“Great Time!”

Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great Time!”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed for a week at Sun Palace (Feb 9th to 16th); it's been a second time at a Palace resort for us (Cozumel Palace in 2012) and we really enjoyed it. The adults-only environment was very nice and peaceful, and the a la cartes were very good. The buffet was good, but as with many all-inclusives, it gets a bit repetitive, but that's to be expected. We even ran into one of the chefs who was touring through the lobby bar, just checking with each couple there on the service & food and the quality of them, and gave us a real enlightening conversation on the different tunas and preparation of each.

The much-touted resort credits are never really free (you pay a tax, I think it's around 16%) and purchase items that you can buy with them are noticeably marked up from what the shopping centre down the strip sells at. But the wine upgrades are a decent buy, and my wife loved the hot stone spa treatment. We didn't end up using all the credits since we had done many attractions in the area on previous trips to the Mayan. We did however get free tickets to see Chicago (the classic band) at the sister resort, Moon Palace, and it was a great show as well.

Our room was very nice; we stayed in the Grand Level and the guest service was nearly constant so we were never lacking anything. There was a bit of issues with the internet (it won't connect to iPhones) but it did fine with my laptop. The hotel was quiet and I slept like a rock, and the bed was very comfortable. Their gym is also one of the better ones I've seen at a resort, and was never too busy. All in all, I would go back next week and my only real complaint was that I had to go back home to the snow....

2 Thank Northerner101
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Very appreciative of your good comments of Sun Palace.
It is always our pleasure to be told that our guests enjoyed their sojourn.

I like your writing style: Straightforward and to the point. It leaves no doubts.

We hope to see you again soon.

Oh! And sorry you had to go back to the snow. Precious little we can do about that.

Sincere regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,764)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

On first impressions hotel was excellent, check-in staff very attentative. Booked a junior suite with a Jacuzzi and ocean view - room not overlooked by other rooms. Room facilities good, internet access sometimes hit and miss. Coffee maker but difficult to get hot water. Hairdryer and straighteners in room together with robes and slippers. Room staff good - towels changed twice daily. View superb. Very lucky with the weather. Hotel staff very good and very hard working - there is a tipping culture but we were very happy to tip good service. When changed money prior to flight large bills only available but hotel desk staff happy to change to smaller bills. Unfortunately jacuzzi did not work, reported but not fixed.
Food varied, breakfast choices vast, Italian restaurant excellent as was the steak bar ( for vegetarian's like me whilst my husband enjoyed his steak I had a large selection of salads to choose from). There was some inconsistencies across the various restaurants. Not all menus marked up gluten free meals. The Mexican restaurant did not have a single vegetarian main course on offer and the Asian restaurant offered only one. Being both vegetarian and requiring a gluten free meal the waiting staff were excellent and the chef very accommodating once explained.
The hotel boasts 3 pools. 2 are small. If you want a pool side lounger you will need an early start. Breakfast being served from 5am should give you a clue. However, it is a beach front hotel and the beach can accommodate late arrivals. Sand very white but the sun disappears over the other side of the hotel between 2.30 and 3.30 leaving bathers in the shade.
Can't comment on the reward points as didn't use them.

Room Tip: most rooms face the ocean but some of the lower level rooms and balconies are overlooked
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
I was going to say that if you have special dietary requirements, just tell the staff.

Our kitchen is always very happy to prepare dishes that conform to what you can eat.

But I guess you found that out by your own self, from what you mention.

Whe running full as has been the case throught these first months of the year I admit that the pool area is too small to accomodate everyone. But ther is always the beach, and with 100 meters of width, everyone gets a lounger.

I am sorry you mention this as a mixed experience. We always try to make it an excellent one.

Montgomery, Texas, United States
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The beach is lovely, the ocean and cleanliness of the beach is really kept up. The staff is very friendly and willing to help. The chef's dinner, if you can attend, is wonderful. This is a great property for adults only.

Room Tip: corner suites are good and all have jacuzzi
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Betsy W
Thank you for your kind comments.
Very condensed but nice.

I would like to give yo my personal e mail, pwinkler@palaceresorts.com and within your choices ask you about our grading of four points. Only because I see that all questions are rated at five and always appreciate knowing what would go amiss to not succeed.

I hope you let me know.

Warm regards,
Sandy Hook, Virginia
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We are Palace Elite members and we were so impressed with the Palace organization that we joined the “club” last year on our first visit to the Palace Playa Del Carmen. So, we just got back from a week at the Sun Palace in Cancun (2/1-2/8)and must say we were a bit disappointed with a few things………..so as many Trip advisers do I will give you the pros and the cons…

PROS-
• Weather was great, sun and warm everyday
• We enjoyed our trip (with credits) to Isla De Muerjes
• Rooms and hotel very clean with that great Palace fragrance
• Great food at the pool grill, especially one day they brought a fresh fish, yes, the whole thing and gut pieces of it to grill. They use real charcoal to grill vegetables, fish, seafood, steak, burgers, etc…..very good. The executive chef was there one day and I asked him if they had large scallops. He said he would get them for me the next day and did. They were delicious!
• Breakfast at the Alamo Buffet was Very good, especially the waffles and made to order stuff.
• Service- I’d like to give a shout out to the following wait staff that made our visit extra special:
Rudolfo in the Alamo at breakfast- always had my juice an coke lite
Karina at the pool bar—plenty of drinks, even when we didn’t ask, she would even go to the other bar to find a piece of fruit for the pin’a coladas.
Eddie leading water aerobics- Great job!
Monica in the spa who did my wife’s facial- Wonderful

CONS
• The Alamo buffet area was very small and crowded; it was hard not to bump into someone. Also they moved things to other areas each day and you had to hunt for them. Like ketchup was here one day and then there another, same with fruit, etc……..guess they moved it so you would think there was a larger variety.
• Pool Chairs……oh boy, we had read on advisor that there were plenty of lounge chairs. Maybe at the beach but NOT at the pool. I have some mobility problems and could not use the beach lounges since they were so low to the ground. We discovered that we had to “reserve” a chair on the terrace level above the pool by 5:30 AM each morning or we would be out of luck. My wife did this and actually sat in the chair and watched the sunrise each day. By 2PM the sun is gone behind the building.
• Food…..well, I enjoyed the food. It might not be 4 star but it was good. On the other hand, my wife did not. She likes her food hot so if it is supposed to be hot, she wants it hot, not warm.
She ordered fish at the steak restaurant (outside) and it was very mushy. My mashed potatoes tasted like the box variety. Soup at the Asian restaurant was warm, her fish there also cold.
Even the coffee in the Italian restaurant was warm, even after she asked twice for hot coffee.
This is not what we should get at a 4 star place. More like a 2.5 place.
• Entertainment…we saw the retro show and Michael Jackson show and both were very good. However, they were the same shows we saw last year. Maybe they could change them form year to year. A little more variety….

2 Thank Walter B
I take it that our very mediocre rating stems from two things: Availability of pool longes and temperature of food and coffee.

I do apologize. When completely full it is very difficult to offer space in the pool areas due to the way the resort was built to make the most of the plot it is constructed on.

Our guests enjoy dining outside, looking at the ocean. And yes, the drawback is the wind, which doesn't help if you want piping hot meals. I am sorry for this.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We had an amazing vacation at the Sun Palace. Everything was wonderful. We got greeted with flowers and minted towels. The ladies got roses at every restaurant for dinner. It is a small, quiet, relaxing setting near the end of the strip. The beach is beautiful. The couples only was fabulous. The food was absolutely amazing, especially the lunches by the main pool We got served amazing seafood paella one day fresh out of the oven and another day they served a 26lb fresh grouper that they filet right there and grilled for you with a variety of other seafood. The steak restaurant was suburb as well as the Italian and the Asian. The drinks were great, if you want top shelf just ask for it. Shout out to Francisco the activities director, Consuela our poolside waitress and Jose the swim up bar bartender. They made our days fun and relaxing. They even surprised our friend Allison on her birthday and brought her a cake out at the pool and they all sang to her! Also a shout out to Daniel who always got us our favorite wine in the evening! He took care of us!! The Spa was great as well. The place is very clean. They are always cleaning. The staff works hard and if you ask for anything the answer is "my pleasure" . Yes you need to reserve the good chairs at the pool early but that is common at any resort I've been too. They could use some more late night entertainment but if you want that you can always go into town. We did go the Beach Palace for dinner one night and enjoyed their Sky Bar on the roof deck. We liked the Sun Palace better though. A wonderful place and I would highly recommend. And remember to tip the staff, they work hard and deserve it!

2 Thank Tammy G
You are very kind.

Let me share a little story that comes from many years of being in the hotel business:

Not too long ago, fish was a no-no in general events. You just didn't offer fish because in general, guests would prefer red meat.

Imagine my surprise when one day I see this humongous grouper in the buffet. I was about to tell the cheff to do away withit but he assured me it would be very enjoyed.

Being a believer in the decisions my crew takes but with trepidation I let it happen and to my delight it was a great success.

Comes to show you how trends change and that even an old dog can learn new tricks.

Thank you for your very kind words and hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I had started typing a long detailed review but I just deleted it because all you need to know is this place is wonderful. Anyone that gives this place a bad review is just freakin crazy!
The food, the rooms, the beach and pool all great.
If you are like me and check tripadvisor twice a day espically after booking the resort
you can quit. Relax and enjoy your trip.
The night life is pretty quiet but heck you are in Cancun take a cab to congo bogo and get crazy
I will have to give Martin and special thanks at the front desk
Our flight got screwed up with a connection through Charlotte and they got 10 inch of snow
and he got my reservation moved back 2 days without any problems.
Have fun!

Room Tip: umbrellas at the beach go quick in the morning.
4 Thank clayrichky
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Heh, heh...I check Trip Advisor about four times a day...but for comments.

But rightly put: Once you've made the purchase many of us get the eebie jeebies about having taken the correct decision.

Let me tell you a secret: On this side of the table we also wonder-when you arrive-how is the best way to make this customer happy?

You have put down your good money. We in turn have to live up to our reputation.

Reviews like the one you wrote certainly help our cause. We do care how you feel whilst with us and you make a lovely point in favor.

Thank you and hope to see you back soon.

Best regards,
Floral Park, New York
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sun Palace early February 2014. After suffering through what seems like an endless winter in New York, we decided to take a trip to somewhere warm. We looked at resorts through Costo, and picked Sun Palace based on the fabulous reviews on this site. We really couldn't have made a better choice! I appreciate all the honest comments and recommendations!

A word of warning, as you step out of the airport, you will be bombarded! Keep your head down, and go directly to your transportation. Once you are outside, it's smooth sailing. We used Best Day, and were very happy with them. They were friendly, polite, and responsible drivers. As soon as you get to the resort, you are greeted by smiles, smiles, smiles. When I arrived (unfortunately, my husband and I arrived separately!), I didn't have much of a wait to check-in and immediately got settled in. Everybody there is truly friendly and helpful. I may have some jaded NY cynicism, but that went out the window at Sun Palace!

My absolute favorite part was the beach. It was so clean, and so serene, especially during the early morning. I was out before 7:30 am. Jussef and the lifeguard were extremely attentive- I barely had to look around and there was somebody at my side. That's the general service we had during our stay. People were eager to help and make us comfortable. I feel horribly guilty for not writing down names, but honestly, I couldn't fault a single person.

Some of the extra stuff we did - couples massage (an excellent way to start relaxing!) and the romantic dinner on the beach. We paid extra for the massage because the credits were limited, but definitely worth it. And the romantic dinner- definitely oh-so romantic. It was a little bit off to the side and although there were other couples, it felt like we were the only ones. The server went above and beyond, yet at the same time gave us our privacy.

Drinks were generous and plentiful, food was good, room was fabulous (and bigger than my first apartment), and who can forget that tub in the middle of the room?? We also met some lovely couples of all different ages from all over the world. I could go on and on about great Sun Palace is. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Thank you!!

Room Tip: Aim for a room with ocean view!! We were in 309, and I loved it!
4 Thank A K
Except for a two year stint I never lived with snow. It doesn't snow in Mexico City, where I am from.

I've travelled to places with snow and ask myself how can one live here? But I guess if you are born in a cooler place you are used to it and even like it.

So when I hear snow horror stories I really do commiserate. You are a better person by far!

It seems Sun Palace filled the bill in your case. Gave you the required respite and I truly hope you are back home with a fully charged set of batteries.

Thank you for your kind words.

Best greetings,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Le Blanc Spa Resort
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
Isla Mujeres Palace
Isla Mujeres Palace
#2 of 37 in Isla Mujeres

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!