“Outstanding hospitality and beach!”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #10 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Salina, Kansas
“Outstanding hospitality and beach!”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

The staff at Sun Palace went out of their way to make sure we had a nice stay. And We ONLY had the yellow wrist bands. I was wondering how we were going to be treated because we got our package by way of auction. Never did my husband and I feel our colored bands were different then anyone else. Our rooms was average. No upgrades with our resort credits because they were full. Which by the way it never felt that busy! I now understand the concept of "watered down liquor" this was our first all inclusive. just like the sun....which my husband didn't know when to say "when"...the abundance of 100% liquor could easily ruin a vacation! Nice an steady drinks made for some GREAT fun and sleep at night! Food at breakfast was good and enjoyed breakfast more than other meals. Room services was good too. The Oriental was ok and the Steak and Italian were just ok. But the Beach and ocean were amazing! Soft powdery sand that never got hot.....the ocean was warm and so much fun! We lounged alot at the pools and beach. We truly had an "UNPLUGGED" vacation and enjoyed the other guests as most were from the "States" . The Spa treatment I had was one of the best. I got Yormeri as my therapist for the Relaxation package. Shiatsu, Scrub and Facial. Really great treatment. NOW our best time was with Ramone in the Lobby Bar. He is a newer addition to Sun Palace and what truly enjoyable bar tender! He was so friendly! He even had a special cake and wine sent to our room to celebrate our anniversary ! So advice for people staying don't expect a lot from the hotel room, it's average.....but if you are nice and genuine to the staff they will RECIPROCATE! We took many $1.00 bills for tips!

Room Tip: Higher floors....Corner suites.
7 Thank joks1
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
When someone has posted a number of reviews on Trip Advisor I am always curious about where they've been and what kind of ratings they post.

I learn a lot from this: It tells me that you enjoy tourism and are willing to share your points of view with others. In other words, you are a giving person. Open and in your case, no nonsense.

This translates unto my business as I can confidently consider your comments as very valid. I am sorry we didn't rate 5 points with you but I do take the good and the not so good seriously for I know they are the opinion of an experienced traveller.

I hope to have the pleasure of serving you in a near future.

Cordially,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,749)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Sun Palace is FABULOUS. We are still enjoying our stay. The service is excellent, food is good, the hotel is clean.
Pool areas are wonderful- a quiet area on one side of the resort and a ore lively pool area on the other. Beach area is always clean. The Italian and Thia restaurant were our favorite. Did enjoy the romance dinner on the beach, (need to book that could days in advance.) The Spa treatments were OK. Did I say service was Great!
Overall A+

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank LordBentley
The short version of a wonderful review. To the point.

Fabulous is indicative of good time. You liked Sun Palace. I hope you also felt how much Sun Palace liked you.

Best regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We Just returned from our trip and I wanted to review sun palace while everything is fresh. I am a frequent traveler of Cancun/ Mexico and I must say sun palace "wowed" us starting at check in.

Pros
Welcomed with champagne upon arrival and flower for ladies ( sweet and special touch)
Easiest and most painless check in, staff do absolutely everything and anything to accommodate during this time

Drinks- strong and plentiful with top shelf liquor. Great food and selection

Room service- Quick, great food and unlimited 24/7. (I took full advantage of this). Wake up to whatever breakfast you would like !

Room- we used our resort credit to upgrade to concierge level and felt it was well worth it. The dinner on the beach , 25 minute back massage and ocean view room was well worth the ugrade, Keep in mind there is a 11% tax fee for everything you use the resort credit for.

Rooms are clean modern with a beach twist, comfortable bed and great shower. The room has everything you need, DVD player available, you can bring your own DVDs for the night.
Stocked mini barWe also loved the jetted tub! House keeping did an incredible job keeping it clean

Staff. Absolutely made this stay worth every single penny, Joiseff our beach server was incredible, Concierge, front desk manager and all bar tenders!

Cons
Being fair I truly can't say there were many, the only thing that stuck out was the location. The sun set around 3pm and you were left in the shade which is really not terrible you can walk down the beach if you would like more sun.

Laid back, during our visit it was an older adult crowd and very relaxing environment.... Waited on hand and foot by the most kind and genuine people in cancun! Staff put a smile on your face at all times and always asked "what else can I do for you" or "it is my pleasure" front desk manager also available.

6 Thank KLaMacchia
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
I cannot but be surprised by the eloquence my guests display. While your review is fabulous and very complimentary of my establishement, one phrase caught my eye:

"Wake up to whatever breakfast you would like!" That is a winner and very representative of Sun Palace and in general Palace Resorts.

One of the menus I dread most when arriving to a hotel is the room service menu. With few exceptions, they are all the same.
So a couple of years ago we decided to do something out of the ordinary and redo ours. For good measure, the Concierge and Grand levels have a few select choices of each restaurant in them for dinner and finally, if we do not carry it in the menu, we wil make it for you.

I hope you do not charge me royalties.

Thank you so much for your grand comments and for your preference of our resort. We will see you soon, I hope.

Best regards,
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We spent 5 days at Sun Palace from February 12th to February 17th. This was our first time to Cancun and I picked this hotel because it was couples only and an all-inclusive. Overall I was extremely happy with all aspects of the resort. We had a room with an ocean view and the biggest hot tub I have ever seen in the room. The room was simple, modern, in good condition and the house would would keep it clean almost three times a day. The food and drinks were as good as I expected. I especially liked the burger at The Steak and the omelets as the Alamo for breakfast. We used room service often and it was prompt and delicious.

The best part of the resort were the pools and the beach that was located very close to our room. The activities at the pool/beach such as water polo, water volleyball and beach volleyball were extremely fun. Overall the entire staff was very friendly and helpful at all times. The guys and one gal who run the pool activities were great and tried to get everyone involved. My girlfriend really loved the massages at the spa.

One of the nice things about Sun Palace is that you can go to their other resorts for free. We went to the Beach palace and had a blast at the sky bar and Italian restaurant.

One surprise was how little their was to do after dinner at the resort. There were a few shows that weren't much to see and the lobby bar was usually quiet and not that interesting. Not sure the resort could change that since a lot of that depends on the people staying there.

If you like a beautiful but quiet resort with great pools and a great beach this is a perfect place for you. If you want a little bit more upbeat fun and night life there are probably better places.

6 Thank Peter M
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Couldn`t have said it better myself.

Overall, most any room you take at our resort has a good to magnificent ocean view. They are all set up i the exact same way and the difference in prices has to do with the special ammenities and how unimpeded the ocean view is. But I know of very few resorts in this area which offer better views.

What is exactly the same for every guest is the courteousness of our staff, the available restaurants and bars-unlike many other "cheaper" all inclusives, there are no reservations for any place- you can attend any restaurant or bar as many times as you decide. And we do offer very good drinks.

I understand that some of our guests would like us to have more activities unto the night...but for the majority, they are happiest when left to their own devices after a show or kareoke. I f you are a night owl, there are always the outside discos which are a bus ride away.

We try hard to please and we recognize when we've made a mistake and promplty try to correct it. We want you back as many times as possible. It is always a pleasure to have such fetching guests in our resort.

Thank you very much.
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We are Palace Members and usually stay at Moon Palace when we go to Cancun, but this time we decided to try Sun Palace for the Couples only experience. We had a lovely time. The resort is much smaller than Moon Palace but the staff were great, the food good and the beach amazing. We took a shuttle over to Moon Palace and enjoyed our day there also, there is a lot of activity going on everywhere and the pools are amazing, more restaurants to try, etc. But, the beach at Moon Palace is nothing like the beautiful beach at Sun Palace. We were there over Valentines Day, and everybody at the Sun Palace made the day wonderful. There was the romantic towel art with the rose left on the bed, the special heart chocolates delivered to our room and the amazing chocolate fountain. We had a truly wonderful and relaxing trip. :)

2 Thank renters
Sun Palace is for lovers! It is small, intimate and personal. Thank you for noticing.

No, we do not have a bunch of activities nor the size for them. We let you be yourselves and try not to interfere in your enjoyment. You want activites? We have some. Games during the day with our activities team in the pool or beach, There is always something going on at night but by 10 or 10:30 P.M. we respect your privacy.

I see that you enjoyed your stay and especially being with us on Valentine's. I invited my Wife and we had a very enjoyable and romantic dinner as well.

My staff and I thank you for your very kind words and look forward to a next visit, when relaxing is required. We enjoyed hosting you very much!

Best regards.
Vancouver
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Usually, I don't write review abut I am writing this to warn other people to avoid their 90minute presentation at the moon palace. As soon as we arrived, Teresa( vacation planner) lied to us that it is their 26years anniversary and give us $200 spa money and some discount for tours if we go to the 90 min presentation. It was our foolish mistake. We joined palace elite membership because i liked our room a lot but there is no cancellation policy and they don't want to give our money back. It is hard to get the reply for our request. If u want to go to the presentation , then research about the review or complaints for palace elite membership and RCI( timeshare exchange trading company).
The price with membership is higher than most of the vacation package from other tour sites.

It was our first time to cancun and we chose this one because it is couples only and review was good. The room was great and the food was not bad. The thai food was good and thank William for his kindness. Italian restaurant's ambience and service was great but the food was not good. Pizza was salty and pasta needed more salt. We bought special wine with resort credit but its worth was around $20 in USA when we searched online with the exact name and year.
Beach is beautiful but the pool is cold and when weather is not good, there is nothing to do other than spa in the resort.

Beach dinner was a great experience but it was windy and the food was not good though the waiter was nice.

Overall the room and jacuzzi was great, but the food and service is worse than cruise.
Most of them don't smile and my concierge didn't send the pillow we requested.

Anyway I thank Irma from spa and Ricardo from Mexican restaurant .

Front desk needs more training. Especially, Yesenia, she was so rude.

I don't understand how come they charge higher price to members than other vacation package and join with RCI company which people claim class action lawsuit against.

My lovely vacation ended up with the worst nightmare-membership with no cancellation policy even though i didn't pay half of my deposit yet.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Sisimna516
Even though I feel your review was more geared towards the Vacation Club than the services of the resort and therefore a bit harsh, I do appreciate your input and the time you took to let us know your comments.

There are a number of mentions that certainly will aid us in bettering our product. The weather is one of those things we cannot change. You do realize it is also winter in Mexico, after all, we are part of the norhtern hemisphere. So yes, there can be cold and wind and rain, although from what most of my customers tell me, it beats the heck out of snow and minus temperatures.

I agree inclement weather can dampen your spirit, especially because there are no outside activities and only inside games such as ping-pong and table games-some venture out to the malls just for window shopping...definitely your words on the subject will make us look for other options.

Again, your comments are for the most part very useful and I hope to be able to serve you under more benign conditions.

Newark, Ohio
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This was our third trip to Sun Palace. We traveled with my parents, who are Palace Resort Diamond members. We visit Cancun yearly and have for 17 years.

The food at Sun Palace is outstanding, the beach is fabulous, the wait staff throughout the resort is phenomenal. To say we were pleased with the service and attention shown to us by the staff here would be an understatement. The beach chairs reserved especially for Diamond members (with our names on them) were a real treat. The chef’s dinner was impressive; I highly recommend attending, it is well worth the additional charge. As others have commented, the General Manager was very visible and available, he approached us one night at dinner to ask how everything was going. Service here was the best we’ve ever had in Cancun, better even than Le Blanc. Sun Palace has become our preferred resort in Cancun. And it would be based solely on all of the above. But now I’m going to talk about something everybody dreads....getting sick on vacation. And this where Sun Palace really shined.

One of the ‘perks’ of being a Diamond member is that the resort has a special Diamond Concierge who works with you during your stay. Sun’s Diamond Concierge is Rocio. She e-mailed with us prior to our visit and pre-booked all of our spa appointments, tours, romantic dinner on the beach, etc. Prior to our arrival she e-mailed us a written itinerary of what we had scheduled every day. She met us at the door, walked us to a private check in area, reviewed everything with us and gave us her contact information. It was a wonderful start to our vacation.

Three days after we arrived my husband fell ill. On the fourth day we decided we’d head out to the closest pharmacy to see if we could purchase the medicine he would need. (It is available over the counter here in the US but sometimes difficult to find.) We approached Rocio and asked if she could contact the pharmacy for us, to ensure they had the medicine before we took the time to go there. Over the course of the next three days, Rocio worked endlessly with my husband and I in our quest to find this medicine in Mexico. She contacted not one, but four local pharmacies. When she struck out there she even called a doctor and a dentist for us. We decided to have my sister ship the medicine to us overnight from the States. When it got hung up in customs because it didn’t have the proper import license, Rocio called UPS in Mexico in an attempt to get the package cleared for delivery. On her own, she looked up who manufactured the medicine, found it was available in the United Kingdom, and contacted them to see if they could ship it to her overnight instead! The time Rocio spent helping us was extraordinary, and we are beyond grateful. Not only was she able to clearly communicate our needs to everybody she spoke with, she saved us hours and hours of our vacation time by making phone calls instead of us traipsing all around Cancun visiting these places in person. Sun Palace is lucky to have such a remarkable woman on their staff. She left such a positive impression on us, we will forever associate Sun Palace with her kindness and consideration.

6 Thank sahedges
Personal service is the name of the game at Sun Palace. And being diamond members does certainly have a number of advantages. I am very greatful for your kind mention of all of these and especially of Rocío, who is in the Diamnond Concierge precisely for being one of our stars.

I was made aware of the difficulties with the medicine, which seems to be a very special one, not readily available in Mexico, for otherwise we would have gotten it here.and I also know how stupid customs can be in any country.

I am very happy everything turned to be ok and that in the end your stay was enjoyable. I will look forward to your many return visits.

With my best regards,