“BUDGET HOTEL ONLY”

Solymar Cancun Beach Resort
Ranked #139 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 22 August 2012

my self and husband just come back today7th aug 2012 from staying at solymar beach i read reviews 5 days b4 we went and did try to changed but was to late, we got there and did have some bad experiences i.e got a shock on socket, no hot water, no fridge,no wardrobe just a bar across in the bath room. after 3 days we spoke to manager he was very nice change our room, a lot better king size bed,wardrobe, good a/c, safe and most of all hot water. you cannot fault the staff they was brill with us and food was good for what you pay,if you didnt like what was served up in retaurant you could go down to the beach bar were they do burgers/hotdogs/nuggarts/fries very good. the beach was lovely.the hotel does need some tlc not saying it dosent but we paid £543 for 2 wks all inclusive and we did have a good holiday.we will go back there one day but you need a good room specially if you are taking children,and to be very careful on the beach waves come very fast red flags 4 danger a lot. if it wasnt for the staff i wouldnt go back but they are great and work very hard most of them 16hrs a day.also a lot of people dont no you have to pay a duty fee coming out of mexico which is very expensive £45.00BP or 785 pesos per person

Room Tip: ask for ground floor we found the one we had very good
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank josie d
There are newer reviews for Solymar Cancun Beach Resort

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We came back this morning from this shed that calls itself a hotel. Me and my wife have been there for the past fortnight 14/07/12 to 28/07/12. I cannot begin to tell you how bad this hotel is. We where both really excited and looking forward to a nice break in Cancun and this was our 1st time. I had read some of the reviews on here beforehand and thought well we will give it a go as maybe its not so bad, I wish I would have paid more attention to the bad reviews.

We had a 10 hour flight from Manchester and got picked up fine. We pulled up and straight away it just looked run down, the paint on the sign was faded and it just looked scruffy. There was 30 steps leading to the reception the last thing you need on your 1st day of a holiday so I lugged the cases up the stairs, there was a miserable receptionist who rang for the bell boy who eventually helped with our cases. They issued our room and we followed the bellboy to our room, along the corridor and down another flight of stairs, the corridors where scruffy and rubbish was spilling out the bins (see pictures), and then we came to what appeared to be a door frame with the door ripped out and yes again even more stairs, 2 flights to be exact all of this in 30 degree heat and after almost 11 hours of travel, great 1st impressions. We got in our room which at first didnt seem too bad but we looked in the bathroom and all the tiles where broken around the sink, the patio doors leading to the swimming pool had a broken lock it was completely snapped, we told the bell boy we could not stay in the room and it was not a 4 star room not even 1 star we complained and he told us to go back to reception so off we went with the cases and all the stairs, at this point my partner was so upset she broke down crying it was such a horrible way to start a holiday, we demanded that we get another room we where both so angry as we where told that the hotel was a 4 star hotel. The receptionist was not happy and was rude but we where fuming he told us initially that there was no ocean facing views available but after we gave him what for, suddenly one became available.

Again we set off up more stairs which thankfully led to a lift which took us to the top floor and yet again 2 set of stairs leading to our room, while the room was basic, nothing like on the website, the view of the ocean was amazing, I tried to be optimistic and tried to cheer my wife up by saying what an amazing view and we where so tired that we where beyond caring, there was a large hole over our bed, a socket was hanging off the wall and the ceiling tile in the shower was hanging off (see pics) we just accepted things and tried to chill out.

There was 2 bars the website says that there are 3, the one in the reception area was never used, there was one on the beach which was only open between 11 and 5pm which only served beer and sickly sweet cocktails, the other bar was next to the pool and that did stay open until about 11. Most times you would wait on average up to 10 to 15 minutes to be served as normally there was only 1 barmaid serving and drinks where served in foam cups including beer and wine. To be fair the bar girl was friendly it was not the her fault that they would not pay for more staff.

Food, there was 1 "restaurant" this was in the middle of the swimming pool, there was about 15 tables serving upto 100 guests, the tablecloths where always dirty, people would walk away and leave food on the tables as there was nowhere to place used plates, there was little cutlery we where reduced to stirring our tea with a knife and eating food with a dessert spoon and knife (see pics), they had again one girl who would clean up, collect cutlery, clean tables, I felt sorry for her, for breakfast we mainly had omelet which stopped when they ran out off eggs normally 45 minutes from 7.00 am, lunch was hit and miss mainly pasta, we had dinner there one night and it was foul there was something that slightly resembled "chicken" in a sloppy sauce that appeared to be more bone than meat, someone complained about blood in there chicken, I have seen better slop on American Prison documentaries, we ate out for most of the holiday even though we had paid for all inclusive.

Back to the room, we had tiny bugs that covered most of the surfaces, the air conditioner broke one night, there was power but it was not cold, they never had an on site maintenance man and they sent a security guard to take a look which was a joke, I asked for a fan which they supplied as my partner was full of flu and at night it was so hot, they supplied a fan on condition that we return it to reception at 7.00 am the next morning, it was a joke and I was so angry and refused so they gave in, all of this which was meant to be a 4 star hotel

My partner was crying most of the time it was so bad, the corridors, the surroundings it was embarrassing getting dropped off their, enough was enough we had it this was meant to be a holiday but it was so depressing we where completely missold, the night-life was great the beach was great, all be it the same beach that stretches the full length of the hotel zone, but staying in that hotel ruined our holiday we went to speak to the manager as we wanted to vent steam and we where told we could arrange a meeting with the hotel manager, this was the 2nd to last day and she was very nice and she apologised and she explained that she would take our complaint on board and she offered us an alternate room which was pointless as we only had 2 days left, I wanted to confirm what star rating the hotel was classed as, she told us that it was a 4 star but had gone down to a 3 star, even though the sign outside, the web site, the band all have 4 stars, she said they would pay for a trip but we never had the time and we had already arranged for a night out which she offered to pay for, which we agreed to, she suddenly went from being the hotel manager, to being the stand in manager, which when I asked could we speak to the manager but he/she was not available, this then took at least 3 hours to sort out and she kept disappearing and was really evasive but we get a night out which was something I suppose.

I am so fed up, we where so looking forward to this trip and I would recommend that if you have booked this hotel, cancel and change hotel, it may be budget but budget does not mean filthy and sub standard it was a disgrace and I hope that this review puts off one person or maybe more as I can guarantee if you have booked this dump you WILL be disappointed, how the hell this shed could be classed as 3-4 whatever star is beyond me it needs to be shut down its not fit to be called a hotel

Room Tip: stay in another hotel
Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank simmian
Reviewed 29 July 2012

i booked this hotel by the 4 star rating and there pics and description ,it sounded everythink i was looking for but turning up at this hotel was shocking that i burst out crying . i had a 2 weeks off hell staying at this dump, trust me believe what you read on this hotel, 4 star lol this hotel should not be open and needs to be close down. the photos are not what you get at all...the desciption stays ....beauiful foyer??? hahaha i didnt see one it was a hole..it also said shops,there was only one shop?? it also said hair salon??? i never seen one??it says it was renovated in 2002 but it didnt say it was badly renovated .there was about 15 sunbeds only on the beach and the same round the pool and you had to fight to get one off them..on the beach were only 5 panasols and none by the pool..the day we pulled up at this hotel we were greeted by 22 steps after 11 hour flying this is not a nice welcome plus no one there to greet us never mind help us..the reception is so dated and dirty ..i started crying just asking for my key with what i just show off the reception,we were giving our key by the rude reception bloke and was taking to our room..just walking down the nasty dirty corridors along with really bad door leading into other rooms with holes in them and rushing lighting .we were took down what looked like a dungeon which lead to our room..i really could not believe what i was seeing??? the floor was nasty and dirty..holes in all the walls. the doors did not have locks on at all and this is on the ground floor facing the pool, the bathroom had a smashed up sink , bugs everywhere..hairs were even growing out the walls,plugs hanging off the walls..it was unreal..how they really think that it was fit enough for guest to stay in is beyone me. we went straight back to reception after dragging all our cases up stairs again and i really kicked off staying it was not fit for animals never mind people..after me kicking off infront off ever they moved us to a different room on the top floor facing the sea which had a beautiful view but yet again ,plugs were hanging off the walls,holes in the walls,the floor was a lot better..but bugs everywhere even in our bed ..we again went back to reception and ask for a other room only to be told they were fully booked hahahahaha..anyway we wernt getting anywhere and just went back to our pit off a room has we were soo tired from the flight..we asked for water only to be told the shop was closed and to go to the the bar for a glass off water...they only had the one bar which was round the pool with about 10 stools and no lighting in the night ,they didnt have tables and chairs and only one bar tender on the bar on each shift after waiting 45 mins a time for a drink in your foam cups...yes your beer,wine cocktails came in these cups even in what they call a restaurant... the bar in reception was not used,and the one at the beach was only open till 5 with 4 tables to fight over.."the food"...breakfast was ok but you had to eat it with a knife and a spoon has there was never forks if you were lucky to get one it was a pastic fork or knife ,not even tea spoons..they had tea bags but no hotwater or milk?? ,the cups are dirty plus they only had about 12 tables in the only "" restaurant"" if you want a clean table you had to clean it your self and they dont do pepper..and drinks are served in foam cups.and the food was stone cold and not much to choice from..its minging the whole place is minging..we went all inc and we spent a extra £1300 has we eaten out every day cause its not fit for people to eat in this place..the beach food bar was ermmmmmmmmmmm ok but only if you ran and got it soon has the chef took it down there has its the only time it was hot,,then after that u have to eat it cold topped with flys..the 4 tables down there with dirty all the time with left overs still on them and yet again you had the clean them your self....a young girl about the age off 7-8 did a poo down but the food beach bar and her mother came and moved the young girl and left the poo there..we couldnt believe what we were seeing ..2 hours later it was still there..the whole place is a joke only for me going out everyday and night i would off committed suicide has i cryed everynight returning to this hotel making sure no one seen me walking into this dump...im sooo upset by being lied to by this hotel and there joke off pictures haha has its not what you get. we took loads off pics off what this dump of what it really looks like and i will do my best to see this place closed down..it didnt seem to bother the mexicans there has there were lots off them which took over the knee high green pool till about 11 at night with no lighting in the pool also smashed up tiles round it..if you took a pic off the hotel from out room it didnt look bad what what you will find behide them walls will shock you...we even seen so many people booking into this hotel only be be booking straight back out..i guess we were the only fools to live like this for 2 weeks. we woke one night jst to be covered in little bugs sharing our bed and i end up ill due to crying all the time and not getting anywhere with the managers in there but only one free night out has she new how bad her hotel was.. we didnt really spend any time in this hotel..only when we went back to sleep with our bugs...our room was cleaned everyday but not once got clean sheets..the beach is lovely with the turtles but just watch out for poo and all the foam cups blowing around on it. the toilets are shocking with dirty paper all over the place and they smell..the pool was never cleaned and looked disgusting to swim in and the one little shop which sold?????? nothing really?? our air con broke and we had to argue just to get a fan to keep us cool has it was soo hot..i really can go on and on over this dump..some staff were lovely but most off them were rude even the hotel manager said that some off the photos they show are not off there hotel... what was suppose to be a dream hoilday turned into a hoilday from hell but cancun is a beautiful place and i will defo go back but stay in a 5 star..night life is brill but very pricey..just stay away from this hotel unless you live like a animal yourself cause this hotel has no shame in them...it needs closing and i will do my best to see this happening...never again lies lies lies and dont be fooled by the pictures off this hotel cause its not what you get..its what you get behide them walls will shock you x

Room Tip: just dont stay here and pay the extra for a 5 star
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank princess1974
Reviewed 25 July 2012

one word, SHOCKING!!!! If anyone is remotely tempted to book this hotel then seriously DONT do it, its the most awful hotel ive ever stayed in, everything about it was shockingly bad. I never moan about hotels but this one is the exception. Please listen to all the bad reviews because they are all telling the truth on this place. The only good thing about it is the beach and the location. Cancun is a beautiful place and is worth spending a little extra to get a nice hotel!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank louisa s
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I am actually currently in Cancun and checked into Solymar on July 23, 2012. I Checked out less than 24 hours later due to the conditions. Upon arriving we had to carry our luggage up at least 20 stairs while at least 5 greeters watched us from below. We arrived to our room where the air conditioning did not work. We spent at least 6 hours trying to get it fixed or move to another room and we were told they had no open rooms. When we finally began to smell an electrical smell coming from the unit, they quickly moved us to another room which I guess quickly, somehow became available. In the new room we found mold in the shower, no toilet seat, the shower head was aimed at the wall and rusted, the fridge was rusty and moldy, and the air conditioning was barely cool. In the second room that we were renting for the week, we were a group of 5, the cold water didn't work and the safe was broken. We were promptly told by one of the staff to use the safe because the housekeepers steal! WiFi didn't work, the manager was rude, the food was not edible and looked like slop, everything was brown and liquid, things were warm like they had been sitting out for a long time. We were going to order pizza and we were told the phones were broke even though the phones were ringing off the hook in the office, so we didn't get to eat anything for dinner. We went to Walmart and got donuts for breakfast and when we woke up to eat the boxes were full of ants. The TV was only in Spanish and all the buttons on the extremely outdated tv were broke off. Bed springs were poking through the mattress, there was mold on the ceiling in the shower. We had to walk to another resort to exchange money because the hotel was 'out'. The cold water in the sink didn't work. The bartenders did not speak any English and when asked for anything other than Pepsi, they people would just walk away and completely ignore you. While in the pool, which did not smell at all like chlorine, you could not even see your feet due to the floaters and algae. Totally disappointing and gross first day of vacation. I had to pay for a new resort and I am going to fight through the traveling agency for my money back for the six days I paid for. Would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. I also talked to a resident who lives in a condo near by and she said the hotel is disscusting and the owner is actually at the moment incarcerated. This hotel should be shut down immediately.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank chrapete
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I recently stayed in Nancy and Larry's penthouse unit (#3807), and once again had a fabulous stay. Solymar doesn't have the glitz and glamour of some of the other big all inclusive resorts, but in my opinion, that's a good thing. There are no crowds, no lines, and you are free to do things at your own pace. The unit has a full kitchenette, and a quick trip to Walmart will provide you with everything you need. The private terrace is one of the best attributes of the unit. It's great for BBQ'ing, watching the sun go down over the lagoon, or just grabbing some rays in a quiet and private setting. The unit is clean, and the king size bed is very comfortable. The condo is located directly on the beach, and it's just a quick bus trip to downtown. I'll certainly be returning to Solymar once-again for my next trip to Cancun.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank sinnes
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I'm an optimist. Despite reading all the bad reviews the price swayed me and I told myself that only the unhappy ones write reviews, that there must be some good things about this place. Well I should have listened to all the other posters. One good thing came of it... it was so bad it was funny!
Upon check in, our lagoon view room was tiny and not clean. The view from the balcony.. well we could barely seen the lagoon in the far distance as we were over a parking lot and maintenance building. To the hotels credit they did "upgrade" us to an ocean view room. This room was still pretty bad. The door didn't open well, one had to hip check it as it wasn't level with the floor, upon entering we immediatly checked for bugs, thank goodness no bed bugs. I did however rip the top cover off the bed as it was very obviously filthy and probably had not been washed since it's purchase. The sheets seemed ok. I did bribe the staff the next day to ensure clean ones and I know there were changed. The walls had large and crumbling holes in them, the ceiling was falling in where the curtains hung, they did not close all the way and were held closed by a pin. There was a chair in the room and we would not even place anything on it, never mind sit in it as it was nasty. The patio doors barely locked and the pad lock was broken. Security was not important to them obviously. The flat screen tv...well ok the screen was flat but it was from the 80's, a giant tube type tv. No remote even after we asked several times. The buttons on the tv did not work either, it was iffy if the channel would change or the volume would go up or down. We had to use a pen to operate them as the button covers had long ago fallen off. There was no hair dryer as promised in the room, but there was a hole in the wall where it was supposed to be. The fan in the bathroom made a screeching noise and unfortunately it was linked to the light, so we either had to endure the screech or use the bathroom in the dark. The shower had one faucet that worked and it was iffy if we would get hot or cold water. They did have a working safe in the room, too bad we couldn't crawl into it to feel safe ourselves. Our ocean view by the way was obstructed by the buffet building and could not be seen although technically our room was facing the ocean.
The buffet.. we ate dinner there once in 5 days. So much for saving some money by going to an all inclusive. It was nasty. Hot dog wieners in fake cheese sauce?! Really?! Soggy warm salad.. The breakfast however was good.
You should know, even though the picture shows two pools, one is a wading pool for the kids, it's about a foot deep.
Also, 90% of the staff doesn't speak English, even asking for a diet coke was difficult.
We ended up listening to a time share presentation at a 5 star for the opportunity to spend a day at their resort.
Sorry folks, this one really is as bad as everyone says. Spend a couple more bucks and stay somewhere nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple