“The Sun Palace Shines Bright! What a fabulous anniversary trip!!”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Alpharetta, Georgia
“The Sun Palace Shines Bright! What a fabulous anniversary trip!!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Book your trip to the Sun Palace NOW! Pack your bags and prepare to enjoy your experience. We returned last night from our trip; it was SPECTACULAR! The weather was beautiful, the hotel fabulous, the staff was delightful and the food was delicious! The variety of food choices from breakfast to dinner was excellent! Just ask and they will specialize everything from an omelette for breakfast to sashimi roses made of the freshest tuna and salmon for lunch or dinner! The staff was simply AMAZING! They are friendly, helpful and ready to make your stay the best ever! From dawn to dusk (and beyond!) it was top notch! We thoroughly appreciated staff members like Irving who greeted us with a smile each day at breakfast. He was always helping with a plate, serving up coffee and holding the door for us. Going to the beach and being completely set up by Daniel who worked tirelessly to ensure the umbrella was in the right position, our lounge chairs were set just right and looking out for everyone's safety he is awesome! While on the beach, we were continuously attended to by Alberto. We were never without fresh water or any sort of drink of choice. He was always 'spot on'! Estrella was there too, offering a fresh drink or cleaning up the area constantly. The dining experience whether it was Italian, the Oriental Lounge or an outdoor buffet (like before the fantastic fire show on Friday nights) the Sun Palace has done a great job of hiring outstanding people, who are happy and helpful: Arturo, Omar and Jorge are magnificent folks and super employees! My husband and I had facetime together that was just exceptional! The memories made will bring smiles to our faces for a long time to come! THANK YOU to the SUPERIOR staff of the Sun Palace! It is people like their staff members who make a resort go from good to EXCEPTIONALLY GREAT! We will most definitely return and HIGHLY recommend the Sun Palace for your vacation!

3 Thank Laurie C
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Oh Wow! What can I possibly say? How do I thank you for such an eloquent review?

It is certainly our pleasure to have been part of a trip you will remember (and hopefully repeat). The feeling that you convey is such that it speaks of a great couple's great vacation. It comes across as two people who came to our resort at the right time for the right reasons and above all, in the right frame of mind. All these add to a great axperience.

As you know, that is why we exist. It is fabulous to be told that you are satisifed.

Many happy remembrances,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,777)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Santa Rosa, California, United States
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We just got back from spending one week at the Sun Palace. My husband and I were amazed at how much the staff really cared about making our vacation the best ever. I am a repeat vacationer to the Sun Palace and it always feels like I'm coming home. When I walked in, Nancy greeted me with a warm "welcome back" hug. Then Martin checked us in. Thank you Martin for the beautiful upgrade.

I love how this is a small resort and you get to know the staff well. We spent most of our days on the beach. Every morning Daniel was there, running to set up our loungers, cushions and umbrella right near the water. He knew we liked to sit in the shade and always made sure we got the biggest umbrella. Then as the sun moved, he would come by and move the umbrella so we always stayed in the shade. It's that kind of thoughtfulness from the staff, that makes me always want to come back "home" to the Sun Palace. And Jusif knew exactly what we wanted to drink and made sure we always had everything we needed.

Besides the great staff, the hotel itself is wonderful. It's a smaller resort, with most of the rooms facing the beautiful turquoise waters. The staff work hard to keep everything clean. In my opinion, the best feature of the hotel is the beach. The beach is kept cleaned and the view is breathtaking.

Thank you to all the staff for making our vacation so wonderful. We'll be back for sure.

1 Thank CindyHopper
Your kind words refresh my point that no matter the price and the surroundings, the first thing that discerns one resort from another is definitely its people.

Palace Resorts is no different to other companies that it was concieved as a business. To generate wealth. I think the difference is how you go about procuring that wealth and making sure it benefits workers and owners alike. In so doing we please our most important component: Guests. We do not have a secret ingredient. We treat everone fairly, take care of our own so they might take care of you. In an affable and genuine way.

It lloks like it is working. Thank you for reassuring us.

Warmest regards,
Mount Airy, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Me and my wife celebrated our 10th anniversary at the Sun Palace and we could not have chosen a better place. Even though the weather did not cooperate we still had a wonderful time. There was always something special in our room every night, from bottles of wine, chocolate, or assorted fruits. We can not wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tns2003
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
I do thank you for your patience during those very rainy days and I am glad that despite the fact you are happy you came.

When climatic situations turn against us we really have to be very inventive to keep your mind away from the elements. It is very good to know that we were able to offset this unfortunate event.

We shall be looking forward to your next visit. You are indeed very pleasurable guests.

Best regards,
Torremolinos-Málaga, Andalucia, Spain
Reviewed 22 November 2013

If you're anything like me then you'll be looking through tripadvisor and checking reviews on loads of different hotels to ensure that you don't make a massive mistake when booking your vacation/holiday. I can honestly say that if you're a couple looking to go to Mexico and want first class service and an exceptional time then book this hotel. You wont regret it.

We arrived here on the 6th of November for two weeks as a birthday present for my fiancee.

Arrival:

From the airport to the hotel it took around 15 minutes which was perfect after a long flight. We were greeted with smiling faces, a cold towel and a refreshing drink. Perfect start!

Check In:

We had originally booked a junior suite with ocean view. I asked if we could upgrade to concierge using our resort credits and I was informed that there were no more rooms available but he'd put us on the waiting list which we agreed to. We then went through the check in process and after a minute or so he explained that he did have a concierge room available and would we like it? Obviously we were delighted and agreed straight away. After we were handed our key cards we were told to visit the desks on the other side where someone would briefly explain the resort credits and what the hotel had to offer.

The lady at the desk told us all about the resort credits and what we could use them on and what tours the hotel offered. It was quick and painless, the information given was useful and there was no mention of a timeshare presentation.

Room:

Our room was on third floor at the far end of the corridor. On the walk to the room I remember thinking that maybe this upgrade wasn't going to be that great seeing as it was the last room left and it was right at the end. As we walked in I was amazed that we had ended up in a presidential suite and it was a fantastic start to the holiday. The room was lovely, had a huge living space with dining table, couch and separate TV. The living area had a balcony which overlooked the activity pool and ocean. The bedroom had a king size bed, flat screen TV, built in wardrobes, fully stocked mini fridge and another balcony. This balcony overlooked the lagoon and had a Jacuzzi tub on it. We had a lovely two weeks in this room and we were so sad to leave it the other day. Big thanks to the maid who was always smiling and pleasant with us and did an excellent job. The mini fridge was restocked every day and a big thanks to all the staff who delivered up our breakfast every morning.

Gym:

The gym is situated on the 2nd floor with views of the lagoon. The gym has enough equipment for you to have a decent workout. Towels and drinks are provided when you're working out. Treadmills, Bikes, Machines and free weights are all available for you to use. I managed to get to the gym a few times but being on holiday at an all inclusive resort I still manged to pile on a few pounds and it was worth it. :)

Spa:

We had a 25 minute couples massage which was included as part of our concierge upgrade. We both enjoyed it and found it very relaxing. My fiancee had two facials, a manicure and a pedicure which she loved and I had a haircut.

Food and Restaurants:

We are foodies and absolutely loved the food here. We were a bit worried that being all inclusive would mean the food wouldn't be too great. How wrong we were! The lunch buffet was fantastic with a great variety and something new everyday. The chefs would cook steak, chicken, burgers in front of you and to your liking. Lots of different sides to choose from like rice, baked potatoes, chips, salads, paella and so much more. We loved lunch here.

The restaurants were all good but the Alamo was our favourite and we really enjoyed the Mexican food here. The steak buffet was awesome, lots of different steaks to try and the sides to go with it were delicious. The oriental restaurant we went to a couple of times and although we liked the sushi and main meals there, their desserts were the best. You must try the fried ice-cream. Lovely! We only went to the Italian restaurant once because even though the food was nice there we found the portions to be a bit stingy and we left feeling still quite hungry. Overall I was hugely impressed with the food here.

Tours:

We did a few of the tours here and went to Tulum to visit the Mayan ruins, went jungle zip-lining which was a lot of fun and went swimming with dolphins which was a huge highlight of our holiday and would definitely recommend doing this tour.

Resort credits:

I'm not sure why people complain about these and call them a scam. You are given resort credits as an extra for staying here and depending on how long you stay here you'll receive a certain amount. We stayed here for 14 nights so we were given 2,500 to spend. All you do is pay 11% tax on any of the credits that you spend. We used our credits to upgrade our room, take a romantic meal on the beach, used the spa and took a few tours. The upgrade on our room would have cost us something like 800 dollars and we had to pay 84 dollars. Bargain!

Beach:

Out of this world! Relaxing and looking out at the gorgeous crystal clear blue ocean and white sand is something we will treasure forever. The beach staff do a great job here and will bring loungers out for you and an umbrella for shade and someone will constantly bring you a drink as you sit back and relax. Perfect!

The staff:

The staff here are what make this place so great. They are a real credit to the hotel and they all work so hard. Every single member of staff we encountered here were so nice and they were always eager to make sure that we had everything we needed. I don't remember everyone's names but I just want to mention a few people. Daniel at the Alamo is a great guy who always made us feel special every time we ate there. Everyone in the concierge team were great but a special thanks to Jose and Guillermo who we seemed to see the most. Javier in the entertainment team and the security guy out front who helped us out from day one. We miss you all already.

I must also mention that we arrived up to our room one night and found a birthday cake and a bottle of bubbly sitting there on the table. My fiancee's birthday was two days before we flew out to Cancun and we hadn't mentioned it to the staff at check in. Little touches like this is what makes this place first class.

Thank you again Sun Palace. We had such a good time that we are considering coming back here to get married.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the ocean and upgrade to concierge.
12 Thank Skippy_David
You are blessed with always seeing a half full glass. There are some who always find it half empty and who do not enjoy. I liked you out look of having the cost of our upgrade at 84.- isntead of 800.-. That, for me is always seeing a half full glass, taking the things you are offered and valueing for the positive.

I say this with no remorse. After reading so many comments I am convinced that in the end, the value of what you do is up to how you want to go about things in general.

I find your words very stimulant and feel a lot of pride to have been chosen by you to stay in our destination. Folks like you will always be welcome anywhere.

And if you do, you cannot get married if it isn't here.

My warmest regards,
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 22 November 2013

After 10 days in paradise it was hard to come home to cold, rainy, winter weather. We've been home almost a week and I'm really missing Cancun, the warm weather and the fabulous Sun Palace. This was the longest trip my husband I have been on - and we had a fantastic time. I HIGHLY recommend the Sun Palace.

We had booked a concierge-level room when we first booked our trip, so we didn't need to use our resort credits. But if you don't pre-book it - it's definitely worth upgrading. Our room on the 5th floor (532) was wonderful! Spacious, CLEAN, well maintained, and the view was spectacular. The in-room bar was restocked daily. If we ran out of something, we just called the concierge desk and it was replaced in quick order. They even swapped out the standard liquor for items we preferred (Captain Morgan and Hornitos). Talk about service! Room service was efficient and everyone we met while we were there was super friendly.

I can't say enough good things about the staff!!! We got to know several different people at the concierge desk - Jose, Yecora and Margarita Zazil were particularly awesome. Friendly, gracious, helpful - and willing to put up with my husband's quirky sense of humor! They helped us organize our activities and made sure we had enough "planned" to balance time spent just relaxing.

On our first full day we worked with Teresa in the lobby and she made sure we understood how our credits worked. She was very helpful.

Our aromatherapy couples massage at the Spa was heavenly! Many thanks to those two ladies - I'm sad I didn't catch their names.

The entertainment/activity team was exceptional as well. We loved playing volleyball - whether it was in the pool or on the beach. Augustine, Veronica, and Francisco Javier were great fun. And Laura - new girl on the job - was getting into the swing of things too. Thanks to all of them for helping make our vacation so memorable and fun. And special kudos and thanks to Daniel - one of the beach lifeguards. That guy is one hard worker - and you can tell he loves what he does. Thanks too to him for my cricket made of palm fronds. Of all of my souvenirs, it's one of my very favorites!

And then there's the bar and wait staff!!! Special thanks to Fernando, Mario, Lesli and Orlando (bah-boop!) Oh - and the FOOD! Everything we tried was simply delicious. Of the many restaurants, I think The Steak might have been our favorite (the rib-eye is to DIE FOR!), though we loved everything we were served. Our last night, in an effort to re-experience our favorite things - we actually made the rounds of 3 different restaurants - for appetizers (queso fundido and tequila shrimp), sushi, and then more steak! Even the offerings at the snack bar were fresh and delicious. Where else can you order fresh-grilled grouper and grilled veggies and enjoy it on a comfy lounger next to the pool? Talk about service!

Even though we had some stormy weather during our stay, we didn't let it get in the way of relaxing, having fun and enjoying every minute of our vacation. There were books to read, movies to watch, games to play. If someone complains because of the weather they're just not trying hard enough to relax and have fun!

Many, many thanks to everyone at the Sun Palace - for making this one of the most memorable vacations my husband and I have ever been on. We look forward to visiting again!!!

Room Tip: The concierge rooms on the 5th floor are exceptional. If you want quiet - ask for one at the far end...
2 Thank Susan K
Ah! I like your writing style very much. Fluent and descriptive. You make it seem like one were there.

Not much I can add to your words except that you make my staff and myself very proud to be able to work here and cater to guests with such a fresh and positive view of their stay.

You touched on all points in a very agreeable manner and make very good recommendations for which we thank you.

My only request is for you to return soon. It is always a pleasure to be around such lovely people as yourselves.

Warmest thoughts,
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Would be honest it was my best vacation ever. I really wish to give 5 stars, but cannot because of of the other extraordinaire place.
Location: is the best in Cancun!!!
Ocean: always cleaned and always nice beach. The stuff always around you if you need any help with umbrella or some pub.
Rooms: just excellent design with amazing modern taste.
Hotel by it self: almost all glassy and pools and all just together just incredibly beautiful!
Stuff: as I mentioned just awesome! ESPECIALLY MARVIN THE GUY FROM Italian restaurant ( Waiter).
FOOD: depends. The most important there are a lot of choice even if you are vegeterian. Italian restaurant is a must to go and explore such a food, honestly probably better chefs than in genuine Italia.

2 Thank Borya B
Thank you for your very nice words. I did however not quite understand the 4 instead of 5 points as you mention having visited somewhere else but your Trip Advisor page mantions only one contribution. Did I misread?

In all as per your words, everything was good. May I have missed something?

Anyway, most importantly is that you are satisfied with your stay. In my book that is all that matters. I hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the very near future.

With kind regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed in the Sun Palace for 2 weeks and loved it. We upgraded to conceirge level using our credits when we arrived i thought it was worth it for the little extras. Rooms are fab very big spotless clean mini bar was filled every day along with 2 large bottles of water. Every restaurant was lovely my favourite was the Steak place we went a few times you need to try the Tbone its to die for.Pool areas are great plenty of activity if you want to get involved drinks just keep coming without the need to ask. The beach is beautiful and the water warm the drink service on the beach is excellent. I used the spa a few times for a mani pedi and hot stone massage all were wonderful.The hotel is a bit out from the strip but the bus runs past every few minutes for $1 used it quite a few times very handy. The hotel staff have to be the best bit they cannot do enough for you and are all so friendly. I would love to go back again in the future. Only disappointing thing was i never got the beach bag that comes with the upgraded room i so would have loved to have taken one home but that is a very minor thing.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Madmonkey71
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for your very kind words on Sun Palace.

We do quite well with our guests from the UK. I am glad you were not the exception.

An apology for the beach bag. When you were here the ship from India-which is where we have them made-was stuck in port for some reason.

If you would be so kind as to give me your mailing address to my personal e mail (pwinkler@palaceresorts.com) I will send you this item.

Or, I can give it to you when you come back. Whatever works best for you.

Best regards,