“Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
toronto
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Myself along with 5 other in my party stayed here at this phenomenal resort. We stayed at the beginning of January, weather was horrible. In 1 week of vacation we had a total of 5 hours of sun... Yes a total. You think that would ruin our vacation. Nope, not with the staff and the resort. Sun Palace Resort is unbelievable. The staff are at your service literally 24/7. The food, is authentic, different everyday, fresh, healthy, let's just say far from disappointing. The head chef takes pride in his food and display of it, the taste and quality too. It shows in what is served to the guest. The Italian restaurant is a big OMG! Lol! The head manager is by far so professionally with a funny silent side to him. For my birthday he along with my husband made it special. If you are going to choose to dine there within your stay, try the spinach salad, the eggplant and sirloin. We we're traveling with a popular chef here in Toronto, and he had only good reviews of everything he ate from breakfast to dinner to even snacks. Carols in the main dinning room is an amazing waiter and so fast. Before you know it your drink is replaced before you put your finished one down.. Daniel by the main pool, takes care of his guest out there. He arranged tables for as many as he could during the rain storms, and made everyone happy and tried his hardest to make everyone comfortable and at ease while dealing with weather conditions. Franciscco and Edel, were great entertainment staff. We have left with new friends. The rooms are gorgeous and very clean the Spa services are great too. Pablo thank you for accommodating us when in need. (16 hour delay). Because of your management style Pablo you're staff are happy, and pleasant to guest all hours of the day. They all enjoy working for you and only had great things to say. You should be very proud of the staff that represents your hotel daily. We will definitely be returning one day..

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank laurazuccaro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,716)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Our background (This was me and my wife’s first time to Mexico. But we like to stay at All-Inclusives. We are definitely foodie people and love only authentic foods from restaurants. My wife does not eat pork or red meat and get violently sick if she eats it.) With that said. Wow we are literally making plans to come back right now. Room service was fast and still hot. The Italian restaurant made some very good meals. The Alamo was our favorite. I ate the fresh fish almost every day…loved it. I fish for my own fish at home and can tell this was fresh. The Chefs made black beans and several other dishes for my wife personally due to the fact that it normally had pork. They were so nice about it and act as if it was no problem. Loved their attitude. I know this may seem weird but I LOVE the ice cream. Get the vanilla… It is awesome. One of my favorite things for breakfast was vanilla ice cream and a couple pieces of bacon…(sigh) I miss this place lol. I couple of people who stood out was: Enrique and Arturo at the Alamo and our very sweet house keeper Maria Guadeloupe.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view
4 Thank Joseph B
Plainview, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

The hotel and the staff are wonderful. The service in almost all areas is terrific and problems are solved almost instantly. For a vacation spot that includes no excursions except for maybe a trip to the mall this is a wonderful choice. The pools are terrific and the food was great with one exception. The Asian restaurant is not up to the standards of the resort--the bartender could not make a proper drink in three tries and the service was terrible. However, the other restaurants are great. If there is any suggestion, there should be an additional buffet style restaurant for dinner with stations. Other than this problem at the Asian restaurant, the hotel, staff and facilities are wonderful.

Room Tip: Either upgrade to oceanview or use credits for a larger terrace.
5 Thank Marc G
Foster City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

This was a great resort, with impeccable service. We were unfortunate to have bad weather the entire length of our stay. The resort credit is nice, despite paying the taxes on purchases. We were told that as of December 24th, room upgrades can no longer be purchased with the resort credit. The views are beautiful, the food is tasty and has enough variety to keep you interested for a week. One thing stood out to us that was not ideal, and that was the noise. The floors are tile and door thresholds are barely there, so you hear EVERYTHING that happens in the hall and every time people above pull out a chair. We ended up with constant noise from above, moving furniture for literally HOURS. If we hadn't been confined to indoors so much with bad weather, maybe this wouldn't have been as big a deal. After two days of being woken up we went and spoke to a manager. The only comparable room for us to move to was a terrible view on the 1st floor. We ended up having to negotiate to upgrade to a concierge room since it was the only other available rooms, and they still didn't allow us to use resort credit even though the reason for moving was due to noise complaint. Originally they wanted to charge us $75/night to upgrade. We ended up getting them to offer it for $40/night, but were still disappointed to have to pay for essentially the same room with a larger patio that we couldn't use due to rain. The concierge massage was nice, but could have been purchased for less with resort credit. Still had furniture noise as well, but not as often and as long of duration as previous room (what the heck were they doing up there?!).

Overall, we had a relaxing trip despite the rain. The food was lovely, the staff was gracious, and the views were nice. We wouldn't probably go back to this Palace Resort since we have been there now, but would consider a sister property in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mindway69
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Amazing views, lot of upgrades and resort credits! Use your resort credits for room upgrades, tours and massages. Decent food, but you can use your wrist band to visit any of the other palace hotels. If you go for a massage, ask for Monika.. she is awesome!!
Loved our stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the junior suite with the whirlpool on the patio!
3 Thank ana_nox
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Oy! Resort credits for room upgrades has been a sore theme of lately. While the resort credits are still offered, they no longer avail room upgrades. However, we have a lot to offer with them.

Cancun is a beach, ocean, sun and adventure destinaton. Therefore, credits have been enhanced to improve on these points. Rooms in general, at Sun Palace are pretty much the same size and same equipment. The resort services are there for everyone's enjoyment. So do not over-rate the room issue. The service will be as good as it has been-if not better-.

Thank you for enjoying your stay and hope to see you again soon. It is always a pleasure to see our patrons back. You start being a part of the family.

Warmest regards,
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

My fiance and I stayed at the Sun Palace from Dec. 30th to Jan. 5th. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for an adult, child free resort.

We planned this vacation to do one thing: relax. We didn't want to do any excursions or spa treatments or anything other than laying by the pool/beach. Thus, we didn't use any of our resort credits--which worked out, because you have to pay a tax on them if you do.

The resort was well-maintained and the staff was friendly and accommodating. There was virtually no waiting for anything--no reservations needed for dinner and almost immediate service at all the bars. Also, it only takes 15 minutes to get from the airport to the hotel. We were off the plane, through customs, and at the resort in about an hour and a half.

We paid for the concierge level. This was well worth it because it makes check-in really fast. You don't have to listen to all of the ins and outs about the resort credits.

Tip: There is a hot tub, steam room, and sauna that do not require spa credits to use. All you need to do is go to the spa desk and ask to use it. They limit the number of people they allow into the hot tub area, which means it is never over crowded. It is tucked away, so don't forget about it!

The best thing is that this is all-adult, couples only resort. During our trip everyone was calm and laid back. No one was loud or obnoxiously drunk by the pool. It was just pleasant and relaxing.

Oh. And they had a Michael Jackson tribute show--it was really fun. The star was "Luigi Jackson". Hilarious!

My only complaint is that there is little to do if it rains and you get sick of eating the resort food after about 4 days--this is not to say that the food isn't good (it is!!)--it just gets redundant.

We will come back to the Sun Palace again, but only for four days instead of six.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mileah K
Thank you for very kind words.

When it rains like it did when you were here if you are not into reading, tv watching, table games, drinking and the likes, yes, it might get, as you say, redundant. We reallly don't expect a whole week of continuos rain and our destination has a lot to do with the outside, the beach, pool, tours, golf. But then, come to thinnk about it, I've been to very few cities where you could really have fun with rain. A few museums might help but in general rain is a bummer on a vacation.

Although one knows rain is good for the plants, it casts a grayish cover over anyone's mood. I am very sorry for this stint of bad luck for all my guests. Some took it in stride and others became a little irritated. Very understandable.

Ah....my apologies for the climate. I do hope it will be sunny when you return. Then no time is enough to do all there is to do.

Best regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We wanted to have a relaxing and intimate vacation after my fall semester of school (Dec 19) was done so we browsed and found this very special place. I was able to arrange a better deal with my travel agent than the ones on the internet and so our wonderful vacation began.

We arrived at the airport without any hassle. Our agent arranged our transfer which was by Olympus. Just beware that Olympus will try to sit down with you too and do a sales pitch. This is needs a separate review (YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MEET WITH THEM JUST TO GIVE YOUR VOUCHER!, you can call the local number to know when they are going to pick you up when you leave for the airport).

We got to the hotel and we were greeted at the door with fresh towels and drinks. I was welcomed with pretty flowers. We got there around noontime so check in won't be until 3pm I believe. We were welcomed by Nicanor (I hope I got the name right) and he was very good in orienting us with the hotel and the services they offered.

Now just a heads up, you will be ushered towards the sales people who will ask which excursions you would like to do and they will entice you with good deals as long as you will listen to a presentation over at Moon Palace. I didn't mind this because as I was reading the reviews, all the hotels are probably doing it. However, long story short. We decided to just relax and not be bothered by sales stuff. They were very gracious. Nan did a great job inviting us but we wanted to relax and spend our time to our liking. Besides, we only wanted to have one excursion anyway. Remember, you will still pay for the taxes of the hotel credits.

The hotel has a very welcoming atmosphere, almost feels like home. We got a welcome wine and they delivered chocolate goodies when we got to our room. Our agent was nice to send champagne too. We were very fortunate to have 5 days of great weather and Mr. Sun gave a superb showing all throughout. We were on the first floor, the patio was facing the oriental restaurant. In the morning you can still see the ocean and beach (Not bad, at all.) Only thing is you can hear when the next door neighbors are outside or when room service delivers to them. We still didn't mind because we were out 90% of the time and unlimited liquor helped us get that snooze. The rooms are well kept, they come in to clean and arrange it twice a day. This is being picky, on the third day our soap was really thin so we expected it to be replaced with a new one. Funny is when we came back from the beach that afternoon, the soap was still there so we ended up calling for toiletries. Overall, the room and hotel was well kept.

Now to the services.... The servers were amazing! I commend Pedro at the the El Alamo, very good at what he does. The Bartenders at the piano lounge NORBERTO and SAMUEL were GREAT, they just kept the booze flowing and kept us entertained. The servers at the beach were also great, they would ask how we were doing and give us drinks but not too often that I would want them to go away. Juan did superb.

I like Jesus/Jess Manuel, he was always gracious and smiling whenever we approach him to book for our hotel credits. He didn't make me feel like I was bothering him. Most of them were nice but some of them could do some more. The entertainment crew were also great! They made sure we had fun in the daytime and kept us entertained at night. Mr. Piano guy was awesome and our lady host was excellent!

Food was good but I agree that it was not great. I wished they had more flavor on the mexican food. However, the servers were again, the rockstars of this trip. We enjoyed the steak by the pool (YUM!!!), the grilled lunch by the beach pool was good and the oriental lounge was good too (Although it could use a little more light). The Tratto was also very romantic, try to get a spot on the glass side near the pool. The romantic beach dinner was also VERY NICE. We were under the stars and could hear the beach waves. They serenaded us too! The food took a lil bit of time as we were situated farther from the main kitchen, understandably.

We took the Chichen Itza excursion of the hotel credits and we had a wonderful trip. The bus was not bad and our tour guide Mari was excellent. We ate an authentic mexican meal (included in the tour) when the tour stopped for souvenir shopping and lunch. Again, just a heads up, the trip takes like 2 1/2 hours to go to Chichen and same hours back to the hotel. Bring a light snack (you can ask the hotel for packed lunch too) chips and water, etc.

We had a great time in Sun Palace Cancun... our trip was definitely worth it! We do not mind coming back in the near future! Thanks for the wonderful vacation. <3

1 Thank bugmei10
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Definitely a sound reasoning to go on vacation.

Your review indicated to me that even though you basically took advantage of the relaxation part you are not at odds with taking the Chichen trip and surmise you would be interested in other opportunities given enough time.

I am always very happy if my patrons decide on the easy time. We do that pretty well, as per your own words. The drinks are aplenty and so is the food. I really think you made the most out of the all inclusive concept, which is precisely our aim.

In a nutshell: Thank you for your kind words on Sun Palace and your thoughts on possibly returning. There is nothing better than that for us.

Kind regards,