The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
GreenLeadersSilver level
Canton, Georgia
“The Best”
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

This is my third time here and it is wonderful! Everyone is so nice, friendly and accommodating! Two people in our group are gluten free and we have never gotten contaminated. The resort is VERY clean. The rooms are more than spacious and have everything you can think of. There are multiple pools and other activities and the spa is incredible- don't leave without getting a massage and using the gym.

Stayed November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,190)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Northeast PA
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is our early review on The Royal Sands Cancun. I say early because we are still here and will be for another 8 days, unfortunately. Let me give a little background, I have been to the Cancun, Riviera Maya, Tulum areas 31 times, 30 of them all inclusive.
We arrived 2 days ago and went to the front counter to check in. We got our arrival speech and it included things like “we need a credit card even though you say you wont use anything and we are going to charge $300 on it just in case you do decide to use it”. Never heard this before but ok. Then we get our wrist band internet passwords for the internet that doesn’t work (finally went to the lobby to send this review in) and he tells us this. “We are going to be moving your room on Sat as a time share is coming in for the room your in but we will have a bell man help you with everything so no worries”. Oh really, no worries other then having to pack and move our room, and the fact that he said “please don’t leave the room between 10 and 1 because they will come and get your stuff and hold it at the front desk because your new room probably will not be ready”. Are you kidding me? So he continued to tell us that there are two restaurants on the property and if I wanted to go to 4 others I would have to call and make a reservation before 5pm and then catch a shuttle to which it stops running at 930pm so you would need to catch a taxi if you wanted to eat later! So our first night we go on property to the Mexican restaurant to eat and we find that half of the menu is not good with the “ALL inclusive” option. Now I know that Spanish is another language but all should have the same meaning! We are also not allowed any premium liquors, canned beer (only draft) or any other wine beside the house version. So much for ALL inclusive!
The food at the La Veranda or Buffet restaurant is not bad but very little selection. Looks like we may be eating there the rest of the week due to the subpar food at the Mexican restaurant. The rooms are set up like a Holiday Inn Hotel, nothing like the similar priced “resorts” in the area. The service has been nothing to brag about either unlike many of the other stays I have had here in Mexico. It seems once the staff see the lime green wrist band they want nothing to do with you and treat you as a second class citizen. You have to give your room key for everything yet they only give you two. If you want drinks by the pool you need to give them a key, want to check out towels better have that room key handy. Stop by for a snack don’t leave your room key behind. Not only does it suck having to always carry it around on you but when you go to the restaurant you have to wait for them to give it back before you can leave. As I said about the service before Speed Gonzalez is not working here so hope you save a good 15 minute conversation for the wait! We booked a King bed and we were surprised to see on even bigger when we got in the room, ah but they tricked us and pushed the two full beds together. There is no nightly entertainment like the other resorts in the area and forget about music or activities at the pool, pretty good if they are bringing a nursing home here for a field trip not so much for a 40 something couple trying to have fun.
Granted we understand now that this is not really an all inclusive resort and it seems they fill in the off weeks empty rooms with this option but the fact remains we paid very good money for our stay here and it is very poor so far. I am going to assume by all the great reviews the majority of reviewers are time share holders. My wife and I are going to make a complaint to our concierge and see if anything changes but it will be hard to fix most of our complaints. Next time I will be sure the advertised “all inclusive” is exactly that.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel/resort
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank captonv
Bolton, Vermont, United States
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We had a 2 bedroom villa overlooking the pools and the ocean. The accommodations were absolutely perfect. The resort was pristine and fun. The pools were sparkling at all hours of the day, the swim up bar was always a good time. Beaches are kept pristine as well. Resort is within walking distance to the mall or you could hop the bus to go to the La Isla shopping. We will be back!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Signal Hill, California
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed a week at the Royal Sands in Cancun and had a great time. If you are not an owner, you do have to pay an all-inclusive fee which was 89.00 per person per day. If you drink, it is well worth it, but if you don't perhaps not depending on how much you eat! The pool/ swim up bars offered approximately 74 different drinks! The restaurant choices were plentiful, including a lovely seafood lagoon side restaurant, a fine dining restaurant with live guitar music, a high quality Mexican restaurant and the hotel restaurant which was very nice. The pool bars also offered food.
We had a two bedroom/two bath unit with living room and kitchen which was cleaned daily along with turn down service each night(chocolates on the pillow!) Great view of the pool and ocean and nice sized veranda.
The staff were all very pleasant and helpful and public facilities were very well-maintained and attractive. I will definitely come back here( and soon!!).

Room Tip: I think almost all rooms have ocean view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bonita Springs, Florida, United States
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Our 2 bedroom villa was perfect for 2 couples! We met in the morning for coffee in the spacious living room and lanai. Headed to the pool for water aerobics, poolside reading and sunshine until lunchtime with table side guacamole! Happy Hour in the pool was always a highlight. Some of our group used the workout facility and salon and were very pleased. Loved having our own kitchen - pretty well stocked with pans and dishes. Wished there would have been a cookie sheet or broiler pan for warming. Walking distance to some fine restaurants. We had a great week with wonderful weather! Check out was easy and taxi service was great!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Reading all of the other reviews for this hotel had me slightly wary before my vacation. There are five star reviews followed by two star reviews, so I was unsure what to expect. I have to say I was absolutely pleased with my stay at the Royal Sands.

I stayed at the resort as a non owner and thus purchased the all inclusive package. I had read reviews which stated that the staff would ignore all inclusive customers, and that guests were hounded about becoming a time share owner. This was NOT my experience at all. We were not bothered even once about buying a time share. The staff was attentive and super friendly throughout the week.

Most importantly, the food was pretty good. I am relatively hard to please in this department, and the food was much better than I expected. I would recommend having dinner at the Hacienda Sisal, which is not attached to the hotel but IS included in the all inclusive package. There is pretty much only one restaurant in the hotel, but they do switch up the food everyday.

The hotel grounds are absolutely beautiful. The pools are huge, the beach area has plenty of seating, and everything is extremely clean. Also a plus is that every room has an ocean view and a balcony. You can't beat that.

I would definitely go back to the Royal Sands, but I have to say this hotel may not be for everyone.

If you are looking for a completely relaxing vacation, this is your hotel. If you are looking for a place where you can party a little and have something to do in the evening, I would suggest another hotel. Probably because most of the guests at the resort are time share owners, the guests at this hotel are much older on average than the other hotels. After dinner you can hear crickets chirp. If you don't want to go to sleep at 10pm you will have to venture outside of this hotel. There is also a lack of music and activities during the day. There was bingo once, and water aerobics once.

Also I have to say that the rooms can use some upgrading. The rooms do not have large jacuzzi tubs or the other niceties one may come to expect at these large resorts. But in the end the rooms are very clean and you want to be outside most of the time anyway.

Overall I would return to this resort again. It was beautiful, clean, and the staff was all very friendly. If you aren't a partier you will be happy here.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Farrell S
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I rented a two bedroom unit via the mytimesharevacations.com website which is comprised solely of owners of the Royal Resorts. Since I rented from an owner I was not required to purchase the all-inclusive package which seems to be the mass majority of the negative feed back from trip advisor. The Royal Sands is beautiful and meticulously kept. The service can be a bit slow at times but it is Mexico. There are way to many great restaurants with amazing views in Cancun to waste your money on the all-inclusive packages that are offered at the Sands. Using the fully equipped kitchen occasionally for breakfast and lunch and going to a nice restaurant at night will save you a lot of money.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple