“A beautiful nightmare”

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #88 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
“A beautiful nightmare”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012 via mobile

The resort itself was beautiful and huge the views were great but unfortunately I incurred issues with my room. I paid for Sens VIP when I arrived they took my bags from me which was great I didn't have to drag around my luggage there was a special VIP lounge for check in which I thought was fabulous being that there was a line by the regular check in counter. The girls there had such an attitude they told me that my room was not available which I found it hard to believe being that I didn't book is trip last minute reservations had been made way in advance so they made me wait 20 minutes for the room. My package included free wifi they said they didn't have the codes available to come back in the afternoon. Well when I arrived to my room it was a double bed room, which was not necessary being that I was the only person staying in the room and the ways were stained and the curtains had cigarette holes. I went back down to the VIP lounge and asked about the wifi codes and informed them the room that was given to me was not what I asked for. They said they would handle the room issue tomorrow and the wifi codes would arrive in the morning. So I returned the following morning the said I had to wait till after 3pm to figure out the room issue and wifi codes would be available the following morning. I met up with my sister and checked out her room and it was beautiful the decorations and the furniture was very nice compared to mine only problem was the view wasn't great. I went back after 4 to deal with my room situation and right infront of me another person asked about wifi codes they told him they weren't available but they would provide him with a courtesy 3 day code, which I found unbelievable being that I had been asking for these codes for the past two days. I finally received a cleaner one bed ocean view room and the my downside to this room was that the mini fridge didn't close all the way without me forcing it close so I'm sure house keeping wondered why there were always foot prints on the fridge door. Also the shower didnt have curtains it had a glass which didnt go all the way down so when taking a shower all the water leaked out and flooded the bathroom. I finally received wifi codes on day 3 which made things a lot better being wifi is available throughout the entire resort so I was able to communicate back home through the web and the only huge complaint that I had was that the water ran yellow the entire time I was there so I ran around the resort with hair that smelled like rusty pipes. Oh and on day 4 I lost power in my room which I had to wait 3 hours for maintenance to show up. I was just so tired with dealing with problems I finally dealt with them and attempted to enjoy my stay because if not I would have wasted it away fighting with the hotel. I would probably only book this hotel again if rooms were not available at cancun palace, melia or the riu.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Lubia S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,042)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

This Grand Oasis resort (large pyramid) is huge, lots to see, lots of places to eat. The main buffet was out of this world I couldn't believe how many different great foods there was. We stay in the pyramid which was the nicer hotel compare to the younger peoples side (Oasis) by the far pool near Mexican restaurant. The Oasis the smaller side did have a taco stand and popcorn stand though. VIP lounge was the best,sat outside on patio there, watch all the actors come around. Started our evenings off in the VIP lounge bar too met lots of people from everywhere, went dancing with some. The only thing that got me was the computers first day there I ran up and down getting passcodes 3 times, couldnt use this computer couldnt use that computer. Two different companys one up in VIP lounge and other in the bottom floor cant buy passcodes to use in both. Take time look around at each restaurant and bar entertainment in all, some bands even. Ask for what you want, sometimes just go get it yourself if needed. Dont expect them to know English that well or some at all, your in their country learn some spanish! We had a blast it's quite large lots of walking and you got to get up early to get chairs by pool but that old news in all resort now. Watch the guys on beaches all say it real silver stamped with 925. But I talk to a jeweller in town and he said you can get a stamp to say that. If you know your silver it will be heavier and if its too cheap its not real. Email me if want more info no worries!!

Room Tip: Pyramid high floors ask for fridge.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank conchitta
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

the only think is grate about this hotel is it's location. it all started with checking in. they try to separate me from my friends by punting us in different buildings , but not in the main building for what we pay extra money. than they did not give us a bottle of tequila that was promised to us but that's not the biggest issue
. we did not even get pool towels. had to fight for them for 2 hours. they also give us the keys from the rooms but told us that rooms are not available for another hour. fine . finally we got our rooms no tequila no towels.we had to wait for two hour for the safe- deposit box keys. fine again. the same night i was rubbed, while i was sleeping someone got in my room and took my camera, phone and all my money. in the morning they told me that i am mistaken that according to they records no one came to my room . after i talk to the front desk and security upon my return to the room i found my empty wallet to plated in my bathroom. it definitely was not there before as security checked my room (including my personal belongings) . they checked lock again for card key use and didn't find any evidence that someone opened door besides me. all they told me that i have no prove that stuff was stolen , and guest service manager just told me directly that all he can do to say I am sorry . the next night when i came back from the party i couldn't open the door apparently my key was expired or lock's battery was dead. i had to wait outside for 30 min to get in my room, luckily i have my laptop with me so i use this time to write this review. it is really sad because i really like this resort, food is amazing and location stunning , but lack of security , poor customer service makes me wish I would never take this trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank eurolat

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Edmonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

I just got back from a 10 day vacation with a couple of friends, and I would never go back to this resort. We paid for the Grand Oasis, but we definitely did not recieve anywhere close to 4.5 star service. Our room was brutal, and it took 8 days of complaining before they upgraded us, to what should have been our original room. We paid for premium liquor, but were always told we needed to pay extra if we wanted that, and their house alcohol tastes like gasoline. There was a large water puddle outside our room for 6 days, that one of my friends slipped on and hurt his elbow. They advertise that they have watersports, but we found out they no longer provide any of that because they did not renew that contract. We were charged for the foam party when we shouldn't have been, and then we had to spend several hours the next day trying to get our money back. The front desk staff were not helpful at all, and we were consistently told 'no', for minor requests, such as an extra bottle of water for our room. Another friend cut his foot and went to the on-site doctor for a band-aid, who promptly told him if he wanted one he could go purchase them at the gift shop. The best part of this trip was when we weren't at the resort. I've stayed at 5 star resorts before, and this doesn't come anywhere close in any category whatsoever. I could go on about a lot of other problems we had, but take my word for it and stay somewhere else. I will never go back to this resort, or any Oasis owned resort for that matter.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this resort!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SAJ0426
butler
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Oasis April 1 thru April 8. I must say that I would never go back. The staff was very friendly, they did a wonderful job. There were plenty of buffets or resturants, you would never go hungry. The #1 complaint , the room was terrible. They only had a shelf in the room, so that you had to live out of your suit case all week. There were holes in the curtains and off their track. The towels were very low grade. They did not have any chairs to sit on when in your room. #2 The ice machine on floor 4 as they had told us did not exist. #3 As for room service, I really do not beleive that is an option, I phoned twice for room service and never did get my order. #4 The electric went out every other day. So needless to say we did not use
the elevator, which did not have air and was the size of a shoe box. If you do decide to book.....Make sure you learn about the different color wrist bands.The color will decide if..top shelf ,or bottom.sit down or buffet.... We have been to Cancun many times and this was the first time to try an all inclusive. I will try another resort. I do love Cancun and will be back, but I will not be staying at the Grand Oasis.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ceagall
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I recommend to choose the grand oasis category instead of only the oasis category, you have a better choice of restaurants and the vip lounge is a must to get good service and have a place to relax with good music. The majority of the hotel staff is very helpful. It could be a great idea for the hotel to have a "frequent ask questions sheet" and giving it at the check in time, as there is a lack of general information, such as where we could get a beach towel, how can we get wifi or a phone to call ouside mexico, etc. Nice hotel, excellent food and drinks, but if you need to sleep a lot, you will be disapointed, a lot of springbreakers!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Marie-Andrée R
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We just got back from Cancun Mexico where we stayed at the Grand Oasis - it is a really nice hotel, beautiful location, very clean, food was a little better then average - lots of different items to choose and restaurants to choose from - it was all really good. There is just a few things I would complain about and they are not really that big a deal - we just like to try different places everytime we vacation. I knew from reading the previous reviews that this hotel is party central - to be honest I thought that spring break was pretty much over and we would be in the clear...maybe I am just getting older but boy could these kids party - they were up all hours of the night - but I remember what I was like so we just over looked it... - when we first arrived at the airport our airline told us to beware of the sales people that will try and convince you to purchase time sharing from them - they told us on the plane to just bypass this group of people walk right past them - however nobody told us it would be at the hotel as well. As your waiting in line for the check in they approach you make it sound like they will make your stay with them even better and that they will upgrade your room. What it is seems to be a good idea but we got suckered in and nobody wants to be sold on their vacation specially when they have a limited time there. You have to give them 2 1/2 hours of your time to listen to their sales pitch and in return they give you $50.00 Cdn towards anything you want in the hotel (including excursions). They are trying to sell you on investing into the hotel name Oasis where you can buy so many weeks on so many of the Oasis properties - it all sounds nice but really who comes prepared on vacation to spend that large of an amount of money? One other thing we were not impressed with ... and this was just a mis communication but when we arrived the hotel was over booked (and the parking was even worse) well the driver from the airport took us down the front entrance where the golf was and said we were to go to check in lines that were in the hot sun under some canopies. There must have been over 100 people waiting in those lines to check in - we all protested and asked him to drive us closer to the front doors but her refused he said his orders were to unload us near the end of the driveway where he did. So after arguing with him for a bit we grabbed our bags and walked with them to the front entrance and nobody wanted to wait in the heat for probably over two hours!
While we were there we did two tours. One of them was snorkling in a cave and snorkling almost 2 miles to see stingrays and sea turtles. No sea turtles that day but our group saw 2 stingrays and tons of colourful fish and coral....it was a great trip and our guide Gustavo was wonderful - he explained a lot to us and was a very caring guide, always took care of us. We also went into the jungle and my husband zip lined across the jungle - this tour was the Salvatica Tour which was also filled with great and friendly guides. They did 12 zip lines across the jungle and drove the 4 wheelers and then took a dip with another zip line into a fresh water swimming hole.... it was pretty fun and full of adventure. All in all it was a great trip great place to visit - we were trying to make it to a few more of the bars but as it always is the vacation was too short - maybe next time... we had a great time...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Oasis Palm
#77 of 182 in Cancun
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,730 reviews
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Grand Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!