“One night stay, no complaints.”
Review of Mia Cancun

Mia Cancun
Ranked #104 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Surprised that seeing the reviews on the side as I write this is pretty negative. I had zero complaints. We went in low season so yes there wasn't really anyone else there but that meant that the staff were very helpful. I needed to change a taxi booking and the front desk called on my behalf. Our room was big, huge bed and clean. Maybe one day was not enough to see the flaws that others saw but I definitely didn't feel uncomfortable staying here on first impressions. It's not your 4 star resort hotel but that's exactly what we were trying to avoid. It's cute, friendly and backs onto the beach so I have no complaints. Also if you stay here, go eat at the little shack just next door to the hotel's entrance.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Epet_1984

Reviewed 30 May 2013

OMG, I've stayed here before when it was the Avalon Baccara & had mostly good things to say about the property & staff, but the property, now the "Hotel Bacarette" has a new owner, new staff, & OMG has the property gone down hill fast !
I had a recent reservation but refused to stay after seeing how dirty, broken down, & poorly maintained the rooms have gotten.
They get 1 star because they are located on a beautiful stretch of sand in Cancun, but then again so is every other hotel in Cancun !
With so many very nice places to stay in the area, I would HIGHLY recommend booking your trip to a different property.
I lost 1 day of my vacation scrambling to find a different hotel after arriving and by then you get stuck paying a premium, but I am SOOOOOO glad that I chose the lost day & financial hit over spending my vacation at this property. OMG, DON'T GO !

Room Tip: If you want a nice clean relaxing place to stay by the beach, with working a/c, no bugs.... book a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank andrewv793
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We were very pleased with our accomodations!! We had booked via Expedia for one night, one room, and requested a rollaway bed for our 17 yr old daughter. We wanted to be near the airport for our next day departure. We arrived very early expecting to have to kick around town for four hours, but instead were let into our room at 11am and given a two bedroom upgrade! We were able to relax on the beach, play in the ocean, and take a swim in the pool before running off to our Dolphin excursion. It was like we got an extra day of vacation with the early check in! We LOVED the architecture of the building...it is so authentic! Our room was a small two bedroom apartment, with living area, dining area, and small kitchenette. Each bedroom had a private bath with shower. There was a large patio, with table and loungers, overlooking the ocean...an awesome view! Everything was clean and the bathrooms well stocked. Kitchen not stocked with dishes other than cups and two pans, but we were not expecting a kitchen. This is not a luxury resort, but after spending 6 nights in a luxury all inclusive resort....this offered the perfect feel of authentic Mexico that a luxury resort does not give you. There are vacant buildings on either side, but this meant a very private and beautiful beach!!! We ate at the restaurant on site for dinner and breakfast because we wanted to throw a few extra bucks their way in appreciation of the upgrade. It was convenient and the food good, averaging $20+ pp for dinner and $10+ pp for breakfast. The staff was very friendly and helpful all around. Did I mention there is a swim up bar/snack bar in a very quaint pool area? Wish I would have known there was free wifi in the lobby..would have really topped off the package! Maybe it was the unexpected upgrade, but we could not have been more pleased with our accomodations!

Room Tip: We had room 101. Beautiful!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We came during high season and this place was empty. So its definatly a go to place if you want Pease and quiet. But maybe it was empty because we weren't the only once who found bugs every where in the first room we got. Or had all appliances and room keys breaking in the second room. The location and the view was excellent. And the staff was really lovely and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Schamanda
Reviewed 15 March 2013

My dentist told me about this place. The price was reasonable. The first room was not great. However, when I asked for a better room, they were great about upgrading me. The staff is very nice and personable. This is a smaller property and not one of those huge hotels. I also appreciated that the property gave you a choice of laying on the beach and also under an umbrella by the pool. The breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2013

If by any chance you are thinking to book this hotel better reconsider...
Although it is advertised as a 4 star hotel, it doesn't deserve even 1. Very, very old, needs a serious repair. When you enter you will immediately feel the smell of an ancient house and humidity. A/C in some of the rooms doesn't work. Rooms have also a ventolator on the ceiling, but it is somehow connected with the lights so if you wish to switch off the ventilator you have to turn off the lights as well. We also had ants in the kitchen, I asked the hotel manager to remove them, but that never happned. The cleaning lady does not wash the floor, at the 5-th day it was so sticky that i finally got where it's colour comes from :-( :-(
Clean bath towels and toilet paper were very often missing, you will have to ask for them on the reception. The incline in our bathroom was somehow incorrect and to take a shower we had to cross a big puddle and the cleaning lady never took care about it.
A very important clarification - you must know that a standard room means a room without ocean view, that is a room a street view .. believe me there was a terrible noise coming from the main street. This is nowhere mentioned and when I asked the hotel manager he explained that on their internet site all rooms types are explained in details. Of course I checked the site and ooohh.. such a sirprise .. there is not even a word mentioned neither for the hotel nor for the rooms.
Having in mind all those "extras" I asked the manager if he would be so kind to change our room, but ... no ... no way ... unless we pay for an extension to get a suite... Well I really didn't want to invest more money in this hmmm let's hotel. At the end we just tried to stay as less time as possible there.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lily-popova
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Avalon Baccara was originally built some 20+ years ago as a residence for the family of a high politico of the Yucatan. I personally view it as an authentic, historic structure of the region and it's time. I have not stayed there but did vacation for several years at the Avalon Grand next door. It was a short walk over so we would visit their pool bar and restaurant and were always treated courteously. The location is fantastic with an outdoor mall with several restaurants just a short walk to the left; a small shopping venue directly across the street, including a convenience store with some of everything. Additional restaurants to the right. The beach is very nice and the bus stop is close. There is no elevator. The pool is unusual - again, built to the residents' requirements. The tile work is beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends