“Disappointing stay, would not stay here again.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caribe Internacional

Caribe Internacional
Ranked #164 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
San Diego, California
“Disappointing stay, would not stay here again.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2007

I booked this hotel since I was going to be staying on Isla Mujeres for a week and needed an inexpensive hotel on the mainland for one night before my departure from Mexico. I arrived at the hotel and was checked in to my room by the front desk without so much as a greeting, smile or welcome. I thought it was noticable since I had stayed at a very simple hotel on Isla Mujeres (Hotel Mesón Del Bucanero) where the people could not have been nicer or have been more welcoming. I was not impressed by the quality of the front desk reception but I was still not entirely turned off by the hotel as in every place there are some aspects of a hotel that are better/worse. When I got to my room I entered the room and immediately noticed that the door opened into the room in such a way that I could not get my bags into the room without putting them into the bathroom that was directly ahead of the entry way, stepping into the bathroom, and then turning around to close the door before I could then pick up my bags again to get them in to the main part of the room. It was an awkward entry since the door opened the wrong way into the room. It was quite hot so I immediately went to turn on the air conditioning to cool the room....but the air conditioning did not come on when I tried to turn it on. Only after some extended searching did I come across a small circuit breaker switch that was turned off and once I switched it on the air conditioning finally did come on. By then I was really hot and sweaty and annoyed. The air conditioning adjustment knob did not work...there was only "on" full force or "off" completely. I ended up opting for the unit "on" full force and sleeping under the covers with a slight chill all night rather than broiling with out the air conditioning. Additionally, the TV did not come on at first, as it turns out it was unplugged and had to be plugged in before it would work. There were sparks from the wall socket when I put the plug in the wall which startled me. I had forgotten to bring an alarm clock on my trip so I called the front desk and asked for a wake-up call at 3:15 a.m. in the morning which would give me enough time to dress and do my final preparations before my airport transfer was to arrive at 4:30 a.m. I awoke to the sound of the phone ringing for my wakeup call and was informed that they were sorry but it was 3:50 a.m. not 3:15 a.m. as I had requested - they had somehow overlooked the call until then. Needless to say I was very annoyed...I did not expect much from my stay, but I most certainly did expect that very important wake-up call. I was in overdrive from that point on trying to get myself and my bags ready to go. As it was my transfer arrived just a bit earlier at 4:20 a.m. so the morning departure was a very, very rushed departure. I was completely unimpressed with the quality of the people working at the front desk in terms of customer service and competence. A wake-up call is not too much to ask, this hotel was not busy so it is hard to understand how something so simple, yet so important could have been overlooked by the front desk. As for the room itself it was quite simple. The towels were clean, the shower was clean and the bed was clean. The walls are painted ciderblock and the floor was linoleum which made the room feel a bit cold and bare, but then I was not expecting elegance so that was ok. I had arrived at the hotel later in the evening so I did not explore the grounds, the pool, etc. so I cannot comment on any of those areas. What I can comment on is the totally unprofessional front desk personnel who were unable to deliver something so simple as a pleasant welcome and a very important wake-up call on the morning of my departure. If you stay here be sure to bring your alarm clock and to look for the circuit breaker switch for that air conditioning unit. As for me, this was a disappointing stay and I will not be back again.

• Liked — Convienient for transfer to the airport the morning of departure.
  • Disliked — The very poor customer service at the front desk and that the air conditioning could not be adjusted
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank Theworldismyoyster07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2007

My wife and I were lured to this hotel when we landed
in Cancun. Their representatives accost you at the
airport with promises of free tours and cab fare but
please please don't fall for this!! What happened to
us is typical of many American travelers. The Royal
Holiday club, that operates out of the lobby of the
hotel Hyatt Cancun Caribe Resort, will push their
timeshare deal on you for however long it takes to get
you to sign a contract. It cost us 5 hours and they
illegally charged 17000 us dollars on our American
Express card. They will promise and throw in anything
so that they can get you to sign a contract and charge
your credit card. Don't be fooled!!! Walk away and
stop these crooks from taking your hard earned money.
We are still fighting this since they refused to take
our cancellation. If you have recently been scammed
you must get written proof of your attempt to cancel
the contract within 5 days! Don't wait or else you
risk losing all your money. If its over the 5 day
limit contact Profeco (the mexican BBB) and the BBB of
southeast florida. For those of you traveling to
Mexico, take my advice and don't listen to any
timeshare presentations unless you have first hand
experience that they are legitimate. This is big
business for them and foreigners have a difficult time
of getting their money back once the 5 days are up. I
hope this saves someone from the hardship and pain
that we are currently going through.

Stayed May 2007
6 Thank jindoguy

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2007

We just returned from our two week trip at Club Internacional de Cancun. We had a great time. We spent the first week with our family of 4 (two teenagers), then the 2nd week our son's best friend and his parents came and felt that I made a great choice picking this one out of all the Royal Resorts. The other Royal Resorts are gorgeous, but just didn't have that family atmosphere we enjoyed so much here. Also, the beaches, though beautiful, were usually too rough and the red flags were out. At Club Internacional, it is a calmer beach but it was georgous at this time of year.....no sea lice, so that was nice too.

We did a Scuba Trip with Manta Divers and had a great experience with them. We also did the dolphin swim on Isla Mujeres which was awesome!! It's great to go to the Royal Resorts because you have access to all of them no matter which one you are staying in, so you get a little of everything. The only complaint I have on the shuttle is that it goes every two hours from Club Internacional whereas they are every hour from Sands, to Mayan,Caribbean & Islander. We started out using the Cabs because I was a bit worried about how yucky the busses looked, but by the 2nd week, we started to use the buses (which is much cheaper) and it wasn't as bad as I thought. Wal Mart had good prices, but the few time we went there, the place smelled like urine, so that is one place I would pass on next time...I'd rather go to Sam's Club, they were clean and not smelly!!

My suggestion to everyone is that if you go to Cancun (especially during the summer), drink a lot of water. The humidity is aweful and if you don't keep the water going down, the diahrea sets in. I think most of the people who get sick down there are getting that way due to too much alcohol and not enough water. We had no problems with food where we went, though we ate at the big places in the hotel zone and always drank the bottled water. The heat mixed with the alcohol can be a killer if you are not used to humidity, which we Californian's are not!! The Hacienda Sisal on Sunday night for their teguilla tasting and dinner with the mariachi's was great. We went both Sundays while we were there. The food it pricey, but VERY good!! It was suggested to us by one of the old timers that had been going there since 1984 and I'm glad we took them up on it!!

I have to agree with one of the others that talked about sitting through the timeshare. We were taken down to the newest resort they are still in the process of building in Playa del Carmen called the Royal Hacienda. It is gorgeous and some nice snorkeling there, but it's about an hour drive there and back and you are in a personal van going, but have to catch the shuttle back, so you are gone from 8am to 4pm. It was a long day and due to the speel, we only had time to snorkel, but not enough to go into town, so that was a bit upsetting.

All in all though, we were very happy that we traded our timeshare in for this resort and glad we chose this one over the others. Also talking to many both older and younger, they enjoy this one over the others even though their 2nd week is at one of the other resorts.

• Liked — The homey family atmosphere
  • Disliked — Price of items at the store and restaurant
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2006

This is a great budget hotel in the heart of downtown Cancun. It is a short walk to the bus station (for 3 USD bus to airport!) Downtown shopping is only steps away. Wal-mart, Chedraui and Commerical Mexicana are all short walks. The bus to the hotel zone runs very frequently- every few minutes 24 hours a day. And it's only 6.5 pesos! (USD 0.60) The hotel itself is clean and the staff are friendly. The room was good sized with 2 double beds, wall unit ac that was ice cold, and a small 13" TV that got about 15 or so Mexican stations. Bathroom was small but functional. Shower only with no bath. Water pressure lower than what I'm used to but adequate especially to Mexican standards. The pool looked wonderful and very clean, but I never got a chance to get in it. Always at the beach instead..
I give this 4 out of 5 only relation to the price I paid.. Had I paid a hundred bucks a night for this place I would have been dissatisfied with it. I paid 49 USD a night plus tax. It is not a 4 star hotel but a clean, quality 2 star hotel. Overall it's an excellent value in Cancun and I would come back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Overall value and location
  • Disliked — bathroom a little on the small side.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Eric M
San Pedro, Belize
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2006

I can't say it is terrible as I am sure there has to be worse. A drunk bellman, a dirty room. I speak Spanish, I lived in Mexico for many years. I know reasonable standards. You used to be able to get a decent room in downtown Cancun listening to the discos and sirens for 60.00 USD/ night. But not anymore. All I can say is it it Cancun's Fawlty Towers. The front desk staff did try hard and could only work with the product they are given. The website does not accurately represent the property but the parking was secure.

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank MalibuStace
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2006

We stayed there for only one night at the end of our trip, before flying back.
This was not our first choice but we were just looking for a place to crash for the night.
We encountered all problems you can expect from a low-quality run-down hotel in Mexico:
Room was not clean. Ants in the room. Noise outside. Noisy A/C. Low water temperature and water pressure. No safe in the room.
On the plus side, the staff was quite accomodating (though not overly friendly). Price was cheap - don't be afraid to negociate especially if you plan to pay cash.

Basically, this is just a place to crash for cheap while in Cancun, in the heart of the downtown area. I would not stay there for more than one night. The best hotel in downtown Cancun is the Radisson (which unfortunately was full at the time of our visit).

• Stayed January 2006
12 Thank SF_worldtraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2005

I spend the whole summer and all lengthy school holidays in Cancun. I always stay at his hotel with my fiancee, Alfredo, who works at the Costa Real. I love it because I can walk anywhere alone and get what I need while he is at work. I never worry about my safety in this neighborhood. You can walk to Market 28 and shop. (There is THE BEST restaurant there, El Cejas, you must try it. Wal Mart, Burger King, and Subway are within walking distance, too. The staff is friendly and they speak surprisingly good English. They provide excellent service, and will try to get you what you need. The bar/restaurant opens late, but it's Mexico. (Everything gets started late here.) The bar tender will send someone around the corner to get you the best, and extremely cheap quesidillas. There is a liquor store and a small "Quick Trip" right across the street. El Pharmacia is right next door if you need some Advil. The sun is a little odd at times. I can't get much of a tan in winter, but I was at the pool from 8:00am to 4:00 pm every day this summer and man, I think I looked Mexican I was so brown. I will spend all of my vacations here. I just love it!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member