“Peaceful, Friendly, Restful Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ocean Spa Hotel

Ocean Spa Hotel
Ranked #59 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Coos Bay, Oregon
“Peaceful, Friendly, Restful Resort”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We had a great time at this resort 4/26 - 5/1/14. We were greeted by our Concierge, Lillian, who explained our schedule to us and the other options that were available. She was most helpful whenever we had a question over the next 4 days. Nacho took our bags to our room, and explained how all of the equipment worked. We went over to the Buffet for a late lunch. The best service in the buffet was with Pascual as waiter and Lizet on seating. She always allowed me to practice my Spanish, and was very gentle in her corrections and encouraging when I remembered my phrases correctly. Yessica made my omelets to order with ingredients from the buffet that I added to what she usually had to offer, and they were delicious every morning. Most evenings, we went to the Frida Restaurant in the Lobby. Leonardo went out of his way to serve us with impeccable style, even walking all of the way to the kitchen area to see if he could Special Order the Lobster for us when we missed calling in by the reservation cut-off time. One afternoon we had Pizza delivered to us as we sat in the lounge chairs by the pool. It had a chewy yet crispy crust and plenty of cheese. Delicioso!

Once we became members, Maria at the Share Desk explained that Program to us and loaned me a scissor to complete a project that I was working on while in Cancun. We thoroughly relaxed with our Hot Stone Massage! I will definitely do this again!

We hope to return to the Ocean Spa Hotel, at least to eat when we visit the Iglesia across the street.

Room Tip: We were in the area overlooking the main lobby, looking towards the pools and beach beyond. It was c...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SusanJ1947

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2014

If this makes sense, it is a hotel not a resort. Situated in downtown Cancun, the beach is ok, but more of a marina and when you walk out the front doors, you are in a big city. No nightly shows or entertainment. Nice pool with pizza bar and 2 bars close by. Breakfast was good, but if you wanted omelets, Yessica is the slowest egg cooker there has ever been.

The staff was always helpful and friendly and everyone really knows their stuff.

We had to attend the time share presentation which was a 2 hour tour of 3 properties and a 2 hour high pressure sales pitches. This meeting was imperative for us to receive the promo pricing for this resort. Although, several times during the sales meeting we explained that we were not in a position, or even wanted a time share, the pressure to buy was relentless at every level. Once that was over, it was rest and relaxation.

The buffet was good, but very limited. The Ala-cartes are incredible.Great food and service at all the restaurants, but I highly recommend the Mexican...fantastic.

I doubt we will ever go back to the Ocean Spa Hotel, but our experience was good.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Premier Suite and it was well worth it. The best view on the resort, comfortable...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brian078
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The quality of this establishment is is very moderate. It appears to be a nice place till it rains and your ceiling in your room leaks. Nice sleeping noise of dripping water in a trash can. The wait staff are mostly good, if your getting the buffet and get your own food. If you reserve one of the nice dinners (3 to choose from) make sure and keep a menu handy. So when your waiter brings out the wrong dish you can point a second time to the correct item order. This happened in 2 of the 3 restaurants. On one of the dinner nights it was raining kinda hard and even inside too... The dining room was leaking water by the gallons. To the point they were watering the plants with the stream of water. Just so it wouldn't leak so bad on the floor. The waiter that night fell with another tables main course and things went everywhere. The beach is not all nice. Full of vegetation and the water is very still causing a nice smell. Sad part is I'm writing this while I'm still here AND HAVE 2 more days. Their are a few nice things about this place. Pool is not so bad "if you don't mind a salt water pool" it has 3 different pools sorta small but nice for different depths. If you have small children. I have so much more I could go on about but it would take forever and I'm not a novelist. If you do choose to stay here I suggest you make the best of your vacation and overlook the flaws and have a good time with family or friends. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS ESTABLISHMENT TO ANYONE.

Room Tip: Ask if the roof leaks in your room...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jason G

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We had a great time at this resort 5/10-5/17/14. Best service in the buffet was with Pascual as waiter and Lizet on seating. When Pascual saw us coming he automatically ordered our drinks for us. The other exceptional waiter is Miguel in the Beach Bar or the Mexican Restaurant. He is the happiest guy in the place and always trying to please! We were there on an Interval Exchange, not on a free promotion. That may be why we had a better time than some of these reviews.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room behind the beach bar and pizzeria. We would order and they would bring it...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

ACTIVITIES WERE GREAT. We went sailing, snorkling , touring to Mayan are AMAZING
My favorite employee is Ahmed Animecion
My other favorite employee is Miguel Santos

All of the crews in sailling they are awesome.Trip to ISLA MUJERES WAS AMAZING.
Over all activities are awesome.Staff at OCEAN PLAZA SPA ARE EXCELLENTI!!!Isalute to them.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Tennessee
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at the Ocean Spa from 5/19/2014-5/23/2014 because of a promotion we received when we joined an organization. We were not obligated to any of the presentations and took full advantaged of it! The stay was free but we paid to upgrade to "all inclusive". When my husband made the reservations, we were also offered a tour and two 30-minute Summer Massage Packages. We were met at the airport and shuttled to the resort. The only downfall of our trip: it was dark when we arrived and dark when we left. We traveled in a party of 4 and chose not to participate in any of the tours because we did not want to adhere to anyone's schedule during vacation. The staff was wonderful, polite, and patient (our Spanish is horrible). I (picky eater) was impressed by the selections of food as well as the cleansiness of the property. All of the workers were great but Marisa Nah (Ama de llaves area) made you feel special with the added touches when servicing your room. The property is old but well kept. Please allow the young lady at the omlet station "hook you up" as well as David with pizza at the Pool/Beach snack bar. My husband and son took advantage of riding the Sea Doo (not as expensive as the ones in Panama City Beach). Although tips were already included in our package and we've been so blessed, we still gave small tips to our servers. If you can afford it, take advantage of the spa; Lupita is great! We relaxed on the beach for our entire stay! The only negative of this resort is the lack of constant music at the pool and beach. Be prepared for the peddlers that disturb you at the beach-if you ignore them, they will eventually leave.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest:
We are pleased that the Ocean Spa was a great get-away for a memorable vacation.
We appreciate your mention of our staff as they are always eager to assist all of our guests whenever they are needed.
We appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
California
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel is an average resort. My husband I went because we were offered a good price for 5 days 6 nights the kicker was that we had to listen to a time share presentation so we decided that we were in. So we arrived at the airport got the shuttle to take us to Ocean Spa. We arrived and we were greeted by Miguel (bell boy) he was awesome assured us he would take care of our things well we waited for our room to be ready. Then we were taken to the front desk where there was Victor he was very rude and acted as if we were putting him out as we were checking in then we asked him for US money changed to Pesos and he was rude. At this point my husband and I looked at each other like oh boy if this is how its starting out its going to be a long 6 days! We then went to the lobby bar where we met Julio (the bartender) he was awesome made us feel at home and very welcome every time we see him he was with smiles asking what he could get for us. We love Julio!! As we were waiting for our room Carlos (concierge) sat down with us telling us about the resort and all the details about the meeting about the time share. So we meet up the next morning for our tour for the time share and our girl that's doing it is Angie she is super sweet and gives us a lot of info on all the resorts as we are touring them. They said the time share would last 90-120 min and it lasted 4.5 hours. It wasn't bad because we were able to see where we wanted to hangout and what the other places had to offer while we were there so we weren't upset about it till the end when they were dragging it out downstairs and we had already said no that we were not interested. That was really the only issue we had with the time share part the rest had a lot of good info for us to use while we were there. So we are now free to do as we wish for the next 3 days. We met a few nice people that went out of there way to take great care of us. We met Dany and Cesar at the pool bar and buffet restaurant they were awesome took very good care of us and were all smiles when they saw us. It was nice and we had a lot of fun with them by the pool and buffet. Then we made reservations at the Mexican restaurant and Gabriel was our waiter he was awesome. He was all smiles to when he saw us and that was nice. I also want to thank Gabriel for getting my camera back to me I left it at the restaurant and after his shift he called our room to let us know to come get it that we had left it. Very nice considering I left it so it could have been gone. One thing I will say is that if you want to go shopping go up past Margaritaville they have better prices. I would also suggest taking a cab its a little more money but I feel was safer then the public bus line. As far as the food it was different but nothing was horrible, We liked the omelet and quesadilla station the best!! Our room was awesome we had an awesome ocean view in room 424!! The one thing that this resort needs is some entertainment like music during the day playing by the pool and maybe something at night. It wasn't horrible very relaxed. At night we went on our balcony and listen to music and enjoyed the boats with lights and some fireworks! Over all it was a good trip we enjoyed it. Thanks to all I mentioned for making it that good for us, Out of 8 People that we talked to Victor was the only RUDE one that we came across. Thanks Ocean Spa!!

Room Tip: Rooms 429 to 424 Ocean Front were Awesome!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dawson52
Dear Guest:
We are happy that you selected the Ocean Spa for your stay in Cancun.
We appreciate your mention of the friendly service that you received during your visit with us. All of the staff enjoys meeting our guests from around the world.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back hopefully soon.