“run-down place.”

Ranked #161 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
San Francisco, CA
“run-down place.”
Reviewed 11 January 2006

We stayed there for only one night at the end of our trip, before flying back.
This was not our first choice but we were just looking for a place to crash for the night.
We encountered all problems you can expect from a low-quality run-down hotel in Mexico:
Room was not clean. Ants in the room. Noise outside. Noisy A/C. Low water temperature and water pressure. No safe in the room.
On the plus side, the staff was quite accomodating (though not overly friendly). Price was cheap - don't be afraid to negociate especially if you plan to pay cash.

Basically, this is just a place to crash for cheap while in Cancun, in the heart of the downtown area. I would not stay there for more than one night. The best hotel in downtown Cancun is the Radisson (which unfortunately was full at the time of our visit).

• Stayed January 2006
12 Thank SF_worldtraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 26 January 2005

I spend the whole summer and all lengthy school holidays in Cancun. I always stay at his hotel with my fiancee, Alfredo, who works at the Costa Real. I love it because I can walk anywhere alone and get what I need while he is at work. I never worry about my safety in this neighborhood. You can walk to Market 28 and shop. (There is THE BEST restaurant there, El Cejas, you must try it. Wal Mart, Burger King, and Subway are within walking distance, too. The staff is friendly and they speak surprisingly good English. They provide excellent service, and will try to get you what you need. The bar/restaurant opens late, but it's Mexico. (Everything gets started late here.) The bar tender will send someone around the corner to get you the best, and extremely cheap quesidillas. There is a liquor store and a small "Quick Trip" right across the street. El Pharmacia is right next door if you need some Advil. The sun is a little odd at times. I can't get much of a tan in winter, but I was at the pool from 8:00am to 4:00 pm every day this summer and man, I think I looked Mexican I was so brown. I will spend all of my vacations here. I just love it!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 May 2004

I had explored this place, visited their lobby bar on a number of occasions, and had eaten a decent American breakfast in their restaurant once - when exploring around Downtown Cancun or before heading out to the airport. Apparently they get a lot of tour groups in high season, and might still have some affiliation with a beach club out in the Hotel Zone. Like a previous writer, it struck me as a good place for an overnite in Cancun. So this last trip, we thought it might be fun to just tool around Downtown, eat and drink our first nite, before heading out to Isla Mujeres for our diving vacation. I contacted the hotel directly by e-mail thru their website, explained my purpose, and asked for a special rate for May 17, 2004. They quoted me $38, which beat their published rate for the period and sounded fine. It's true the pool is pretty much worthless, rarely clean, and having limited exposure to the sun. Also, the bar was always closed during our stay and the restaurant is gone. I think they are affiliated with a German restaurant next door. Nevertheless, we got a clean, good-sized room, with a good bathroom/ shower, hot water, fine air conditioner. TV worked, but limited local channels in Spanish (TV wasn't the object of this stay). Good view of the traffic circle below and the city. Walking close to lots of reasonable bars, restaurants, the central bus station, and the Mercado 28 (big downtown shopping market). Given the special discount price, it was just a perfect base for exploring Downtown Cancun for one afternoon and evening. Comfortable place, good lobby, elevator, lots of purified drinking water centrally located on each floor. As the other reviewers indicated, you wouldn't want to spend your vacation there, but I could see making it a home-base if you were doing some day trips to Isla, Tulum, Chichen Itza - which I think a lot of these groups do - and didn't have to pay their rack rate. I would recommend this place. It's a 5 minute walk to the bus station if you're headed down to Playa del Carmen or over to Merida. We paid 30 pesos for a cab to the Isla Mujeres ferry at the new Gran Puerto Cancun. We actually only paid 40 pesos apiece (total about $7) for the little publicized 15 minute bus ride in from Cancun International Airport. We got off the bus at the Centro Urban bus stop, and it was a five minute walk to the hotel. Airport shuttle would have cost us $18 total and taken us a full hour thru the entire Hotel Zone dropping off passengers along the way. Check out the hotel's website.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 March 2004

Reasonably clean with helpful staff who discounted the rate to $48. The suurounding area is "lively" at night. We chose this place after running from another hotel a block away and after finding Las Margaritas was booked. I would not consider a second night here. We were in need of a room for a day trip to Cancun from Cozumel.

• Stayed March 2004
4 Thank El_Hombre_del_Hierro

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Missouri
Reviewed 18 February 2004

The first things I can say is "Dont stay here" This place is a total dive. No ice machine, rude workers, no room service, no food period available in here. We stayed here 2/14/04-2/17/04. This place is a joke really. The only thing I can say about this place, is that it is CHEAP...And now I know why. And by the wya, if you want to sleep in a quiet hotel room, it wont happen here. The night club is next door, and they play the mucis until 4 am...LOUD. We were on the 2nd floor...hEard every song....Take my advice, stay someplace else.

32 Thank Lori H
Reviewed 14 November 2003

Great Hotel to stay for a night or two. Half the rooms over look a busy round about. best suited to people how are arriving late and are planning to move on from cancun being only a block away from the main bus station.Back of hotel over looks the swimming pool which is sited at the back and only has two sides with pool side access, tall buildings around block most of the sun.Beware when getting a cab from the Airport, and make sure that you are taken to the Caribe Internacional and not the Best Western Plaza Caribe

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member