“A piece of heaven”

Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
“A piece of heaven”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sun Palace in January--in the middle of the coldest, snowiest winter I've ever experienced in Canada. We were pampered and catered to and I hated to leave. From the phenomenal room, to the delicious foods, to the relaxation of the beach, this trip helped me get through the rest of the winter. I want to go back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Stacey V
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Most fetching words.

I guess you have to be born in a place where there is a Winter with snow and all that.

Being from Mexico I can only imagine how it is. But there are, as per many who live in northern latitudes, many good things about Winter.

On the whole, I'll stay here, though. So I will wait for you to catch up with me.

pwinkler@palaceresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,775)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 August 2014

From the moment we reached this hotel we were treated like we were special. The room was beautiful, spotlessly clean, turndown service and endless supply of towels was much appreciated.
Food was excellent the staff wonderful the drinks selection was endless. We never seen a frown on a face once. We were amazed with this complex. Met some wonderful people who made the holiday even more special.

Room Tip: Corner suite large and sunny with sea view.
6 Thank margus0
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
When making an overseas journey one should expect and receive the best.

I celebrate that you found yourselves enjoying such an occasion. We know it takes large amounts of money and-these days-patience to travel so many hours.

The next best thing would be for you to repeat this trip many more times.

It will always be a pleasure to host you.

South Riding, Virginia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I had an amazing experience during our honeymoon here. The service was the best I've ever had, the food at Sun Palace was absolutely delicious. The breakfast and lunch buffets as well as the fine dining restaurants. We took advantage of the honeymoon dinner and chef's dinner which was outstanding! Sun Palace food was WAYY better than Moon palace (which was gorgeous, but disappointing food) Please don't make the mistake of taking part of the time share demo (a huge waste of time). The beach and lounge area was beautiful and better than other resorts. One of the servers/bussers that stood out for us during buffet hours was Pedro. He was the best! So friendly, accommodating and genuinely a great guy. Please, Please tip your busers, servers, maids, etc. It's an all inclusive resort but they deserve the tips. I hope we can see Pedro in a few years, when we go back for our anniversary.
Okay now for the few negatives:
1) When checking out they overcharged me for "service" that was never used. Almost $180 over what was supposed to be charged. Very upset about that. If we weren't in a hurry to catch our flight, I would have waited for the supervisor.
2) During one of the dj/party nights at the lounge area. The "DJ" just put the music on auto play and left after the games were finished. Music sucked and everyone left. My husband and I still had a great time and chased down someone to put some better music on

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dreaisbrown
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at Sun Palace on our honeymoon and couldn't be happier with our selection. We received exceptional service from all the staff, ranging from turndown service by the maid staff to servers on the beach.
Beach: The beach was amazing... crystal clear light blue water, powdery white sand that didn't get scorching hot, and comfortable, cushioned beach chairs. There were also plenty of umbrellas, which you'll definitely want to use! We also loved that there were no children running around kicking sand on us as we relaxed and enjoyed our beach time. One very helpful server on the beach is named Mario. He works toward the left side of the resort's beach area. I'd imagine the other servers are just as good, but Mario really overwhelmed us with how well he took care of us while we were on the beach each day. He ran us drinks from the bar (beer, mixed drinks, or bottled water), and even served us food directly on the beach! After our first day at the beach, we took a few days off to do excursions, but Mario remembered us and addressed us by name when we returned to the beach later in the week, which made us like him even more! I didn't tip everyone (it's an all inclusive resort and some others have told me it's not expected), but I did tip a few dollars to the guys who would take care of us on the beach because I know it's gotta be hard working in the sun all day.
Restaurants: The food and staff were great, and one thing that we really appreciated about the restaurants at Sun Palace was that we never had to wait to be seated. Our food was always fast and delicious. Even the presentation of the meals (something I normally don't pay much attention to) was exceptional. The buffet breakfast with made to order omelet and pancake bar was probably my favorite... just starting the day off eating such amazing food.
Rooms: We stayed in 833, which had an amazing ocean view, but a smaller balcony compared to the rooms on the 6th and 7th floor. However, the room was great, and we were happy to be where we were.
Overall, this resort was great for my wife and I on our honeymoon, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants an intimate, and relaxing honeymoon. Oh yeah, and if you're lucky, you'll see big sea turtles lay their eggs on the beach at night... and maybe even get to release baby sea turtles into the ocean! :)

Room Tip: Floors 6 and 7 have huge balconies. Other balconies are very small, but that didn't bother us.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Zachary K
The best part of your review is the fact that you were on your honeymoon.

It is a special honor for us to be given the opportunity to host your most memorable trip and be part of a happy experience.

Thank you for your kind words. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Hopefully we will be considered for future trips. It will be our pleasure.

With our best wishes,

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

From the minute we stepped foot in this hotel we were made to feel very welcome!

The rooms were amazing! Can't beat a jacuzzi in your room :-) they are very clean and the mini bar was well stocked! Was a little disappointed with our view of the sea as we were on the side of the hotel! But we did get views of the lagoon to! So not too bad :-)

The restaurants and food were really nice! Made to feel special in every one and the evening entertainment was good !

It was really nice to be able to go the pool and the beach and not have to fight for a sun bed!! And the staff around the pool deserve a medal for their hard work!! As soon was your glass was empty there was a fresh one on the side!!

Also the reception were really nice ! After 2 days I had an allergic reaction to the plastic wristband and they had no problems letting me attach a new one to my purse!

I would defiantly suggest a day in this hotel!! Worth every penny !!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lisa R
Always a treat to have visitors from the U.K..

I kind of like the rooms that have both ocean and lagoon view. There aren't too many and this vantage point makes for wonderful sunsets, which most of the resort does not have.

We are most honored to know that you enjoyed your stay at Sun Palace and hope it is the first of several.

With our warmest salutations,

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Room: Large and comfortable. Great view and well stocked all inclusive bar. Shower and bathroom is huge.
Hotel: 2 pools and great beach access. Service and staff are very attentive and polite.
Food: Best we had on the 10 day tour. It set the standards high. All kinds of Mexican dishes and international options freshly made in front of you.
Location: In the hotel zone so taxi/bus to get to town or places of action.
Otherwise you can stay at hotel and enjoy for a week tops. A 10/10 for this hotel but the beach is not the best in Cancun region (hint Isla Muljeres)

Room Tip: Get a sea view room
4 Thank ChasethatDish
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Why, thank you! A most enhanced opinion of our resort.

After all the good things I must ask about the beach comment. I really do think ours is one of the best beaches. You mention Isla Mujeres but there is a lot of seaweed in many of its beaches.

If you have the time: Would you please send a note to my e mail as to the nature of your observations on this particular subjct?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Sun Palace prides itself of being one of the first "all inclusive" hotels along the "zone hotelira" in Cancun. Everyone we met during our 3 days stay works hard to held the flag of "all inclusiveness" very high.
Dinners are all inclusive - alla cart experience in Italian restaurant was excellent. Room service brings you order to the room 24hrs. Credits from the resort entice you to try spa as an all inclusive experience.
Travelling through Yucatan Peninsula over ten days stay I could really appreciate this effort on the side of the resort to keep you pampered.
However, it is corporate experience at the end of the day. It is calculated to offer the service and syphon more money from your pocket. Your resort credit is there to entice more spending not really to make all your incidental expenses covered. After week long touring different hotels I've been in urgent need of fresh laundry. To do it in the resort it would be ridiculusly expensive
= around $4.00 US for underware or $7.00 US for the shirt , so thanks to Tripadvisor I found location where almost entire content of my suitcase can be washed for $10.00. The resort credit of $500.00 had to be spent on unnecessary things as laundry service is reserved only for members … I missed authenticity of the experience that some much cheaper hotels on my Mexico trip had to offer.
It matter of preference, no doubt it is resort worth praise, but at the end of the day, I missed "a bit" of something … maybe few more days of luxury?

3 Thank Mair M
Ah...thank you for the good things you list.

One thing is certain: We cannot be a "luxury all inclusive" and a cheaper hotel at the same time.
Cancun is not the spot for "colorful old Mexico" it is not even 50 years old. So it was designed with modernity and efficiency in mind.

While I applaud your desire for things more of this earth, truth be said it is not the environment that our typical guest is looking for. In heavy demand are air conditioning, flat screen tv, wi-fi and such. That's not "Good old Mexico". It is a global trend.

But the smiles and the service are very Mexican and very genuine.

Cordially,

pwinkler@palaceresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#10 of 175 in Cancun
Isla Mujeres Palace
Isla Mujeres Palace
#2 of 37 in Isla Mujeres

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!