“The Staff”

Ranked #10 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Tulsa
“The Staff”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

As many have pointed out, THE STAFF make this such a great place. We have been to many resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean, the staff here always meet you with a smile and a desire to make your stay memorable. I have to feel that this attitude must start at the top with valued employees. We will be returning to Sun Palace as well as trying their other resorts. Thanks for the great week.

3 Thank JWalker35
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Your comments got me thinking about the nexus between the Anglo and Latin cultures that I've experienced in my many years as a hotel worker and a traveler as well.

It is very interesting that these two eminently different life styles enjoy visiting one another.

By the same token that takes you to rave about the friendliness of Mexico, when I visit the US or the UK I am myself very taken by the efficiency and amicability you find almost any place in these two countries. This is-in my eyes-just as engaging as the warmth of Latin. Sometimes one gets fed up with warmth and requires efficency as I suppose happens the other way around. Which is why I find travelling the greatest experience you can have.

Thank you so much for your kind words,

Warmest thoughts,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,747)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Best experience for an all inclusive resort, the food, the bar, the service

Beach area is a good way to relax from all the stress that you bring from your daily responsibilities.

All hotel areas are accessible to all guests and you don't even have to move outside the hotel facilities for anything, you have it all there

MUST GO!

2 Thank David M
I am writing back in English because that is the language chosen for your review. I assume, though, that living in Mexico City Spanish would be just as good.

I was born and raised in Mexico City and saw it grow to a megalopolis. I miss it but not too much for the reasons you yourself state in your comments. The views, the beach and the semi-provincial style of life we have in Cancun are not to be beat.

Back in the 60's and 70's you could still see the amazing view of the volcanoes reflecting the sunset in erstwhile Tenochtitlán-the capital of the Aztec empire. Nowadays they are few and far between. I certainly miss that but would not live there again. Not now.

Do come back every now and then to take a breather. It does your heart and body good.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I travel quite a bit (out of the country) and this was out 2nd time to Mexico and possibly our last. We stayed for 6 nights at the Sun palace Nov. 17-23 and from the moment we walked in confusion. We checked in, everything seemed fine until we wanted to book an excursion the next day, what we didn't realize is that they were supposed to go over point system and book a tour to another Hotel owned by Palace. We didn't get the run down until the next day so They Stole 2 vacation days from us because they Refuse to book any excursions until you go through a horrible tour of one room and then they ask you to invest in there hotels. $55,000 or more....
My husband and I received good discounts from our excursion but we would have rather of paid and had our other two days to do other excursions. The points don't make any sense and quite confusing, and we only used it for the photos which still cost us $145. The Hotel itself is nice not Amazing. We had a suite but there were stains on the curtains and some of our lights didn't work. (balcony) The pool looked was dirty (mildew) and at times wasn't being circulated the small one by the spa. The beach was nice besides the trash (baby syringe by my chair one day) and lots of plastics. The staff some will go above and beyond while others won't even say "Hola". Everyone on the Hotel staff let me out of the elevator first besides the main bellboy. He didn't say "Hola" either. I would never ever stay at a Palace again I feel as though they stole from us by refusing to let us control our own vacation. I am a Vegan and the chef staff was kind of helpful. I tried several times to order noodles with vegetables and over and over just plain noodles. Also most of the couples are over 45 over and over I got mean looks from women even a scowl from a woman I said Hello to. If this was our first trip to Mexico we would not go again be Smart Stay somewhere else! I had a Blast a Rui and they have buses to the different clubs every night. The entrainment was one of the best I've seen at a hotel but they have a small stage would be better outside. The staff is sometimes helpful while on the beach I couldn't get a lounger because the guy was too busy talking to women so I just walked until I found an empty one. Also people get up really early before 8 and put there things on chairs and loungers so that there were NO seats by the pool the whole time we were there. Spending the most money on a room should help us to get chairs or loungers but it didn't there is no difference. Also if you are a non smoker do not sit outside of the lobby bar people smoke out there. Also we got the Better service at Rui and you can get that service all over Cancun.We only at the Steak house because over and over we heard it's the only one that's worth it. The service in Cancun is like no where else and I promise most have it. I also have family that goes to Cancun several times a year. This was the Worst Vacation my husband and I have ever had a a Huge part of the Blame belongs to those who Stole our 2 vacation days.

1 Thank lionheart14
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
I certainly apologize for all that went wrong and it is quite a lot.

It is in our best intention and interest that you have a great sojourn which obviously was not the case.

Thank you for the comments on our resort. They are valuable input to better our product.

Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Just back from a 9 night stay at the Sun Palace in Cancun, and could not be happier about my experience. In terms of size and decor the hotel is fairly modest, which makes room for the true stars of the place, the staff and the stunning white sands and blue waters. The staff never missed an opportunity to smile and seemed to intuitively know how to make my stay more comfortable. The entertainment staff was a big hit with my partner who spent hours with them playing volleyball on the beach. Also the team at the spa was very friendly and made our visit very memorable. We also had a chance to let some of the baby turtles go on the beach, which was a great experience.

As for the food, it always seemed fresh and never over processed. For me having fresh fish grilled by the pool was a giant treat. Sitting on the patio, having a tropical drink and fresh grilled grouper is something i am already missing. The Asian specialty restaurant was also good, but it would have bee great to see a bit more selection around the sashimi and rolls. Oh- and a word of warning, when they say something is hot- they are not kidding- its hot.

We were also able to take advantage of a-lot of the resort credits for tours. While the trip out to Chitzen Itza makes for a long day, (and cuts into beach time) it should not be missed. Palace does a great job of putting together high quality tours. Also had a chance to swim with the dolphins, snorkel and tour the Xenotes. The one thing - i would skip (FOR SURE) is the submarine ride, on my ride no less than five people threw up.

The room was also modest in terms of size and furnishing. But it had everything I needed, plus a great mini-bar. House keeping kept things spotless and were never intrusive. We ended up on floor 6, which was nice as it had large balcony with loungers, although i think it made the actual square footage of the room a bit smaller. The one thing that was a bit of drawback was the hallways and the rooms were all covered in tiles. And while I cant imagine keeping anything other than tile clean (given the sand and humidity) it creates a-lot of noise from the halls filtering into the rooms at all hours.

All in all, i cant say enough good things about my stay. Im already looking forward to finding some time to make another trip.

3 Thank Elic661
When we refurbished Sun Palace ca. 7 years ago the architect-decorator went for the minimalistic look which was in vogue. Straight lines, ample spaces and very specific décor. And I say this because you tout it as "modest", which is a good description except it hints at cheap. And our building is anything but. It is light colored marble, enormous windows, which by the way are hurricane resistant and furniture is of the highest quality wood and imported coverings.

In this area of the world rugs are not used because of what you already mention: Humidity and sand.

All in all I infer your stay was good and this is what most matters to us. For you to feel well taken care of and relaxed.

I will await your next visit. We can exchange points of view on styles.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I just got back from the Sun Palace and it just wonderful. Everyone treated us like we were royalty. The hotel is just beautiful, the staff keeps it very well maintained. The food was phenomenal and the drinks plentiful. This was our 2nd trip to the Sun Palace and we also visited the Moon Palace as well as the Beach Palace. All three of these hotels had the same sort of loyalty to their clients ... treating them extremely special. The only drawback was when we arrived at the hotel at 10:30 am, we could not check into our room until around 4 pm. During that time, we visited with one of the vacation planners and made reservations for excursions and spas using our points. The point system is not that great, since we had a ton left over and didn't want to use them for liquor, jewelry or sunglasses where they give you some money off items, but not enough to make a dent in the already high prices. Please beware, though, of the Dinner Cruise on the Columbus. We were told we could use our points for this and when we wanted to cancel, we were told that we would still have to pay the $178, plus docking fees, plus shuttle fees. Almost $300. We were able to cancel and get our money back with a lot of coaxing. This took up a lot of our vacation time. We were able to get on the bus to go to town very easily and cheaply for $1USD. Don't let any of the negative things stop you from visiting the Sun Palace; it is one of the best places I've been to. Cudos to Pablo Winkler, Chef Cena, Erika, Nancy, Enrique and all the other great people at Sun Palace!

Room Tip: If you want to chose a good room, go for the rooms on the end. We stayed in Room 634 when we first...
4 Thank K O
Thank you for your kind words and for enjoying your stay for a second time around.

One precision: Once you book an event the place or places you ask for are taken off the market and expenses are undergone based on this reservation. Like when flying or booking a hotel. There are certain timeliness rules the provider of any service must follow to be able to resell the space if you decide not to use it. In most cases it is not even reselling but trying to avoid certain costs. Which is why cancellations are such an issue.

And trying not to be repetitive: If you stay at a palace, well, you must be royalty.

With my warmest regards,
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I want to preface my review by saying that I have fairly high standards and while the Sun Palace lived up to most of those standards I think it fell short in a couple. But first with the good. There seems to be hardly any bad rooms in the place. From the outside, it appears that the only rooms that don't have an awesome ocean view are if you are the extreme ends of the hotel. My wife and I started in a junior suite and then upgraded to concierge via rewards points half way through our stay and we had amazing views in both. And to be honest, we preferred our view from the second floor suite over the fifth floor concierge room but at that point we were probably just splitting hairs. The rooms themselves were identical to each other except for some of the amenities such as higher end liquor in the min bar, expanded room service menu, free 25 minute massage, private concierge.
The staff as I'm sure you've read in other reviews are all great. Probably the best I've ever come across in the traveling I've done domestically and internationally. Very willing to help out and answer questions, always around to take orders while out in the pool and beach areas, attentive to your needs no matter what it was. I can't say it enough, these guys rocked.
It being our honeymoon we were looking to relax and kick back so we spent a lot of time at the pool and beach. I took a couple morning runs along the water and something I will say is the palace has probably the most comfortable looking lounges within a couple miles. There staff will move them around for you and help make you comfortable while down on the beach, they'll bring over an umbrella if you'd like, they definitely take good care of you. If you're looking to stick to the pools you are well taken care of there as well. There are two main pools with a third kind of lap pool under some cover. The two pools were kind of split with a more relaxing pool and more of an active atmosphere at the other. They had music going, water volleyball, and swim up bar the whole deal. At the more relaxing side you could easily sleep the day away, order food at your lounge chair and not get up except to cool down in the pool while looking out over the crystal blue water.
This brings me to my first negative and I admit its picky but it was an inconvenience. If you are at the more relaxing pool by about one in the afternoon the sun starts to get blocked by the building forcing you to either move to the beach or the other pool if you're looking for more sun.
The food could have been better, by the end of our stay we found what we liked and stuck with those main dishes but overall I'd say it get about a 3/5 for food. The good thing is, it's an all inclusive so if you don't like it just order something else.
My last negative, is again a little picky but my type a personality has a hard time letting it go. Throughout the hotel there are small maintenance issues that should be addressed. In our first room the door was bubbling where it looked like someone maybe tried to pry the door. Missing tiles in the pool and the Infiniti pools being turned off. These are all items that really don't take away from your enjoyment of your stay but are kind of eye sores and in my opinion are things that keep it from standing above the rest. Now I don't know what other hotels in the area are like so I have nothing to adequately compare it to. I'd probably stay there again as my wife and I had a great time however there was really nothing about it that makes me think "wow I HAVE to stay there again"

3 Thank AshleeBethany
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Your review is not "picky". It is straightforward and this I appreciate.

I believe you are entitled to a straightforward answer as well: Definitely right on the pool tile issue. The thing is, having the occupancies we've had all year there has not been a chance to empty the pool for about three weeks to retile. I've been told a few times about this issue but quite frankly, I'd rather deal with the complaints of the tiles than those of an empty pool. Come low occupancies and this pool will be the most beautiful in Cancun.

And...food. I do apologize. We do try to offer a very good kitchen. Most times we succeed. But cannot argue with your personal taste.

Thank you for your review and for the positives as well. I do hope to have the honor of your return visit sometime soon.

Castle Hayne
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I stayed for 7 days at the Sun Palace in mid November. I will have to say the staff were extremely attentive and no one was without a smile. They remembered our names and our likes and dislikes which in itself with so many other guest is amazing. We were fortunate that it did not rain the entire time and were able to enjoy the cleanest beach ( they even rake up the seaweed each morning) and best bar service we have experienced.
Rooms= Excellent and extremely clean- Jacuzzi in room which was fantastic.
In room Bar- Had Absolute, J&B Scotch, Tequila and Bacardi Rum. Wish I could have had Crown but they did have anything you would want in lobby bar. Just went and bought some for the room.
Restaurants- Four and a poolside lunch. Did not enjoy the Oriental but the Alamo (Mexican) had best steak (filet), Italian was 5 star and outside steak house was 4 star. Had a dinner on beach and the dinner and service was excellent. You will not find grits on breakfast bar but many options and excellent staff and chefs.
Service- I cannot say enough about the unparalleled service. It was exceptional everywhere. Everyone had a smile and remembered your name, drinks, and some even your room number. The service is the best we have ever experienced. My wife went to spa for 3 hours and said it was wonderful.
Entertainment- adequate but wish they had live music at least one night. DJ's had great personality and had you laughing most of time.
Shopping- shop off premises for best deals. They have a wonderful selection at the Palace but priced too high.
Negatives- The only negative I can really talk to is the "tour" the first day. It was suppose to be 1 1/2 hours and turned into 3-4 hours and half our day. The wife and I just got exhausted from the army of salespeople and may have bought a membership but were afraid if it took this long for their pitch and pitch and pitch how long would it take to join?- another day? Also in the afternoon there was some kind of construction at the Sun that was extremely loud and could be heard in the room.
Summary- We plan on going back to the Sun Palace. There were no children and even though we love our grandchildren it was nice and relaxing to be at a couples only resort. You will not be disappointed. I read some reviews before we went and some were negative but there is always that 10% who will not be happy if they won the lottery. I would give this resort 5 stars.

Room Tip: Go ahead and get an upgrade
1 Thank William N
A review after my own heart! Many thanks.

The point of a vacation is to have a good time. It seems this is what happened to you. That's how we make a living.

And yes, grandchildren are the greatest. Which is why you become a grandparent. So you can take off any time you want. I am sure your shopping was geared towards them. Right?

Thank you for your kind words. We will await your next visit.