“100 % Everything Expected of a Quality Resort”

The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Ranked #20 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We have stayed in several different hotels and resorts in Cancun, including Moon Palace, Marriott and Oasis ... but none were HOME. As soon as we see the steps leading to lobby we know we are in for a great, safe, relaxing, and entertaining vacation. I have been going to RS since my daughters were pre-teen and they would come and go throughout resort for different activities and I never once had a concern. Security knows who you are and where you are at all times. Every single person from bell boys, to housekeeping, to bartenders and waiters were amazing. Activities directors were simply awesome! It felt good to be around staff that enjoyed their job (and I assume are well taken care of by their attitude). Ambiance was great, resort is always immaculate and the activities (zumba, salsa, karoake, pilates, yoga ... to name a few) was top! We always avoid getting to/or leaving the resort on Saturdays, or at least busy mornings thru noon because of congestion, so checking in and out took but minutes. Honestly, we could go to other places, hotels, or resorts, but we have a place "where everybody knows your name" (a lot of friends we have met and meet at Sands), and like the many couples we know that are there for 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and more weeks a year ... why go anywhere else? Did I mention that the water in the ocean (with waves) most of the time is warmer than the water in the pool? Delicious food? Excellent gym? ... I could go on and on but this is something you have to check out for yourself!

Room Tip: Even Murphy beds are comfortable .. we tried them for first time this year for one night
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Empoweringsynergy
Cristóbal G, Online Community Administrator. at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We always strive to provide the highest satisfaction levels to our guests and it's rewarding to learn we achieved this goal with you.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Had an ocean front lock off suite and loved it. The beach and water are amazing. The only thing I did not like is the palapa on beach get taken to early in the morning . You have to get up before 7:30 to get an palapa on the beach. The lobster was excellent i! Staff was kind . As an all inclusive I felt the drinks where not up to my standards . They lacked liqueur .

Room Tip: Any room is amazing
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Lori G

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We just returned from Cancun and Playa for one night. We stayed the first night at the Hacienda in Playa because of our short notice. I am a member at The Sands and it was great as always and the all inclusive feature makes great sense. I have stayed at the Sands several times over the years and the service is always off the charts. The room at the Hacienda was a little nicer being that it's newer, NOTE: the food selection was also a little better at the Hacienda, don't get me wrong, the food at the Sands is awesome...

Room Tip: I would say to request BEACH FRONT instead of beach view, although there isn't a bad unit at the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jayson R
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed here for 7 days in April 2014. All-inclusive. We thought the resort was excellent,clean and very well kept. The service by the entire staff was outstanding.The food was very good with 4 restaurants to choose from. The beach was very nice but was irritated by many of the guest claiming beach chairs and huts in the early am and going unused for most of the day. The pools were very nice also but about the same for towels hanging on unused chairs, warm with plenty of chairs to be had. The outside Char Hut was outstanding with very good service by the pools. All-inclusive with the wrist bands that had be worn at all times took a little getting use too, would have been nice if we could have just shown our room key instaed of both. The room {junior suite} was plenty big but had 2 twin beds with dated bedding, instead of a king bed. Two small for 2 people. We did have to move rooms because it is a time share so they moved us to another room which was about the same, but with nicer linens and an ocean front view for the inconvenience, very nice. The beds though were still the same- 2 twins. They did bother us for the first few days about time share, but I was pretty insistant that they were wasting there time and they finally gave up- wasn't bad though they were just doing there jobs.
Overall we thought it was Very Good. Will return

Room Tip: Every room room had a very nice view. The junior suite was very nice sized but did not like that the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VDONK
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Before leaving for our trip, we read some of the recent reviews and were worried about the so-called "riff-raff" and terrible service. We did not encounter ANY of these issues our entire week long stay. Our family is laid back and loved being able to relax and enjoy our vacation at this beautiful resort. Our stay at the Royal Sands was overall a great experience. Check in was easy and our room on the first floor was fantastic. Being on the first floor allowed us to have our own private walkway down to the pool. We felt as though the whole resort was impeccably clean and staff were wonderful. The breakfast buffet at La Veranda was excellent with many choices. Our waiter Rafael was so nice and willing to get us anything we wanted. We had lunch each day at the char hut at the swim up bar. The food was fantastic and the service of the bartenders was top notch. We loved seeing Julio each day, who made special drinks for us and made us feel welcome. The pool was great and we didn't seem to have any issues finding a spot each morning. The beach was extremely clean and the water was beautiful and warm. We were surprised with how well equipped and clean the gym was, we visited the gym almost every morning. There were only a few downsides to the resort. The first was the "personal concierge" who seemed like he was only there to sell us a time share at the Royal Haciendas in Riviera Maya. In addition, our visit to the beauty salon to get a manicure and pedicure was not the best. The people working in the salon were not friendly and the service was nothing like the rest of the resort. Another downside was our dinner at La Veranda on the first and second night. The food was so-so, but we discovered Hacienda Sisal and Captain's Cove restaurants were included in our all-inclusive package. Captain's Cove was so great we actually went three nights! I would highly recommend this resort and would love to return with my family.

Room Tip: Staying on the first floor allowed us to have our own private entrance to the pool area and was very...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Seaisle3
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Very disappointing.
We have been owners for 13 years.
This year was the worst.
Service staff argue with you for issues as room service.( cant have bagel but was delivered day before)
all inclusive but rarely had turn down service.
Cleanliness.
Pool area used to be scrubbed every day, now its once a week.
Conquistor dont waste your time. Wine list ...we asked for selection and every item was not in stock. Steak was all marbling and tough.
Captains Cove. Mahi Mahi I was served scraps.
Staff were deceptive.
worst stay of 13 years.
YES drunks and not young crowd.
Members that couldnt handle all inclusive. Hope you are reading this.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank disappointed6587

Dear Guest,

Thank for taking time to post about our resort.

As you point out, our resort is a mixed use resort and does lend itself to a few challenges. However, we always strive to provide the highest satisfaction levels to our guests and we regret not achieving this goal with you. Resort's management is currently reaching you directly to learn from this situation in order to ensure this won't be experienced by any of our visitors.

We hope to be able to welcome you again during your next visit to Mexican Caribbean.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 10 May 2014

As a long time owner at The Royal Sands Spa and Resort I was not prepared for what I encountered during my 2 weeks stay! The magic is gone. The reason I bought two villas at The Royal Sands was the wonderful people who work there, the world class service and the outstanding grounds and villas.

Now that All-Inclusive has been introduced, the whole place has changed. The Char-Hut which used to be awesome is horrible. I took me over an hour to get a beer, and when I did it was warm! The Hut did not have a beer refrigerator so they used a cooler. Big fail. They did not even rent or replace the refrigerator with one from an unused unit until they could replace the broken one? The pool in Phase 2 was dirty due to drinks being spilled in it from the Expedia.com and all inclusive people. If they did not like their warm nasty drinks, they just let them blow around the pool and it trashed the place. The Char-Hut bathroom smelled like urine to the point I almost puked. I saw many people being taken away in wheelchairs and failing down drunk? Never saw that before. Lots of infants and toddlers in the pool in diapers as well as lots of blow up rafts and toys in the huge Phase 2 pool? They are not allowed but no security seems to around like it used to? There is a huge baby pool but parents felt compelled to bring their tiny diapered babies to Happy Hour. Several fights reported in Phase 1 between all inclusive party's. There was no music in Phase 2 or it was so low you could not hear it. "Happy Hour" in Phase 2 was an "Un-Happy Hour" with no music or low Mexican music only, warm beer and horrible service. I wanted to "pay for" my high end drinks and the bar tenders would or could not provide me with top shelf products I demand. It seemed they were more concerned with waiting on the all-inclusives and ignored the real tip paying members who prefer real high quality drinks and food and actually are willing to pay for it?

The food in the restaurants was poor due to the staff pushing the buffet which never changed, and the service was weak as they are not getting tips due to the all-inclusive people.

Note: I am not old and ready for the retirement community. I go to Cancun for many reasons, but I bought at The Royals to be treated as such, like royalty, which they used to do. The "private club feeling" and magic is gone, and now its become a low rent all inclusive "hotel" trying to make money in a weak global economy. Sad. I feel like I was lied to. As I can go any place in the world and spend my hard earned money, I may choose not to go back to my once "home away from home"that I loved so much and look for another place that will treat me the way The Royals used to.

How can I go to a presentation to buy into another Royal property when the one I own at now is run like this? What would prevent my new property from going all-inclusive and dot com users after I sighed the contract? I hope The Royals management reads this and contacts me as I have asked them to after my recent stay. I would be very careful "renting" from the Sands today as the whole system has changed from private club to hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family