“AVOID THIS HOTEL IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY CANCUN”
Review of Ocean Spa Hotel

Ocean Spa Hotel
Ranked #60 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Calgary, Canada
“AVOID THIS HOTEL IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY CANCUN”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Oh boy, where do I start? Location of the hotel is really far from the airport. It's kinda painful passing through all the hotels in the hotel zone because of all the grand entrances these hotels have and how tall the buildings were, once you get to Ocean Spa - WHAT A LET DOWN. Don't get me wrong, the entrance/lobby looks maintained and everything but compared to the other hotels, Ocean Spa's is a joke. Looks really cheap, nothing spectacular or exciting. Now let's move on to the rooms. I felt like we were on an expensive room at a Super 8 motel. Yes, rooms were clean bathroom was okay and the bed was large as promised. However, you don't see anything really fancy. No decors, no light fixtures. Just a clean room with a big bed. Next, let's critique the food. You know when they say on the website that there's a buffet restaurant plus 4 sitdown "fine dining" restos? LOL so what they really do have is one big restaurant by the pool area divided into 3 sections at night. The area inside can be the mexican/oriental/some other cuisine i dont even remember which rotates on a daily basis. The area outside is for those who want to eat buffet food. The italian resto is simply the air conditioned room beside this outside area. There's another resto beside the lobby altho I'm not sure what that resto was for. Food for all of these restos were okay, nothing really special but the buffet food was just too painful to eat. Same thing everyday every night, it;s like the cook only knows certain recipes to serve the guests of the hotel. We actually dined out twice during our trip because we were just sick of the food being served. Servers were really nice tho, especially Adrian. Just tip your servers well (5-10 dollars minimum) and you will be served really good. Last but not the least, the beach. I'm a beach person and I'm the type who can just chill at the shore all day and sunbathe. I was really excited to do such after seeing all the pictures all over the net on how beautiful the Cancun beach is. But man, the beach and view Ocean Spa provided the most letdown among all. Because it wasn't on the main hotel zone were all the other good hotels were, Ocean Spa's beach front was really short and rather small. Water was also dirty in this area and it's almost impossible to be swam at. Yacths are parked in front so they obstructed the view of the ocean. The beach front was really really disappointing because after spending a day on one of Ocean Spa's sister hotel (Royal Sunset - JUST BEAUTIFUL), you would really hate this hotel to its core. I could be fine with minimum accomdations, food, activities etc but beach is something that I can't compromise, especially if I went to the place for the beach. Cancun has one of the best beaches I've seen to date but Ocean Spa will deny you of the that experience. To sum it all up, I would really say you would be better off staying away from Ocean Spa. It may be cheaper than most of the hotels but I will tell you that $100-$300 extra you might pay for an all-inclusive experience at another hotel in the HOTEL ZONE is really really really worth it if you want to enjoy Cancun.

Room Tip: Doesnt matter what room you choose since you wont have a view of the ocean, hotel was only 3 stories...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Mike I
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for your review; for us the guest´s opinion is essential in order to work hard and improve our quality.
We regret for for not being able to fulfill your expectations. I am addressing each of your concerns with our team and I assure you we are working diligently to make the necessary improvements.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Dining staff was great, Angel and Emanuel. are awesome guys! Rooms clean&comfortable but old. Food was average at best.Time share = nightmare! Stay away!! Would probably go back but not our #1 choice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ana P
Dear Guest:
Thank you for writing a review.
We are delighted that you enjoyed you stay at Ocean Spa and thank you for your kind comments.
We hope to welcome you back and trust we will become your # 1 Choice!
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 29 June 2014

i went to Ocean spa , Elli was the best in activities. he was good in sports , played valleyball, water aerobic, soccer.
Elli took responsibilities, took us to the club and stayed with us for safety, such a nice person, respectful, kind, fun. I will go back just for ELLI
cHEF Marco was great too

Room Tip: rooms on the second floor by the pool are best. no activities at night time. Elli is the best if go...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mexico814
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the service that our team provides, it means a lot to us to know it is appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We were very impressed with the staff friendly and accommodating to us all. Victor at front desk Gabrielle in the Mexican restaurant, Ahmad, Jose, Luis they were all wonderful. !!
The only thing is avoid the timeshare they are treacherous!:(
Nice people. Thanks gang drunk 7, Crystal

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Crystal T
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for choosing Ocean Spa for your vacation; we are delighted you had a great vacation.
It was a pleasure having you here and we are happy knowing that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We will share your beautiful comments with our team and we hope to see you back very soon.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel has good common areas, but the rooms are terrible and need an upgrade urgently. The room I stayed at (#232), had very old tiles, smelled like mold, and was poorly cleaned. I was expecting more for the price. All inclusive is not worth either, as the dinner buffet had very few options. Staff is friendly. The beach on the back of the hotel does not have waves, and harbors many vessels, which leaves the guests very little room to explore the ocean. No waves,I am not staying there again, mainly because of the room conditions.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, don't stay at #232.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Elaine C
Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on TripAdvisor. We regret to read about your experience and we sincerely regret for not being able to fulfill your expectations.
Feedback is very important for us since it enables us to make positive changes where needed. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to offer you a better vacation experience.

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were told they had wifi but in reality it only works in the lobby and you must be sitting at or near the concierge desk. I must conduct business even if I am away from home and this put a crimp in our vacation. The food and rooms were good, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. All guests feedback is highly appreciated.
We regret to hear your experience at Ocean Spa did not meet your expectations.
We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better service on your next visit to Cancun.
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This review is for Ocean Spa Hotel in Cancun,
Mexico for our all-inclusive honeymoon stay booked through Interval
International timeshares June 14-21, 2014. I have traveled many times to Mexico
and the Caribbean islands and am well-familiar with the varied all-inclusive
hotel chains. However, since we booked our trip within a couple months' time we
were very limited as to what resorts were available for the time we wished to
vacation. This was the worst all-inclusive hotel we have ever stayed at!

This beach is on the bay, not the crystal clear water of the Cancun strip but rather it is murky and full of seaweed. The beach is shallow and there are boats docked on both sides of the small area so there is a constant smell of gasoline.

Ocean Spa Hotel had operational red flags all over
the place from the very beginning. After we checked in we were presented with
the regular timeshare shpiel which we opted out of. Our rooms (double spa room)
had a strong moldy smell. On the sixth day we found out why - there was
moisture accumulating in the ceiling by the sink and it was dripping. As we
wiped the water with a towel, the ceiling disintegrated and crumbled leaving a
hole that was dripping water. Although a maintenance worker came and patched
it, it began crumbling again within a few hours' time.

One of the fans didn't work in the room (the one
that had the hole in the ceiling from the water leak). One of the jacuzzis
didn't work in the room (the jets did not function). On select days the water
coming out of the sinks were brown, so I guess they were doing work somewhere
on the pipes. The water was the worst on Friday June 20th and it left a brown
ring in the sink.

The three water bottles that were provided the
first day in the room were not replenished ever and at times the bar ran out of
waters (how is this possible?). I have NEVER traveled to an all-inclusive
resort that did not have anything in the fridge. Usually in Mexico there are a
couple waters, an orange juice, two Dos Equis cans and two Coronas. This resort
had nothing in the fridge. We had to go to Comercial Mexicana just to get some
snacks and waters to ensure we could at least drink water in the rooms when we
wanted to. There is no room service. The restaurants open and close at times not
specified (they do not follow the times they list on the paper or on the board
outside of the lobby). This left us and many other patrons with no food at
times. Two of the bartenders at the pool had a really bad attitude and ignored
us while we waited in the pool to serve the customers who were watching the
soccer game (dry customers can tip, people in the pool cannot tip at that
moment since people don't usually carry money in their bathing suits - not hard
for us to figure out why we weren't being acknowledged).

The food at the restaurants were inadequate and the
buffet was not replenished regularly. The quality was poor and the selection
mediocre. The buffet is small and gets messy because the kitchen staff are not
attending to it often. There are not separate tongs for each food item thus
cross-contamination happens which is a problem for people who suffer from food
allergies and stomach disorders where they can't eat certain foods. The foods
wind up touching each other because tongs are used for more than one food item.
I have a stomach disorder so I can't eat certain things and this was very
frustrating for me. I am also vegetarian and there weren't many meal options.
On Tuesday evening, there were two signs that were incorrect - they both said
vegetable and one had bacon in it and the other had chicken in it. I again had
to go back to my room to eat food I purchased from Comercial Mexicana. The food
quality was poor. It was really disappointing. As was mentioned, the buffet
food does not get replenished often enough so there are empty plates at the
buffet area. Nearly every single dessert was gelatin-based. The waiter service
was poor and we were rarely checked on. Sometimes we did not have drinks with
our food because the waiters did not come over to us and acknowledge our
presence. Other times we got up from our tables to get drinks for ourselves at
the bar.

It was "mission impossible" trying to get drinks and food at times because the restaurants would close at times not
specified and sometimes they would run out of certain foods. There is a lack of
consistency with answers to questions we had and sometimes the staff simply
didn't know (like when we could go get food at the restaurants.) Other times
there was not a bartender at the bars and we had to go back to the room to eat
and drink stuff we purchased from the store. There is no beach waiter service
and the bartender on the beach disappears sometimes. Also at some points during
the day we were told the bar on the beach was closed so we couldn't enjoy
drinks on the beach.

The cleanliness of the bar and restaurants needs
strong improvement. There was a line of ants that I followed above the bar by
the entrance of the buffet restaurant and were going into a hole by the pillar
on the left side of the wall. If the staff is interested in finding it, the
hole where the ants come out is on the wall right when you walk down the steps
on the top left side. All of the bars also had weird smells that were evidence
of them not being cleaned properly. My husband and I live in NYC and have been
to tons of bars - these were smelly and we couldn't even stand to sit by them.
Also, one of the toilets by the pool doesn't have a seat.

In the lobby at 6pm Wednesday evening, a man came
to blow mosquito repellant all throughout the lobby bar and restaurant. It
smelled strongly of gasoline and was very loud. This should be done either late
in the day or very early in the morning, not when patrons are frequenting the
lobby.

On the other hand, we wanted to mention Ernesto,
Miguel, the housekeepers and the spa staff. Ernesto and Miguel were the best
waiters in the restaurant and the spa staff was excellent. Both my husband and
I enjoyed their services. Ernesto made us feel special by making us a dessert
and bringing us champagne after dinner one night. He was a true professional
and would stop what he was doing to check in every time he saw us. The
housekeepers for the rooms worked very hard and we always came back to a clean
room, sometimes with towel swans.

In closing, Ocean Spa Hotel is not an all-inclusive
property I would ever recommend nor would I recommend their sister properties.
It was a real disappointment staying here considering it was our honeymoon
week and it was booked through Interval International. Although we thoroughly enjoyed some excursions, this resort left us
highly dissatisfied and upset. It was one wrong thing after another. I was
really looking forward to enjoying this week with my husband since he has never
been to Cancun.

I have reached out to the manager at Ocean Spa Hotel at reservas@oceanspahotel.com and wrote to Interval International
timeshares about our experience.
We will NEVER be returning.

Gabrielle C.
June 14-21, 2014
Room 245-247

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank 3Vacationer
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for your detailed review and feedback.
We regret that we were unable to meet your expectations. We have reviewed in detail with our executive management team to focus on these areas of improvement and thank you again for sharing your candid feedback.
We will be happy to share your kind compliments with Ernesto and Miguel, and thank you on their behalf.
Please allow us the opportunity to welcome you back.