“First time in a HRH”

Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
Ranked #10 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Ok, just 24 hours after our bracelets were cut at our first visit to HRC, here are our best notes (and some criticism) from our trip:

Allow me to start with the best: people! Luis & Cynthia at the Spa, Chef Guillen, you rock!, Alfonzo and Israel at Ciao made the difference, Ivam at the VIP vacation planning office, Francisco best ever pool bartender!!, Pedro at the Smash Bar along with Margarita and Conchis... Danny at Frida (what a night!!)... Luis from the entertainment team and his forced and quick French lessons. JJ at the beach Bali beads: best service award!!! and last but by any means least important, my favorite breakfast lady: Ericka: thanks for the divorciados!!

Now, the hotel... It was a little crowded at arrival weekend. Called my attention the very low employee-guest ratio... Which basically translate to under standard service. When crowd went down by Monday, we were back to expected service level!

Check in process was confusing, we were received once out of the bus, walked to main lobby check in area, after waiting in line, recognize member status and moved to the members lobby. Rooms were not ready (we arrived early) however we were in by 3:00 as promised.

Entertainment by the pool was nice, service at the beach was to died for!
Shows were ALL great! (Good job Black Angel!!) Michael Jackson, Circus, Rock, 70's...
Restaurants... Great arrachera at Ipanemas, no words to describe our experience with Frida. Great selection at Ciao and great food-service combination at Zen (read the whole description in the menu, some dishes are "versions" of the original dish!!).

Mexican night (Nov 20) was A M A Z I N G ! !

There are 2 concierge desks (one for members and one for general guests), they need to communicate better between them! We received a package and we were never informed. Our friends end up going to the hotel again just to point out where they left it (at general guests concierge desk). Area to improve!

Sadly the restaurant-converted-to-disco doesn't represent the Hard Rock spirit! Smash bar great, however music volume was to low!! Karaoke night, it will be nice to have it more than once a week and longer than 45 minutes!!

In summary a very nice experience, good memories and willingness to come back again down the road. Looking froward to visit Riviera Maya and Vallarta!

Room Tip: rooms on the side building are bigger, the farther from the elevator the better
There are newer reviews for Hard Rock Hotel Cancun

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I am a Preimier Palace member and just sent dear friends under our membership to the Hard Rock Cancun. Resort and room was BEAUTIFUL. Food and service leaves something to be desired. Certainly not up to the Palace Resort standards we expect. Quality of food was an issue. Service and selection of liquor was a problem. Just being able to get served a drink was difficult. When brand liquor was requested they were told don't have that and call the manager if you don't like it.. When the manager was called the liquor appeared. Apparently inadequate staff and little attention to details. Needed to request repeated days adequate toweling in the room etc. Took the time share tour and felt like they were being kept prisioners, 90 minute tour turned into 2 1/2 hours. I am very disappointed that this resort has declined to this point.

1  Thank sandy426
Reviewed 25 November 2013

looking for a resort with nice pools and beach, clean and secure place then this could be the spot for you. wife and I enjoyed the atmosphere around the pool with music. restaurants were very good. A+

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We just completed our 9 day stay at the Hard Rock in Cancun and it was a marvelous experience. The staff at the Hotel could have not been more accommodating to our needs and desires from the moment we entered the Lobby. Our concierge staff, Juany, Pilar, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Charlie to the Entertainment Staff, Kika and Bernie, our Sommelier Nelson, and even our masseuses, Rosa Luz and Liz made us feel very welcome (plus they made us feel great). The Hard Rock is like a second home!

Thank Edward M. C
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We have just returned from two weeks at the hard rock in Cancun and overall we had an excellent time, but with regards to the hotel alone, its hard to score them because there are loads of truly fantastic bits but with a few pretty disappointing ones to go along with it.
Firstly the best bits – the service is outstanding. From the check in guys, to the bar staff indoors and at the pool and the entertainment team they are amazing and can not do enough for you. We never sat down anywhere in the complex for more than a minute before someone came over and asked if we’d like a drink etc. They are genuinely helpful and I must add that we got this service whether we tipped or not. I never felt under pressure to tip them and we got great service either way, so I don’t understand some people’s comments on here about tipping.
The rooms are fantastic, very spacious with wonderful bathrooms and great jacuzzi tubs. The pool is also excellent and we appreciated that there aren’t too many kids, so it’s very relaxing. There is a lot of music and party games (which have been really fun!) but I can see how this might not be appreciated by everyone if you’re not into the music.
Overall I would say the food is good (with the exception of Frida, where our meal was completely inedible and we just walked out!). Zen is probably the best restaurant, where we had a fabulous teppanyaki meal. The Italian was fantastic, the Brazilian style meat at Ipanema was excellent and the buffet has a really nice variety of fresh and tasty food. Whilst its not the kind of food you’d get in a good city restaurant, it was very enjoyable none the less. In the ‘all-inclusive’ category of holiday, I think the food here is certainly much better than in a lot of other similar hotels in the area.
With regards to the timeshare hard sell, again I don’t understand the other comments on here, because not a single person spoke to us about it and we were not ‘pitched’ at once. I was very surprised, I was expecting and prepared for the hard sell, but we didn’t heard a peep about it. Almost disappointed, because I would have liked to hear what the deal was with it!

Now onto the not so good bits. Perhaps I’m being pedantic but these small touches really irritated me during our stay. My main gripe was with housekeeping. Whilst they did a good job in cleaning our room, they do not seem to come before 5pm! Some days as late as 8 or 9pm! We came back from dinner one night, tired and ready for bed, just before 10pm (it had been a long day!) and the maid was in our room cleaning. So we had to just sit outside for 30 minutes whilst she finished. On one day the maid didn’t come at all when we’d been out all day. I called the star service to get some clean towels and explained that the maid had not been, but got no apology or any promise that she would come, they just asked how many towels I wanted. Also with the turn-down service, I think we only got this on 9 out of 14 nights. Again, I don’t understand why they were so inconsistent.
There’s also an inconsistency in what gets put in the rooms, based on discussing with other guests, staying in the same kind of room as us, they were getting bottles of wine replenished in their room every day and we didn’t get any. So instead we called star service again and asked for one red and one white (my husband and I don’t drink the same) but we were told we can only have one at a time? So my husband got his wine and I had to wait before I could have a drink? Just odd.
As some others have commented, parts of the hotel are tatty and run down. The building itself doesn’t bother me, and even the scratched/dented/marked furniture in my room I can live with, but what did really annoy me was the towels with holes in and chipped/cracked crockery. This is unacceptable! If towels have holes surely they should be removed and replaced? The crockery and cutlery really let down the impression of the place, being either completely mismatched or damaged. Hard rock, please sort this out, because the small touches mean a lot and for a five star experience, I’d expect better.

Overall we did really enjoy the stay and I would recommend it to friends based on just the service alone. But I hope the housekeeping can bring up their standards to match the rest of the hotel because then it would be a five star review.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view on higher floors, many lagoon room views look out onto a carpark or a roof!
4  Thank MrsHBomb
Reviewed 25 November 2013

From the moment I arrived, no matter where I was--the staff went out of their way to ensure that I was comfortable and enjoying the property. Lucy, who seated me at the restaurant, The Market, was outstanding and made me want to be sure to return to The Market for breakfast! The quality of the restaurants was delightful to say the least! The best Lasagna ever while at Ciao! The entire experience was one that I will keep in my memory for a long time! I look forward to my next Hard Rock Hotel experience!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 November 2013

As a travel agent (yes, we do exist!) we have the opportunity to experience a variety of resorts (which is why using a travel agent is to your advantage). Hard Rock Cancun was truly a wonderful experience. There was a wide range of clientele from young families to seniors to all appeared to be having a 'Rockin' time! Variety of areas for everyone; quiet alcoves to read your book and rockin bars and night club to stay up and party. The main pool was well designed, a pool to get away from it all on the 3rd floor terrace. The beach was one of the best. Talking to a number of clients on site they generally all agreed; the staff 'Wonderful, attentive', they were treated like 'Rock Stars', the food was Excellent. "Never felt so pampered". Definitely for every generation.
The new Hard Rock Riviera Maya is also sure to be a winner!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends