“Sadly, falls short of being a 5 star...”
Review of Beach Palace

Beach Palace
Ranked #13 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Sadly, falls short of being a 5 star...”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Beach Palace is a beautiful hotel which should be a 5-star based on the potential (and the price) but it falls just short. I still had a nice time, but there are some things that management needs to work to fix to improve their guests’ overall experience and keep up with other area resorts. I’ve seen Luis’s previous comments on Trip Advisor on people’s suggestions, such as putting tables and chairs at the Sky Bar, and making sure that people get a schedule of activities when they check in…neither were done when I was there. Management and supervisors were very visible at the other Palace resorts…I only saw one supervisor the whole time that we were there.

We had a beautiful room on the lagoon side…nice comfortable lounger on the deck, gorgeous view. A little noisy from the road if on deck, but would love the same room in the future … it is a great private spot for late afternoon sun.

Housekeeping a little sporadic. Sometimes, didn’t get hand towels. One time I saw housekeeping in the hall and all that she could spare was 1 hand towel. Sometimes, towels were a bit threadbare for this level resort. Sometimes we got turndown service, sometimes we didn’t. We didn’t get minibar replenishment until I called.

Pool: hard to get chairs…lots of chair savers….I don’t know what time people put their towels out, but there was rarely a chair available at about 9:30am and yet there was hardly anyone sitting on them. Also, the chairs were the worse among the resorts that we stayed at this winter. My husband who weighs 175 pounds sat in one of them and broke it (it was probably already cracked, because there were a few others that we saw that were cracked)

Entertainment staff: very nice on a personal level, but missing leadership, organization and direction. Although activities are scheduled, sometimes they are not held. The entertainment staff was often nowhere to be found. I read a number of reviews on trip advisor… I didn’t see many complimenting the entertainment staff. I spent the winter at various resorts in Cancun, and Beach Palace had the worst “execution” of the activities by far. The only exception was Chris, the yoga and zumba instructor who is excellent!

Security: there was one time after a pool volleyball game when 3 guys (who had been drinking lots) started playing volleyball over the large pool area (not over the net), with huge, but uncontrolled, serves and hits…well they kept hitting near various people in their chairs. After my sister and others around us were almost hit, my husband took the ball away from them. He was convinced that they would stop, so he gave the ball back to them. Well they started hitting near people in their chairs again, so I went to the bar to call for security. It took at least 15 minutes before security came, after even more people got hit. There was no entertainment staff around to help. Luckily, one of the 3 guys came to his senses and stopped just before security got there.

Restaurants: In general, the food service was VERY well managed. We only saw a supervisor once, but everything ran perfectly thanks to very hard working & excellent staff. At the buffet, we also saw staff measuring to make sure that the food was hot enough, which we all appreciated.

The Italian restaurant was excellent!! We went there 4 times in a week and Juan & Ephinado were truly superb waiters. Ivan was an excellent assistant. The menu was excellent having many, many choices. They did a super job on the Mayan coffee as well.

I wish that the Mexican restaurant was not a buffet… it would have been nice to order a la carte there. It was strange to be in Mexico but not eat at the Mexican restaurant at the resort.

Once after having dinner in the Asian restaurant, we did stop at the Mexican Buffet to have dessert, and we were warmly greeted and waited on by Miguel. He mentioned that he used to work in the steak restaurant which was outside. We had tried to go there a couple of times but it was breezy both times. He said that he would ask his manager if we could order from the steak menu, but eat inside the Mexican restaurant which we ended up doing the following night. The food was delicious (ordered the T-Bone & shrimp), and the service by Miguel was absolutely perfect. (note to management, Miguel should be promoted…he is that good!)

The breakfast buffet and lunch buffet were very good. At lunch time, I missed the grilled shrimp that Sun Palace had the previous year; other Palace resorts would often have shrimp some number of times at lunch. Perhaps it is cost-cutting, but it is a nice treat to have at a 5 star.

At the pool at lunch, there is a grill with hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken & steak. Shout out to Javier who works hard at the grill in the very hot conditions. Please remember if you can, to tip him as well.

The wait staff serving drinks at the pool are all excellent and work very hard! Although everyone was helpful, Celia was so very sweet, anticipating our needs…keeping us hydrated with water (and some alcoholic drinks as well), and bringing us the drink of the day. It was very sad for me to say goodbye to a very sweet and attentive Celia.

Last but not least, Yair who hands out the towels is a sweetheart! He is extremely hard working, always doing something. Loved seeing his smiling face every day!!

6 Thank KCLBoston
Luis O, General Manager at Beach Palace, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear KCLBoston:
I am really working hardo on getting the right furniture for the sky bar, some times is hard to do things as fast as you can, I think good things takes time.
But thank you very much for all the things you mention, you give a lot of things to work about.
I hope you can choose us back in the future, I would love to shake your hand and meet you.

Thanks again!!

Luis Ojeda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,753)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Edmonton
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed here from Mar 23-27, 2014 - Just a quick getaway. My husband and I travelled with my sister and her friend. We stayed on the Lagoon side and it was very quiet except the doors do slam quite hard. The room is well laid out but the beds are very hard. I felt like dragging in the bed mattress from outside and using it as a topper. The pool area is quite small and there is not that many chairs. We are pool people when we travel with our 2 kids so I'm not sure that I would like that. Since we did not have the kids we were beach people. The beach is FANTASTIC! Clear blue water, soft sand, plenty of chairs. And one of the best things is they have someone who will place an umbrella by your chair if you ask. No shortage of shade. The Umbrella's do run out but, if you get to the beach before 1200 we never had a problem. This is something none of the other hotels we stayed at did and I think they should take note!!! The weather was great and a couple of days were quite windy which made the ocean quite wavy. The life guards were always on duty and watching. I think they did a great job. Not many vendors on the beach either. The drink service was very good at the beach too. I did use some resort credits on a massage at the spa and it was one of the best ones I’ve had. We ate mostly at the Buffet but did try the Italian and Japanese both were very good. The Buffet was wonderful and always had something to eat. We were planning a trip for a large amount of family and I’m not sure if we stayed 7 days if there is enough variety in restaurants. The location is great. A cheap $9.50 peso bus ride will get you anywhere you need to go.
Summary – Beach, service, location, amenities were great. Would I return with a large group probably not. Would I return for another couples getaway yes - or with my kids – probably not.

Luis O, General Manager at Beach Palace, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Carris L:
Thank You Very Much for your review and omments about your vacation with us.
I have important information that you are providing me, so I can make things better at the Beach Palace.

Thanks Again!!

beeme1a
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We just got back from a week's stay at the Beach Palace. We're Elite members and have stayed at Palace resorts for the past 5 years. Our week at the Beach Palace was most enjoyable, and relaxing. Our vacation at the Beach Palace in my opinion would rank an 8 out of 10, 10 being the best. The staff were very accommodating, special thanks to Carolina and Francisco at the Sports bar, Luis at the poll bar, and Hermelinda and Manual at the Sky Bar. Sounds like we spent most our time at the Bars, but not so, my special gratitude to Gabrielle the grill cook at the morning Tequila Restaurant, her service was unmatched. I also highly recommend the Wok Asian restaurant, unfortunately, I don't recall the waiter's name but can say the service was perfect. And finally, my sincere gratitude to Jose at the main check in desk, he help us get our room changed to an ocean view,

I didn't give the Beach Palace a 10, because I've not stayed at the La Blance yet, but hope to in the future.

1 Thank beeme1a
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Just returned from a week long vacation and I am ready to go back! We have made a habit of taking large Spring Break vacations with the family and have been to Moon Palace, Hard Rock Cancun(when it was still a palace resort) and Hard Rock in Punta Cana during our travels. We were looking for a better beach, but something not as crowded as HR Cancun. We have not been to the other couple only locations, but you will not be disappointed in the beach if that is what you are looking for in this location. The beach was never crowded, plenty of lounge chairs and plenty of soft white sand. You should be aware that the water is a little rough for children <10 or those not confident in swimming. They will easily be able to wade in the water, but you do just as much tumbling as swimming. It's not much different than the beach at HR in Punta Cana...beautiful beaches for the sand and sun, with great pools for relaxed swimming.
The surprise we enjoyed the most was the size and intimacy, even during Spring Break. We experienced the best service and never had a problem waiting or with overcrowded pools, etc. The staff was very helpful, other than being a little slow upon our arrival. With large groups, I would recommend earlier dinners 6-7:30pm if you want to sit together with large groups. We never waited for longer than 15 min except the one night we ate at 8pm and had to wait 40 minutes for two tables of 8.
The only downsides (minor ones) were the number of activities(not including the kids club - that the kids begged to go to everyday) and slow elevators. The elevators were probably a pet peeve of mine because I never understood why they moved so slow, but it was the only thing I wish they could fix. As for the activities, you just need to understand there is a tradeoff with this resort vs some of the larger resorts. We resolved this by traveling to the other resorts for a few dinners (city bus goes up and down the strip for $1) and spending most of our time doing things outside of the hotel and the standard tours(been there done that already). As long as you realize you will need to get outside of this hotel if you are looking for a lot of hustle and bustle or partying than you are fine. We found exactly what we were looking for...beach, smaller environment, laid back atmosphere for the entire family. If you like partying or young adult crowds this may not be the place for you. If you are looking for a great all inclusive resort, or a palace member looking for a different experience for your family, you won't be disappointed. We'll be making another visit...

Room Tip: Views are good on both ocean and lagoon sides. Ocean view rooms are great but there is some noise fr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Troy T
Luis O, General Manager at Beach Palace, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Troy T:
Thank you very much for your great comments, I am very happy to see that you enjoyed our beach, I have always said that when people think about Cancun, the first thing that comes to their minds is blue water and white sandy beaches, I think Beach Palace is the perfect example of the Cancun Vacation!!
I am already working on the elevator issue, it will be fixed soon.

Thanks again!!

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We booked this hotel through our RCI membership. We specifically asked for a 2 bedroom, Private room because we were traveling with a teenager. When we arrived, Even though through our Timeshare company (RCI) we were assured we will receive what we paid for, we ended in a Double room with a whirlpool. Basically It wasn't what we expected. We complained about that, they called RCI, Long story short, they were full and we had to stay in that room. We weren't totally comfortable.
Other thing is the towels... Either no towels or not the complete set. It seems that management doesn't provide complete stock on them. (I have to say it was a busy week, but if you are a big facility you have to be prepared!)
Other thing is the annoying persecution from resort promoters asking you if you received you welcome package and the invitation to resort meetings. (Again, I understand is their job, but it becomes annoying to be asked if you are going to the meetings 3 days in a row)
The gym looks amazing in the website. In reality, is a very small area on the top of the building with 2 treadmills, 2 elliptical, 2 bikes (not spin type) a machine in one corner that has a limited space to workout.
Now the good things!!
AMAZING FOOD, A lot of options, Healthy food included, The tequila restaurant has an OUTSTANDING staff! ready to please you in every way!.
I have not enough words to describe the professionalism of the staff members! They are there for you!
They will assist you with your bookings for attractions.
Great Beach and Pool area with restaurants outside, GREAT SERVICE!!!! No Complains
Limited to 0 options for non motorized water sports. Only Jet sky for $60 for 30 minutes.
The $1,500 resort credit allows you to use different services. We booked a couples citrus massage that was exceptional. The romantic Dinner was for the lack of words EXCELLENT!!!
Overall the hotel was great, but it is not for us. Next time we will try either the Moon Palace or the new Mayan Palace. Good place for families with small kids, College students, Seniors.

Room Tip: Sea side rooms are always better.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Luis O, General Manager at Beach Palace, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Herfrank1:
Thank You Very Much for your great review, you give me a lot of points that I have to work with several departments, but in the end, I can see that we provide you with a great vacation.
I want to thank you also for the great pictures you post, they are amazing!!

Thanks Again...

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Trip advisor is very important for all the hotels in Cancun. When I was asked why I had picked this hotel and I said I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor it was pointed out to me that Palace resorts have 3 hotels in the top 10, including number 1 and the largest resort in the area which is just outside the top 10.
The reason I picked the hotel was that we had stayed down the coast last September when the weather was very wet and I wanted to give Mexico another go, to try a busier area with a decent beach and the hotel was reasonably priced, cheap if you take out the airfares.
The staff get points if they mentioned so here are the ones whose names I can remember:Nicholas; Saarain; Victor;Miguel;Jessica;Gabriella;Defina and Juan Jose in the Italian.
Sorry to all the others I talked to or who served us. Just as before in Mexico, the standard of the waiters and all the other staff in hotel was great. They really made you feel special , as of course we were as we had come from England! There were guests there from South America, all over the U.S. and Canada, as well as Mexico and lots of children who were in general very well behaved. We did see a few drunks but they weren't any trouble.
I had emailed the hotel and asked for a high floor and a quiet room ( we paid extra for sea view)
What we got was 3rd floor, out of 12 and a room right in the middle of the hotel by the lifts.
I now think that it is becoming a waste of time to email hotels.
The room was large with 2 wash basins, a huge bath and a very large comfortable bed. The tv even had BBC world and all the hotel had wi-fi at no extra charge.A bottle of nice red wine, a fridge with beer and soft drinks and 4 bottles of spirits. If you wanted "top shelf" stuff you had to get it from the sports bar, where the drinks I wanted, brandy and decent scotch whisky, were only available by ladder!
The main pool area was occupied fully by about 7.30 each day but you could go up to the roof top where it was always quiet in the mornings and after sundown. And there were plenty of sunbeds on the beach.
I still haven't got my head around the $US 2400 credit we were given. We used some of it to go on a trip to Tulum and for different wines in the restaurants, though the house wines were very good for all inclusive.
We had a great holiday, it only rained once the people we met in Cancun were really nice, we didn't see any drugs or violence, the beach is fantastic, miles of soft white sand and never seemed too crowded.
So why not for us:
1 It is too long a flight, we were on the plane from Manchester for 12 hours coming;
2 We prefer couples hotels: we did go to look at the Sun Palace and might consider that one going forward.
3Buses were provided for people from the Moon Palace and vice versa so sometimes at lunchtime there were great queues ( line-ups) for the only restaurant. One day day a fellow guest counted 7 buses;
4 The food and booze were too good and I put on half a stone (3kg or 7 lbs!)

I would give this hotel 4 and half stars. In Mexico the star rating are not available on trip advisor, they are blacked out!

Room Tip: If coming from UK it might be cheaper to wait until you get to hotel to get an upgrade as they are c...
Luis O, General Manager at Beach Palace, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear veryoldal:
Thank you very much for your review, I am very happy to see that even that you mention this resort is not for you, you had a great vacation with us.
I hope that if you decide to come over again to Cancun, you can send me a message on advance, you will see that e mailing hotels is not a waste of time.
Thank you also, for mentioning all the staff members that gave you a good service, I will personally thank them also.

Thanks Again!!

Arlington Heights, IL
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We are a family of four (one teen son, one teen daughter) This was our first trip to Cancun and to the Beach Palace. We were greeted upon arrival with a glass of melon/mint water which was refreshing. The front desk gal (sorry, we didn't get her name) was very pleasant and accommodating. We reserved a resort view room to save some money. We didn't mind. It was a clean room and it was on the first floor. We could see the lagoon and the sunsets from our room. Granted, at night, from our room, we could hear a little bass thumping from the band or music from the floor below which was the Mezzanine level and it was the Sports bar. It didn't go on too late. We spent nearly every evening in the Sport bar catching up on sports scores, etc... And, our men played some pool. We stayed to listen to the band one night and the karaoke and we'd enjoy a night cap. It was quite fun. Next time, I'd spend a little more and get a higher floor and possibly the ocean front.

The resort was full but never felt oversold or overcrowded. We parked ourselves at the Beach Palace for the entire stay (one week). The boys went one day to the Moon Palace to play some tennis and they came back reporting that our beach was much better and our resort was much more manageable.

On the beach, the guys who help with chairs and umbrellas were always kind and helpful. The service on the beach we received from Dominga and Juan Carlos was superb! They were always checking in on us to see what we needed and were great with the teens (helping them with virgin drink selections).

Our room was always cleaned and restocked in a timely manner and we appreciated that. We had some trouble with our room keys but I guess putting them near your cell phone can cause that. The staff were always helpful in getting us new keys.

We tried all the restaurants while we were there and our favorite was the Bocelli (Italian). The kids like dressing up and the filet mignon was spectacular! With our resort credits we got some delicious wine to pair with our dinners.

The buffet food was always fresh and tasty and changed up a little each day but some similiar stuff so that you can make various choices. I can't describe it but it's ran like a well oiled machine and everyone there is ready, willing and accommodating in every way!

Francisco at the outdoor restaurant made my kids laugh quite a bit.

The sweet boy at the towel station ALWAYS had a smile and tried to teach us to say "Towel" in espanol. :)

We enjoyed the kindness of so many while we were there and didn't catch ALL their names. My kids specifically remember Francisco, Pasqual and Miguel. We liked Eduardo...he was NON STOP! He was out at the pool during the day and in the Sport Bar in the evening. The guy who ran the beach cross training/zumba was fantastic! He was always able to get participants. He's got the moves!

Gabriel at the morning egg station (and there was a lady too) were always helpful and kind.

The pools were never overcrowded. I saw younger kids at the kid pool and the fun slide and everyone seemed happy. The swim up bar was nice and also never overly crowded.

We loved taking long walks on the beach and after dinner walks to the La Isla Mall up the road. Then we'd go to the Sports bar.

We took a couple trips to the rooftop for the hot tub and the view from up there. Also, the chaise lounge chairs were comfy and it was a nice way to get some quiet time.

I really can't say enough positive about this resort. It blew our expectations away. I would recommend this place in a heartbeat! We keep talking about coming back...and I hope it is soon.

We did not use the spa in any capacity so I can't comment on it at all. We did use the fitness center one time. It is smallish but it has enough equipment. It was clean.

Many thanks to the staff and the management at Beach Palace! You run a tight ship and we will be back!

Muchas Gracias!

Room Tip: Upper level rooms are quieter but the elevator is on the slow side. I liked the lagoon/resort view...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank kschugs
Luis O, General Manager at Beach Palace, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear kschugs:

This is one of those reviews that make may day a perfect one!! I can not thank you enough all the beautiful things that you say about the Beach Palace, I can see that you really enjoyed your vacation as well as your family!!
Thanks also for mentioning all the staff members that create a good memorie on you, I will personally thank them for doing such a great job!!

Thanks Again