“no wonder no one knew where it was!”

Cancun Clipper Club
Ranked #80 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Mount Gilead, Ohio
“no wonder no one knew where it was!”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We got this room through my in-laws time-share. Cancun wasn't our top pick but it was the only thing available. We rented a car, so we weren't in a taxi or shuttle, so we spent nearly an hour driving the hotel zone looking for the Clipper Club. Every time we asked for directions we got different answers, no one seemed to know where it was. We happened to see it, it is at the end of an alley, behind a flea market. When we pulled up, we thought uh-oh. The landscaping hadn't been tended to in quite a long time, the lobby was very old and dated (think golden girls furniture, I like golden girls, but that was a long time ago). When we got to the room and we were really taken by surprise. The bedspreads were from the 70's or 80's, when I pulled them back they were all torn up inside. There was a gas stove, but the entire top was wrapped with aluminum foil, the knobs weren't marked so you didn't know if they were on or not until the smell of gas gave it away. The hairdryer prongs were bent and looked like they had gotten burned/melted. The beds were VERY hard. No balconies. The pool was decent, and the kids certainly had it to themselves. We were supposed to stay for 6 nights, but got out as soon as we could. When we checked out, we had to go back to the room with the maid to make sure we didn't steal anything, and to turn in the remote for the TV. We felt sorry for the people who had to work there; there are so many other beautiful hotels in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Timothy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I had debated booking based on the number of negative reviews, but it's OK, really.

For some reason that baffles me, people seem to have high expectations of this place. If you pay $60 a night, you're going to get a $60 dollar room.

The pool is fine and big, the property is generally well maintained, location is close to the action, staff was pleasant, the breakfast will do, rooms are quirky and a bit dated. But it was $60 a night, what more can one want at that price?

I wouldn't necessarily stay here long term, but if you're in town for just a night or two, it's a good option.

Room Tip: A south facing room will overlook the lagoon.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Neil_Travels
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This must be the worse place I've ever stayed in. I don't even know where to begin. The location is central but in order to get to hotel you have to go across this dirt parking lot with giant potholes and dilapidated buildings surrounding you. This place does not need renovations, it needs to be torn down and re-built completely.
The rooms are simply just ok. The bathroom ceilings are covered in mold, the plumbing underneath bathroom sink is all visible with holes here and there in the wall. The bathtubs are filthy and so old they need to be replaced badly. Everything in the bathroom is moldy, the caulk, the ceilings, the back of the doors. With such a humid climate they need to have a way for the humidity in the bathrooms to escape (there is no fan). The units with small kitchens are pretty functional but again, in much need of revamping or replacing.
If you travel on a low budget and are just looking for the very basics, this one is for you. If you are detail oriented and like the pretty stuff, do not stay here. You'll want to shower in your sandals!

Room Tip: No elevators here! Ask for a room with a kitchen and on a lower floor if you dont like climbing stai...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Nina1024

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2013

For starters the entrance to the hotel is through a public parking lot of an abandoned building. Had it not been for an ever present security guard I would not have felt safe going back at night. It was close to the nightlife, but not close enough, unlike other hotels. The food there was decent, family oriented location. However the place was falling apart, the paint on the bathtub was chipping right off, and my dad fell down the stairs when a railing fell off with him on it. It is on the lagoon side, not beach side, and you can't swim in the lagoon due to alligators. It was nice enough, but I wouldn't stay there again. Good bargain, but you can do much much better in Cancun.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jovan M
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This was a steal for a hotel! I would say it was perfect for family and young friends/couples. The Cancun Clipper Club is located right in the heart of downtown where all the action is, with a short bus trip (or taxi ride) to beautiful beaches. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay at this hotel again due to location. If you're not interested in shelling out hundreds of dollars for a five star hotel located right on the ocean (and far from the city/downtown life) then this location is perfect. Everything was within walking distance asides from the ocean. It was clean, quiet, comfortable, and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Heather N
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have been going to Cancun since 1994, I was introduced to Cancun Clipper Club the very first time I went away by myself through a travel agency. I loved the place so much I started going every year, it is not a high end hotel but comfortable and near everything. Every year I met people of all ages and from all over the world, and through the years we have a Cancun family which consists of about 50 people who go there every year at the same time, it is wonderful and lots of fun. I also met Families from Cancun which are the sweetest people you ever want to know and they are always smiling, Mexicans that I met are the best people I know, and of course my Cancun family is from all around the globe and we are in touch all the times, we even visit each other through the year, wonderful place and people.

Room Tip: All the rooms are basically the same, you know you are in Mexico. I myself like the rooms near the p...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dolfin2006
Granbury, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Great location only 2 min walk from the bus stop, c stores and restaurants in the Convention Center Zone. Very large pool and covered picnic areas. Good view of the lagoon. Ended up on the 4th floor with no elevator so, plenty of exercise that trip. The bellhop earned his tip.

Room Tip: Up to 4 stories with no elevator so consider that.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo