“Cheap as chips-you pay for what you get”

Cancun Clipper Club
Ranked #83 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We booked here as it was on the lagoon and where our dive guide took the boat from (not Scuba Fred who is the scuba diver linked to the Clipper Club. We used Luum Ha Divers who work from the same boat. I HIGHLY recommend Luum Ha Divers-please see the reviews posted on here as Alfredo and Fernando are just THE BEST). As this was convenient and we were mostly diving, the things that mattered to us that was that it was clean and cheap, two boxes it definitely ticks. If you are looking for somewhere which has a little luxury, a variety of food and night time entertainment, this is not the hotel for you. The hotel district itself is a little out of the way if you were looking for the variation in restaurants/nightlife. Also, as its the Hotel area, you will pay more for food unless you go to local, small places.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aimee Beth C

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We got this room through my in-laws time-share. Cancun wasn't our top pick but it was the only thing available. We rented a car, so we weren't in a taxi or shuttle, so we spent nearly an hour driving the hotel zone looking for the Clipper Club. Every time we asked for directions we got different answers, no one seemed to know where it was. We happened to see it, it is at the end of an alley, behind a flea market. When we pulled up, we thought uh-oh. The landscaping hadn't been tended to in quite a long time, the lobby was very old and dated (think golden girls furniture, I like golden girls, but that was a long time ago). When we got to the room and we were really taken by surprise. The bedspreads were from the 70's or 80's, when I pulled them back they were all torn up inside. There was a gas stove, but the entire top was wrapped with aluminum foil, the knobs weren't marked so you didn't know if they were on or not until the smell of gas gave it away. The hairdryer prongs were bent and looked like they had gotten burned/melted. The beds were VERY hard. No balconies. The pool was decent, and the kids certainly had it to themselves. We were supposed to stay for 6 nights, but got out as soon as we could. When we checked out, we had to go back to the room with the maid to make sure we didn't steal anything, and to turn in the remote for the TV. We felt sorry for the people who had to work there; there are so many other beautiful hotels in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Timothy B
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I had debated booking based on the number of negative reviews, but it's OK, really.

For some reason that baffles me, people seem to have high expectations of this place. If you pay $60 a night, you're going to get a $60 dollar room.

The pool is fine and big, the property is generally well maintained, location is close to the action, staff was pleasant, the breakfast will do, rooms are quirky and a bit dated. But it was $60 a night, what more can one want at that price?

I wouldn't necessarily stay here long term, but if you're in town for just a night or two, it's a good option.

Room Tip: A south facing room will overlook the lagoon.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Neil_Travels
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This must be the worse place I've ever stayed in. I don't even know where to begin. The location is central but in order to get to hotel you have to go across this dirt parking lot with giant potholes and dilapidated buildings surrounding you. This place does not need renovations, it needs to be torn down and re-built completely.
The rooms are simply just ok. The bathroom ceilings are covered in mold, the plumbing underneath bathroom sink is all visible with holes here and there in the wall. The bathtubs are filthy and so old they need to be replaced badly. Everything in the bathroom is moldy, the caulk, the ceilings, the back of the doors. With such a humid climate they need to have a way for the humidity in the bathrooms to escape (there is no fan). The units with small kitchens are pretty functional but again, in much need of revamping or replacing.
If you travel on a low budget and are just looking for the very basics, this one is for you. If you are detail oriented and like the pretty stuff, do not stay here. You'll want to shower in your sandals!

Room Tip: No elevators here! Ask for a room with a kitchen and on a lower floor if you dont like climbing stai...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Nina1024
Reviewed 12 August 2013

For starters the entrance to the hotel is through a public parking lot of an abandoned building. Had it not been for an ever present security guard I would not have felt safe going back at night. It was close to the nightlife, but not close enough, unlike other hotels. The food there was decent, family oriented location. However the place was falling apart, the paint on the bathtub was chipping right off, and my dad fell down the stairs when a railing fell off with him on it. It is on the lagoon side, not beach side, and you can't swim in the lagoon due to alligators. It was nice enough, but I wouldn't stay there again. Good bargain, but you can do much much better in Cancun.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jovan M
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This was a steal for a hotel! I would say it was perfect for family and young friends/couples. The Cancun Clipper Club is located right in the heart of downtown where all the action is, with a short bus trip (or taxi ride) to beautiful beaches. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay at this hotel again due to location. If you're not interested in shelling out hundreds of dollars for a five star hotel located right on the ocean (and far from the city/downtown life) then this location is perfect. Everything was within walking distance asides from the ocean. It was clean, quiet, comfortable, and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Heather N
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have been going to Cancun since 1994, I was introduced to Cancun Clipper Club the very first time I went away by myself through a travel agency. I loved the place so much I started going every year, it is not a high end hotel but comfortable and near everything. Every year I met people of all ages and from all over the world, and through the years we have a Cancun family which consists of about 50 people who go there every year at the same time, it is wonderful and lots of fun. I also met Families from Cancun which are the sweetest people you ever want to know and they are always smiling, Mexicans that I met are the best people I know, and of course my Cancun family is from all around the globe and we are in touch all the times, we even visit each other through the year, wonderful place and people.

Room Tip: All the rooms are basically the same, you know you are in Mexico. I myself like the rooms near the p...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends