“Heaven on earth - well worth 10 hour flight”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 27 May 2012

This was our fourth visit to Mexico and the best. In the past we have stayed at the El Doraodo Seaside Suites, El Dorado Royale and the Excellence Playa Mujures. The Sun Palace exceeded our expectations by far. We researched for months prior to booking the Sun Palace and absolutely made the right decision. We booked through Caribbean Warehouse who took care of all our requests.

We contacted the hotel prior to arrival as this was a special visit (birthday and anniversary). Mr Winkler could not have been any more helpful. He managed to accommodate our every request. When we arrived the room was decorated with birthday banners and streamers. A birthday cake was also in the room with a bottle of champagne. It was our anniversary a few days later and we came back from dinner one night to find an anniversary cake together with champagne. The hot tub had also been filled and rose petals were scattered around. This was lovely. Mr Winkler was so helpful and promptly replied to any e-mails I sent. He is truly a credit to the company and a wonderful friendly gentleman.

The transfer from the Airport was quick and smooth – provided by Jumbo Travel. We arrived at the Sun Palace within around an hour of landing at the airport.

Check in was very quick and easy. We arrived, were greeted with a drink, our bags taken away and we were taken up to level 5 to check in. Check in was very quick and within around 15 minutes we were in our room on the sixth floor.

When we got to the room it was amazing – by far the best room we have ever had the pleasure of spending 2 weeks in. It was beautiful, spacious and luxurious. The bed was huge and very comfy. The view was to die for. As this is a concierge room, you have the ability to choose pillows from the pillow menu and aromatherapy for the room. The room is complete with a flat screen television, a DVD player, I Pod station, coffee maker and a double hot tub. The balcony was massive with a luxury double sun lounger and two chairs and a table (and a view like nothing else on earth).

We took advantage of the free 25 minutes back massages and these were great. We also used some of our resort credits to have another couples 50 minute aromatherapy massage. This was out of this world and extremely relaxing. My wife also got the spa set to take home using the resort credits. We used our credits to upgrade to concierge level. The resort credits are easy to use and are a great idea.

The rooms in the Concierge level are stocked with L’Occtaine bath and shampoo products – this is a nice touch and the products were very good.

We ordered room service for breakfast every morning as the view from the room was an amazing backdrop to enjoy breakfast. Room service was delivered very quickly and always with a smile. We left the order on the door each night and chose the time for delivery. It was great. We ordered room service for lunch and dinner a few times via the telephone and this always arrived quickly and always within 30 minutes. At some resorts we have stayed at in the past room service has taken around an hour and a half to arrive.

We asked the concierge if the maid could come between 9 and 12 each day so that our room would be cleaned by the time we went to change for lunch. This was not a problem and was always done. We also asked if our mini fridge could be stocked with particular items. This was also done with no problem. If we needed anything else it was a quick phone call away and done with no problem.

The maids clean the room to a very high spec and the room is extremely tidy and clean once done.

We had a turn down service each night and this was also a nice touch.

As we stayed for 14 nights, we managed to eat at all of the restaurants a few times. None of them disappointed. There was plenty of choice. My wife is a very fussy eater and had no difficulty in finding food that she loved. A special thanks to the staff and the Asian restaurant (and Noel). One night we ate there it looked like it may rain. We had already ordered and my wife was concerned that the rain would come before we ate. The staff very kindly offered to serve our food in dishes so that we could take the food away if we wished. This was a good touch. We took the food and went off to out room to enjoy our dinner with the amazing view that our room had to offer.

In the Steak restaurant the steak was always cooked to our satisfaction. My wife is very fussy with steak – one sight of red and she will not eat as she likes them well done. The steaks came back perfectly for her each time.

The waitresses on the beach served food and drink with a smile and were always on hand to cater for our every need.

We used our resort credits to go to the Chefs dinner. This was great. The hotel manager, Mr Winkler, is on hand to translate what the Chef (Edgar Poot) had to say. The Chef demonstrated how he prepared each course and Mr Winkler gave his very amusing take on the translation of this. We enjoyed a 6 course dinner with wine to match. Each course was stunning. There was also a live band on hand to entertain.

The Sun Palace catered to our every need. Every request we had was granted. To those who have complained, the hotel does mind read – if you do not ask they cannot help.

Every member of staff that we encountered was great. The staff appear to be very well trained and extremely courteous. They cannot do enough to help make your stay special. They are always on hand with a smile. A special mention and thanks must be given to Pablo Winkler, the general manger, who was great.

I would like to address a point raised by a previous reviewer, re towel game, there is no towel game, there is an abundance of beds and plenty of towels and the boys how work on the beach will move the beds to any location you wish on the beach, if you don’t get on the “front row” don’t worry the sun shines on all the beach not just the front. The sun does set behind the hotel but don’t worry its not till approx 16.30 that the beach will be in the shade.

There is self service ice cream and popsicles, these can be had after 10.00 am and are located at the large pool snack bar.

We made use of the local transport, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel, there is a frequent bus service, there are many different types of bus, anyone will take you to the plazas, the driver will tell you when to get off. We felt safe at all times, and on a few occasions even enjoyed a travelling busker who would hop on and serenade the travellers.

To conclude we did our research when booking the Sun Palace, it is exactly as stated on the box, this is not a lively hotel, this is a hotel suited for a relaxing romantic stay. One thing I am happy to say is we never encountered any rowdy or inebriated guests who seam to think that because it is AI they have to drink the cost of the holiday to feel they have got a good deal.

We will be booking to go back next year as soon as the flights are released. The Sun Palace is well worth the 10 hour flight

Room Tip: Book and enjoy
15  Thank scotstravel'r
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

One thing I recommend for anyone reading this: Write me! Taking the guesswork out really reaps benefits and I am only too happy to be able to help.

Now, as I may not identify them I can tell you this couple stole my heart. They are just fabulous people. They came here to enjoy and that is precisely what they did with the added benefit that the Sun Palace enjoyed hosting them.

There are quite a bit of couples that are very pleasing to know and be around of, each in their very own way. God! Some days I love my job!!

A big hug to both of you.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

We just got back from spending a week at the Sun Palace and it was wonderful! Adults only is definitely the way to go.

The room was beautiful and we had a balcony with a gorgeous view of the ocean. I loved going out there in the mornings as the sun was rising to read or to just take it all in.

The staff was great, very attentive and very hard-working. Whenever we called for anything they were at our room in less than 5 minutes. The waiters/servers were great as well.

We did a 50min holistic massage which was amazing and you can you use the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi pool at anytime which we took advantage of.

The food was great especially the Mexican food. I could eat that guacamole all day long!

I have no complaints and I would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Use your resort credit to upgrade to Concierge Level. Well worth it.
4  Thank Roland P

Your review is very enjoyable not only for what it conveys but how it does. I can picture myself at sun-up. It is a fantastic view and as far as I am concerned, the best part of the day.

Although our spa is smaller than in other resorts I think the point is the treatment itself. Your comment on the hollistic massage leaves no doubts as to this.

And finally: The guacamole....It has got to be the best one in town. I just don't know how they do it but like you, I'm very partial to it.

A grand review is what I would call yours. Thank you for your kindness and hope to see you again soon.

With respects,

Reviewed 27 May 2012

This was my first vacation with my boyfriend, and both of our first vacations in over 7 years. Although it was only 4 days, we enjoyed our time! We met amazing people from all over and became great friends with them. Food service was good but the beverage service was outstanding!! ( if you take care of them, they take care of you )

Always promptness in room service!!! And the cleaning staff was fast and effiecient!!! Awesome rooms!!! Very comfortable!!!!!

We absolutely had the most relaxing, beautiful, enjoyable vacation! ;o)

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Pittkage1936

I sincerely hope you will reconsider taking a vacation every 7 years.

As I hope that, given the good time you spent with us, you will consider us for at least a yearly trip.

Thank you for your very eloquent comments.

Sunny regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2012

This is a beautiful resort! We spent 5 days relaxing here and have very little negative things to say. The staff is so helpful and friendly, and treated us with impeccable service. If you needed something, they were at your door in minutes to provide you with it. The service on the beach was awesome. The servers would come by about every 5-10 minutes asking if you needed anything, and were back with your drinks or food just as fast. The resort was so modern and clean, and really felt private despite it being on the very busy Cancun strip. The spa services were amazing! Really the only complaint we could say is the food at times was not that special. We never had anything gross but at times it did not match the quality of the resort. We definitely recommend this resort, and hope we can return again next year.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to concierge level. You get nicer chairs on the beach, a massage for you and your...
2  Thank Georgiapeach83

I've received many comments on the beach servers. They are admirable kids! Because of zoning restrictions we cannot change any structures and I am amazed at the effort they willingly undergo to run up and down the stairs with fully loaded trays. I am so grateful that you took notice.

Thank you for your very kind comments. By next time, and I know there will be a next time, we will hopefully have improved our food to satisfy your tastebuds.

Please receive my very best regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2012

My husband and I went with my daughter and her husband. We travel to Cancun twice a year but this was the first for my daughter and husband. We had the best time. The rooms were beautiful. The staff was great especially Vanessa of the entertainment staff and Raul in the lobby bar/disco. The pool and view of the ocean from the pool was great. The pool has one side that is laid back and the swim up bar is where the volleyball etc. music goes on. Great energy at the swim up pool. The food was excellent! Have been to many resorts in Cancun but the food was the best here, even compared to moon palace. The ocean was beautiful. Overall would recommend this resort. The bar/disco is always about the people that stay in the resort. If they dont join in then it could be boring but we had a blast! Met alot of fun people.

Room Tip: Room 315 ocean view and room 200 lagoon view were both very nice. Both had great a/c and both were q...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Cheryl L

Totally in agreement with you. While the resort certainly has to be good, at the end of the day it is your personality that marks a good or bad sojourn. Through the years I've learned that hotel business is a one on one affair. One cannot expect guests to behave in a predicted manner and this is precisely what makes my job so interesting. Every single patron has their own idea of fun, or relaxation or boredom. One can only try and help along.

I enjoy your comments very much and find them very pleasing and kind. Please do not dealy in returning so that we may serve you better and better each time.

My warmest regards,

Sun Palace….. 5/9/12 – 5/16/12
Couples Resort
This was the second half of our trip to Mexico after spending a week at Cozumel Palace. The transfer was arranged by Palace and went very smoothly, that is if you don’t count having to repack your bags again. We were taken by cab to the Ferry where they load your baggage just like at the airport and then got a porter to wheel our luggage up to Playacar Palace where our driver was waiting to take us up to Sun Palace. We hardly had time for a drink in between it went so well.
We received the usual reception at Sun, the cool drink, cool towel and a flower for my wife. Our room wasn’t ready so we had time to get a bite to eat. More food, I think I gained 10 pounds already….lol
We’ve stayed here twice before and have always been very happy with the service and the entire resort, and again, no kiddies running around.
Palace is going thru many changes, so you need to ask about your current benefits, especially if you are a member. I overheard quite a bit of grumbling from people who expected more from their membership. They make you sit thru this little talk giving you information about the resort before you are allowed to go to your room but they are more interested in pushing the upgrade talk which they state takes only 90 minutes but in reality turns out to be more like 3 to 4 hours of your vacation time. During the reception talk no one talked about upgraded rooms or restricted beach areas which you could use your resort credits to purchase. In fact, most of the employees were just as confused about it as the guest. Again, totally unnecessary most of the beach area went unused…while 75% of the beach was restricted to VIP or concierge guests it went unused day after day. A bad policy, they need to rethink this or let the guest know up front at the check in talk. We did later check on upgrading our room to the concierge level. The room was on the third floor and overlooked the outdoor Steak House Restaurant. Although it was a larger room with a bigger balcony we decided to stay with our room 712 with the much better view. I suggest you check out your room and ask to see the upgraded rooms before unpacking your bags. You may want to change or upgrade.
This is a very nice hotel where you can just lay back and relax (eat and drink and use their pool areas) or you can take advantage of its location and trip around to the many attractions. With the credits Palace offered we took two tours with Aqua World, went to the Chefs Dinner, had the Romantic Dinner (Steak & Lobster tail with Champagne), had manicures and massages, and upgraded wines at dinner and still had a few dollars left over from the $1,500.00 credit.
Restaurants at Sun Palace:
El Alamo…The best of the restaurants at Sun, open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I usually ordered from the grill, from omelets in the morning to Filet Mignon at dinner. Good assortment never had a meal I didn’t like here.
The Steak…. Outdoor Grill…Again very good selection and meals here.
La Tratto….Italian…Hit and miss here, nicest looking of all the restaurants at Sun however the food was not consistent and most people would not call the preparation Italian. Think they need some new menu selections.
Oriental Lounge….Outdoor, top of 1st floor…Thai menu….Good for drinks (Chocolate Martinis) food not to my taste, some people may like it.
Lobby Bar….nice looking but not well organized. Empty most nights and music being played was much too loud. I think it drove people out rather than in.
Went up to Cancun Palace one night to have dinner at Zen. This is an Oriental type restaurant with two Hibachi cooking stations, a Sushi bar, and regular sit down tables for dinner. I think it’s one of the best restaurants in the Palace chain. The food there is excellent, and the service and décor is very nice. Tempura shrimp to tempura ice cream were outstanding. Watch out for the Hot Sauce. Well worth the trip even with the $12.00 cab ride each way. Cab prices have really sky rocketed since we first started visiting Mexico.
Again, out trip went very well and I would definitely recommend both Cozumel and Sun Palace to couples looking for a great vacation spot to either relax or adventure into the many options available. The Sun Palace location gives you many opportunities from water sports to night life all up and down the strip. So go and have a good time….you won’t be disappointed.

2  Thank gcien

Thank you very much for your very kind words on Sun Palace.
The last days of May were very full and I would like to address your observation of the lounges at the beach: They are like restaurant seats. You never know if they will be used or not but you have to have them. We do however have enough for everyone.

I see that other than that you were pleased with our services and that is what we want for our guests. It is good that you took advantage of your credits.

I hope to see you soon again. Lets see what we can do to imporve the pointers you've given us.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Sun Palace is a great place to relax. My Husband a I have come to this resort 4 years in a row. I would definitely recommend to anyone who is looking to relax.

2  Thank Jackie M
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Where else?
Each time you return it is a feast for us. Not only are you very deserving guests but after 4 repeats you've become family. And in Mexico, family is the paramount value.

Relaxing is the key word. We ask for nothing more than to have our guests regain the feeling that life is on an even keel. That's what we are about.

Thank you for validating our raison d'etre. We will see you next time with much pleasure.

Best regards,