Sun Palace
US$506
Hyatt.com
US$503
Bookit.com
Le Blanc Spa Resort(Cancun)
US$800
Bookit.com
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun(Cancun)
US$528
US$255
US$219
  • Pool
6,564 results
All reviewsthe concierge leveloriental loungesteakel alamopablo winklerla trattoitalian restaurantlobby baralamo restaurantroom serviceconcierge dinnerour honeymoonchef's dinnerresort creditactivity poolfire showdinner on the beach
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed 14th Feb for a week. Accommodations were perfect, the balcony was a little tight, but we didn't spend much time out there. Fully stocked fridge and tequila on tap. Food was above average for all inclusive. Some meals were excellent. plenty of variety at the buffet and lots of seafood. Pools were clean, temp was good. Ocean is a little rough along that coast. Beaches are lovely. There are no area's to snorkel there, rocks are sharp so take water shoes if you plan to explore. I had one complaint it was that there were not enough sun beds and umbrellas. If you wanted to guarantee an umbrella and sun bed you had to go down early and mark your place. Staff were all very charming and attentive. Nightly entertainment was a bit lame.

Room Tip: all rooms at this hotel look out to the ocean. The other side is the lagoon which is also a nice view. The lights are operated by inserting your room key in a slot. We got there at night and could not figure this out. we were not told about it before hand. The rooms were very quiet when the sliding doors were closed. Organised trips can involve a lot of driving to pick up people from other resorts, just be aware of this. We took one to Xenote which was great and one to Cozumel which was a bit long, but fun. Public transport along the hotel zone is great and cheap. 7.5 pesos a ride. Be careful at the airport the holiday timeshare rep was aggressive and pretended he was airport staff to get us to come over.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Indeed, service is very good. The lack of sunbeds and umbrellas is my responsibility and I've ordered enough to do away with this short coming. I apologize.

I do thank you for passing over this issue and rating us at five points. This always helps our cause.

In the end it looks to me as if you enjoyed your general vacation. Your comments have been taken and are being addressed.

I hope to see you back soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We just returned from our one week stay from Sun Palace and we left Cancun very happy with our choise. Overall service was very good, the staff work really hard around the clock. We would like to thank two young and very polite young chefs (esp Zaquoe) whose service was excellent on the breakfast buffet. He really went for the extra mile by providing items outside that days menu and personally deliver it to table without even asking!! Also the staff in Asian Lounge and Tratto deserves an extra credit. There were a few waitresses at Alamo who didn't seem sincere, and seemed that their service quality depended on how much tips you had left. There was plenty of food choice, each of us gained a few kilos. :) The only complain about food quality goes to room service, the salad leafs weren't fresh at all, it was a disappointment.

The room was very large to our liking and it was kept clean almost to perfection.

Valentine's day dinner was nicely organized, chocolate hearts delivered to the room with a bottle of wine, there was a violin player in the restaurant with a chocolate fountain, ballooms, roses and special catering.
We tried the couples massage too which was huge value after the resort credit reduction!
Gym was large and very necessary due to excessive eating we did at every meal :)
Fotoshoot service was something we had not tried before and also that turned out to be a huge success.
The bus transport on teh strip stops rigth in front of the hotel so should you want to go shopping you can do it at very convient manner.

2  Thank housewife10

Oh, wow! Not very often are we visited by Finns. This is very special.

I am sorry we did not cover your vacation to perfection but it seems you had mostly a nice stay. I must assume that we lost one point to the unsicnere waitresses and leaves of lettuce. You should always return something that does ot cover your expectations. My apologies.

How may I entice you to return? We do want business from Finland and you are quite cold most of the year. Right? A match made in Heaven!

Let me know when you decide to visit Cancun again. It will be our pleasure to serve you.

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We just got home from a most romantic and relaxing week at the resort! It was our first visit to Mexico and by day 2 we were already planning to comeback. We enjoyed a beautiful view of the Caribbean from our amazing suite. The food was excellent, particularly in Tratto, the Italian themed restaurant. The Spa was also noteworthy for the relaxing couple's massage and my wife bragged about her facial as well. The most notable aspect for us though was the service. throughout the week the staff were always giving it their best, I don't believe I could point out one instance that the staff were trying to make our stay enjoyable. I would like to point out three staff members in particular, Michael at Guest Services, his help and guidance about the area was great , servers Gustavo in Tratto and Victor in the lobby lounge were always exceptional!

Thanks to the entire staff!

1  Thank Stuart S

Those outstanding persons that you mention will certainly be recognized. They've earned it.

You made the most of your stay and fully understood that our speciality is allowing our guests to relax. That is what we live for.

Unfortunatley you had to go back to reality but we will be here whenever you need us.

With our best wishes,

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We went to the Sun Palace for our honeymoon, from 12th Feb-19th Feb. I'll never forget our holiday because I have never been anywhere like it. It was well worth the long journey. My now husband :-) carried out extensive research into countries and hotels because he was booking our honeymoon as a surprise. I know he wanted it to be amazing for me(and it was). We had gorgeous weather- a nice contrast with the weather in Ireland. There was just one day where it was overcast and we used this opportunity to take the bus downtown and buy a few souvenirs and see a bit more of the surrounding area.
We upgraded to a concierge room on arrival because we're only on honeymoon once. We thought it was well worth the extra money. It was very helpful to have a reception desk on our floor (5th) because there were no queues and everything was dealt with quickly and easily. We had room 521 which had loungers on the balcony and had a beautiful view of the Carribbean. My husband loves the sounds of the waves, so we left the balcony doors open a lot. I didn't notice any insects or anything when we were there. It was unlike us to spend so much time in our room, but we liked spending time in this hotel room because it was so nice. We got room service a few times. They were always very quick and the food was lovely. I particularly liked the pulled pork sandwich.
There was excellent products for use in the room, but you have to ask for these to be replenished. We didn't receive anymore chi product for the Jacuzzi after we used the first one. We did ask for it, but got another product instead. The first couple of days our room was cleaned later in the day, even though we had the green light on. We just mentioned this to the concierge and it was cleaned early in the day for the rest of the week. There was an abundance of clean towels and we really liked the turn down service and chocolates. Also the maids left some lovely towel art and flowers/petals for us.
We used some of our resort credits for a valentine's dinner, swimming with the dolphins and wet 'n wild combo and a seaweed wrap for both of us in the spa. I loved swimming with our dolphin, Roman, over at the Moon Palace. The waterpark(wet 'n wild) was very small compared to others I have been to. We also got Chicago tickets that we did not need to use our credits for.The dinner and concert was over in Moon Palace. I could not believe the size of Moon Palace and was very happy that my husband chose the smaller, more intimate Sun Palace for the purposes of our honeymoon.
Since we were concierge level we got a dinner on the beach included and a couples massage. We also had a honeymoon dinner on the terrace of the Italian restaurant. I loved all this eating after dieting prior the wedding. I was in my element-and the food was very good. Victor was our server for the honeymoon meal and the dinner on the beach. He was just wonderful. Very friendly and fun. He was very attentive, without being invasive. We were very impressed by him.
We spent a lot of time on the beach and Rubi was our main server there. Again, we were very impressed by her. She is a very nice, sweet natured person who works very hard. She always greeted us with a smile. In fact, everyone did. It was Victor and Rubi who stood out for us.
I am conscious of making this review too long. In a nutshell, we had the most magical honeymoon that we will never forget. Sun Palace was the perfect choice for us. We loved spending our first week as a married couple in a place where we could fully relax and enjoy each others company. Sun Palace provided just the right environment for us. I highly recommend Sun Palace (and marriage also):-)

5  Thank Elaine K

You certainly made me smile by your closure: Recommending Sun Palace (and marriage also).

I guess that sums your experience up. Honeymoon trips are supposed to be extraordinary and not only because where you travel to but with whom and for what.

I am always glad that you enjoy and very honored to be a part of your cherished memories but what I look for in a Newlyweds' review is how you are doing. Are you happy you took this momentous step? In your case I can be sure you are. It is very sad, and it does happen, thankfully very seldom that right at thiw trip differences start showing up in a couple. And I do not mean the small,everyday ones but really worrysome.

Certainly not your case. It is a blessing.

Thank you for sharing and for entrusting us with this special moment!

Our best wishes always.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We recently came home from a week at the Sun Palace. Feb 1-8. We really had a wonderful time. I will skip over what is covered a lot in these reviews and just get to the hits and a few misses for us. It was my husband and myself, and my cousin and his wife that traveled.

FIRST of all- BIG shout outs to Augustine, Ede, Vanessa & Fransisco. (and sorry for any mis-spelled names!) They a ton of fun and took time to chat w/ us, especially my friendly chatty husband, Mike :) The staff everywhere was amazing and Daniel, one of our fav bartenders, by the pool was outstanding! We had a lot of fun in the larger active pool. Mike played a lot of volleyball and LOVED it. I mostly sat on the edge and enjoyed the people, the ocean and of course a drink! Beautiful location! If you want a chair, get there by 7am to be safe. They go QUICK! Really this is what we loved the most. It was also my favorite food. At lunch time they grill a TON of different meats and vegies right there by the pool! Awesome!

So food... this is where there was some ups and downs. First the ups! By the pool I REALLY enjoyed fresh grilled Mahi Mahi and steak. Soooooo good! There are steamed broc, cauliflower, some salads and then there is fresh guacamole and pico de gallo and chips! My plate was Mahi Mahi, chips, guac and pico! Delish!!! That is the best lunch/meal ever! The steak was great too. My husband really like the chips w/ warm/melty/liquid cheese and meat. And the hot dogs ;) Something for everyone there! There is also a menu you can order off of--- but we kept to the items listed above.

The Italian restaurant. Heard amazing things. My husbands Bolognese was delicious and his minestrone was to his liking as well. The pork dish was to my cousin's liking. My husband's wife and I had the caprese salad which was a miss. No basil? Unfortunate. She had Tuna I think and it was overcooked. I had the pomodoro and it was not good :/ I hate to say negative things, but I read a ton of reviews and want to be honest. The mayan coffee was delicious! Service in this restaurant was a little hit and miss too. Really the only time I can say that as the service for the week was really great. Ice cream dessert was good. The ice cream on the entire resort was consistently good.

The oriental restaurant- quickly- what we ordered- good sushi, good starter soup, bland budda soup, great egg rolls and sauces! entrees- pad thai and fried rice- not good. Over cooked proteins and bland :( The sweet and sour pork was a hit though!

The Alamo for dinner was nice. We ate there quickly one night. The steak had really good steak, but the seafood we had (just one night) was overcooked. I have read various comments about the steak and it not being good so I expected it to not be good. It was good! My husband is from Nebraska and I think we are a little picky about beef- and we both liked it! And the Caesar salad here, the serve yourself, was yummy.

Breakfast. Many options. I always tried to have some of the Mexican dishes so I stayed away from pastries and omelets. The little tostadas such they offered were delicious! I also LOVED the green juice --- I think it said it was oj, celery and cucumber? Soooo yummy! Not too sweet. The pico de gallo here was delicious as well! I didn't realize it until our last day, unfortunately, but you can order whatever you want to drink from your server. We always just got coffee, but the last day I noticed lattes and more bar drinks. That's fun!

Room- lovely. bathrobes, slippers, stocked mini bar, good hair implements, COMFY bed (how often can you say that?!), flat screen (tho really a little hard to know what channels were ever going to have something to watch?), beautiful view, HUGE tub, 2 sinks.... you know most of this. But it was really nice. We had no problem w/ housekeeping. We did tip. And would leave a note asking for mini bar to be replenished w/ what we wanted. Otherwise it didn't seem to happen.

Tipping- do it. Please. Even in the pool area. Take 10 peso coins if you are concerned about money getting wet. Or tip a nice amount up front and be maybe done for a few hours. But tip. They are lovely people working hard and are servers deserve tips!

Here are some tips from me. Mid day I would need some coffee as I am almost 40 and am not used to drinking steadily and get tired easily ;) I would go to the lobby bar as they had self serve coffee and I would ask for a shot of baileys, because YUM! And have myself a little pick me up coffee. Super quiet and chill in there in the day. There are snacks in here from 5-7pm. Also kind of good sometimes. Use the red/green buttons for housekeeping. Get your chair early! Go to Isla Mujeres - its quaint and a fun little trip. We did this by catching the bus, very easy, and taking the ferry. Bus is a buck and ferry is around $20. Rent a golf cart and cruise! Fun. We went to the Palace resort there and it was nice. Smaller and quieter feeling to us. Couples only as well. We also went to Moon palace. HUGE! Not a lot to say about it as we were there for a couple hours.... drove ourselves. IF you don't like something in your minibar- request something else. At first I was timid about it and didn't want to ask and learned, again at the end of the week, that it is usually just fine and they will likely switch it out. Or I wanted some cran and they sent it right up :)

Ok this is getting longer than I thought and I need to get to work now ;) Will we return? Maybe. I will check out more reviews in the future and we will see. We liked it but it wasn't amazing, it was nice. We are loyal and like to go somewhere familiar so that may help bring us back too. And of course the staff... very sweet :)

I was told some of the guys want speedos? Please Mr Winkler, give them Speedos! :) They deserve them if they want them... in my opinion.

1  Thank portlandbridget
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Fun to read your comment and very interesting too.

I confess I had a hard time following because you group several ideas toghether. But you do make your point, espcially on the food.

I would love to tell you that we have given the guys speedos but these ar not what we are looking for as per our service and quality standards. They'll have to purchase these themselves.

Please plan on returning and let me know (pwinkler@palaceresorts.com) beforehand.

Cordially,