“Small things”

Ranked #93 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Cancún
“Small things”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Air condition filter was so clogged that air was not cooling everything else was perfect, restaurant great, the location was excellent, Maintenance should be more efficient for the Hotel and the clients, temperature is very hot

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Nevada, Iowa
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We decided on staying in Cancun city instead of the hotel zone. This hotel was in a very nice area of town, with great lots of really nice restaurants nearby. The hotel itself was very clean, the rooms were nice and very modern, staff friendly and serviceminded.
The restaurant was also a great choice for breakfast and lunch...Staying here is definitely a must instead of the boring hotel zone, that everithing is far from markets and everythings is more expensive, here in downtown you can find more things to do with a really good prices, the hotel its very good located in front of the bus station and you can take a bus to everywhere!

Room Tip: its better one of the second they are kindof new!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jhnn12c
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We vacationed in Cancun to celebrate my anniversary, we stayed in a hotel in the beach area right in the hotel zone, a day afther that we should take our flight back, we stopped migration to forget my visa, so my family request sent by messaging while my papers arrived my husband and I decided to stay at a downtown hotel, down the bus, we are opposite a hotel with a fountain that made us just what we needed for a couple of nights, on arrival the receptionist attended to very attentive and offered us a nice room side to the hotel pool area the price is affordable for a comfortable hotel, clean and safe. We surprised see a green area in the heart of the city, is like a secret garden within the hotel, all in the hotel were very friendly and helped us all to come home after a bad experience at airport immigration.
Hope to get back for my second anniversary to this hotel, we did not need to visit the archaeological site of Tulum Hotel and opposite the buses to this area. It is an excellent choice for the location and price.

Room Tip: you may ask for rooms on the 250 are nice and quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bartolomeo G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I tried to get an ADO bus from the airport but at around 8pm i couldn't see any at all. the staff in the airport at the information desk were unhelpful and told me i'd need a taxi which was 16 USD and that there were no buses, I was expecting to pay 4 USD for the bus so not a good start to my trip.the best thing about the hotel was its location, right opposite the bus station. the room itself was clean and spacious but offered little privacy, the shower area was enclosed within the room with partly frosted glass & a toilet hidden behind the shower but without a door, so we used an open shower door for privacy when using the toilet. we being my new travel companion on a group trip with Intrepid travel. need to ask for the AC remote control as this was already on when i got to the room which made the room v.cold, my companion had left the AC on therefore but didn't know how to switch it off. local shops nearby inc Oxxo for some pot noodles and stock up on snacks for the next leg of the trip the next morning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sonya I
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

They have a new beautifull rooms. This rooms are expensive, but yu get a much better product. I liked very much The gardens and The peakoaks. Is the best hotel in Cancun dawn tawn. I will like go back in my next vacations in Cancun

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2013

If you're flying into or out of Cancun and need to stay overnight because you're taking an ADO bus the next day, the Plaza Caribe could not be more convenient. It's reasonably clean (though they should do something about the tiny ants -- I recommend a boric acid, sugar, and water solution), there's a nice pool area, two resident parrots in a cage, and a small park where several (loud) peacocks wander free. Three children and I stayed in a two-room "suite" with two queen beds in each small room. The bathroom was a weird arrangement of a shower on one side (good pressure, good hot water) with an opaque glass door on one side, a toilet with a matching door on the other side, and a sink in the middle. Both doors had a considerable gap. Zero privacy. Closing the door between rooms barred the sleepers in the other room from the bathroom, since, as we discovered, the door couldn't be opened from that side because the lock was broken. There were no hand towels by the sink and the faucets were loose and hard to shut off. The button to flush the toilet needed to be pressed with serious force to work. The air conditioning worked fine, and the wifi signal was mostly good throughout the hotel, including the room. The beds were comfortable.

The restaurant is pleasant-looking and open to the park. We had lunch there, and breakfast the next day. Bad coffee, soggy toast, under-cooked eggs, soggy hotcakes, okay club sandwich, unchewable "Mexican steak" sandwich, very nice young waiter. Avoid the "catsup" at all costs. By the way, if you drink coffee, walk across the street to the bus station.There's a kiosk in there (the departure waiting room) where they make surprisingly good espresso, so I imagine that their other coffee would be decent as well. I made the mistake of walking to Sanborn's nearby for a so-called espresso that was undrinkable brown dishwater.

A great bellman wheeled our bags across to the bus station to catch the airport shuttle. The ladies at the reception desk did their jobs, but never even accidentally cracked a smile. The star of the day was a young man who realized that I'd been charged twice for the room -- once when I booked on line on their website and again when I checked out. He ran across to the bus station after us, explained the situation, and said he would try to reverse the second charge before we left and come back to the bus station with the receipt. He did.

I would stay there again for the convenience of being across from the bus station. I don't like Cancun much and would be unlikely to stay more than one night, but people who do or want to explore the centro would find it a reasonably comfortable and very affordable place to use as a base.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Agnes V
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed one night in July 2013 at Hotel Plaza Caribe in Cancun because we were catching the bus the next morning. I was not expecting much since the reviews were kind of harsh. I was pleasantly surprised that this was a fairly nice family hotel - clean, tidy, spacious room. There is a pool, restaurant and yes the AC worked just fine. It is walking distance to a variety of stores and other restaurants too. We had booked online and the price was $879 Mx peso - this is consistent with their web site pricing for a standard room with one king bed. The staff were very helpful and polite, and tried very hard to understand our poor Spanish.

For its cleanliness, friendly staff, and being so close to the bus depot, I highly recommend this hotel. I do not judge any Mexican business by American standards, especially hotels. But compared with other Mexican hotels, I would say this one has high standards. I would not hesitate to stay again at Hotel Plaza Caribe.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple