“Knock this place down and start again”

Solymar Cancun Beach Resort
Ranked #141 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Ok we only paid £50 per night each for the two nights we stayed here so we weren't expecting much for that on an all inclusive basis. We expected the food to be average at best and no frills. However, we were not expecting the pool bar to be taped off, broken doors and the most musty and old rooms you could imagine.

This hotel is a complete and utter toilet and looks like something that would have been built in Spain when package holidays first began.

The only thing this place has going for it is that it sits on a beautiful stretch of beach. As such it should be flattened and a hotel worthy of the location constructed in it's place.

In all fairness the food in the restaurant wasn't bad. It was by no means great, but not bad. The alcohol on the other hand was a complete joke. Perhaps the worst beer I have ever tasted in my life and the. Spirits tasted revolting.

Do yourself a favour and pay a little more to stay somewhere else. I'm just thankful we only spent two nights here!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank EvertonBluenose
There are newer reviews for Solymar Cancun Beach Resort

Reviewed 26 June 2013

After checking this place out on Hotwire and Trip Advisor we booked it. Sevice is bad. Wireless is bad quality, only works intermittently and only in the actual lobby. First room was dilapidated leaking plumbing, low quality beds, cabinets without handles. This is a resort???!! Like a last resort maybe!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Mike M
Reviewed 15 May 2013

From my experience solymar was ok but u cant really expect much from a 3*** hotel, the main thing was that all the staff at solymar were great, especially Victor Vaca his customer service skills were great he knew how to speak fluent english which was a great help for us because we didnt speak a word of spanish, i would definately go back, if you dont expect too much then you wont be dissapointed for sure

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank preety k
Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 11 nights in February. It was the cheapest hotel in Cancun and the only way we could afford the holiday. We were pleasantly surprised when we checked in. Our rooms were large with 2 double beds, the bathroom clean and a free safe. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially the guy that sorts out entertainment, he set up some great days/nights out for us. The food was ok, some nights better than others. Pool and beach were lovely and never too busy.......the bar's not the kind of place you can spend an evening though! It is far along the hotel zone but very easy and cheap to jump on a bus. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Victoria G
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I have stayed in many types of hotels, from 5 star Hotels like Omni to Motel 6. My mom booked this trip as a girls weekend and after reading the reviews, I was not going with high expectations, but I also know some people do exaggerate. However, in the case of this hotel, all the reviews WERE NOT an exaggeration!!!! This has been the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. They charged you a $1 to make a local call and you had to make it from the lobby. If you are a "local" they would only charge you $10 pesos, which saves you about $2 pesos. The TV in the room had no buttons and there were no remotes, unless you went to the lobby to rent one. We were "upgraded" to a suite, however it was NOT an upgrade and I am afraid to see what our original room looked like. They charged $20 for the lunch buffet, which had the WORST FOOD I have ever had! And that's saying something since I work for a university and cafeteria food is not great! The staff was rude even to those of us who were considered "nationals." I tried getting a cup of ice, however I was quickly informed that ice was sold by the cup. The hotel served its purpose since my family and I went off to excursions on all the days, however if you are looking for a nice hotel to relax in, look elsewhere. I was informed at the airport during a brief survey I did of my visit, that this hotel was the worst of the hotel zone. There was even a broken down car in the parking lot. Nice view of the ocean, but this area is also the choppy part of the beach and on some days; dangerous to swim in. The towels were disgusting and you had to turn in your key to the lobby to get housekeeping to clean the room.

Overall, the room served its purpose. We only slept there and explored the Rivera Maya all day until the late part of the night. However, when I come back I will be staying somewhere else! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Maggie V
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Visited Cancun to celebrate my mom's birthday. As soon as I saw the reception I had a bad feeling. I got a regular metallic key for the room. My first thought was like wow. They don't have electronic locks. They had an employee to take us to our room and set up the PIN for the security box without us asking him. I didn't like that. The furniture looked old, the air conditioner didn't work. They had an old TV the ones like boxes not flat TV and no remote. Called the front desk in order to let them know what we got. Waited few minutes and then decided to go outside. It was like an oven in the room. Got changed to go to the pool and stopped by the reception with our list. We asked him if we could get a different room because the guy at the front desk didn't know how long it would take to get things fixed. He sent another guy to show us another room which looked nicer and in front of the pool. We loved that. The air conditioner worked but there was a black box on the wall where you could only turn it on or off. There was no way to adjust the temperature according to what we wanted. The glass door to the balcony didn't close and there was no way to lock it. We decided to keep our valuable things with us the whole time. There was not safety in the room. After coming back from the pool and while taking a shower we had another pool in the shower about 3 -4 inch deep. We talked with the staff about all this. they seemed nice but the facilities were horrible. I travel a lot with the company I work for and they always work with Marriott. I felt so horrible for my parents. I wanted them to have the best vacations and my mom her best birthday present. Next time I will go with Marriott.
Ohh Forgot to mention that we got OLD YELLOW TOWELS. You could see that they were breaking apart. They gave us a voucher to get the towels and if we didn't return they we were going to be charged $25 for each. WHAT A JOKE. Those were worst than rugs to mop floors!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Erendygm
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We rented a privately owned condo from Nancy Cousins from 24 - 29 March 2013 and truly enjoyed the experience. What people have to understand is that this resort has different options available within it: hotel, all-inclusive resort, and renting from private owners of individual units. Having both read all the poor reviews on here AND after meeting a number of people who were there while we were but who had chosen the all-inclusive option, I can say with confidence that RENTING FROM A PRIVATE OWNER IS THE WAY TO GO. Our friends who chose the all-inclusive complained about the food and alcohol quality while our unit was kitchenette equipped which allowed us to cook our own meals and keep our own alcohol cold. Generally, we made our own breakfasts and lunches and went out for dinner. On top of that the rooms were nice and clean and, at least with Nancy, she provides you with good info regarding the bus system, restaurants, and how to get to and from the airport. The beach in front of the resort is exactly the same as any other resort with the exception of being less populated, which to us was a plus. If you want busy just walk a few hundred meters either way. The beaches in Mexico are federally (government), not privately, owned by each resort so this is entirely fine to do.

Again, SOLYMAR is a great option if you chose to rent from a private owner. We found Nancy via Kijiji.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple