“Nice Night”

Sun Palace
Ranked #10 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
“Nice Night”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed at the Sun Palace for one night to catch a very early flight. It was a very good experience. The bars were good, the pools were nice even though loungers were hard to find, and the beach guy was very good about getting us set up. We had great beach service and even though the pool we were at had no swim up bar it was close. Our greatest Mexico experience was walking the beach that night and watching a sea turtle lay her eggs, harvesting them in a 5 gal bucket and watching her return to the sea. Two hours of a very holy moment. They upgraded our room to an ocean view, and we took advantage of the hot tub and the view that evening. We were tired after all that so we ordered room service, and it was above average.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Worldtex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,749)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Meriden, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Noisy, cleaning people did not have consideration for anyone that wanted to sleep passed 7am. The beach was beautiful. The food service at the restaurants were slow, ended up using room service more often then not. Being an adults only resort, the people here act more like kids with their drinking and screaming at 3-4am. The only plus was the beach and the location close to cancun nightlife by city bus but far enough were the "spring breakers" will not be present. Some excursions we had to take the local city bus which left us about 1/2 mile away from our stop. This was our honeymoon and I was very glad I stayed at the Playacar Palace for the week before.

Room Tip: The 8th floor is a complete smoking floor, every room smells like cigars and cigarettes.
3 Thank Mr and Mrs P
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
I am sorry. We don't harbor Spring Breakers but sometimes we do get adults in "their second Spring".
We certainly put an end to disruptions when reported.

Normally I would be very concerned about a three point review but given that it is against a sister hotel it doesn't feel that bad.

That's of course my point of view. I do apologize for not having been what you expected. We do try to make a repeat of every guest.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Loved our stay, we had upgraded to junior suite but were pleased we got checked into concierge.
Room was amazing, ocean view and great aircon, its soooooo hot outside!

The food at breakfast and lunch was amazing, Im very picky but there is something for everyone.

We ate at the Italian and were very disappointed as we dressed up for this meal. Food was terrible here, the pizza I had was like a Tesco value one. Menu needs changing, other couples we spoke too also said they didnt enjoy the food.

The outside grill was gorgeous, as was the Mexican and couples meal on an evening.

Entertainment needs sorting as I feel it lets the hotel down, we were in bed early most nights.

The beach is like a postcard view, stunning views. Other reviews state there is no seaweed on the beach but its everywhere but the guys on the beach are constantly burying it as the ocean sweeps it ashore all day.
The current is very powerful! I was planning on snorkeling here but the waves are so strong they make the water cloudy which was a shame.
I felt really sorry for the guys that did the sunbeds as they are there from 6am till 10pm some nights packing the sunbeds away, on several days I got our own sunbeds to help them out, please tip them as they do a great job!
Service on the beach is hit and miss, the first few days it was every 20 minutes you were asked if you wanted a drink, then after a few days it seemed as if they were training new staff and the standard slipped, I tipped £5 straight away if we where going to stay on the beach a few hours, one day I tipped and it then took two hours to get our drinks, we saw the funny side as at least they didnt forget! haha

I was planning on using resort credits for our trips but after speaking to other guests it was better to book them through your agent. Your day is better organised, a lot smaller groups and you get picked up by a small private air conditioned bus, they also make sure your only with other English people.

Use your credits for the spa, wine etc, it may cost more but you get so much more.
On checking out your suppose to get a voucher for the credits you didnt use, we didnt get this, nor did we get asked if we had a nice time, it was quick thank you and goodbye.
As we were treated so well for the stay I think the goodbye could be a lot better especially at concierge level.

We swam with whale sharks, dolphins, sharks, manatees, went to coco bongos and did the Adventure day out which was awesome.

The maids do such a good job and can come into your room upto 4 times per day which is great however some just knock and come in, so if your naked then they see everything, we started using the chain after a while haha

Its so hot there so take plenty of factor 50!

Our holiday was amazing, we would love to stay again once we have been to other countries, you are treated so well, just tip everyone now and then as all the staff deserve it. Just a few little bad points if you can call them that, Im just honest. The one thing I didnt like was the loud Americans, having served with them in Afghanistan I know what they are like, however we had to be re-seated on an evening meal as they were being so loud, and I dont like how arrogant and rude they can be to staff, no bearing on the hotel, I just hate people who are rude.

We will have to spend a lot of money for a holiday like this in other countries and this holiday will be hard to beat, we will be back in the coming years.

Room Tip: If you dont like loud Americans then dont stay here Take small currency for tipping Dont forget th...
2 Thank ross b
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We celebrated our honeymoon at Sun Palace for 2 weeks. Honestly I could not fault it and my wife and i are so happy we chose SP as our honeymoon destination. The staff in all areas of the hotel were always obliging, kind, approachable, helpful and smiling. Unbelievable service which is highly commendable. What a professional team! Particular props to Christy, Vanessa, Edel, Marcelo, Cruz, Agustin and Marvin! You guys were awesome and made us feel at home. The room was a Junior Suite and was very sizeable, kept immaculate by housekeeping and retained a beautiful view of the sea. The service in Tratto was amazing, thanks Marvin. We enjoyed the selection of fruits and the omelette/pancake service at breakfast. I enjoyed volleyball on the beach. Everything in the spa was fantastic. Full marks from me! We will definitely be returning next July.

3 Thank Rich H
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
We will be waiting for your return with baited breath.

When one of our customers tells us with such care about a good stay the thought is always to be on the lookout for the next visit to make it even better.

Please let me know about this and be well in the meantime.

Best regards,

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We went here in October of 2012 for our honeymoon. This was THE best place I've ever stayed at EVER. We booked through a travel agent, and everything went according to plan. At check-in, we told the girl we were on our honeymoon, so she upgraded our room and was it EVER fantastic! You definitely get what you pay for. It was such a romantic room. There was a bottle of champagne waiting for us, and there was turndown service every night. There is also a minibar in the room and it is well stocked with brand name liquor, and soda is loaded up into the minifrig. I always felt safe at this place. You get a bracelet to let staff know that you are staying there, and you can use your bracelet to eat free of charge at any of the other Palace Resorts. You can also use their facilities. The food was great, although I wish they would serve authentic Mexican foods there. They seemed to serve more Americanized foods, and we wanted MEXICAN! We were also able to obtain the $1500 resort credit for the both of us (total), so we were able to get couples' massages, manicures, pedicures (no polish for the husband!), and even more excursions. There are several restaurants at the resort, and they are nice, but there's also the buffet, but it's fancy. It doesn't feel like a buffet. At night, they move the buffet out to the patio of the resort, and it's like you're having dinner on the beach. You can hear the ocean, feel the breeze, and there's always music playing. There's an actually "Dinner on the Beach" that costs $300 in resort credits, but it's in the sand. Frankly, I'd prefer the free one. The service was great, staff very friendly, and they remember you! You don't have to tip, BUT we did because they deserved it. One of my favorite things was the bar IN the pool. The pool is huge and is one of those infinity type pools and there is a bar at the end of it. You just ask for whatever you want, and they make it for you, and seem happy to do so. You can drink IN the pool. You can also order food if you're a sun worshipper and don't feel like getting up. They'll bring it to you. The halls smell like lavender...it's a very relaxing place to be. I can't wait to go back, whenever that is! I highly recommend SUN PALACE!

Room Tip: You can see the ocean from all the rooms, just maybe not as much as another one.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 807kristyp
United States
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have stayed at the Sun Palace twice, with another visit booked for this coming November. i should have left reviews long ago, but just now signed up for an account with trip advisor. We love it. From the moment you walk in the door 'til the moment you leave, you are waited on & pampered. The staff are awesome. We have never encountered any of the staff that weren't helpful and friendly. (except the membership sales pitch - that was a nightmare and we will never do that again; the massage was definately not worth listening to the high pressure tactics. we weren't pressured to go to the salespitch, it was just offered as an option, and we should have known better) We love that Sun Palace is adults only. that's why we picked it in the first place. We also like: the size of the facility - you don't have too far to go to get anywhere; how clean it is, rooms and facilities (the man that cleans the beach each morning & rakes up the sea weed does an awesome job); calling the US from our room for free - its nice to be able to make sure everything is alright at home; the beach service staff are awesome too - you can get drinks brought to you, snacks, etc. and they'll even move the umbrellas for you as the sun shifts; we love The Steak restaurant out by the pool area -we usually eat there every evening as they'll grill you most anything you want; room service is quick, and good (try the fried ice cream - it's amazing!); both previous trips we were able to upgrade our room to concierge level using our resort points (were very disappointed to receive email saying this policy has changed, and you can no longer use your points to do that). The entertainment staff try hard, also. Love the show on the beach with the fire dancers. I have wondered why the resort doesn't use a bigger area for the guests dancing (maybe the room the Elvis show is in?) as the dance floor is tiny. My husband says the beer selection is good. What we didn't like: One of the things I wish could be changed is the strawberry margarita mix. The mix doesn't taste good. The bartenders have bent over backwards trying to add things to it for me to make it better, but it just isn't good. (same mix at Moon Palace, evidently, because I ordered one there, too, and same result). We're planning this year to go to the store by bus and just buy strawberry margarita mix if its still bad this year. The cheese dip out by the pool - i ordered chips & cheese dip, and it tasted like that big fake can cheese dip. I was pretty surprised because most food here is excellent. As you can tell, the things we like FAR outweigh the things we don't! Oh, and if your worried because you've heard bad stories about nudity on Mexican beaches, thankfully we have never encountered this at Sun Palace. We also have always felt safe staying here; if we didn't, we most assuredly wouldn't be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank S L C
Thank you for all your viewpoints. They are most important to us.

Next time you come would you please share with me how you'd like the strawberry margarita mix? We have it made in a central commissary for all our hotels and if it can be perfected, we will do so.

You bring up an unique point: Nudity-or at least beach nudity-. Mexican law states that apparel should be in concordance "with good customs" (go figure). Essentially it is very seldom that we have someone go braless-that is the extent of nudity- and since most ladies do not do this, we have to consider this contrary to "general" custom. Especially if it is offensive to someone.

So no...not an issue.

Thank you for your repeat visits. We shall see you in November. As always, a pleasure.

With warmest feelings,

Villa Rica, Georgia
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just returned from 9 of the best vacation days ever! Our stay was from 8/15 - 8/23.

This was our first trip to Cancun and based on many great Trip-advisor reviews we chose to celebrate our 20th anniversary at the Sun Palace. All that I can say is we made a GREAT choice! We felt special from the beginning to the end.

It started when we were greeted with a cold towel and a drink the second that we arrived. Then we had the pleasure of working with Erika who did a great job of explaining everything from the resort credits to other questions that we had. We booked a Concierge package which includes several amenities and IMO is well worth it. We also paid $240 upon arrival to upgrade to a larger balcony. Our room was 610 and is was very nice.

Next we had the pleasure of working with Edgar who in all of my travels is one of the best Concierges that I have ever worked with. He helped us schedule several things and answered all of my questions.

FOOD
We had breakfast every morning in the El Alamo. As breakfast goes there is so much to choose from and it was all very good! For lunch we usually just ordered something at the pool and ate in our pool chairs. For dinner we ate at all of the restaurants except for the Italian restaurant (La Tratto). Men have to wear slacks in the La Tratto and I just didn't feel like doing so this trip so we skipped it. We loved the El Alamo, the filet was very good and several days we used our room credits to add lobster tails. The Oriental Lounge was also very good! A few of our servers deserve a special call out... Arturo, Erving, Gustavo, Ricardo and Jussif... Thanks for making every meal special!

ENTERTAINMENT
The pool entertainment was EXCELLENT! Aaron, Eddie, Vanessa, Augustine, Marcelo and Abby did a great job of getting everyone involved and making it fun. We loved the pool time so much that we canceled an excursion that we had planned on Friday so we could spend more time at the pool. As far as evening entertainment, if you are looking for a resort with a lively night club life, this is not the one for you. Since my wife and I are not big partiers we saw this as a positive. The majority of the evening entertainment is centered around the lobby bar and is hosted by the same team mentioned above. There were a couple of karaoke nights which were a blast! Both of the karaoke nights (Tue & Sat) the bar was packed and the crowd had a great time. There were two shows during the week, the Michael Jackson show (this one was pretty lame) and the Fire Show (this one is a must see!) There was also a Chefs dinner (we didn't go so not sure on this one). A couple of nights we all went out and released baby sea turtles into the ocean, that was an awesome experience!

POOL AND BAR WAITER/WAITRESSES
I can use two words to describe this staff... HARD WORKING! Lesli, Mario and Jose D never let our drinks get empty! Thanks for taking great care of us! To give you a comparison, my wife and I went to the Moon Palace to do the Royal Dolphin experience. Afterwards we spent about 45 minutes at their pool and never saw the first waiter.

BEACH
This beach is as beautiful as advertised! During our stay their was a lot of seaweed washing up but the resort staff was up early every morning to bury it so the beach was always beautiful. We got up at 1:30 am one night and went down and watched sea turtles come on shore to bury their eggs.

TIPPING
While this is an all-inclusive resort and tipping is optional, after watching how hard these folks worked I would have felt bad if I didn't tip. We didn't break the bank but we tipped $1 for each drink, $5 for breakfast and $10 for each dinner. We also made sure to tip the entertainment team at the end of the week, they worked very long days to make sure that we all had a great time.

If I have to name a few CONS they would be...
There was a large gap at the bottom of our door so if someone walked through the hall during the night it would wake us. I discovered that if I put a towel down in front of the door to cover the gap it helped with the noise.

The need a bigger selection of things to use the resort credits on. I was disappointed that you can only use $300 at the spa. We didn't even use half of our credits.

Overall this was a great trip! My wife and I are already plotting our next trip back to the Sun Palace!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple