“We only had a week!”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I can honestly report that I could not find anything negative to say about the Sun Palace. The food was great, the facilities were great, the rooms were spectacular and the service was way above par for any vacation I've gone on. The location was excellent, close to the airport and the bus stops right outside the hotel, going down the tourist zone to take you to many shopping areas, restaurants, clubs and to 2 other Palace Hotels, the Beach Palace and the Cancun Palace. We did spend time at the Beach Palace and it was very nice too with the 2 pools and hot tubs on the 14th floor, great views! We ate lunch there and it was very good.

The concierge service at the Sun Palace was outstanding with most of our dealings done with Alejandro. The activities were a blast with Alma. Raul, the Best bartender ever, having your drink ready even before you get close to him! The beach waitress was always there before you needed her. Since I was still recovering from foot surgery, the side tours had to wait for the next time and there will be a next time. The weather was a little iffy, but no problem to work around. We found the restaurants to serve tasty foods and even tried some things we never would have thought to try before. We used all of our $1500 credit on the upgrade, spa, special anniversary dinner and photos.

A bargain at the price we paid and a fabulous way to escape the cold long winter!

2  Thank pathbunny

Reviewed 17 February 2011

Let me start by saying we stayed 2 weeks in Cancun
1st week at ME Melia then Sun Palace.

Sun Palace is a smaller hotel (which is better in my opinion) Adults only unlike the Me where I saw kids running everywhere. The patrons at the Sun Palace is an older crowd.
At the Me you will have more Eye Candy :-)

Check in at the Sun was a bit Slow. It took us 20 minutes to check-in . (there was only one person working the front desk)

Upon our check in we were told about the 1500$ in hotel points. We upgraded our room

Room: The rooms are Spacious, clean with a nice balcony (unlike the Me; No balcony) with our upgrade we got an Ipod Dock a DVD Player (came in Handy) The Fridge was full of drinks and we had a bar in the room. (the me you had to pay for your booze)

POOL: The HEATED infinity pool was amazing. (@ the ME the pool was FROZEN)
We played Mexican Water Volleyball (a shout out to Alma and Vanessa you girls Rock)

FOOD: The food was Great We ate at the buffet most of the time. Tried the Lasagna at the Italian Rest. not that great, very dry and it barely had any sauce.
The Asian Rest. was Great Loved the soups.
Cheers to Marysol at the buffet.

SERVICE: I own a hair salon and I'm very picky when it comes to Customer service. The Staff at the Sun Palace went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. Always with a smile. By the third day I was greeted by my name. The staff work long hours; tipping goes a long way.

With my Hotel Credit I booked a massage. Body exfoliation and Deep tissue Massage.
NOTE: I booked the same package at the ME hotel. In this department the Sun Palace Fell short.
1- I requested a male ..... I got a female
2- Deep tissue felt like a relaxing massage
3- Body exfoliation (wasn't thorough)

After a long day of Shopping we decided to check Cancun Palace.
Much bigger Hotel, Family Oriented. (you have to check the Pool on the Roof top AMAZING)

1  Thank Romeros
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Sun Palace, much smaller and more intimate than Cancún Palace or Moon Palace, was very enjoyable. The staff bent over backwards to meet every need. Food was very good and I was amazed at the quality of liquor in the bars. Weather finally got warm enough to warm the pool water. Always enough lounge chairs for everyone. Raul at one of the pool bars was magnífico, making great mixed drinks.
Limited number of restaurants, but no reservations necessary.
I heard that staff got 30 minutes of English instruction daily to go with their two meals a day.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveling paul
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I went on a trip with my husband, mom and step-dad. This was our 3rd time to Cancun, but my mom and step-dad's first. We all had a blast. The hotel was very nice, luxurious and accommodating. Anything we needed or wanted they made happen. The food was great, the atmosphere was great and there were lots of activities. We will always stay at Palace Resorts when we return to Cancun. The rooms were excellent! That was the best to have a large, nice, comfy bed and a jacuzzi in the room! The only downfall for me was the last time I was in Cancun I was able to get a massage on the beach and that was heaven. If this hotel had massages on the beach I would never go to any other hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blue48bunny
Reviewed 13 February 2011

From the moment we arrived, we were taken care of in high style. Yes, like many all-inclusive vacation properties in the area, they would like you to spend a couple hours touring their property in hopes that you will buy a future package from them, but that is certainly optional. If you are sure that is not what you want to do, just be ready to explain that when you first arrive, or go ahead and check it out - it's your call.

The lobby sets the stage for the rest of the property - sleek, clean, and polished, and just steps beyond the lobby you will be on the the white sand beach, toes in the azure blue ocean, just beyond the infinity pools. Rough life!

Cushioned beach and pool lounges, 'round the clock beverage service, poolside food and snacks, plenty of shade umbrellas, and an abundance of lounging options exist in the outdoor pubic spaces.

The sleeping rooms are spacious, clean, and filled with every amenity you can think of. The bed was comfy, sheets soft, plenty of pillows, and the air-conditioner ran quietly. We certainly appreciated each of these things. Room service meals can be ordered or arranged for any time, and we especially enjoyed our coffee and breakfast service served by the lovely Victoria, each morning.

Our room included a lovely double lounge and settee on the private deck, which we enjoyed as we chose to relax and watch the sunrises and sunsets - each a blessing to witness.

We did not venture off property, except to spend some pool time, and to dine out at both the Cancun Palace and Beach Palace which are both a quick taxi ride away ($10). (When staying at a Palace property, you are free to spend the day at any of their other properties as well.) This added variety without having to make any real big decisions each day. We were there to relax and unwind, sightseeing was not on the agenda for this trip. It might be good to know that the ocean currents just off the beach were strong, and therefore red-flagged up and down the beach strip. This maybe because of the season, but it is good to know, in case you are expecting to spend time swimming or boogie-boarding. You are better off swimming in the pool and walking the beaches.

We are foodies, and yes, after the fifth day - we were ready to enjoy a different selection of offerings, but really - the food at each restaurant was attractively presented and tasty. Not five star, but certainly 3.5-4 star and it is ready and waiting for you at anytime, and should you request wine, the entire bottle is sent to your table.

Note: We had some reservations about going to Mexico, as the media continues to stress the potential dangers, but our trip took place without any reason for concern or sense of danger. We did stay on the hotel strip, but as far as we could tell it was as safe as most any place else. We did not see or hear of anything to be concerned about.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank marcii
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Exceeded our expectations in every regard! The Palace Resorts are always above average All-Inclusives, but the Adults-Only Sun Palace at the southern end of the Zona Hoteles in Cancun is exceptional. A most gracious and extra-attentive staff - every request, no matter how minor, is met with "It's my pleasure" - made our stay even more luxurious and comforting than expected. Four terrific restaurants offered varied dining xperiences, although our favorite was La Steak - with lovely fish entrees despite the name - where we dined on the pool level overlooking the beach almost every night. Wonderful, fruit-filled buffets each morning, with any omelette you could conjur, were a special treat on the outdoor veranda. Staffers roamed the Caribbean beach all day bringing us drinks and snacks. Our 6th floor jacuzzi-equipped room, with its private and beautiful view, was a great spot for our afternoon and after-beach siestas!
The unfortunate situation of other parts of Mexico is no where evident in Cancun, or the Riviera Maya. A 3.5 hours flight from New York, home of ice and snow, simply adds to the appeal of this easy to reach destination. Mid Feb temps in the 70s and 80s more than make up for the few rain showers. Local shopping at Plaza Famingo or Mercado 28 are musts. If you visit the former do NOT pass up lunch at Habeneros across the stret. Local Yucatan cuisine at the phenominal price of $8 for two was one of our surrpises.
Sun Palace is 20 minutes from the cancun airport and less than a half hour from major attractions like zip-lining, doplphin swims, horseback riding, hiking, kayaking, etc. Tulum is 2 hours away, Chichen Itza maybe 3, but both at least one per trip is worthwhile. This is a can't miss spot!

1  Thank rgeffken
Reviewed 11 February 2011

The Sun Palace was the first place we stayed at during our week-long tour of Quintana Roo. There is a reason it is rated #3 of all hotels in the area. We could not have chosen a more delightful place to begin our vacation; it is relatively close to the airport, so you can enjoy the sun and sand quickly after arriving. Couples-only resort, which is perfect for people who don't want their vacations compromised by other traveler's children. The only drawback for people seeking a "real Mexican experience" is that it has very modern decor, but that's just personal preference.

Hotel: This all-inclusive hotel is on the smaller side, but with good amenities and top notch service. Plus, if you feel like you need more, you can check out the other resorts. We didn't leave (aside from our Selvatica day trip - fun!), we just enjoyed being cocooned and pampered at the Sun Palace. Cocktail, cold wet wipe and flower upon arrival. We stayed 3 nights and used the $750 resort credit to upgrade to concierge (recommended) and as partial spa credits. They do a brief timeshare pitch, just say no thanks and they will leave you alone. The gym there is sufficient for burning off the extra calories as well.

Room: 314, oceanview room. No waiting, had it ready upon check-in. Part of the bonus of visiting during a slower time. One of the best rooms we have ever stayed in, anywhere (and we like our luxury at times). As we upgraded, the bath products were great, room service good & prompt, nice to have in-room premium liquor cabinet as well as fridge with cold drinks. Even had a chilled bottle of sparkling wine and fresh fruit waiting for us one evening. Jacuzzi tub in room is HUGE! Bed was fantastic, as good as the one we have at home (I have Princess and the Pea complex when it comes to sleep, especially away from home, and between the white noise of the air conditioner and the bed, I slept like a baby every night).

Service: first rate, really the best we've had. If this is important to you, you will not be disappointed. These hardworking people were extremely courteous, to the point of being indulgent and making us feel totally welcome and truly important. We made sure to tip well and often, and I advise people to do the same. Yes, it is all inclusive, but if there is one way to make a difference in the lives of the average (underpaid) worker at these resorts, it is to show them some real appreciation; the resort owners get the lion's share of the money paid at booking, so be a considerate guest and help increase the daily wage of these hard working people who do so much to facilitate a lovely stay, it is extremely well deserved. Bottom line, if you can afford this place, you can also afford to set aside a handful of 20 and 50 peso notes to thank the workers. In our case, it meant the serving staff usually remembered what we were drinking and brought us refills before our glasses emptied, although I did see them provide good service to people who were not tipping. Our favorite staff were the beautiful and vivacious Vanessa at the activity pool; Roger, who serves drinks on the beach and who introduced us to the resident iguana couple who live in the big rock; and the bartender from Veracruz (who works at the activity pool, name starts with H) who told us some interesting local anecdotes and served us absolutely delicious shots called Tornados, although everyone who works there deserve props. Compared to the other all-inclusive we stayed at (Barcelo Palace - more expensive and not as good) these people seem positively happy to be working where they are.

Pools/Ocean: Water can be a bit rough at times, but swimming in the Caribbean was fantastic. Mostly sandy, well groomed beach, great to go for a morning or evening walk along the beach with a nice fruity drink from the bar. Bonus - the quiet pool is heated to the perfect temperature! Perfect for an after-ocean dip and enjoying the view with a drink in hand.

Food/Drink: All good. Funny enough, I almost have to say I enjoyed the breakfast and lunch buffet the most, good size, well-run and a good balance of fresh virtue and deep fried vice foods. I usually like sweet breakfast, but I couldn't get enough of the to-order tostadas! Steak restaurant set up outside was great, hubby's steak was better than mine, but overall I just liked the novelty of eating outside at night in January. The Italian wasn't really authentic, and the steak there was fantastic and cooked perfectly to order. Also had a delicious and unique asparagus and watermelon pairing that I'm adding to my own recipe list.

Spa: First, had a 25 minute massage and steam room, part of concierge upgrade. Then booked 55 minute massages with partial credit as well. Clean facilities, good massages, relaxing rather than therapeutic, not the best or the worst I've had in my day.

All in all, a memorable experience with absolutely no negative comments at all. If you are looking for the ideal decompression party for two, this is the place. Value for dollar, I thought it was a bargain, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple