all adults resort or a hotel that has an adults only portion. Also, if you want peace and quiet and you looking in to sleeping a lot, try to get a room on the higher floors. We had a balcony room on the 3rd floor and was awoken by the activities happening in the pool area. Again, I say this hotel is great for families since they have plenty of activities throughout the day. The balcony room we had was fine but nothing over the top. What made us enjoy our room was the balcony with the direct ocean view. If you go to Cancun, always try to get an ocean view room. Wifi service was inconsistent but we were able to face time with our son in the Bay Area everyday. Gym was ok. The hotel spa has your basic amenities steam, sauna, hydro-pool which is for free and where we spent most of our time in since it wasn't busy and hectic like the outdoor pools. Spa services cost for me were out of my price range(i.e. $300 for 60 min couples massage). The spa is nice but I've been to better ones. We went to Bamboo spa instead. Please read separate review for that one. The hotel nightly shows was a disappointment for us, it was just too cheesy! We did only go to 1 show but that's because it was so bad that we didn't care to return the following nights. Shows seemed geared to kids!
If I were to travel with family, most likely I will consider this hotel again. Lastly, here's a couple of tips:
1.) Try to book your flight arrival time closer to check-in time(3pm). We arrived at 7am and I slept in the lobby until noon waiting to get a room while my husband started to sample the buffet.
2.) If they can accommodate, which means not a lot of people checking in, you can do a late check out until 4 or 5pm and pay $10 for every hour. So, check out is at 12 and you want to leave at 4pm that will be $40.
3.) During our 6 day stay, we used American dollars to tip, pay the bus, shop in downtown Cancun, to tour Chichen Itza. Basically, we did not have to convert our cash.
4.) Take the bus to go anywhere such as the malls.It is safe, clean and just $1 per person.
5.) Try not to eat out, we ate at Hard Rock and spent $60 for 2 drinks and 1 appetizer! And that is what your all inclusive hotel is for but we always go to Hard Rock for our souvenirs!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our ocean view balcony room (3rd floor) but if you want peace and quiet and you are looki...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank SanMiguelgrl
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to post your vacation experience at our IBEROSTAR Cancun.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our installations and the services during your stay.
The comments on your experience with us are very valuable because it helps us to give a better service to our guests. We will review your points with the Department heads.

We hope see you again on your next vacations and spend with us another holiday.

Warm regards,

Quality Manager
IBEROSTAR Mexico
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

If going out of hotel very expensive buses r amazing very cheap hotel excellent but no baked beans food fab entertainment good but sometimes to much Thomas Cook rep amazing thought bars would stay open more than 01 00 in the morning to early need something more on night beach disco or disco on the front went on pirate ship fab worth the money also went coco bongo worth the money went on VIP fab also went on jungle tour it was fab speed boats fab and Antonio was brill looked after us

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are delighted to read your comments and learn that your stay was memorable. We are proud that to read our staff contributed to making your stay so enjoyable.

Comments like yours motivate us constantly to do our best not only to maintain the quality of service we provide, but also to go beyond our guests’ expectations. Please rest assured that we will pass your suggestions about the food to our Executive Chef for his consideration.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon!!

Kind regards,