“Simply Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Simply Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

If you read the rest of the reviews you will get all the intricate details but I have to be honest that I don't agree with all the reviews as I feel the things they complain about are really trivial.

Here's our experience:
We are from South Africa and wanted to visit Cancun.

Our flights were heavily delayed and then our luggage got lost so we missed our transfer to the hotel. But when we arrived we were delighted.

We did take one of the best rooms and options so it was on the pricier side but I must say the value for money was really good. The rest of Cancun is so expensive. If you go out to a restaurant the drinks and food prices are exorbitant.

In the hotel the options for food were excellent and the food was always very tasty and presented beautifully.

The choice of drinks and alcohol is also extensive and they have all the premium options available. This was really good.

The room was beautiful and the jacuzzi was great. There was terrible noise coming from what sounded like the jacuzzi but apparently this was due to the bad weather and the hotel couldn't control it.

The service overall is excellent. From the guest services people who helped with excursions etc., the restaurant staff and the people who cleaned the room. Everyone was very friendly and professional.

We loved the pool and wet bar. The beach was great too but the seats filled up quickly so it was difficult to get a spot. But then we'd just go to the pool where you still have an amazing view.

Overall, we'd highly recommend and return if we ever go to that side of the world again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elna P
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
You've certainly travelled a long way to get here and it is very heartening that we lived up to your expectations.

I love the way you describe what may be trivial. It is unfortunate that not everyone has your outlook. I agree: In the end the experience is the guest's. It is one as a guest who decides how to weigh issues and therefore how heavily or not they impact in what should by all accounts be a delicious usage of time.

Your comment on how expensive Cancun is-especially where good eating and drinking is concerned is very true. As residents, my wife and I usually go out every other Saturday or Sunday and my Wife drinks sporadically and I do not at all. So a meal for both of us in a good restaurant will end up costing around USD 200.- Another 100.- if my better half decides today she will have a bottle of wine.

This certainly situates the rates we charge as quite reasonable. We have an average of 3.3 meals to a guest.

I know it is many hours on a plane but sincerely hope that if you do come back you will again choose us for your stay.

With highest regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,716)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orangeville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

After reading Trip Advisor reviews for months and selecting this resort based on guest reviews, we were disappointed in this hotel.

The location is picture perfect -beautiful beachfront property, close to the airport. "Some" of the staff were excellent, the food was "ok" and the service was inconsistent. The entertainment is really lacking during the day and evening. We were blindsided by the change in policy which resulted in us not being allowed to use resort credits for our room upgrade. They changed their policy after we made our reservation and we felt ripped off.

There were many "small" issues throughout our stay, and a few more majors ones, that overall left a negative impression on our trip.

We are in our 30's, enjoy traveling and do quite a bit of it. We are not big complainers and generally "go with the flow" but honestly feel that this hotel is extremely overrated.

Overall, it is a clean, beachside hotel, but definitely not a resort vacation destination worthy of five stars.

There are some amazing employees who do deserve recognition: Mario Alberto at the beach/pool service, Carlos in The Alamo, Lifeguard Daniel & Concierge Jose.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Revelry78
I understand and expected that even though at every point during the time you could use points to upgrade we did make it very clear that the policiy could change without prior notice, some of our clients would not like the change.

As to the rest of our comments, I do apologize and hope that we will have an opportunity to redeem our name with you.

Kitchener Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We started our Vacation January 26th 2014
The hotel was very clean and they were always painting or touching something up .Our room was lovely with fantastic selection of beer pop and juices as well as a great selection of liquor ! turndown service at night robes and slippers . the staff were amazingly friendly especially Jose Daniel at the busy pool !! Took advantage of the credits with me getting holistic massage and hubby golfing over at the Moon Palace wonderful massage from Elizabeth !!
Well rested from this hotel but the only thing Hubby and I can say is not enough entertainment at night for saying this is a couples adults only hotel it really died after 9 pm the evening shows were great and then the lobby bar had some activity but nothing to keep us up at night .
They need a better night club area .The last day we were there it was over cast so we popped over to the moon palace wow !!lots to do over there . We loved the Sun Palace but just felt it missed some more activities at night ,you could go down to the Beach Palace to the Sky bar but it will cost you a taxi.
The shows they did have were generally 1 hr long and were very good

Room Tip: The R2 bus is just outside taking you in to town and shopping it will cost a $1 us
2 Thank sassperella1
Thank you very much for your kind words. I am so glad in general we got to satisfy.

We have discovered thorugh the years that some of our guests do want later entertainment but there is a down-side: Next day, we get complaints of noise in the lobby and in guest corridors.

So we've decided to keep it low key in favor of the majority. The lobby bar is open until 1 o'clock in the morning. Truth be said, by that time we have 2 or 3 couples max. and like all businesses, we run on a budget. So we have to look where we spend our money. Late night shows are not our priority.

But you can take a bus to Beach Palace, not necessarily a taxi...less than 1 dollar.
I am not trying to be disrespectful, please, only honest.

Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Thanks to SP for a very relaxing vacation. Everything was great. Airport transfers were hassle free, staff at the hotel were all pleasant and attentive. I actually started to get tired of the frequent knocks at the door of our room to ask if we needed anything! All of the personnel at the desks, the beach and pools, and the restaurants were extremely attentive. The food was all good, including at poolside, and occasionally excellent. House wines were tasty, no real need to upgrade. Beach was great for jumping in the waves or melting into a chaise. Only ordered room service for morning coffee which always came on time. Didn't bother with any excursions, it was so nice just hitting the gym, the beach and the poolside bars that we didn't want to leave!

I've had some bad experiences at Palace resorts that have become Hard Rock, and felt I did not get the level of service that was promised as a Palace member. I don't need to be fawned over, but once I've agreed to pay for good service then I expect to receive it. Sun Palace however completely lived up to expectations and redeemed our opinion of the brand. We'll definitely be back.

The bed was amazing. I'd love to know what brand of mattress they use! We slept like rocks after every day of sun and rum drinks.

One little thing, the steam room/sauna was only available as part of a spa service. At every other Palace I've been to you can take a sauna any time you want to. I tried and got a bit of a run around here. I realize it's a smaller resort but I would really have liked it to be more available.

Room Tip: All the rooms have ocean view, meaning east. It's a W shaped complex however, so some of them ac...
2 Thank Sp0kes
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

This review is a little late. My wife & I were at SP Dec 29 - Jan 2 for New Years Eve. This was our 6th trip to the resort. As we age, our vacations have gotten more luxurious, exotic and expensive, including Mediterranean cruises, but SP will always be our home away from home. The facilities, service, food, drinks, beach, and room are all so great. Many of the employees know us and treat us like family. SP will always be my favorite destination.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank P M
Vineland, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

If you want entertainment, don't go to this hotel! There were only two shows, and they were ok but the room was very small. The night life was at one bar and not much to do there either. The hotel was old and refurbished the paint on our outside deck from our room was all pealing off. My husband ask for a special diner for our anniversary and they wanted to sit us outside where it was hot and windy, so he asked to go inside where they sat us at the back of the restaurant where all the waiters put down their trays and food. Cried the rest of the night. On a good note, the food was very good, service was also very good, and our room was always clean. The hotel was also very clean. Don't waste your money on the Concierge level, didn't get much for it!

Room Tip: We had room 631 ocean view great room except for the paint pealing on the balcony!
4 Thank Jackie L
For most of our guests, dinner on the beach is quite an event. I am so sorry you found it hot in January. We were really trying to make this occassion special for you.

I agree that the paint was peeling on the walls of your balcony. We are working full tilt to correct this mistake made by Sherwin Williams. However, you had one of the best rooms in the house, with a big balcony and a view to ocean and lagoon. Again, we misread you.

There is a show every night but not necessarily in the ballroom. It depends on the kind of show: One is on the beach,two in the ballroom and 3 in the lobby bar. But as most our guests will tell you, we are not a big night resort. Our regular guests prefer it that way. They have their own plans.

We really put our hearts into each stay and especially milestone events.

I apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Jasper
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

DON'T WASTE money on getting the Concierge Level-- we paid a lot of money for it and didn't really get anything from it . I am so surprised at all the GREAT reviews, my thinking is that no one has stayed at any other resorts. It was nice but I don't think we would return. The pools were small, the service was slow at the restaurants and NO buffet in the evenings, you have to go to a restaurant or order room service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family