“DIRTY, FILTHY PLACE!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Kansas City, Missouri
“DIRTY, FILTHY PLACE!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

I hate to write a bad review, but I know a ripoff when I see one, and this my friends is a complete and total RIPOFF!!!!!!!! I believe, THE GOOD REVIEWS ARE WRITTEN BY THE OWNERS AND THEIR FRIENDS/FAMILY. My family and I were excited to have a nice little get away. When we saw pictures of the Villas Marlin, we were sold! The rooms looked really nice and clean and a lot of the reviews made us trust we were going to the right place. When we arrived, we were stunned! Please note** We are by no means "hoytie toytie" or snobby, but this place is a complete disaster/dump! For starters, as soon as we walked into the room, we were greeted by intense humidity that was the equivalent of a sauna. As we walked through the rooms, nothing looked like it had been cleaned or updated in quite some time! There were stains all over the bed spreads, the closet door was ripped off the hinges, electrical wires hanging out of the walls in the closets, the back of the toilet was duct tapped back together. The sheets and towels were old and worn out, some with holes. Nothing looked like it had been cleaned, the kitchen counter tops were infested with bugs, if you looked closely at the floor, the bugs were all over the floors as well. When we walked out to our "beach view" we were distracted by a dirty roof with a huge air conditioning unit that was sitting right in front of us. We brought dinner back and ate before looking for a hotel as the condition of this place would ruin a long awaited vacation, (IT WAS THAT BAD)!!!!. When we got back to the table, around 10-15 minutes later, bugs were all over our food and in our drinks. That was the last straw for us, as we packed up our belongings and left for a hotel, which turned out to be the best decision we ever made!!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Carol M
OracleVandT, Manager at Villas Marlin, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Vilas Marlin is a Condo Complex, not a hotel, with Villas being rented by 3 Management companies and many individual owners. This review does not reflect on all of properties available for rent. It is suggested that BEFORE you rent Villa here you scan the reviews and choose a management company or owner that has received reviews that detail the types of service and accommodations you are looking for.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
somerset, ky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

I honestly don't understand how this place got such great reviews. My husband and I are well traveled people so condo rentals are nothing new to us. As always, I read reviews of other travelers before booking a reservation. As such, this is how we ended up atVillas Marlin. My family (husband, 18month old girl, & mother) and four friends rented villa 511 for 7 nights last week. It had been raining a couple of days before we arrived and would continue to rain for two more days after we arrived. Upon arrival Alvin showed us the villa and mentioned that because it had been raining for the last couple of days, we would probably see some "ants" if we were not diligent about keeping crumbs swept up and to make sure the kitchen stayed clean at night. We were diligent and while we never saw a single “ant” during our stay, we saw and killed several cockroaches! The first night alone I sighted three and this was before we brought any food or groceries into the house! When I emailed Alvin to tell him this he replied by saying that "the rain will bring in all kinds of bugs". We ended up putting all our pantry items and seasonings in zip lock bags to keep the bugs from getting into them at night. We even left the kitchen lights on at night as Alvin suggested, but those bugs didn't care they came out in broad daylight too. The villa itself, at first glance, looks very nice, but upon closer inspection it did not look very clean. The livingroom sectional had stains all over it and had a couple of small rips in the upholstery. There was a sponge in the kit sink that looked like it had been over-used for many purposes. I washed everything in the kitchen closets and drawers in hot water before using it. There wasn’t a single bath rug in the house for stepping onto after coming out of the shower. Not even a small towel to step onto! The jetted tub in the master bath did not look like it had been cleaned in a while. None of us wanted to soak our bodies in it. The vanity lights in the master bath and bedroom were completely destroyed and nonoperational. There were no towel racks or hooks to hang wet towels on. Same went for the bathroom upstairs. We ended up hanging our bathing and beach towels on closet doors and broken light fixtures and over stair railing. The windows in the livingroom and masterbedroom leaked terribly due to the high winds we had in the first couple of days we were there. I woke up Sunday morning to find puddles of water in the livingroom of which I almost slipped and fell. My 18 month old slipped in the master bedroom because water had leaked through the bedroom window. We had to use what few towels we had in the villa and some of our sheet s to clean the water up. I immediately emailed and left messages for Alvin and Fernando to let them know of our emergency and that we needed new towels . (At least we found a good use for the jetted tub in the master bedroom--where we dumped all the wet towels and sheets. ) We later discovered that the livingroom window had an outside shutter that could be pulled over the window to prevent further water from blowing into the livingroom. It would have been nice if someone could have mentioned that valuable bit of info so as to prevent further water from entering the livingroom. The villa website said the kitchen was fully equipped. Not so, the toaster did not work (and was never replaced even though I emailed Alvin about it), the toaster oven worked but it had a dirty tray inside of it. When I first turned it on, one good sized cockroach crawled out of it. When I first arrived to the villa, I quickly assessed that I did not have enough cookware. Fernando was kind enough to track down some additional pots & knives for me. The only other positive thing I have to say about this place is that the pool areas were nice. However it would have been nicer if the jacuzzis were heated. The ocean was beautiful, but the beach itself was dirty with trash, debris, and seaweed from all the rainy weather we had been experiencing. However, when we went two bus stops down to the beach at the Marriott (after the storms passed) , we could tell they had cleaned their beach of much of the debris from the storms. The beach at Marlin stayed dirty the whole week we were there. In summary even if everything else had been perfect, the fact that the place was crawling with cockroaches is enough for me to say NEVER EVER AGAIN!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank KYcamgirl
OracleVandT, Manager at Villas Marlin, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
I will only say here that we had unresolved issues with this client, and as a guest, it is possible to use this review forum as leverage in a client/owner dispute. As you can see from a review of the same Villa 2 reviews up, the issues with the property as stated in the review did not exist. My suggestion is that with ANY property, you read as many reviews as possible.....the truth will be born out by volume of either positive or negative reviews.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Villas Marlin is the place to stay for everyone!!!! We just spent 8 days and 7 nights here for a 3rd time.The staff is great and will help with what ever your needs may be! I even left my wallet their and got back to USA and called and they made sure I got it back!!!!!!! Thanks is like you their family in their home. Great location and outstanding people!!!!!!!!!!!!! We going back 3 more weeks in 2012 and will only go of we stay here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room!!!!! we stayed in 3 different and all outstanding
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank kimmy1911
surrrey bc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

We went to this place and expected a nice clean quiet place.
Rather their was construction all day long nearby and guys always around gawking at us and making my wife feel unsafe.
The staff is creepy and seemed they were always looking for a handout.
The place is old and outdated in need of a complete renewal.
The rates are that of a five star luxury all inclusive resort.
Very low quality...not recommended to anyone!!!!!

I

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank chuck n
OracleVandT, Manager at Villas Marlin, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Although this person did not rent one of the apartments in our rental pool, I feel compelled to apologize for the bad experience they had here. I live right across the hall from where the renovation project is in process and I will agree 100% the noise is EXTREMELY annoying. But, in the next sentence they say the apartment they rented was in need of a complete renewal. The apartment NEXT to theirs was in the process of of just such a renewal.

This is not the usual situation a renter here will experience, but there is no one to blame. It is within an owners right to renovate their property and as long as he obtains the correct approvals, it is within his rights. The owner who rented them the apartment could not have known such construction was to take place...especially since most rentals are made months in advance.

Renting from the owner of a single apartment precludes the owner from moving a renter to a different apartment in these cases. When renting from a rental pool with multiple units this problem is not an issue.....if a renovation starts renters can be moved to an apartment away from the renovation.

As far as feeling unsafe, I believe if you read ANY of the other 116 reviews, this is not an issue here. I live directly across the hall and have noticed no such gawking or even interest that is inappropriate by the workers there ....and I would have noticed with three women in my family unit. Not sure what is at issue with regards to that comment.

Lastly, I believe the reviews speak for themselves 93 very good and excellent ratings versus 16 poor/terrible and the majority of the negative ratings were posted during the 2006/7 timeframe as the complex was recovering from hurricane Wilma.

But, I hate to hear that anyones vacation gets ruined so I apologize to these people on behalf of Villas Marlin, it's home owners and staff.
Hastings
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

This was our family's first beach vacation - didn't know what to expect and didn't want to break the bank and wanted the freedom so I looked for an independently owned condo. Our family consists of husband, wife and three early twenties kidsI
Villa Marlin had good reviews - I corresponded via phone with Al; but it sounded too-good-to-be-true. There was no money down so we had nothing to lose! We were more than pleasantly surprised at the hospitality of Al and Fernando, the hosts of the unit. They offered info about the area, personally checked on us and answered any and all of our questions! It was a great location and worked perfectly for us. It's not the Hilton but neither was the price! My only gripe was that we weren't warned about the airport and how they con you into checking out time shares! It was a fantastic experience and we will be back at Villa Marlin.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim D
Midvale, UT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

Our 2nd stay at Villas Marlin and I cant imagine staying elsewhere. We booked through www.oraclevillasandtours.com both times and look forward to coming back again. Awesome pools, with a poolside bar and grill. We saw a sea turtle burying her eggs right off the condos patio area. Great shopping and restaurants across the street, easy bus access, We took the bus to Walmart, stocked for the week and took a taxi back. The stocked kitchen had all the utensils- including a strong blender. Throughout the day you will see Oracle people and they greet you with a smile. As I walked past, Alvin even waved me over(by name none the less) to the pool he was enjoying one morning to make sure we had been taken care of. I cant see the GM of the big resorts doing that.
To book an excursion, report an issue, or get assistance Fernando is second to none. Im pretty sure he knows everyone in Cancun. Uncrowded pool areas and beautiful beaches. Check out Oracles web cam of the beach

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

I found the condo we rented at the villas marlin through ownersdirect.com. This was my first time booking like this and not staying at an all inclusive. It was everything I thought it would be. The accomodations are not 5 star but the unit was clean, comfortable and had a spectacular view of the ocean. The location was amazing. Walking distance to restaurants/shopping and a short bus ride to the "club area". The beach was immaculate. Probably one of the nicest beach fronts in the hotel zone. The complex was very safe. 24 hour security on all sides. The outdoor pool was clean and the little bar to buy drinks was very reasonable...lots of fun was had. the hot tubs are not heated, they have to be turned on and even then they don't get hot hot, but when its 28 degrees outside who cares. Took the ferry over the Isle of Mujeres. Rented golf carts and hit a beach bar. Took the bus down to Playa Del Carmen for some shopping. Didn't buy much as the prices were cheaper in Cancun but it was great atmosphere and again we hit a beach bar. All in all I liked this experience more than an all inclusive. Didn't use the kitchen but it was fully equipped with everything you would need to prepare and eat a normal meal. Even though we didn't bring the kids this time it would be a great location. It appeared that there was a little of everyone from locals to snowbirds staying at this place so it was nice and quiet but all you have to do is take a walk along the beach and if you are looking for something a little more crazy you can find it...but it's nice when it's not happening at your place.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple