“Sun Palace Paradise”

Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
scotland
“Sun Palace Paradise”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Sun Palace for 14days and had a wonderful time. We went there to celebrate 50th birthday. Lovely cake and sparkling wine in the room. We had a jnr suite which was hugh with wonderful oceanview. Apart from the fantastic beach the best thing about the hotel is the staff, everyone had a smile and a friendly greeting. Food was good ,but a few nights we went along to Beach Palace for sunsets and ate in their restaurants , would say their Wok restaurant was better than the oriental in the Sun Palace. Only thing which could be improved we thought was the evening entertainment which was wasn't great. However we had a wonderful time and would be back again soon to spend the rest of our resort credits , if it wasn't a 10hour flight away !!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank hippy17
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Ah, yes, 10 hours of flight. And thank goodness for that.

Not too long ago, the only way to get here from the U.K. was through the U.S.. What a nightmare! The security measures are such that 3 hours were often not enough to make a connection...

Fortunately there are now three direct options. So to people like myself with family in the U.K. 10 instead of ca. 16 sounds like Heaven.

We appreciate your comments highly. It is obvious you are well traveled and know what you like. We will be reviewing our food offer in the Asian restaurant to make sure you suffer those 10 hours gladly.

With our warmest memories,

pwinkler@palaceresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,778)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cochrane, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

wow! this place was exactly what we were looking for! Well maintained, clean hotel. Great section of beach and really awesome pools. We arrived and were greeted with crisp chilled champagne and my mom and I were given a flower. Great room, lovely view, jacuzzi on the patio!
We very much appreciated that the resort was adult only, as we were 4 adults travelling we noticed a big change from other trips taken when kids were around.
Food was good, we checked out each of the restaurants at the resort. The only time we ate outside the hotel was on the two tours we booked: http://www.cancunwhalesharktours.com/cancun.php
would highly recommend these guys, we had researched prior to booking as I wanted to be sure we were doing a very eco friendly tour! They were fantastic.
We also did a Chichen Itza tour through Sunpalace.
We didnt quite understand how to use the "credits" so we used that and booked a couples massage and thats how we did the tour of the ruins, you just pay the taxes. But when we checked out we had lots of "credits" left and they gave us a card- the credits are good for a year (I see another vacation in my future :) )
I really dont have much negative to say about this place, but there was one thing I found concerning. I give major kudos to the resort in their effort of sea turtle conservation and was lucky enough to witness some turtle come up to lay eggs, it was a magical sight. The one night we watched from the balcony (we didnt want to disturb her). we went back out a couple nights later and there was us and another couple, we kept a respectful distance and just sat quietly, they did too. It was about 1030 pm a few point over the evening we watched so many people crowd the turtle one girl walked straight up to it and flashed a camera in its face! Its was terrible. Finally a man (not sure if he was a sun palace person) came and started supervising as best he could (there was alot of people by this point). So he tried to keep people a certain distance away. We had one turtle come half way up the beach and the guy keeping an eye on things asked the man to move- twice!!! and we wernt close enough to hear but basically the guys said no. the poor turtle turned back and went in the ocean. and even worse another turtle didnt even beach, she saw the people and cameras and swam back out. I felt bad for the guy, three turtles, so many people he did the best he could. Eventually all the other people left and it was just us and another small family we jst sat and waited. It was really lovely. the guy keeping an eye on things came back with a cooler, and 2 extra people wearing red head lamps. we all watched the turtle go back to the ocean and the guys dug the eggs up to move them to the little fenced off areas of the beach. It was really amazing. The whole experience was very eye opening, the lack of common sense by some people and the fact that the guy keeping an eye on things seemed to have no authority what so ever and just the lack of supervision. It was disappointing. I believe things are going in the right direction and can be improved on :) I have faith in the program.
To top off our AMAZING time at sun palace we were having our last dinner before we had to leave the next am (at the italian place) and some hotel staff came to our table to invite us to release baby sea turtle in the evening!!! It was awesome! We meet at the pool area at 10pm got to take a couple pics (no flash) then carry our turtle down to beach! AMAZING!!!
Would stay at this resort again and would stay with other Palace resorts! Very happy

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tsplash83
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have stay in hotels that have amazing views, amazing pools, or amazing restaurant but this has them all in a compact location not to big so you will get lost not to small just right size is jewel for couples and the service for included is excellent I definitely coming back to here again.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Emhot
Your opinions were very compactly presented as well.

There is definitely a lot to be said on the issue of size in a hotel. Although I'm a firm believer of the "to each their own" maxim, resorts that go on for miles on end are frankly a nuisance. I like to get out of my room and into the pool or beach without effort. It is a severe pain in my opinion, if you have to return to your room, to take 20 minutes to get back at a steady pace.

If I'm on vacation, so is the rest of me. It is that simple.

We are indebted for your very nice review and do hope to see you back soon.

Cordially,

New York
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed in the Sun palace for seven nights from July 12 to July 19 for a second time. This vacation I brought along my wife's aunt he sister and brother in law. While we were there we was Celebrating my wife' s brother in law birthday. The staff's attention to detail made his birthday a day he will never forget. His room was decorated with balloons and they left a fruit basket and cake. Upon his arrival to his room he was surprised. Then that evening they prepared a special meal for the family and we were seated on the pool deck facing the beach watching the fire show. What an awesome experience. I can not say enough about the fabulous service and the attention to detail that the staff provided. I would like to thank Eduardo Sarmiento, Chef for all the great meals prepared and the time spent with our family explaining the Culinary process. I would also like to thank Paola Castro Martinez, Hostess for always receiving us with a great smile during our dinner service. I can't say enough about this place other than it is a must place to stay whenever you are visiting Cancun. High recommend the Sun Palace. It was my send stay and definitely not the last stay.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alberto N
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
This is what we do!

Both persons you mention, to my delight, haven't been with us too long. Which means that as a team we are succeeding in generating new "Sun Palace" values. It takes anywhere from 6 months to a year, depending on the position and the person for someone to feel comfortable in their job. So the fact that relative newcomers have gotten hold of it so quickly is a bonus. Thank you for letting me know!

We are very honored that we were able to please on your return and hope to keep on doing so in many more visits.

Cordially,

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at this amazing hotel.
I holidayed at the Sun Palace with my husband (we are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary) and his sister (celebrating her 60th birthday) and her husband. Upon arrival we were offered to upgrade our rooms to a Presidential Suite. We were shown both rooms and whilst our original rooms (sea view) were lovely when shown the Suite ( 524 and 525) we couldn`t resist. It was huge, with an entrance hall, a living area/dining room, a bedroom per couple and the biggest balcony I`ve seen. This accomodated 2 jacuzzis, 4 loungers, 2 tables and 4 chairs and still had plenty of space. The views were amazing and we became turtle spotters from our balcony every night. ( The people who took flash photography of the turtles should be ashamed of themselves! )
The staff are so helpful and friendly I can`t speak highly enough of them, in particular our pool waiter Jose Daniel - I`m missing my Miami Vice !
The food and drinks were plentiful and varied. We visited all of the restaurants during our 2 week stay and enjoyed the food and service at each of them ( my husband`s favourite was the steak restaurant - HUGE steaks ).
There was never a problem with sunbeds, if one was not available the staff would quickly sort out beds and umbrellas where ever you wanted.
The hotel is presently being repainted and repaired but this did not cause us any problems.
The only slight downfall is the evening entertainment - too many karaoke evenings.
The spa and salon are wonderful and relaxing and again the staff are all lovely.
We went to Isla Mujeres and swam with the dolphins (amazing) through resort credits and it worked out so reasonable. We also had salon and spa treatments through the credits which again were a bargain.
An excellent hotel and amazing staff made for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Presidential suite - if your budget can stretch - maybe better, if available, to upgrade in resort...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Carole M
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Presidential suites have the best views. They are very recommendable for two couples who know each other well. And they are so large!

Finally we are starting to see the end of the painting of the outside part of the building. I am the happiest of them all! Two years in the making, trying not to bother customers and make sure it is a good job.

A very kind review that you have given us. It is the best to know we did good by you. We hope to do so many more times.

Best regards,

Dublin
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here in July for the last 5 nights of our honeymoon. We were blown away by the service we received during our stay. The staff literally could not have done enough for us.

In addition to the amazing service, the food was fabulous with great options to suit various preferences. The beach was just beautiful and the service on the beach was brilliant.

Being honeymooners they provided a lot of extras for us like a special honeymoon dinner, champagne and a just married cake in our room.

It was the perfect way to finish off our amazing trip and I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Niamh J
How different and unique people are and how important it is to be thorough when researching a travel accommodation.

Totally per chance, your fabulous review comes after a disastrous one, written by guests who didn't take enough time to think if ours was the place they wanted to be.

Making an opinion on where to stay is not easy. Especially if you do not know the country or even the city. The reviews set forth by Trip Advisor and other such sites certainly do make a difference.

By the way you tell of your experience you are the kind of people who is happy most of the time and anywhere. This is a blessing.

Thank you for your kindness and your visit. May this be one of many.

Best regards,

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked two nights in Sun Palace to close our road trip through Mexico. We have been so bored that we could not believe some people were actually staying in Sun Palace for two weeks !!

The bedrooms are nice and clean but:
- The food is pretty bad (special mention for the Italian restaurant, REALLY BAD)
- The drinks are bad (beers diluted in water, most of them served in plastic goblet, cocktails with the cheapest spirits )
- The nightlife is inexistent ! The most ''lively'' place is the karaoke bar where 15-20 people are sitting down watching a group of drunk tourists trying to sing.
- Nothing is going on. The only activity is having a bath in one of the small swimming pools or in the sea (the best by far).

To summarize, Sun Palace has absolutely no interest but is actually quiet expensive.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chachamex
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Not one of the best reviews we've gotten but thank you anyway, all reviews help us to better understand our different types of guests.

Two things caught my eye: You definitely were looking for another type of atmosphere if what you wanted was a booming night-life. Our guests come to rest and relax.
The other is your mention of plastic cups. Yes, we use plastic cups in the pool and beach areas for safety. You see, those areas have a lot of people without footwear. We cannot chance someone cutting themselves. The rest of the resort uses glass.

I am sorry you so disliked Sun Palace. Obviously not the right choice.

Sincerely