“25th Wedding Anniversary Trip”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We got back from the Sun Palace about two weeks ago and can't stop looking at the pictures to remember the wonderful time we had!! We upgraded to the Concierge level and it was great!! The room was beautiful and the hot tub was wonderful and positioned so that you could see the ocean!! Loved the view from our deck overlooking the ocean. The beds were SO comfortable and the bedding was good quality. The resort credits were fun to spend!! We would usually get a massage on our trips but now we were able to get two!! We have stayed at 5 other all inclusives and always wanted to try a dinner on the beach but never did. On this vacation we had two dinners on the beach, one because we were on the concierge level and one from the credits. Fantastic!!! We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and my husband surprised me with a vow renewal on the beach!! A huge thank you goes out to Rebecca the wedding planner who planned the whole event. It was magical and a day I will never forget!! She was so sweet and very accommodating!!! The Sun Palace was the perfect place for our 25th celebration!! Service and staff were excellent!! What ever you needed, they would get. A big shout out to Elejandro for keeping us laughing and entertained each day!! Didn't get to write names down but Karina and Strella (not sure of the spelling?) on the beach were great and kept the drinks coming with their friendly personalities.Roger at the outside lunch restaurant was also good. Also, Cruz in thelunch buffet was a gentleman, pulling out our chairs every day and doing a great job with his pleasant personality!! Liquor was top shelf and drinks were not watered down. Pools were beautiful and kept very clean. Beach was rough and did not like to drop to go into the water. We only had two issues during our trip. One was booking at the spa. Making a reservation for a services was tough. Appointments were booked wrong or people were standing at the desk for long periods of time. We saw many people leave aggrivated or talked to people whose appointments were booked for the wrong day or time. The other issue was the Italian restaurant. We ate there the first night we stayed at the resort and it was good and quick. A few nights later we went as a group of 6 and dinner took 3 hours!! We were the last table in the restaurant! Everyone was hungry and crabby! Not consistant. Loved the Oreintal Lounge!! We only ate there the last night and wished we had ate there more!! We did room service twice, both for breakfast and the food was quick, hot and delicious!! Mr. Pablo Winkler, the General Manager was also around to make sure things were running smoothly and to answer questions. Very nice man!! Thank you for the great job you do!! We would love to return to the Sun Palace in the future!! Very enjoyable vacation that we would recommend to anyone! Did not to the sales pitch but had friends that did. They felt pressured to buy. We did talk to some people who did buy in previous years and they seemed very happy. We like to try different resorts each time but the Sun Palace is definitely a resort we would return to!!

4  Thank deb373
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Your review is proof that when you are well disposed to enjoy you will do so. A very ample description of our services and good name memory. These kids will be commended thanks to you and their outstanding performance. I thank you in their name.

We are changing our activities reservation system and I will definitely look into the inconsistence in the service at Tratto.

We will always be happy to see you come back. Just let us know when.

Cordially,

Reviewed 11 March 2012

From the moment we arrived at this all-inclusive hotel, we were so happy to be there. I'm really picky and couldn't find one thing to complain about. The atmosphere of this couples only hotel was just what we wanted. In Cancun, on the beach, but far from the crowds. Just a bus ride away from shops and restaurants this hotel was total R & R. The food was great. The service just couldn't have been better. The sophisticated but restful room decor was gorgeous. I loved the staff who just couldn't do enough. No papaya availabile on the buffet, a staff person overheard me tell that to my husband and brought me some without asking. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Every room was oceanview or oceanfront. Not a bad room in the place
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sondra62

It will be our pleasure to have you back. And we'll try to improve our record.
It is our privilige to serve you in a manner that avails you of tranquil and invigorating days.

That is what vacations with us do.

Your eloquent comments are very dear to us.

With highest gratitude,

Reviewed 11 March 2012

This is a very well managed property - and we had a really good week here in March.

Every employee - and I mean every employee smiles and greets you. all day every day. They are really engaged at this hotel - and understand that being friendly and helpful is a big part of making a resort rise above its peers.

The food was great. Its a bit of a "risk" resort as 2 of the restaurants are planned to be outdoors all the time - and this week the first few days had too much wind - so I was concerned that we may be limited to the indoor choices. the hotel adapted though - and set up "restaurants" in the ball rooms.

A caution if you're attracted to the "free concert promotion" that the Palace puts on. Transportation is chaos. We had tickets to Enrique Iglesias. The public relations rep - Carla - told us that if we went at 5:30 - we could enjoy a dinner at any one of the moon palace restaurants before the concert. not exactly the case. When the busses drop you off for the concert - its on a back road behind the golf course. dead in the middle of a swamp. you walk down a path and over a couple holes - only to find out that you're actually a 25 minute walk away from the nearest Moon Palace building. They wanted to funnel everyone into the concert area - where the meal selection was slices of Dominos Pizza for a cost. Not sure why the transportation needed to put everyone into the back end of the golf course 2.5 hours before the warm up band was even scheduled.

Realizing I'm getting a bit wordy......apologize. just fair warning to future free concert takers. spend the $28 on a cab to get out there on your own. then take a golf cart shuttle to the concert - and I'd advise eating at whichever other Palace resort you're staying at. it was chaos.

and the ride home.......a few thousand people leaving at the same time - all trying to find a bus on this gravel side road in the swamp - I'll leave it to you.......

Back to the good parts. great beach. good food. fantastic staff. We would absolutely stay at Sun Palace again - just would not partake in their concert promotions.

Room tips - stay in something that has a higher number on any floor. better views of the beach.

transport to and from the club and restaurant zone.......the bus system in the hotel district is excellent. the R2 and R15 run up and down the hotel zone - 8.5 pesos per person. and there's a bus every 5-10 minutes or so.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank travel4funCanada

Firstly: Thank you for your very good words on the Sun Palace. I am always genuinely thankfull for our guests that have a good time.

The reasons you state in your comments about the concert are exactly my limitations not to attend these massive events. Most reviews were very good. But as you, I would've been very dissatisfied. To each their own. It is a pity, you must agree, that in trying to do something out of the ordinary-not cheap at all for us- and include it to many of our guests we end up by not satisfying your expectations.

I hope our service, rooms and food made up for this situation and I will look forward to your next visit-sans concert.

Most respectfully yours,

Reviewed 11 March 2012

This was our second stay at the Sun Palace – just as wonderful trip as the first. We stayed for 6 nights in the Junior Suite Ocean View. It couldn’t get much better – a wonderful view of the beach, a large Jacuzzi tub in the room and a massive comfortable bed.

We received the $1500 resort credits which we used on the day spa, lobster and champagne beach dinner and tours. As we were there on our honeymoon, they also gave us a lovely private dinner on the balcony outside the La Tratto Italian Restaurant. Daniel, our waiter was a standout – incredibly friendly and attentive.

All meals in the resort are wonderful, we particularly loved The Steak restaurant with fresh seafood and meat cooked to order.

We couldn’t fault our stay at Sun Palace on either occasion, and will certainly return.

3  Thank PeteandSiobhan

I am always in awe of our guests who travel such great distances.
I love flying very much...its just the time it takes between take-off and landing that drives me nuts!

By the time it takes you to get from Sydney to America I would've eaten at least two stewardesses, a couple of first class pasengers or worse.

Which is why your review has a double significance for me. Just imagine if after all this travel you weren't happy. I am really elated that you've found us to be a happy destination and very honored that it is your second time.

I will look forward to your next visit. It will always be our pleasure.

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2012

We had a wonderful vacation this year at the Sun Palace (Feb 2012). Excellent food and drinks, no kids ripping around, excellent beach. Close to everything we need.

Room Tip: Use your resort credits to upgrade to concierge level. It was worth it.
5  Thank JSMthetraveller
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

A very glamorous review.

Having no kids around is our specialty. Thank you for enjoying your stay!

And for a very fetching title.

Will see you soon,

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2012

This place is great. No surprises, just great. $1500 credit is the real deal. Use it. Beautiful beach, they set up cushy lounge chairs every day. Staff is friendly. Drinks are weak but plentiful (and they'll make them strong if you ask). Food is on par. Weather was great, even with a hurricane lurking. Rooms are beautiful. Bathrooms are luxurious (champagne in the shower helps). The nice thing about this place is the majority of rooms (all of them?) have a beautiful ocean view. Massages were amazing, 60 minute and freebies by the pool.

I truly think this is one of the better all inclusive places around the globe. Great for a nice relaxing vacation.

Traveled with a hot mama in Aug 2011

We will return.

Room Tip: Use your resort credit to upgrade your room to concierge level! Its free!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ninnyninny

And I loved your title! That says it all.

I do have to take exception on the issue of the drinks: Espcially in the hotter months, ice melts very quickly. If you let your drink sit for more than a few minutes it will indeed become "soggy". However, the alcohol content is the same. We do have a standard measure for our drinks and usually use either a jigger or a pourer to ensure that our consumption is within range.

But given that in general we met with your approval, I hope to have the pleasure of a soon to happen return visit.

Cordially,

Reviewed 9 March 2012

We've stayed at the Sun Palace twice and can see us returning again and again. All the staffs are incomparible, I can not single out anyone that has given us a bad experience yet. From the moment we stepped out of the shuttle we havve been provided with excellent experience. The front desk, conceirge, wait staff, entertainment and housekeeping are just too good. One windy day, we had left our door open and the door slammed and broke the lock... in no time the maintenance person was there to fix it! Each time we asked for something extra, we didnt have to wait long and was acted upon immediately and courteously. I have to give special mention to Vanessa, Sam, Alejandro, Arturo, Jorge, Daniel, Manuela and another one at the main floor conceirge who is most helpful. There are still others, I wish I had written their names down, they all deserve to be acknowledged. There is one thing that kind of bothered me throught our stay... I noticed that the glass windows from the outside really need some attending! Good job Sun Palace!!!

Room Tip: Conceirge ont eh fourth with the low number is best for me but the balcony is rather small.
4  Thank Fay G

Thank you for your kind mention of both our property and its people. This is our best gift from you! It does work two ways. If you are happy so are we.

I was wondering if you could be more specific in your observation of the glass doors from outside that need attention. Do you mean the balcony doors in the room or in restaurants or maybe those that lead to the pools? This is a very big issue in terms of safety and it is important for us.

Thank you again for your very nice words,