“First trip to Cancun”

Ranked #10 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Lewisville, Texas
“First trip to Cancun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We loved Sun Palace, our room was amazing, the service was outstanding and the views were breathtaking. This was our first trip to Cancun and it exceeded our expectations. Using local bus service is definitely the way to get around.

Room Tip: Be sure to get ocean view, some rooms overlook busy street in front of hotel so avoid those rooms
2 Thank Linda S
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello and thank you for your words and for having a good vacation at Sun Palace.

Without trying to be ill-mannered: Some corner rooms have an extra balcony which is the closest we have to the street. However, their main view as is with all our rooms is the ocean. Might we be talking of different thing?

Thank you for allowing us the honor of being your introduction to our beautiful city.

With best regards,

pwinkler@palaceresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,735)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I came to this hotel because my friend selected it for her wedding. A group of us stayed here for about a week.

The hotel is very clean and most of the staff are very nice, professional and helpful. I found a few staff members to be abrupt, but not rude.

The rooms are beautiful and clean. The pictures you see on Tripadvisor are accurate.

If you can, I recommend getting an Ocean view room. It was a little bit a cost increase, but well worth it.

Ironically, the buffet is pretty good, but the restaurants are ok.

We had a problem with a neighbor during our stay. A group of drunken college kids moved in next door and partied til 4am in the room and out on the patio. We had a 7am, full-day excursion that we paid $250USD for and we didn't get enough sleep. We had to call the front desk several times before they resolved the issue. The next day, we requested a room change and the staff took care if it promptly. Within an hour, they had upgraded us to a junior suite away from the rowdy neighbors.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get an ocean view room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I am pleased that in general your experience was positive and do apologize for your unsavory neighbors. They weren't college kids. We do not allow them but sometimes grown ups can be stupid and insensitive.

This is usually resolved with a letter of caution and subsequent eviction for the hard headed. These were of the second kind.

I know the wedding you attended was rather successful and hope this will offset the sleepless night on account of these guests.

Receive my apologies once again and my best wishes.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

hotel is really old and small, roof was licking all over hotel during rains, staff is kind of slow, especially at the restaurants, nights are boring not so many to do,massage is very overpriced for poor quality and in sted of 50 min it toook just 35 min, but what we really enjoy it is wonderful beach clean no seaweds, huge waves, and food was good, not so mauch variety, but good tasting!!!!! For resort credits you have to pay 16% tax what means nothing is free!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Leslie B
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I apologize for not being the resort you were looking for. At least you liked the beach.

I also thank you for giving such a new meaning to the English language.

St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

If you like Sun, Sand, great food, great location & great service this is the place. There aren't any evening shows put off by lounge singers if you need that you can just go up the road for a show.
Room was well appointed and included a jacuzzi for two, a great end to any day.
We rented a car for this stay but I have to say it wasn't really necessary.

Room Tip: Preferred rooms face the beach but there are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Don B
Totally in agreement!

You hit it right on the dot. Everything.

Thank you for your kindness.

Best regards,

Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Sun Palace for the second time June 1st - 5th, our first time was 4 years ago for out honeymoon and we had been planning to go back ever since. I was surprised at all the changed that had been made to the restaurants and to the beach. All were good improvements.
We ate at all the restaurants including the snack bar, service was amazing everywhere we went. Very friendly and helpful. Last trip the Italian was our favorite but this time it was breakfast at the Alamo. Plenty of options for anyone.
Unfortunately the weather was not as beautiful this trip as it was last time, but it didn't hinder our fun any. We love to lay by the beach all day, I think we only used the covered pool once. Even with the ran we encountered it didn't stop people from being by the beach and getting in the water. I must say the guys that set up the loungers and umbrellas on the beach are top notch! I never waited more than 2 minutes to get one set up for me. We always take extra cash to tip, since the staff and service is so phenomenal. We also never had any problems finding a place to lay by the pool or by the beach.
This trip we only did one tour to Tulum, absolutely worth it. We only had to pay $24 in tax to go, so the credits are not a rip off. I highly recommend going on the tours they offer, very fun and educational and a great way to learn about the culture there. Our tour guide for Tulum was Vic and he was fantastic.
The only complaints that I would be able to find are that the rooms are rather noisy, it didn't bother my husband much but I am a very light sleeper so I found it difficult to sleep in. But honestly I would rather be up enjoying the beautiful view than laying in bed till noon. Also at check in the gave the Honeymoon package, not sure why, but we were told we would have our room decorated and cake one of the nights, they decorated the room but didn't leave a cake. I didn't need the cake so I didn't say anything, but I am sure had I said something it would have been corrected immediately. I ate enough at the restaurants I didn't need extra cake!
Overall a fantastic vacation, everything I wanted! We will be back again, and hopefully without as long of a hiatus!

2 Thank june5th
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I do apologize for the cake issue and hope that this will not deter you from your coming back.

After all, if 2nd stay was better than the previous one I can only think that your positive experiences should get better and better. I surely would like you to experience that.

Thank you for trusting us with your hard earned vacation time. We will always do our best for you.

Best regards,

Bristol, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Check-in

On arriving a Sun Palace we were greeted with wine and cold towels, then joined the check in queue. After 10 minutes we were waved forward by the desk clerk, who then proceeded to thrust bits of paper for us to sign, without pausing from the phone call he was on. He gave us the room key and without as much as have a good stay continued his phone call.
The only time he spoke to us was yo ask if we wished to purchase an upgraded room
There was a wait to see guest services who explain the room credit system, so we decided to go and unpack.

The room

We had a sea view room, which was on the 8th floor on the corner and overlooked the sea and lagoon. The room was fine, but very hot! We had been travelling for 24 hours and just wanted a shower dinner and bed. It was clear the a/c didnt work, so we called and a maintenance guy looked at it and said he would be back in a hour to check. He didnt so After 90 minutes we called again and the man came and tried to fix something but couldnt . He suggested that we switch to another room. This is where our problems began.... We spoke with front desk who was aware that that the a/c didnt work and asked if we could switch to a room with working a/c for the night until ours was fixed. We were told no rooms available we are overbooked and so are the other hotels in our chain, you will have to put up with it ! By this time all we wanted was a shower and a cool room to sleep in ! I asked to speak with the manager but was informed they along with all the supervisors had gone home.

When I challenged this ad being rather unlikely as two hours earlier they had been trying to sell us an upgrade , he eventually agreed to get his supervisor to call us. After an hour of waiting, we were now getting rather fed up, so went to the front desk to try to resolve things. We spoke with the supervisor who miracoulsly found us a temporary room for the night and said that she could move us the next day. The next day somewhat later than promised we were moved to a concierge room on the 4th floor. The bell boy never showed so after waiting 30 minutes we moved ourselves. The room was nice, with a small balcony with two chairs but no table, it took 4 requests and 2 days for the table to arrive, The next issue was with the safe , we had problems with the safe in the previous room, and these continued. Every time we tried to use it it would say disconnected or just lock and not unlock, on tne third visit the guy replaced the safe which worked for about 12 hours until it went totally blank and no longer opened or closed. It was extremley frustrating having to spend hours waiting around for some one to fix the safe . In the end i took our valuables to the front desk and asked them to look after them in their safe which they were none too keen on doing !

We did make an appointment to go and see the manager Mr Winkler, who did listento our concerns regarding the problems withthe poor attitude of the front desk staff , but didnt really make any comment other than we have now upgraded you room

The Restaurants

Breakfast was the best meal of the day, served in the Alamo, a buffet restaurant with lots of choice, beautifully presented and really lovely staff. No other restaurants open for breakfast.

Lunch again the only restaurant was the Alamo, food choice was fresh and reasonable. You could also get snacks at the pool or beach.

Dinner, well... This was a major disappointment, there are 4 choices of restaurant for dinner,
However, the weather was poorduring much of our stay which resulted in the oriental and bbq grill restaurants not being able to open. Instead they just shoved all the food options
Together inside tne Mexican restaurant which to be honest was just odd!

We ate thai food in the Mexican Restaurant, it was probably the worst ever, I have a severe shellfish allergy which the restaurant was aware of but they still served food cooked in the same wok as shellfish, the chicken tasted strongly of prawn and I was unable to eat it. The next day, I was told not to eat at the Thai again as it could have shellfish in other dishes.

The Mexican restaurant was o.k ,service particulary from ENDINO was first class, sadly most of the food tasted the same.

The Italian, probably the est of restaurants but again, limited choice. None of the menu's changved during our stay and quickly got very boring.

The BBQ Grill, nice setting outside on the nights it didnt rain, however steak was thinand tough and limited buffet salads.

The catch of the "day" for the 10 days we stayed was always grouper !

The Concierge Dinner

Best described as an utter shambles, we booked this for my birthday night, and were told it would be served on the Terrace of the Italian Restaurant . On arrival we were told sorry the terrace is for honeymooners you will eat at the beach. The evenings entertainment was the fire show, unfortunately this meant several hundred people traipsed past our "romantic" table on the way to watch. Despite pre ordering which was required, they still tried to serve me seafood soup, despite 5 minutes earlier asking if I was allergic to it ! When the correct soup arrived, it was cold , the waiter took it back and returned agsin with cold soup and microwaved bread which was inedible. The beef main course was the toughest evet and completely inedible at which point we gave up and left. My romantic birthday dinner had been completely ruined.

Housekeeping

The room maid did a great job and worked really hard, she brought fresh towels each evening , (however we only get the turndown service twice) . On my birthday she decorated the room with petals and towel swans. Cant fault her at all !

T.V

Only Cnn and Bbc News plus a sports channel were in English, we dont go away to watch tV, but the weather was very bad for much of our stay , there was nothing to do when it rained !

The Beach and pools

The guy who puts out the loungers on the beach was efficent and obliging, no problem getting a comfy beach loungr and umbrella to keep the rain off !

The pools looked very tired and were very small, 2 are just plunge type pools and the larger pool was used for activites so no where really to just have a swim.
The red flag was up for no swimming in the ocean for most of our stay which was really disappointing.

Overall lots of issues, but some really lovely staff , wouldnt return to Sun Palace but will go back to Mexico!

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy
4 Thank justlimin2
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Everything that could go wrong did go wrong with you. As in our interview, again I apologize.

I must have misinterpreted what you wished to be done. If i recall correctly you wanted me to be aware of certain issues. Given that you were upgraded and seemed comfortable with this I didn't venture any further.

If I can be of service, please let me know.

West Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was our 18th AI resort vacation in the last 10 years. We have stayed at many of the best of the best AI properties out there...we found the Sun Palace to be a very good value. In our opinion the Sun Palace deserves the rating of being #6 of of 177 hotels in Cancun.

The good stuff....

-'Hats Off' to the architect! There are probably no bad rooms...the design is fantastic

-the hotel is positioned very close to the sea...none of the new hotels will give you this type of close proximity to the sea (I am sure their insurance cost is higher because of this fantastic feature)

-the hotel size is perfect...not a big monster hotel

-the service was fantastic all around!

-the $1500 resort credit was fun and a good value...we used it in the spa and to upgrade our wine

-the hotel is not cheap with their in room brand liquirs like many other AI resorts

-we appreciated the many outdoor dining otions...as most AI have only air-coditioned dining options which is brutal on a beautiful evening (this is a bit of a problem on rainy nights)

It is the most casual AI we have ever stayed at for better or worse. We did miss a more elegant / formal piano bar.
The food was a very consistent 7.5/10. The property is in need of some renovations...but it is still a very well kept 4 star property.

Upgrade to a Ocean Front Presidential Suite...if it is available...they are an amazing value!

Room Tip: Ocean Front Presidential Suite...is easily the best
4 Thank DrBeach77
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We are elated that you had a good time within your view of our informality.

I dare think most hotels in Cancun would be a tad informal by your standards but as I didn't have a chance to talk with you I don't know.

Thank you for your support and hope to have you visit us again.

Cordially,