“Excellent vacation!”

Ranked #10 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Pennsylvania
“Excellent vacation!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned from Sun Palace, Cancun on March 8th, 2013. This was our second stay at the Sun Palace. We were greeted by the same, friendly efficient staff and enjoyed fabulous service every day, in every area of the hotel. Special thanks to Estrella(Consuela) whose personality and attention to detail is one of the reasons we returned to the Sun Palace...she was, once again, a pleasure. Also , Josif (Ivan), Daniel, Raul and Arturo...an amazing group who catered to our every need..thanks to all of you for a wonderful vacation.
The food is excellent, the accommodations were beautiful..we stayed in Room 526 concierge level, with a beautiful view. We traveled with two other couples with rooms on the same floor. The hotel is impeccable due to the staff who truly take pride in the appearance of the hotel.
The only drawback is the loss of the sun on the beach and the two smaller pools around 2:30 pm due to the location of the hotel. However; the staff more than makes up for that drawback. You will not be disappointed at the Sun Palace.

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank RJPPennsylvania
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you very much for such charming words.

It is a pleasure to see our guests returning and bringing friends or family. If Sun Palace is couples only: What better environement to refresh relations and spend some quality time with the peers you enjoy consorting with?

It is often that I see groups of 4, or 6 or 8 who obviously know each other talking or playing, etc..

When one hears of couples only the first idea is your significant other and yourself. But your words brought back an often overlooked reality alluding to this excellent chance for gregariousness.

Cordially,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,747)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is our 6th trip to the Sun Palace. We especially enjoy it because it is for adults only over age 19, I believe. The food is great and abundant, the personnel very friendly and accommodating. The shows are entertaining and varied.

Room Tip: Do not get the second floor over the Thai Restaurant.....you lose all privacy...
2 Thank CAROL523
Wow! 6 times already! We must be doing something right.

Honestly, our return guests are our special treat. You know them, they know you, therefore you are very attuned to what your repeat guests favor so that each return trip can be a success.

It is our privilige to be singled out by you for your Cancun stays and to boot that you like our food, service and entertainment.

Best wishes,
mpls
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed for 1 week at the Sun Palace, it was our first time staying. We debated weather to go to Moon Palace or here. I am glad we chose Sun Palace, it is a smaller more quaint place adults only. The pools are smaller but the water was warm and could swim in it. I have been to other hotel pools and the water is ice cold. We stayed in a junior suite ocean view 2nd floor. The view was great of ocean and beach. Some people reviewed they had a hard time getting chairs, I did not find this a problem. The hotel was full but always found a chair and umbrella. On the beach the life guard in a red shirt will get you a chair and umbrella. Service was great, Rubi was are server on the beach and pool most of our time she is so pleasant! Marcelo does the games and trivia by the pool, he is fun to talk with. If you have any good trivia questions bring to him. Jose at the pool grill was always helpful in getting what you wanted. The grill poolside one day brought in a fresh Mahi Mahi 44lbs and carved it up for lunch with calamari, grouper, mussels, sea scallops, made to order. It was the best lunch ever. There is plenty of fresh fruits and steamed vegetables and other choices that you can eat healthy. The Italian restaurant was our favorite. We did go to the Asian and had sushi that was good. Sun Palace is also on the bus route and easy to catch into the shopping areas, it is only 1 dollar each way. If you want to try a restaurant out of the hotel for something different across the street is Navios, very good. The only thing about our room I would like for a suite room is a sofa area instead of Jacuzzi which every room has. We never used it. Most of the week was sunny, 1 evening had a thunderstorm where 2 of the restaurants had to be inside. 1 tip bring lots of suntan lotion. We ran out and it is 22.00us in Cancun for a can a spray, that is 8.00 in US. Also found liquor prices at airport are not that good.

Room Tip: ocean view 2nd floor and up. Some rooms face side of other buildings.
2 Thank coolbabe1952
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Thank you for your review. I find it very positive for the most part except the comment on the room furnishing and suntan lotion.

I wish we could please everyone with the furniture they'd like. Unfortunately that would be impossible. Whirlpools are here to stay and enjoyed by most guests.

I do have a gripe with the comment on suntan lotion issue: Mexico is universally known as a corrupt country and in many ways this is sadly true. There are many Mexicans who try to fight it but corruption is a two way affair: Corruptor and corruptee. We have an inside store that sells first need articles and I accept the prices are high. There is a store accross the road which sells these at a better price and there are Walmarts and Costco's and Sam's galore.

Of lately, we've had issues with sunbeds. Partly because tips are exchanged for "reserving".

I am not saying this is your case.

When we find out that any of our employees under any circumstance is accepting tips for such situations, that particular worker is immediately terminated. It is very sad to see good people with families lose their jobs over "tips" for future services.

I have no problem with gratuities freely given for good service after the service is rendered but it is not acceptable otherwise.

I thank you for your good description and hope you will be back soon.

Dallas, Texas, USA
Reviewed 6 March 2014

When we were first thinking about where to go for Christmas, to avoid some undesirable family gathering, we had many places in mind but all of those were either too cold or too far. We found a nice package to go to Sun Palace with roundtrip airfare for around US$5k for both of us. Not only because it's close or warm, the all inclusive adult only resort is heaven for people like us who don't want to get ripped off by restaurants and hotel room service and who love some peace and quiet do nothing kind of day,

I would have given it a 5 star but because the hotel has only a few restaurants on site, one of which is far from good, that's the best I can do.

If you like to drink, all inclusive is your dream come true. Our room has liquor dispenser which includes rum, vodka, tequila and whisky (I think). I don't drink, so I drink either water or Coca-Cola. We read many reviews and did a lot of research before we went. We heard a lot about not to drink their tap water or juices... but we didn't have any issues with any food or drinks. The entire resort uses filtered water, even the tap water we use to brush our teeth. However, if you are planning to go to Mexico or any other foreign countries, I recommend you to take some probiotics for a couple of weeks before your trip. It really makes a difference. We brought some with us too along with the Airborne.

One thing about all inclusive is that, everything is free "inside". If you want to go to another resort, they do not provide free transportation. If you want to try some other restaurants in other resorts, even within the Palace franchise, you will need to take a taxi and it's usually US$25 per trip. We only went to Moon Palace once as we had free tickets to see the Holidaze, worst show ever. The sound was so loud we left the room in 10 minutes and paid $30 to get back to Sun Palace.

Our room is very very nice and we had breakfast in the room most of the week. Dinner on the beach is overrated. We didn't go, but who would? it's cool and windy and you are likely to have a lot of sand in your food. We were there for 5 nights, never saw anyone dine on the beach. Maybe it will be different in summer.

Don't expect to buy anything cheap in the resort areas. We did see many people line up at the pharmacy in the airport to get prescription drugs such as antibiotics which do not require prescriptions in Mexico.

I don't know if we will go back to Cancun, but that's the way to spend Christmas!

Room Tip: Do not get the Concierge Room which has the hot tub outside. Everyone can see you!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Much obliged for your review. And not at all a bad way to spend Christmas.

The value you get for your money, it seems, depends largely on your inclinations. Cancun, I agree, is not a cheap place, therfore, as you mention, all inclusives serve twofold: The first one is to afford secure eating and drinking. i will not go into preferences as they all vary.

But secondly, being a Cancun dweller for more than 25 years I know of the cost of eating and drinking out and there is no manner that anyone would get what you get at Palace for the same amount of money.

I salute you: Your comments are very precise and intelligent. As I kept rereading to answer I realized that you had covered most points which I am only repeating.

Michigan
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Been going to the Palace Resorts for the past 29 years, Been to all of them and by far the Sun Palace is the best. They have everything there that anybody could want, from the room, the service & the food. It has a excellent atmosphere & food displayed so beautifully.

Room Tip: Rooms above the Alamo Restaurant are the sunniest.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dodot368
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you. I hope you got home ok.

It is quite unique to have guests that have become friends over the years. I do miss our afternoon conversations.

Out of those 29 years, 18 have been devoted to busting my chops. I think that is a record.

Take care of yourself and your lovely wife and come vist again soon.

Big hug!
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed 6 March 2014

After reading all of the excellent reviews and the #5 rating in Cancun, I was beyond excited to see what the buzz was about. I did exstensive research on TripAdvisor and other sites to pick out an AI resort that would be a great fit for my wife and I. I will give a rundown of my thoughts on the resort:

1. Upon arrival, you are greeted with a drink and cold towel. Unlike other reviews, we did not have to wait for a room to be ready, even though we arrived at 2 pm. Check-in was quick and easy and within minutes we were in our room with our luggage.

2. Upon check-in you will be told to visit with the people to assist in using your resort credits. We were pressured to book excursions or tours outside those that the credits actually cover, because they were "better" tours. It is obvious they get paid each time one of those is booked. Out of the $1500 in credits, we used $1000 of this. It was spent on: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Encounter, Dinner on the beach, and a Couple Massage. After taxes, we paid around $150 out of pocket. The activities that the resort credits are allowed to be spent on is not a very long list, so don't get too excited about this. If you are planning a vacation here just because of the credits, it's not worth it.

Also, you will be told that you can visit either the Moon Palace or Beach Palace for a 90-minute tour and overview of the property. This is the timeshare presentation that everyone talks about. Even though they say 90 minutes, I have heard from multiple sources that experienced it that it is actually 3-4 hours. So, if you are interested in a timeshare with Palace or have the time to visit these resorts and sit through the presentation, feel free, but I didn't want to waste an entire day of my trip doing this.

3. The room was very neat and clean. We had clean towels brought to us each afternoon as well if needed. Due to being Coca-Cola/Sprite brats (no Pepsi please!), I left a note requesting only certain sodas and beer to be left in the mini fridge, and this was done each day until our departure! All rooms have an ocean view, so I don't think there is a "bad seat" in the house. We were on the 2nd floor and enjoyed it. The only complaint about the room is the lack of "fitted sheets". Since there were none of these, the sheets didn't tuck in and seemed to expose the mattress quite often throughout the night.

4. The pools and pool areas were small. For the "quiet" pool near the Alamo restaurant, the seating was very limited around the tiny pool. For the "party" pool (larger infinity pool), the chairs are more numerous, however, after about 2:30 pm, the shade covers half of the area. Also, to get good chairs at this pool, you must have a towel and book in the chairs by 7 am. Even by this time, the selection is limited. Due to the before-mentioned shade, the pool is also very chilly by the swim-up bar. The view from the pools is great though as it looks over the white beach and ocean. The service at the pools from the wait staff was excellent and always brought back the drinks (even special ones) we asked for!

5. The beach was probably the best of any resort we saw in Cancun. It was very well kept and nicer than those that we encountered. The only problem with the beach is the same that we enountered at the pool: seating. If you wanted a chair (ESPECIALLY with an umbrella), you had to be at the beach very early. As with the pool, the wait staff was great. Very responsive! The hardest working people at this resort were the chair/umbrella guys. Those poor guys were running all over the beach and serving everyone to the best of their ability. They definitely deserve more tips!

6. The activities were numerous and there will be something for everyone. Whether you are into water aerobics, beach volleyball, bingo, or karaoke, there is something to keep everyone entertained. Augustin was a great activities leader and has an awesome attitude! We were very impressed with the young man.

7. The food was very unimpressive. Being an AI resort, I would have liked more emphasis put on food quality and taste. The Alamo (only place you could get breakfast) had the same food each morning. The amount was abundant, but the amount of desirable food was very limited. The people cooking omelettes and pancakes did a great job though.

The pool-side food was decent. It had sandwiches, burgers, quesadillas, etc. One day, they brought in grouper and had lots of fresh fish and sushi, which was great. The food was grilled right there in front of you.

The Steak and beach dinner was very disappointing. At the Steak, the setting is great as it is outside overlooking the pool and beach. The food, however, lacked greatly. My wife and I each had a NY Strip, supposed to be cooked Medium Well and Medium Rare, and both came out to the same "done-ness". Also, both were so tough that it was hard to chew. The meats were also very bland and needed lots of salt and pepper to make taste decent. We are not picky eaters at all, so we were very surprised at our thoughts on this place.

As for the romantic beach dinner, the setting is great. You get to have dinner with your lovely (or handsome) along the beach with a small fire beside you. The food was lacking as it tasted the same as that at the Steak. The biggest disappointment with the romantic dinner was the service. There was only 1 waiter for 8 tables. It took 30 minutes to get a glass of wine and almost 2 hours to have a dinner that should have gone a lot quicker. We felt bad for the poor waiter as he was running around doing all he could, but he needed help. There were way too many tables to have great service.

The food at the Oriental and Italian restaurant were by far the best we ate. The oriental restaurant had excellent sushi and service. Definitely get the "Nube" or "TexMex" roll here! As for the Italian restaurant, it seemed that everything we ate was excellent! The steak I had at this restuaraunt was FAR superior to any other that I had while at the others. The service was also perfect. Looking back, I wish we would have gone to these 2 restaurants more!

8. The location is nice and convenient. It is great being able to be at the resort in about 7 minutes after leaving the airport. Also, just a $1/person bus ride will get you wherever you want to go. There is excellent shopping and other attractions just down the road. The Beach Palace is about a 10 minute ride and has several more restaurants than the Sun Palace. We tried the "WOK" and it was amazing. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who visits there.

Overall, I would give the resort a 3.5/5. There are a lot of people who work hard to make your trip enjoyable and stress-free. With just a few minor tweaks, I feel this resort could be top-knotch! I'm sorry to harp on the bad more than the good with my review, but feel that people may want this more when searching for a resort!

4 Thank Grishams12
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for a very extensive overview of Sun Palace.
You mention in closing that you are sorry for "harping" more on the bad. I didn't see it that way. Although of course was not ecstatic about your scoring.

When it comes to food tastes it is an individual world. I have to respect everyone's point of view. In the end, that is why we have one of the managers walking the restaurants at night and asking about your dinner. If something doesn't configure to your taste, just send it back. We will prepare it exclusively for you.

Lastly, I consider that saying what you think is the correct approach and as you well say, it helps future customers to make a decision. We are a business and we always wwant the high occupancies but never at the cost of our guests' discomfort. So if anyone changes their mind because things written, I'd rather lose a customer than my reputation.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We were at Sun Palace from Jan 5-11 for our honeymoon, and unfortunately it rained from the moment we arrived to when we left. Upon checking in, we got to our room and immediately headed out to the pool. A few hours later when we got back, half of our room was flooded because the window in the wall had a leak. The daytime management was extremely apologetic and moved us up to a concierge room within an hour. We went out to dinner and turned on the jacuzzi tub when we got back, only to have our room flood again. The jacuzzi tub was not even half way full when it began to leak.We were more than understanding with the first flood because of the rain, but the second flood was completely unacceptable. All of this was in a 8 hour time frame on the very first night of our honeymoon! Geez! We were moved to another room at 11 pm and the night management prompted us to talk to the GM the very next morning to get a new room arrangement for all our troubles. He was very difficult and did not apologize not once for this first day disaster. We were very poorly compensated and frustrated.

- The rooms were very nice and clean, room service was fairly prompt.
- The staff was amazing and by far what made us love our stay. My husband greatly enjoyed the entertainment staff during our week of rain.
- The food was fairly good. A little bit of a let down for the Mexican and Oriental.

We are returning to Cancun this summer to actually get some sun and enjoy the beach, however because of the management we will be going to a different resort.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hailey B
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for submitting this review. I must confess that after two months I do not recall the conversation that took place in my office but since you do I have to apologize for my rudeness. This is not the way I normally handle my clients.

In order to answer your comments coherently I did research the issues you mention, which are duely recorded in the PR logbook, as are my instructions to move you-free of charge- to a concierge room and increase your usage of credits at the spa from our usual allocation.

To have a guest go through two instances of water leaks is really a fluke but it did happen to you. I am just sorry you won't be coming back to my resort. That would be the only way to maybe change your opinion of Sun Palace and especially, its Manager.

Nevertheless, I am at your service and my e mail is pwinkler@palaceresorts.com