“Exceeded Expectations.”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Celebrated our twins 30 th Birthdays. 6 couples. Staff is great, kudos to Karla,Erika,Zazil,Rodolfo,Yenni and Daniel. Remember Adult Couples Only. Ability to visit Beach and Moon Palace properties provided a variety of venues. Food was definitely always above average, sometimes excellent. Rooms were very nice and CLEAN. Beach was very good.Definitely would return.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jim F
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

How sweet it is to see that not only we met but exceeded expectations.
That is certainly a most favorable review.

Thank you so much for mentioning some of our staff who will therefore be getting additional points in our employees' incentive program.

It is always a specila treat for us to be able to host such gracious guests as you. I hope to be able to continue doing so many more times.

Warmest regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (6,380)

Reviewed 3 June 2012

I will start with the bad both to get out of the way, and because sequentially it was the first experience we had at Sun Palace. We arrived at the resort at about 10:30 on a Saturday morning. The lobby was virtually empty, I assume because the departing guests had already left and arriving guests were yet to get there (ah, the advantages of only bringing carry-ons and getting off the plane first). The front desk was all smiles and eager to help. We asked about using our credits to upgrade, but we were confused that the web site described concierge level rooms as smaller than the "lower level" oceanfront junior suite which we had booked. Jaime Ortega immediately jumped-in and offered to show us our options.

One option he showed us was room 612 which had been vacated, but not yet made up. Room 612 was perfect and we immediately told Mr. Ortega. He escorted us back to the front desk, where we finished checking-in, and were promised that they would prioritize making up 612. The desk suggested that we have a look around and check back in a bit. The lunch buffet was not yet open, so we went out to the pool area and had our first drink. After that we checked back with the front desk and were told not yet, but soon, check back again. So we sat down outside the door to the lunch buffet and waited for it to open. After lunch we checked back with the front desk, and got the same advice, not yet, but soon. About that time my wife saw Mr. Ortega and mentioned that it seemed to be taking quite a while for our room to get serviced. His recommendation: "go get drunk." Pardon me?

While we didn't go get drunk, we did continue to cool our heels on one of the most uncomfortable lobby benches. What made this situation aggravating was that the bellman had taken our bags when we arrived so we didn't have our sunglasses, hats, sun screen, and etc. We had no choice but to stay inside. About 2:00 we asked once again about our room and were told to go sit down and they would let us know when are room was ready. We did as instructed. Ten minutes passed, twenty minutes, we watched as a steady stream of new arrivals were escorted to their rooms. Finally I had had enough. I told Erika to please notify whoever was in charge that I was now quite aggravated. She asked me what my name was...what? You don't know who I am after we have been repeatedly asking you when our room would be ready! Of course our room was now ready, but we have no idea how long we had been kept waiting after our room was ready, because no one had taken responsibility for handling this snafu. All told we were kept waiting for four hours to get into a room that was vacant when we arrived. Before you criticize me for wanting my room before the published check-in time of 3:00, keep in mind that one of the published benefits of concierge level is early check-in if a room is available, which we knew it to be. If I have to blame someone, I blame Mr. Ortega. I believe that since Mr. Ortega had been helping us, the front desk people assumed he was doing the follow-through assuring that our room was serviced next. Mr. Ortega apparently thought that was the province of the desk staff. Obviously I cannot be sure who was to blame, but it is clear that there had not been a proper handoff of our needs.

A poor start like we had can often set the tone for a vacation as one tends to start "looking for problems." We made a promise to each other not to do that both because we wanted to enjoy this trip, and because we were visiting a Palace resort primarily because our last visit to a Palace property had been great, and we expected a repeat performance. And, indeed Sun Palace did do a great job overall.

First let me describe the difference between a Junior Suite and a regular room. The Junior Suite has more interior space, but a smaller balcony. Regular rooms are the reverse, larger balcony, smaller room. The balcony of a Junior Suite is big enough for a couple of upright chairs and a small table. The balcony is not skimpy; it just isn't large enough for the luxurious double lounge chair, table, and two upright chairs you find on the balcony of a regular room. We opted for the regular room with the luxurious double lounge chair. I hope luxurious isn't too strong of a superlative, but it was nice enough that my wife slept half the night out there twice, having fallen asleep listen to the breaking waves.

So, what does concierge level get you? Deep down you know without asking that it isn't much, but I will do my best to describe it, so you can decide if it is worth it.

1. Supposedly you get a welcome bottle of Champaign and a bowl of fruit. Ours arrived on day two, no doubt do to the problems we had at check-in. Our $6.00 bottle of "Champaign" turned out to be a $4.00 bottle of white zen--you know that stuff teenagers drink.

2. Petit fours are promised nightly along with turn down service. Ours were spotty, but quite possibly because we tended to go to bed early. It's a nice touch, although I rarely eat the petit fours to be honest.

3. A pillow menu. Don't be shy, order up some pillows and luxuriate. We keep eight king-sized pillows on our bed at home. We didn't quite duplicate that, but we had enough to be quite comfortable.

4. An espresso machine in the room. Regular rooms only have a coffee maker. It is one of those automated machines that use pods similar to k-cups. We don't drink espresso at home, but we both rather enjoyed our little morning cups of coffee.

5. An aroma menu. My wife finally ordered an aroma towards the end of our stay. I couldn't smell it; it was just dumb.

6. A DVD player. Not many movies to choose from, however. But we did watch one.

7. Two 25-minute back massages. We also used $300 of our “credit” for a Couples Massage and then (gasp) paid for another couples massage. We were very pleased with the spa services, but real spa aficionados might be disappointed with the facilities. It is a small resort, so it is not as elaborate as Aventura Spa Palace to name an example.

8. Dinner on the beach. We thought the dinner on the beach was rather silly, but had fun with it. I was worried about insulting the man who was doing all the work, setting things up and serving us. He obviously took great pride in making it special and I didn’t want him to think that we didn’t appreciate it. There are actually two different “dinners on the beach”—the one included in concierge level and the one they charge $300 for. We did the concierge version, and skipped the $300 version based on other reviews here.

9. “Private check-in and check-out. Not sure I see the point. We just went to the front desk.

10. “Exclusive room service Menu.” Apparently you can order offerings from the restaurants when in concierge level, but only from a more limited menu in other rooms. A number of guests seemed to appreciate this option. We never tried room service.

11. A special area for concierge people on the beach. When I read about that, I kind of cringed. I couldn't see myself going to the special area, and what makes one area more special than another area? Well I was wrong. It isn't that the area is so special, but the chairs are much nicer than the chairs in the regular area. They had cushions similar to the luxurious lounge chair on our balcony. This feature probably makes the concierge level "worth it" to us. However, speaking of special areas, you may know that a large portion of the Palace revenue stream comes from timeshare sales (they like to claim it isn't a timeshare, because they jiggered with some of the details, potato/patato). Anyway, their most expensive timeshare "membership" is called Diamond Level. There were three Diamonds in-residence while we were there. They had a special roped off section on the beach where they could lay side by side with their own kind. They had the same luxurious cushions as us proletariat concierge people. They looked totally absurd to me, but I suppose it would have been nice to come down to the beach every morning and have your chair and umbrella ready to go. But this isn't a review of Palace's timeshares.

How was the food, you ask. To be honest, I have to rate the food hit and miss. I had taken my mom on a two week cruise (Azamara line) getting home about a month before this trip. My wife asked how the food on the cruise compared to the food at Sun Palace. Azamara's food was much better. But that is not to say that Sun Palace's food was bad--although the steaks served at "The Steak" were not good. Overall, I can only give the food an OK. My wife who is a seafood eater was much more pleased. I suspect that is the difference. Undoubtedly in Cancun, seafood is more economically sourced than meat. But they could do a little better job at breakfast. The first day at breakfast, they had run out of bacon when I went through the buffet line. It still had not been replenished by the time we finished. Someone dropped the ball on that one, but it never happened again. I tend to be a sweet breakfast guy--pancakes, waffles, French toast. None of them were particularly good. I suspect it is because they mix large vats of batter in the morning and consequently the leaveners are exhausted by the time they cook them. As for the French toast, I never could get them to cook it until it became toast...it was always mushy, which might be a cultural thing...or perhaps the batter they were using was to wet, I can't be sure. My wife had them grill her a little flank steak every morning with which she was quite happy. She said it was much better than the fatty, tough steaks they served at night. Or maybe it was because it had been pounded and marinated. Notwithstanding my critique of the steaks at “The Steak,” the fillets they served in the Italian restaurant were consistently good. In fact the Italian restaurant was overall the most consistent of the dining options.

Free calls home. Palace Resorts has done something I haven't seen before. They have free calling back to the U.S. This was a great idea for a couple of reasons. The long distance vendor that Palace resorts had been using was a bit unscrupulous. Last time we had stayed at a Palace Resort, the long distance vendor had routed the button for “wake-up calls” to the long distance switch. When you pressed the wake-up button, nothing happened. When you went to check-out, you were billed one minute for every time you had pressed wake-up. Someone else here also commented on the former “long distance” issues. So, getting rid of that vendor was a good idea by itself, but also free calls home is probably a real boon to most guests.

Is the physical plant well maintained? The interior spaces are very nice and immaculate. There are a few examples of deferred maintenance on the exterior. There were several “naked” structural supports that I suspect held-up sun shades before Hurricane Wilma. There was a shattered structural glass pane—it was still intact, just spider-webbed with cracks like a broken car window--looked like it had been that way for some time. One odd thing was a pipe that was hung over the side of the patio/pool area that drained water down to the beach. At times there was an unpleasant odor that seemed to come from that drainage.

What was the age range of the guests? Most of the guest, I would guess were 45-55 years old. There was also a contingent of twenty-somethings—perhaps 75% older and 25% younger. Not many people in the middle. We were only there for a week, so that is a pretty small sample size.

What is the best feature of a Palace vacation? The staff...hands down. Whatever Palace does in its recruiting and training, they are far and away the best I have encountered at any all-inclusive resort. Everyone seems to be genuinely concerned that guests are pleased. Moreover everyone seems genuinely happy working there. It isn't that saccharin sweet feigned act you get in Jamaica. Moreover, they hustle. As we approached our special beach area, someone was immediately there to set up our chairs and umbrella. We never finished a drink on the beach before we were asked if we wanted another one...sometimes they came without our even asking. They will even bring you lunch on the beach if you want. If you have ever had a vision of lounging on the beach while a team of professionals cater to your every want, this is the place to go. It wasn't just the beach staff, though. One day I had gotten back to our table from the buffet line before my wife and looked back over my shoulder to see how far behind she was. Someone immediately asked if there was something they could get me. Someone else already commented on how often housekeeping checks up on things. Let me put it this way: it must be tough on honeymooners, because they managed to interrupt a couple of old folks one time.

One suggestion, get yourself a stack of twenty peso notes (about $1.75). I don't want to claim that it improves service, as that would be insulting to the Palace professionals. It will simply make you feel better about lying about while being pampered. If an extra $150 makes a difference to you, then you need to go somewhere where you are not overextended. I think people are more often disappointed with vacations when they stretch beyond their comfort level.

Overall, we thought Sun Palace was a good value and we would recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Kerwin G

A very complete and thorough description of your stay and goods and not goods. I appreciate it.

Concierge is only an option that we offer-we do have 4 concierge floors and desks in floors 3 and 5 to give personalized service, which I don't see mentioned...but again: Some guests love the concierge and others can do withou. It is a matter of personal taste.

I thank you for taking the time to detail many very interesting comments that certainly are very helpful. And of course, I am most appreciative of your choosing our resort and being willing to recommend it.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

My husband and I chose this resort for our honeymoon. It was about a half hour ride from the airport. The grounds were incredibly beautiful and impeccably clean. The staff were most helpful and friendly as well. We loved that every room comes with a jacuzzi tub big enough to easily fit four people. A fully stocked fridge was also in the room, along with daily fresh fruit and a delicious chocolate congratulatory cake upon our arrival. I found the food to be fresh and tasty, but a little repetitive after a few days. I'm not certain if they still offer this deal anymore, but because we were staying beyond a 5 day period, we received a $1500 credit that we used for such things as free massages, a tour to Tulum and a mani pedi for me. In addition, we found that there were always interesting tours to take off of the property, however because we were in Cancun and most of the things to see are in others parts of the country such as Riviera Maya and Playa de Isla we were often subjected to 1 1/2 to 2 hour trips each way. We also had to pick up and drop off guests staying at other Palace hotels along the way who booked the same tour.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a very nice title. Everybody likes to be dubbed beautiful and elegant. It is invaluable to read it from one of our guests.

Cancun was built to be in the nearest spot to most tourist attractions. While it has grown to the south, towards the Mayan Riviera its unique positioning is the best for those interested in precolumbian and in general Mexican history and customs since the best places are really to the west.

We still have the 1500 credit promotion and when you are ready to return, drop me a note. We can arrange for the tours you did not take to happen this time. You'll be amazed at how much there is still yet to see!

With best regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Just back from a weeks holiday with my boyfriend at the sun palace. We both enjoyed out tune there 100%. The food was amazing and so much of it too! Wonderful choice of restaurants. The staff were willing to go above and beyond for you. Everything was a pleasure for them. We loved alexandro the entertainment staff manager he was so friendly and great fun for us younger guests (26-30). We found the hotel facilities were perfect and the beach/waves although a little rough were great fun! Would go back again tomorrow!!

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank Heathercass

There is nothing as good as a customer who has enjoyed 100 %!

My staff and I thank you for your very complimentary words on our resort. When we have a review such as yours there is precious little left to be said except, of course, that we hope to see you many times in the future.

It has been a pleasure to host you.

With friendliest regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2012

My Wife and I spent part of our honeymoon at the sun palace. We stayed here from october 28 to november 4th of 2011. We arrived early in the morning, and as expected, our room was not yet ready, so we were given our champagne, and bracelets at the front desk. We then sat with the activities planner and booked our trips with our 1500 dollar credit, and we also upgraded our room from ocean view to concierge level with our credit; since we had book through a palace premiere member, we were booked in an ocean view room to begin with, and we were able to upgrade to concierge for only 200 palace bucks. We also received 2 free trips since we booked with a premiere member. The trips we booked were: chichen itza, tulum, and coba. All trips were very enjoyable, and professionally handled. we used the rest of our credits on upgrading our champagne choices, and on tequila gift sets.

Room- the concierge room was clean, and a good size. There was of course a mini fridge full of bottled water, dos xx beer, and soda, a liquor dispenser. the jacuzzi worked well, and the balcony had an excellent ocean view along with day beds.

Food- we found the food to be average at the sun palace unfortunately. we ate at all of the restaurants save for the asian one as neither of us care for the cusine from that part of the world. Nothing really stood out, the steak was a bit tough, the only cut which i liked, and was tender was the flank steak ironically. breakfast was probably the best meal on offer, but i was disappointed that there wasn't any proper breakfast sausage available. We ate at beach palace one night at the Mexican restaurant, and we found it to be excellent.

Drink- being AO, sun palace bars would go through alcohol rather quickly, which meant that available drinks changed frequently. we were very disappointed that don julio was not available. Given that the sun palace is slightly more expensive than beach palace or cancun palace, one would expect at least don julio to be available since it was available at beach, and at aventura palace (we ate lunch there during an excursion). Fortunately for us, they at least had corralejo tequila available most of the time. We always tipped well, and felt the drinks were nice and strong. We recevied great service from all the bartenders.

Entertainment- there were nightly shows, and activities available, but we didn't care to join in.

value- we felt that we received a lot of value for what we payed. The excursions alone saved us alot of money compared to having to book them separately at a comparable ai.

Beach- we had heard that sun palace had a nice sandy beach, but this was not the case unfortunately, we found the beach to be full of shells and coral. the beach at beach palace was superior in spite of its unsightly ledge.

Would we come back? probably not. Although we very much enjoyed our time there, we would like to visit other properties and places. We felt like palace resorts has compelling product on offer, but they could definitively make improvements in the food department, and maintaining a regular supply of spirits available would be a good improvement as well.

Room Tip: choose your activities ASAP, book through a member! PM me If would would like to be referred to one.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank giovanni2007

While your review gives us "good" stature I am very sorry that you wouldn't consider us for a return trip. I understand and respect the fact that not everyone is a repeater but somehow, having a business and the responsibilities that go with it I wish that everyone would come back, not one but many times.

I appreciate a forthright comment and value your opinions very much. They certainly help us to be in the continuous product enhancement loop.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We have been there 6 times. It is the best place imaginable. The last time we were there, they just completed their remodeling. It is just beautiful! Sitting on the balcony watching and listening to the turquoise blue water is so tranquil. The staff is VERY helpful and sweet. They really appreciate you coming to Mexico. I've been to Cabo and the staff is not nearly as grateful. Cancun people make you feel like royalty. It is the most relaxing vacation there is. The food is very good as are the drinks. Being an all inclusive makes your trip as easy as it comes. When I think of vacation, there is nothing like a stay at the Sun Palace resort!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ann C
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

July is coming up again. Should we expect you?

The people in th Yucatan peninsula have a very special disposition. Let me tell you an unique detail: Mexican music, which I adore, is usually very dramatic especially towards women. The interesting part is that the music of the Yucatan is not. Quite the contrary, it always enhances the role of a woman. So by tradition people in this area of Mexico are very giving and sweet. You can understand why they are genuine in their desire to make you happy.

I applaud your review. It is so descriptive of our resort!

Thank you for most kind comments and hope that we will see you in July.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 27 May 2012

This was our fourth visit to Mexico and the best. In the past we have stayed at the El Doraodo Seaside Suites, El Dorado Royale and the Excellence Playa Mujures. The Sun Palace exceeded our expectations by far. We researched for months prior to booking the Sun Palace and absolutely made the right decision. We booked through Caribbean Warehouse who took care of all our requests.

We contacted the hotel prior to arrival as this was a special visit (birthday and anniversary). Mr Winkler could not have been any more helpful. He managed to accommodate our every request. When we arrived the room was decorated with birthday banners and streamers. A birthday cake was also in the room with a bottle of champagne. It was our anniversary a few days later and we came back from dinner one night to find an anniversary cake together with champagne. The hot tub had also been filled and rose petals were scattered around. This was lovely. Mr Winkler was so helpful and promptly replied to any e-mails I sent. He is truly a credit to the company and a wonderful friendly gentleman.

The transfer from the Airport was quick and smooth – provided by Jumbo Travel. We arrived at the Sun Palace within around an hour of landing at the airport.

Check in was very quick and easy. We arrived, were greeted with a drink, our bags taken away and we were taken up to level 5 to check in. Check in was very quick and within around 15 minutes we were in our room on the sixth floor.

When we got to the room it was amazing – by far the best room we have ever had the pleasure of spending 2 weeks in. It was beautiful, spacious and luxurious. The bed was huge and very comfy. The view was to die for. As this is a concierge room, you have the ability to choose pillows from the pillow menu and aromatherapy for the room. The room is complete with a flat screen television, a DVD player, I Pod station, coffee maker and a double hot tub. The balcony was massive with a luxury double sun lounger and two chairs and a table (and a view like nothing else on earth).

We took advantage of the free 25 minutes back massages and these were great. We also used some of our resort credits to have another couples 50 minute aromatherapy massage. This was out of this world and extremely relaxing. My wife also got the spa set to take home using the resort credits. We used our credits to upgrade to concierge level. The resort credits are easy to use and are a great idea.

The rooms in the Concierge level are stocked with L’Occtaine bath and shampoo products – this is a nice touch and the products were very good.

We ordered room service for breakfast every morning as the view from the room was an amazing backdrop to enjoy breakfast. Room service was delivered very quickly and always with a smile. We left the order on the door each night and chose the time for delivery. It was great. We ordered room service for lunch and dinner a few times via the telephone and this always arrived quickly and always within 30 minutes. At some resorts we have stayed at in the past room service has taken around an hour and a half to arrive.

We asked the concierge if the maid could come between 9 and 12 each day so that our room would be cleaned by the time we went to change for lunch. This was not a problem and was always done. We also asked if our mini fridge could be stocked with particular items. This was also done with no problem. If we needed anything else it was a quick phone call away and done with no problem.

The maids clean the room to a very high spec and the room is extremely tidy and clean once done.

We had a turn down service each night and this was also a nice touch.

As we stayed for 14 nights, we managed to eat at all of the restaurants a few times. None of them disappointed. There was plenty of choice. My wife is a very fussy eater and had no difficulty in finding food that she loved. A special thanks to the staff and the Asian restaurant (and Noel). One night we ate there it looked like it may rain. We had already ordered and my wife was concerned that the rain would come before we ate. The staff very kindly offered to serve our food in dishes so that we could take the food away if we wished. This was a good touch. We took the food and went off to out room to enjoy our dinner with the amazing view that our room had to offer.

In the Steak restaurant the steak was always cooked to our satisfaction. My wife is very fussy with steak – one sight of red and she will not eat as she likes them well done. The steaks came back perfectly for her each time.

The waitresses on the beach served food and drink with a smile and were always on hand to cater for our every need.

We used our resort credits to go to the Chefs dinner. This was great. The hotel manager, Mr Winkler, is on hand to translate what the Chef (Edgar Poot) had to say. The Chef demonstrated how he prepared each course and Mr Winkler gave his very amusing take on the translation of this. We enjoyed a 6 course dinner with wine to match. Each course was stunning. There was also a live band on hand to entertain.

The Sun Palace catered to our every need. Every request we had was granted. To those who have complained, the hotel does mind read – if you do not ask they cannot help.

Every member of staff that we encountered was great. The staff appear to be very well trained and extremely courteous. They cannot do enough to help make your stay special. They are always on hand with a smile. A special mention and thanks must be given to Pablo Winkler, the general manger, who was great.

I would like to address a point raised by a previous reviewer, re towel game, there is no towel game, there is an abundance of beds and plenty of towels and the boys how work on the beach will move the beds to any location you wish on the beach, if you don’t get on the “front row” don’t worry the sun shines on all the beach not just the front. The sun does set behind the hotel but don’t worry its not till approx 16.30 that the beach will be in the shade.

There is self service ice cream and popsicles, these can be had after 10.00 am and are located at the large pool snack bar.

We made use of the local transport, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel, there is a frequent bus service, there are many different types of bus, anyone will take you to the plazas, the driver will tell you when to get off. We felt safe at all times, and on a few occasions even enjoyed a travelling busker who would hop on and serenade the travellers.

To conclude we did our research when booking the Sun Palace, it is exactly as stated on the box, this is not a lively hotel, this is a hotel suited for a relaxing romantic stay. One thing I am happy to say is we never encountered any rowdy or inebriated guests who seam to think that because it is AI they have to drink the cost of the holiday to feel they have got a good deal.

We will be booking to go back next year as soon as the flights are released. The Sun Palace is well worth the 10 hour flight

Room Tip: Book and enjoy
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank scotstravel'r

One thing I recommend for anyone reading this: Write me! Taking the guesswork out really reaps benefits and I am only too happy to be able to help.

Now, as I may not identify them I can tell you this couple stole my heart. They are just fabulous people. They came here to enjoy and that is precisely what they did with the added benefit that the Sun Palace enjoyed hosting them.

There are quite a bit of couples that are very pleasing to know and be around of, each in their very own way. God! Some days I love my job!!

A big hug to both of you.