“Beautiful Beach, Nice location, Wonderful Staff”

Occidental Tucancun
Ranked #40 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I was skeptical at first because of the room they placed my girlfriend and I in but then I made a deal with the representative at the front desk and got the top floor oceanfront room for 80% off. From there it was a very nice stay. The food could have been better at the buffets but the food at the restaurants was good. The staff worked very hard and we're really nice. The beach was amazing but the water was rough which was my only concern. Overall a great place to stay!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for choosing Barceló during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.

We are very happy to know you had an amazing time with us, we would feel very honored to welcome you again so please let us know about your next trip, to make it even better

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The only thing I would like to say is about the air conditioning, the rooms facing the lagoon, the air conditioning is very noisy and not let you sleep; and rooms facing the sea, the air conditioning did not work well; but the service throughout the hotel is excellent, housekeeping, staff working in restaurants,(especially all waiters in restaurants), bars, pools area............ well everywhere in general, the food very well. I go back again with my entire family.

Room Tip: A room w/good A/C
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank francisco g
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to record your feedback here on Tripadvisor. I appreciate the time and consideration for other travelers you have taken in sharing your opinions on the areas of the hotel that you enjoyed and those areas of which you feel that we could use improvement.

I hope you give us the oportunity to host you again in the near future

kind regards’

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Overall I really enjoy staying at the Barcelo Tucancun. I feel like it is small enough that the staff get to know you and feel more like family. The hotel is also in a good place for shopping, catching buses, or just walking to a nearby restaurant if you so choose. Everything is easy access and close.

I cannot say enough about the beautiful beaches at this hotel. I love to take walks, swim and watch for the sea turtles.

The hotel is clean and the rooms are very comfortable. I have stayed on the 3rd and 6th floors as well as a villa. If possible, I would recommend the villa; it sits right on the beach and is easy access to the restaurants, pools and spa. One con I have about the hotel is that the elevators are extremely slow. I would end up taking the stairs most times, but other than that, it is very comfortable and nice.

Specials thanks to the following people at the hotel:

It is always a pleasure to see Gonzalo, Luis and Will at arrival and departure of the hotel. They answer questions, are helpful and always smiling. Sara is great and makes sure we are taken care of during our stays. The front desk is responsive and I’ve generally had good interactions with all of them.

If you are going to be around the pool Antony, Manuel and Lorenzo are great bartenders. I have to give a huge thanks to Edgar R who checked on me, talked and brought me great drinks all day at the pool during my visit in July. Marcos A is another one that deserves some praise. He took great care of me and friends in October. He has a great smile, helped me translate and was fun to be around. We had a group of about 10 that he took excellent care of.

In the restaurants, I have to say thank you to Carlos C, Jose, and Gabriel. All of them are very friendly, remember us each time and make sure we enjoy our meals and drinks.

For the entertainment, Gustavo has such a good rapport with people. Whether it’s around the pool during the day or the shows at night, he really gets the crowds going and ensures a good time. Angel, Michelle and Jamie are also excellent and keep everyone included and having fun. They are all sweet and bring a good energy to the day and evening activities.

If you want to take any tours/excursions, you have to go see Manuel. He works with Best Day in the hospitality area and is a great resource. He knows all the tours, explains everything in detail and is a sweet person. He will make sure that you have a great adventure!

I have met many new friends during my visits to the Barcelo. It is a great place to stay and the people, views, and beaches will keep you coming back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Andrea H

Dear Andrea H

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our trip was from 7/14-7/18. The hotel was ok, and I wish I could give it 2.5 stars. We did not get the rooms we booked and there was no changing the rooms. Our room's air conditioner did not work well and they did not fix it. As it was tolerable, we did not fight it. The food was good, and the staff at each restaurant were lovely. Our in room fridge was never restocked, we had to call down every day. The front desk staff leave much to be desired. We were a party of 6 under one reservation but were made to wait back in line to check into the second room! Manuel at the hospitality desk was great! Make sure you see him as he booked us for tours that were sold out. Check out was a nightmare! Over 25 minutes waiting to checkout because there was a huge line to check in. Now checkin is 3pm and check out was by 12 noon. Instead of helping those trying to catch their flights, they were catering to those who spoke Spanish first. As I was standing there in line, another person comes out and stated in Spanish "I can help Spanish speaking customers over here". I know for a fact we were not the only group of non-Spanish speaking people who felt second rate here. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. If you are on a tight budget, this all inclusive might be what you need to getaway. If you can afford a little more, find another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jeong K

Dear Jeon K

Customer’s feedback is very important to us. I have reviewed this claim regarding your recent trip to our hotel and I am deeply sorry that you encountered issues during your stay.
I assure you that all departments involved on this claim where well informed about it, corrective measures and evaluation will be taken.
Once again, I reiterate our apology on this matter and hope to have an opportunity to change this bad impression and regain your confidence on a future vacation.

Please don´t hesitate to contact me for any further comments.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

From day one this hotel has been amazing. The staff is so friendly and helpful. The restaurants serve delicious food all day. And the hotel room is awesome. I had to contact the front desk for more coffee for the next day and never needed to call anymore for the week. They go out of their way to please you and ensure that your stay is everything you need it to be. I look forward to another trip very soon!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room and the view was spectacular.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank lewjr
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments, we are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and we are delighted to have met your expectations.

We are glad you enjoyed our activities, since we work really hard to make sure our guests have an amazing time with us Also, it is gratifying to receive such great comments regarding our staff; we will surely congratulate them for their job.

Hope to see you again on your next visit to Cancun.

Best regards.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed at the Barcelo Tucancun for a much too short birthday holiday from the 8th to the 11th of July. Don't believe every review you read about this place but take the opportunity to make your own judgment! My experience at this hotel will make me a repeat visitor to this property! Food really good at the specialty restaurants, room spacious and extremely clean with an amazing balcony and view (5003), staff for the most part friendly and accommodating (big kudos and saludos to Olivia at the front desk and Antonio the best bartender)! Is the property a 5 star? No it isn't. If you're looking for a nice, clean smaller hotel with one of the most beautiful beachfront locations one will ever see then this is the place to visit. The only negative comment to make is for the duration of my stay my minibar was never refilled, though I asked twice.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank ALAMOCITYBOY
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Guest

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were 6 in total, we went with our friends. We had an awesome time. The service was expectacular. We met an awesome team they were like our family. It was ester, Mercedes, Omar, lala, angel, fanny, rozy, Antonio, Guillermo, Alberto, Felix, Rafael. They were super awesome. I definitely recommend this hotel for a fun vacation with friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2014