“Great first night in Mexico”

Cancun Clipper Club
Ranked #82 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Nice area with a good Mexican restaurant and shops nearby. Really liked the rooms, nice and big and air conditioned. Our electricity didn't work but seeing as we were only there for one night it didn't bother us. Really enjoyed the pool, nice and relaxing with all the palm trees surrounding it.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor of one of the buildings which was difficult with all our heavy suitca...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked here because the conference at the conference center listed them as a choice. It was pretty cheap for cancun, so we were very happy that we got a "lagoon view room". Well, the rooms were spacious and comfortable, but lagoon... You need to look pretty hard to see it. If you are looking for a budget hotel, this is it. We were disappointed that there was no WiFi in the room, no elevators (we had to carry the luggage to the fourth floor). Breakfast is included, but it was terrible, to say the least. You need to pay 75 pesos to get a more decent breakfast. To get the Wifi, you need ot be in the lobby, which was very hot and uncomfortable.

I should say that though the Expedia terms did not allow us to cancel the reservation, the person at the desk agreed to. So I contacted Expedia and they called him and I got the refund. We moved to a substantially expensive, but one of the best, beachside hotel, Westin Lagunamar!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Want to explore Cancun and don't necessarily need a luxurious hotel to stay? This is your place. GREAT LOCATION next to tons of restaurants, transportation and nightlife. We stayed here while we explored the region, and then move to an all inclusive hotel to relax. The pool is really good, the location is incredible, and the hotel is really clean. However keep in mind, this place is an older timeshare. It needs a lot of upgrading, but it has everything you need, and more (kitchenette). The bed is hard, there are popcorn walls and ceilings, the restaurant is OK, but free wireless wi-fi throughout most of the hotel, friendly staff, nice pool, great views of the lagoon...and again great price and location. I would definitely stay here again, as long as I am not planning to stay in the hotel the entire time. Don't expect much...you didn't pay that much! Stay here, and explore Cancun.

Room Tip: Stay close to the Palapa for free wi-fi in your room (kitchenette area).
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rickurt
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks. I was very happy to have chosen this hotel. The room was spacious with a splendid view. There was everything what a guest needed:a fridge,microwave oven,coffee machine,spoons,forks,knives,plates,cups...I enjoyed staying at the hotel,I really felt at home..

Room Tip: a room with a lagoon view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lyudmilawestrik1972
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I booked the hotel online, check in time said 1pm, we showed up at 1 and was told that check in was 3pm. After I pointed out that the registry said 1pm the hotel clerk proceeded to insult me and point out that check out was 12pm and that I should be more logical and think that one hour was an impossible time to clean up. We originally booked two rooms and asked that they be next to each other, he said that was not possible and proceeded to only give me one room as the other was being cleaned but would be in a different story of the same building. All 6 of us walked into the room we were given and were disgusted by the smell of sewerage being expelled from the bathroom, after talking to the clerk he said it was the only room he had and therefore we had to take it. Leaving us with no choice we had to put up with the smell. We did have a full day of activities planned out for the next day so we didn't really stay much in the room. Hotel stay comes with complimentary breakfast which only consists of bread, fruit, coffee and orange juice. I've had better at least expensive hotels. Only good thing about this hotel is the location as is it a really close walk to clubs like Coco Bongo. Oh and they do have a nice pool

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank melchorm
Reviewed 30 May 2014

If you are on a budget, enjoy getting value for your money, want to boycotte large all-inclusive hotels, enjoy cooking yourself once in a while, while being in a spacious, clean apartment in a top location then this hotel is for you!

My partner and I only paid 600 euros p.p round trip for 16 days at this hotel including a flight from Amsterdam. For this reason only, I am simply not allowed to complain!

I'm a very picky traveler and am used to alot of luxury. Sure, Cancun Clipper Club isn't luxurious but the apartment room is spacious, tidy and extremely clean. You are located right in the center of places like Coco Bongo, Hard Rock cafe and the beach etc but you don't hear any of the party scene as the hotel is tucked away at the lagoon side.

Beds and pillows are great, there is enough storage for clothes/luggage, the kitchen is fully equiped with everything needed, fridge with ice cubes, lagoon view from window, shutters to divide the kitchen area from your bedroom. TV has some English channels.

Bathroom shower pressure is something you need to get used to..lets just say it will wash every bit of sand from your body in 5 seconds.

When it comes to the hotel atmosphere, don't expect much. I've been to places like Bali where local music is playing at the lobby, you're welcomed with a cocktail and a cold towel and you instantly feel like a princess. Haha put your expectations aside and don't expect any of that here.

It's all about your own attitude and how cozy you make your stay.

At first you might be shocked when you arrive at the lobby when your shuttle bus drops you off. Especially having dropped off people at fancy large all-inclusive hotels. You will pass a construction area that was possibly hit by a hurricane and the hotel lobby at Clipper Club needs a big make-over. I did see someone paint the purple walls white so I suppose this is all work in progress.

Everything is very simple and luckily for us it was very quiet end of May.

Initially I was terrified that this would be a low budget hotel that would attract crazy drunk teenagers. In reality there were local families chillin by the pool and a couple of Dutch couples late 20's early 30's.

We didn't make use of the restaurant as we enjoyed cooking ourselves and didn't want to gain weight on holiday. As I said the location is great. Most all-inclusive hotels are located outside town and its a hassle getting anywhere.

The bus stops right infront of the hotel and we went to Walmart for all our groceries.

The beach is also right across from the hotel, but skip it and take a bus to Playa Delfines. This is the best beach in Cancun if you ask me. Quiet, clean, beautiful for pictures (we saw alot of brides)..make sure to bring food and drinks, go to Oxxo across the street to grab a frappuccino and water before you go. :-)

The pool at the hotel was fine, but again it could use a touch up. Only used it twice as we went to the beach most of the time.

The gardens surrounding the hotel were pretty, great for an afternoon nap and watching the sunset by the boat area.

WiFi actually worked in our kitchen (yay) as we were located near the Palapa Ray wifi connection and if that didn't work we picked up the Clipper Saloon wifi instead.

Advice: don't be lazy, walk and/or take the bus! You don't need a taxi or rent a car at all here (we visited Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen and Tulum all by bus)

Don't pay in USD anywhere.. I don't know why some people are too lazy to just pay in Peso's. You will save so much more money acting like a local. The convertion rate to USD is much higher as well.

Do not book an all-incl. boat trip (600 pesos p.p) to Isla Mujeres take the ferry!! (22 USD) (sold across the street at Mocambo seafood retaurant) it's one big nightmare party on the boat, people puking, bad cocktails, then when finally arriving at the all incl. resort it turns out to be a primitive abandoned hotel, aweful food, loud music and constant entertainment through a mic, located at the wrong side of the island, hardly any time on the island as they leave at 3.45PM. Everything is organized and scheduled in groups. Luckily we received a refund and only paid a ferry fair.

In my opinion this hotel has great potential and could be a great 4-5 star boutique hotel if only they would give it a proper make over! It kinda reminded me of being in a Greek Santorini style room, but it was missing the finishing touches. My hands were itching to show the manager a redesign of what the hotel could look like. If anyone from management is reading this, feel free to contact me and I'll work with you on the redesign :-)

All in all we had a great value for money holiday and enjoyed the combination of relaxing and exploring.

PS: as for the weather.. it's Mexico and it will rain heavily from time to time. Don't sweat it, it usually only lasts from 6am till 11 am and hey, this way you'll appreciate sunny days even more and won't look like a sunburned lobster

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank kellisabeth
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

For the price it was definitely worth what you pay. Pool area is really nice but beds and pillows are really uncomfortable and no wifi in the rooms is inconvenient also. Location is great. Less than 5 min walk to the party street. A lot of people I spoke to on nights out had to get taxis to the beach and clubs so having everything on your door step is really easy. If I came again alone I would probably stay again but if I came with my partner I would spend a little more and go somewhere by the beach.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo