“Well priced and clean near terminal”
Review of Plaza Caribe Hotel

Plaza Caribe Hotel
Ranked #89 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
New York City, New York
“Well priced and clean near terminal”
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Poor planning found me at the Cancun bus terminal at 11:45pm with a dead cell phone and nowhere to stay. I wandered around a bit before deciding on this place, which is literally right across the street from the terminal--there was a sign outside advertising a double room for $590 pesos ($44 US), and I was desperate, so I figured why not.

I took the deal--it was 590 total, with no extra taxes or fees added. The cheap rooms were all on the third floor (no elevator); however, the room I got was nice--nothing fancy, but quiet and clean, with a tv and separate bathroom.

I wasn't at the hotel long--I left the following morning for Isla Mujeres--but I noticed that there was a nice, big courtyard that would have been an enjoyable place to relax for a bit. There was also a restaurant, where I ate breakfast--not included with the special price, but still not that expensive.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly, the room was nice and not that expensive, and the proximity to the bus terminal is a huge plus.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank JDirron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My partner and I stayed 2 nights at the Plaza Caribe in mid November. We had a small poolside room which was ideal. The pool was clean & well maintained and ideal for the sunny Cancun weather. The hotel location was great - right across the street from the ADO bus terminal. Many small non-touristy stores, bars and restaurants well within walking distance. Two of our favourite higher end restaurants within walking distance are Labna and Habichuela ( side by side). There are two community parks closeby with local and cultural activities. The large artisans market is a few blocks (easy walk) away - prices for arts & crafts and souvenirs are a fraction of the price in the hotel zone (for the same items).
We had made separate reservations (at different times each for a different night). We we arrived home we discovered that there was a payment for both nights and also for one night (in error) on our credit card. I emailed the hotel about the error (which was unintentional) and they informed me that they already noticed it and had put through a credit. They attached a copy of the credit slip. How remarkable is that!! While at the hotel the staff was always friendly and asked about our needs. We will stay here again and also recommend it to our travelling friends.
BTW a previous review suggest that there was no door on the bathroom - in fact the shower door when left in the open position was, in fact, the bathroom door, permitting privacy.

Room Tip: poolside rooms are nice
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank worldwoman
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I've stayed here twice now. Both times I've travelled in by bus from Valladolid late, stayed in this hotel overnight then caught the bus to the airport in the AM. The hotel is literally across the stree from the bus station, so you only need to drag your suitcase by 100ft or so. The staff are friendly. The restaurant is OK; pretty tasty food but uber slow service. It's OK if your not in a hurry. Both times I've stayed in the newer rennovated rooms, and both times I've been on my own, and all I can say is thank god for that. A word of warning. There is absolutely no privacy as far as using the toilet is concerned. It's right in the room, although I suppose you could say it's technically behind the shower. However, you sit there in your full glory open to the room. It's a little weird.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank KentM_321
Cancún
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Air condition filter was so clogged that air was not cooling everything else was perfect, restaurant great, the location was excellent, Maintenance should be more efficient for the Hotel and the clients, temperature is very hot

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Nevada, Iowa
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We decided on staying in Cancun city instead of the hotel zone. This hotel was in a very nice area of town, with great lots of really nice restaurants nearby. The hotel itself was very clean, the rooms were nice and very modern, staff friendly and serviceminded.
The restaurant was also a great choice for breakfast and lunch...Staying here is definitely a must instead of the boring hotel zone, that everithing is far from markets and everythings is more expensive, here in downtown you can find more things to do with a really good prices, the hotel its very good located in front of the bus station and you can take a bus to everywhere!

Room Tip: its better one of the second they are kindof new!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jhnn12c
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We vacationed in Cancun to celebrate my anniversary, we stayed in a hotel in the beach area right in the hotel zone, a day afther that we should take our flight back, we stopped migration to forget my visa, so my family request sent by messaging while my papers arrived my husband and I decided to stay at a downtown hotel, down the bus, we are opposite a hotel with a fountain that made us just what we needed for a couple of nights, on arrival the receptionist attended to very attentive and offered us a nice room side to the hotel pool area the price is affordable for a comfortable hotel, clean and safe. We surprised see a green area in the heart of the city, is like a secret garden within the hotel, all in the hotel were very friendly and helped us all to come home after a bad experience at airport immigration.
Hope to get back for my second anniversary to this hotel, we did not need to visit the archaeological site of Tulum Hotel and opposite the buses to this area. It is an excellent choice for the location and price.

Room Tip: you may ask for rooms on the 250 are nice and quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bartolomeo G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I tried to get an ADO bus from the airport but at around 8pm i couldn't see any at all. the staff in the airport at the information desk were unhelpful and told me i'd need a taxi which was 16 USD and that there were no buses, I was expecting to pay 4 USD for the bus so not a good start to my trip.the best thing about the hotel was its location, right opposite the bus station. the room itself was clean and spacious but offered little privacy, the shower area was enclosed within the room with partly frosted glass & a toilet hidden behind the shower but without a door, so we used an open shower door for privacy when using the toilet. we being my new travel companion on a group trip with Intrepid travel. need to ask for the AC remote control as this was already on when i got to the room which made the room v.cold, my companion had left the AC on therefore but didn't know how to switch it off. local shops nearby inc Oxxo for some pot noodles and stock up on snacks for the next leg of the trip the next morning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo