6,758 results
All reviewsthe concierge leveloriental loungeel alamosteakpablo winklerla trattoitalian restaurantlobby baralamo restaurantroom serviceconcierge dinnerour honeymoonchef's dinnerresort creditactivity poolfire showdinner on the beach
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We celebrated our honeymoon at Sun Palace for 2 weeks. Honestly I could not fault it and my wife and i are so happy we chose SP as our honeymoon destination. The staff in all areas of the hotel were always obliging, kind, approachable, helpful and smiling. Unbelievable service which is highly commendable. What a professional team! Particular props to Christy, Vanessa, Edel, Marcelo, Cruz, Agustin and Marvin! You guys were awesome and made us feel at home. The room was a Junior Suite and was very sizeable, kept immaculate by housekeeping and retained a beautiful view of the sea. The service in Tratto was amazing, thanks Marvin. We enjoyed the selection of fruits and the omelette/pancake service at breakfast. I enjoyed volleyball on the beach. Everything in the spa was fantastic. Full marks from me! We will definitely be returning next July.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rich H
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

We will be waiting for your return with baited breath.

When one of our customers tells us with such care about a good stay the thought is always to be on the lookout for the next visit to make it even better.

Please let me know about this and be well in the meantime.

Best regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We went here in October of 2012 for our honeymoon. This was THE best place I've ever stayed at EVER. We booked through a travel agent, and everything went according to plan. At check-in, we told the girl we were on our honeymoon, so she upgraded our room and was it EVER fantastic! You definitely get what you pay for. It was such a romantic room. There was a bottle of champagne waiting for us, and there was turndown service every night. There is also a minibar in the room and it is well stocked with brand name liquor, and soda is loaded up into the minifrig. I always felt safe at this place. You get a bracelet to let staff know that you are staying there, and you can use your bracelet to eat free of charge at any of the other Palace Resorts. You can also use their facilities. The food was great, although I wish they would serve authentic Mexican foods there. They seemed to serve more Americanized foods, and we wanted MEXICAN! We were also able to obtain the $1500 resort credit for the both of us (total), so we were able to get couples' massages, manicures, pedicures (no polish for the husband!), and even more excursions. There are several restaurants at the resort, and they are nice, but there's also the buffet, but it's fancy. It doesn't feel like a buffet. At night, they move the buffet out to the patio of the resort, and it's like you're having dinner on the beach. You can hear the ocean, feel the breeze, and there's always music playing. There's an actually "Dinner on the Beach" that costs $300 in resort credits, but it's in the sand. Frankly, I'd prefer the free one. The service was great, staff very friendly, and they remember you! You don't have to tip, BUT we did because they deserved it. One of my favorite things was the bar IN the pool. The pool is huge and is one of those infinity type pools and there is a bar at the end of it. You just ask for whatever you want, and they make it for you, and seem happy to do so. You can drink IN the pool. You can also order food if you're a sun worshipper and don't feel like getting up. They'll bring it to you. The halls smell like lavender...it's a very relaxing place to be. I can't wait to go back, whenever that is! I highly recommend SUN PALACE!

Room Tip: You can see the ocean from all the rooms, just maybe not as much as another one.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank krispy1121
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have stayed at the Sun Palace twice, with another visit booked for this coming November. i should have left reviews long ago, but just now signed up for an account with trip advisor. We love it. From the moment you walk in the door 'til the moment you leave, you are waited on & pampered. The staff are awesome. We have never encountered any of the staff that weren't helpful and friendly. (except the membership sales pitch - that was a nightmare and we will never do that again; the massage was definately not worth listening to the high pressure tactics. we weren't pressured to go to the salespitch, it was just offered as an option, and we should have known better) We love that Sun Palace is adults only. that's why we picked it in the first place. We also like: the size of the facility - you don't have too far to go to get anywhere; how clean it is, rooms and facilities (the man that cleans the beach each morning & rakes up the sea weed does an awesome job); calling the US from our room for free - its nice to be able to make sure everything is alright at home; the beach service staff are awesome too - you can get drinks brought to you, snacks, etc. and they'll even move the umbrellas for you as the sun shifts; we love The Steak restaurant out by the pool area -we usually eat there every evening as they'll grill you most anything you want; room service is quick, and good (try the fried ice cream - it's amazing!); both previous trips we were able to upgrade our room to concierge level using our resort points (were very disappointed to receive email saying this policy has changed, and you can no longer use your points to do that). The entertainment staff try hard, also. Love the show on the beach with the fire dancers. I have wondered why the resort doesn't use a bigger area for the guests dancing (maybe the room the Elvis show is in?) as the dance floor is tiny. My husband says the beer selection is good. What we didn't like: One of the things I wish could be changed is the strawberry margarita mix. The mix doesn't taste good. The bartenders have bent over backwards trying to add things to it for me to make it better, but it just isn't good. (same mix at Moon Palace, evidently, because I ordered one there, too, and same result). We're planning this year to go to the store by bus and just buy strawberry margarita mix if its still bad this year. The cheese dip out by the pool - i ordered chips & cheese dip, and it tasted like that big fake can cheese dip. I was pretty surprised because most food here is excellent. As you can tell, the things we like FAR outweigh the things we don't! Oh, and if your worried because you've heard bad stories about nudity on Mexican beaches, thankfully we have never encountered this at Sun Palace. We also have always felt safe staying here; if we didn't, we most assuredly wouldn't be returning.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank S L C
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for all your viewpoints. They are most important to us.

Next time you come would you please share with me how you'd like the strawberry margarita mix? We have it made in a central commissary for all our hotels and if it can be perfected, we will do so.

You bring up an unique point: Nudity-or at least beach nudity-. Mexican law states that apparel should be in concordance "with good customs" (go figure). Essentially it is very seldom that we have someone go braless-that is the extent of nudity- and since most ladies do not do this, we have to consider this contrary to "general" custom. Especially if it is offensive to someone.

So no...not an issue.

Thank you for your repeat visits. We shall see you in November. As always, a pleasure.

With warmest feelings,

Reviewed 24 August 2014

My wife and I just returned from 9 of the best vacation days ever! Our stay was from 8/15 - 8/23.

This was our first trip to Cancun and based on many great Trip-advisor reviews we chose to celebrate our 20th anniversary at the Sun Palace. All that I can say is we made a GREAT choice! We felt special from the beginning to the end.

It started when we were greeted with a cold towel and a drink the second that we arrived. Then we had the pleasure of working with Erika who did a great job of explaining everything from the resort credits to other questions that we had. We booked a Concierge package which includes several amenities and IMO is well worth it. We also paid $240 upon arrival to upgrade to a larger balcony. Our room was 610 and is was very nice.

Next we had the pleasure of working with Edgar who in all of my travels is one of the best Concierges that I have ever worked with. He helped us schedule several things and answered all of my questions.

FOOD
We had breakfast every morning in the El Alamo. As breakfast goes there is so much to choose from and it was all very good! For lunch we usually just ordered something at the pool and ate in our pool chairs. For dinner we ate at all of the restaurants except for the Italian restaurant (La Tratto). Men have to wear slacks in the La Tratto and I just didn't feel like doing so this trip so we skipped it. We loved the El Alamo, the filet was very good and several days we used our room credits to add lobster tails. The Oriental Lounge was also very good! A few of our servers deserve a special call out... Arturo, Erving, Gustavo, Ricardo and Jussif... Thanks for making every meal special!

ENTERTAINMENT
The pool entertainment was EXCELLENT! Aaron, Eddie, Vanessa, Augustine, Marcelo and Abby did a great job of getting everyone involved and making it fun. We loved the pool time so much that we canceled an excursion that we had planned on Friday so we could spend more time at the pool. As far as evening entertainment, if you are looking for a resort with a lively night club life, this is not the one for you. Since my wife and I are not big partiers we saw this as a positive. The majority of the evening entertainment is centered around the lobby bar and is hosted by the same team mentioned above. There were a couple of karaoke nights which were a blast! Both of the karaoke nights (Tue & Sat) the bar was packed and the crowd had a great time. There were two shows during the week, the Michael Jackson show (this one was pretty lame) and the Fire Show (this one is a must see!) There was also a Chefs dinner (we didn't go so not sure on this one). A couple of nights we all went out and released baby sea turtles into the ocean, that was an awesome experience!

POOL AND BAR WAITER/WAITRESSES
I can use two words to describe this staff... HARD WORKING! Lesli, Mario and Jose D never let our drinks get empty! Thanks for taking great care of us! To give you a comparison, my wife and I went to the Moon Palace to do the Royal Dolphin experience. Afterwards we spent about 45 minutes at their pool and never saw the first waiter.

BEACH
This beach is as beautiful as advertised! During our stay their was a lot of seaweed washing up but the resort staff was up early every morning to bury it so the beach was always beautiful. We got up at 1:30 am one night and went down and watched sea turtles come on shore to bury their eggs.

TIPPING
While this is an all-inclusive resort and tipping is optional, after watching how hard these folks worked I would have felt bad if I didn't tip. We didn't break the bank but we tipped $1 for each drink, $5 for breakfast and $10 for each dinner. We also made sure to tip the entertainment team at the end of the week, they worked very long days to make sure that we all had a great time.

If I have to name a few CONS they would be...
There was a large gap at the bottom of our door so if someone walked through the hall during the night it would wake us. I discovered that if I put a towel down in front of the door to cover the gap it helped with the noise.

The need a bigger selection of things to use the resort credits on. I was disappointed that you can only use $300 at the spa. We didn't even use half of our credits.

Overall this was a great trip! My wife and I are already plotting our next trip back to the Sun Palace!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kelly J
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We absolutely loved visiting the sun palace. We will definitely come back as well as refer others to visit. I loved the in-room Chi products - they smelled amazing. I also thoroughly enjoyed the spa. I had a body scrub and massage and felt so amazingly relaxed afterward. Our favorite restaurant was La Trattoria. The food and service was exceptional. We ate there 4 nights and always had something new and delicious, and stuck to our favorites as well - filet, gelato and tomato and mozzarella. The beach concierge service was outstanding. Silvio was quick to bring us our drinks and made sure we were always filled up, our lips never getting dry! The beach was amazing and we spent every day there. We liked it much better than the pool, as it was more relaxing and just beautiful. Never crowded and never had a problem getting chairs in the morning. We also got room service a few times and they were always courteous and on time, and the food was good as well. The rooms are also amazing. Very modern and simple but that's what makes them so great! We had a junior suite and it had plenty of room and the balcony was a little bigger too. We love the sun palace! The only small suggestion I have is to put another shower head in the shower. It's a large, great size and a second shower head would only add to the greatness!

Room Tip: Room 319 had perfect view of the beach. Amazing views!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jessica W

You know, you got me thinking. Those who are not familiar with Sun Palace do not realize that indeed most of our rooms have very good ocean views. You call a perfect example: 319, a junior suite. While not the highest floor by any means, it affords a very pleasant view. And the room size is very nice.

Your double shower-head will have to wait a couple of years. It is a major undertaking because the building itself is masonry and concrete.

It is always grandiose to receive such good comments. We are so happy when our guests have a good time!

Thank you for your kind feedback. See you soon.

Best wishes,