“Exterior not appealing, rooms are great though!”

Hotel Casa Turquesa
Ranked #77 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Southern California
“Exterior not appealing, rooms are great though!”
Reviewed 14 March 2005

My friend and I stayed at Casa Turquesa from March 4th to March 8th. Casa Turquesa is a very small 3 story hotel with less than 50 rooms. Upon arriving at the hotel, the one section outside was being completely renovated and the exterior walking toward the main entrance really did not look very appealing. I started to get worried, because after reading many of the wonderful reviews on this site, I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel. When we got there, our room was still being cleaned, so my friend and I walked outside to the beach. There was no one in site, it felt kind of deserted like we were the only ones staying there or something which made me even more worried! The exterior down to the beach looked ok, but you can tell it was being renovated as well and needed some “clean-up” workl. So in a nutshell, the exterior of Casa Turquesa really did not look very attractive, especially with all the 5 star hotels nearby.

When we got to our room, it was a different story. I did all the research and hotel arrangements for our trip (in Cozumel and Cancun) which consisted of 4 nights at Casa Turquesa, and just before entering our room, this might sound stupid, but my heart was kind of beating hard, cuz I was worried that the exterior of Casa Turquesa and what I had seen so far might bear some resemblance to the inside of our room as well, and I didn’t want my friend to be disappointed either because we already had one substandard experience at the Coral Princess Hotel in Cozumel a few nights before which I also did the research on and booked and I already felt really bad about that, so I didn’t want this hotel to be another bomb. Anyway, as my friend put the key into the door, my heart was beating and I was prepared to be disappointed. I’m glad I was wrong! The room was huge! It had marble floors, a huge king bed, a couch, a dining table, cupboards, two night stands, a few mirrors, some artwork and art sculptures too! On the balcony, there was a table with 2 chairs, a single bed in the corner, and a jacuzzi!! We used the jacuzzi one night over looking the ocean, and that was really nice. The bathroom was also very large, it had two sinks, two closets, a vanity mirror, a stand up shower, a nice tiled bathtub, and of course a toilet :) They hung two bath robes every day for us to use, and had a variety of mouthwash, soap, shampoo, body lotion every day as well. My friend and I were quite happy with our room. The maids cleaned the room very well each day, and we really had no complaints about the room at all. The bed faced the window, so in the morning, we would wake up to the sun shining and if we woke up early enough, you could see the sunrise of the turquoise sea…breathtaking.

We would definitely recommend staying at Casa Turquesa if you want a nice spacious, clean, fully furnished, great looking room. It definitely was NOT a “basic” hotel room, I highly doubt you will be disappointed with the room. Oh, and there were quite a few other people staying there as well, so it wasn’t deserted after all! I have to say that the facilities aren’t all that spectacular like the 5 star resorts, but when you’re in Cancun, you’re there to enjoy the beaches etc right? I do think it might be one of the best kept secret hotels there though since it’s so small and the exterior of the hotel needed some work. But it’s your room that’s your main concern and I’m sure the rooms at Casa Turquesa would beat a lot of the 5 star hotel rooms. How many come with a private Jacuzzi on the balcony too? The price was half the price or less of a 5 star hotel too! Great place, would like to see it when it is completely renovated…would definitely go back…

• Stayed January 2005
21 Thank scuzzynutty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 February 2005

Upon arriving at the Casa Turquesa, it is obvious this was once a grand hotel but is now run down. It is true that the service is amazing. We are in our mid 30's and were there with 3 other couples. I felt that we had rented the place ourselves! It was something I doubt I will experience again. The thought of the turquoise water and beautiful beach still take my breath away. Do not pick this hotel if you are looking to mingle and sit in a happening lounge - luckily we had a party just with our group. It's not what you would expect to find in between the high rise hotels and condos of Cancun - but there is a charm about Casa Turquesa that you don't appreciate until you sit back and take it all in.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 February 2005

We were in the hotel from 26 - 29 January 2005. We have been to Cancun 5 times and stayed at eight different hotels (most of them very nice places - Royal Sands, Westin Regina, Continental Plaza, etc.). Nothing has surpassed the experience at the Casa Turquesa. It is very quiet and sometimes you wonder if you don't have the place to yourselves. You actually can relax without hundreds of tourists around you, as in most hotels. Everyone who assisted us was just wonderful. We booked a 2nd or 3rd floor room and were upgraded to the fourth (the best rooms in the hotel) with no extra charge (--- had the best prices that we could find). The rooms were clean and large, as was the patio. I only had a few comments: It would have been nice to have a refrigerator in the room. There was some maintenance going on in the hotel, but this is common for every hotel we've been at. Other than that, everything was excellent. We will definitely be looking at staying at the Casa Turquesa the next time we are in Cancun!

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed 1 February 2005

I and my two sisters just returned from a 5 day to the Casa Turquesa in Cancun Mexico. Let me start by saying that I was quite hestitant about Cancun to begin with, because I thought it was a tourist destination that attracted just spring breakers and party-party-party, I was dead wrong. When we first pulled up in front of the property it appeared to be run down, and alot of construction going on in and around it, but as soon as we reached the top of the hill and entered through the doors, the small 33 all suite boutique hotel was everything I dreamed it would be and more. The lobby is beautiful and the decor just stunning, and the view, it's indescribable, just magnificant! The suite we stayed in was 206 on the lobby floor. A very spacious suite with a sitting/dining area and a large sleeping area. The floors throughout the property were unbelievable as well, all marble, with glass furnishings. The bathroom was a suite within the suite, it had three separate rooms housing an indoor huge marble tub for two, a shower stall, a changing and make-up area and the toilet area. The most spacious bathroom ever and more than enough room for three women. The best part of our room was the expansive private terrace with our own outdoor jacuzzi tub, fully furnished and it even had an outdoor bed on it. The cleaniness is hard to describe, immaculate to say the least and very impressive. The property itself, though small and intimate was the perfect place to take a break from our real lives and just relax in the sun. The beach, well, it was the largest strip of pink sand around and the pool was just perfect. The grounds were well maintained and the scenery just specacular. Now for the best part, the service!!!! It was shall I say the best service I have ever experienced in all my life, and we have traveled extensively around the world, but no one has ever treated us so wonderful. From the great food, to them serving us whether at the pool, on the beach or in our room. They held the towel for you when you got out of the pool, they just couldn't do enough to make your stay comfortable. I felt like it was my house and they were my servants. Wonderful, nice warm and hospitable people. Fancy and private, but not pretenious at all. I could imagine if I was visiting with a man instead of my sisters this could be a very romantic place. I give the Casa Turquesa 5 stars, absolutely wonderful. Don't let the construction and fixing fool you, or the fact that it is a small property, this is a winner in Cancun for sure, unlike any other property around!!!!! go and enjoy! and they say the fixing will be completed by April 2005, it includes a second restaurant, a full spa and a gym. By the way get a massage, it was great, and it was done overlooking the ocean, right next to the pool area.

18 Thank JeanneMNewJersey
new jersey
Reviewed 19 January 2005

The advertisements and photos of Casa Turquesa convinced my husband and I that this was the right place for a quiet and relaxing getaway. Indeed, it was quiet! We had most of the hotel to ourselves. However, we were surprized to find out when we arrived in Cancun, that there was no hotel transportation to and from the airport, as advertised. We had to pay extra for our own transportation. The hotel property entrance was so run down that I thought it must be closed! There were more surprises! no gourmet restaurant , no bar (due to their being closed for renovations) , no CD players in the room , no playable tennis courts and no free continental breakfast each morning, for which we also had to pay extra. Our week, (including the surprises) was prepaid, so we had to stay. Considering all of the surprises...I'm glad we did. We relaxed, and it was quiet.

The staff was excellent and friendly,and cheerfully tried to accomodate our needs. Although there was a small cafe on site for breakfast and drinks, They suggested dining in other restaurants the area , and even made reservations for us. Taxis were available at an instant . Classical music filled the attractive lobby, which was abundant with art . Our room was clean and spacious with bare marble floors , but needed lots of TLC from paint spills. The lock on the balcony sliding doors was rusted and very difficult to close. The bathroom sinks were corrodied and needed to be replaced. Plumbing was sluggish. The kingsize bed was extremely hard, and although the sheets were clean, they were threadbare and worn. The AC was noisy.

• Stayed January 2005