“Leaving felt like we escaped from Guantanamo Bay) AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!! YOU COULDNT PAY ME TO STAY HERE AGAIN!”
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #87 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I'll preface my review with the following- I am a seasoned traveler having gone to Australia, Scandinavia/Western Europe, and more and have stayed at 1 star to 5 star resorts. I have been to Cancun multiple times at beautiful resorts like Iberostar. If you want a quick synopsis of my review before I go into detail: GRAND OASIS CANCUN IS THE WORST RESORT/HOTEL I'VE EVER STAYED AT..IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!- STAY AWAY!! All the bad reviews are absolutely true and I only wonder how much Grand Oasis paid reviewers to give the star rating it currently has. This place should be one star MAX. The all-inclusive tag is also a BLATANT LIE!! And YES I am angry because this place is a pathetic excuse for a resort. The managers and property owner should be ashamed of themselves.

My group of ten visited from May 3-May 7th. We arrived at Grand Oasis on the 3rd in the late afternoon. This is where things got troublesome.

We were waiting in the check-in line when one of the youngest members of the staff behind the counter asked some of the group to come with him. They asked him- to check in? He said Yes.

Little did my friends know once he got behind the counter he told them that they were OVERBOOKED and that we can't stay there that night and that they would put us in the Oasis Palm which was 30 minutes away (a worse rated resort) and that they would comp the night. Well- we didn't care because we rightfully paid ahead of time booking the rooms and they were not picking on the other people checking in the line- they just saw we were a large group of American kids and probably wanted to scam us.

While my three Spanish speaking friends of our group were arguing with the kid at the counter and then the shady manager of the front desk, a group of four of us out of ten proceeded to check- in WITHOUT any issues!!! SO basically the manager and the other person lied flat out to our faces.

When the manager realized that one of his workers made the grave mistake of checking us in he proceeded to yell at the worker right in front of us and then let all of us finally check-in- STRIKE 1 from this SHADY/SCAM like resort.

Once checked in we got into the rooms- the rooms were clean by appearance but not by detail AKA dust everywhere, the SAFE IN THE ROOM was broken, the shower drain was clogged and get this- THERE WERE NO TOWELS IN THE ROOM- how can you call yourself an all inclusive when you don't even include towels?!?!?!? We requested towels to shower and they came the next day!! Four people in our group requested towels multiple times and they didn't receive towels the WHOLE TRIP!! They were walking around the room to air dry!!

Wifi was $30 for five days but the Wifi kept going in and out / on and off the whole time we were there. I guess it's still better than nothing?

The Restaurants? The happy chicken as one member of my group quoted should be called the SAD RAT- it was absolutely horrific/disgusting- I question whether the burger had real meat in it. The lines were horrendously long and the server didn't even serve us drinks because he had an axe to grind over the fact that we asked for a lot of food to start. Then they had the nerve to give you a survey asking for you to review the place- I am not going to review it then and there because I know the rest of my food will probably be poisoned during the rest of my trip. Speaking of which- I and 7 others of my group of ten came home and have spent the last 4 days on the toilet sick from the crap food eaten at this resort.

One tip to note- Try to avoid getting drinks with ice because it will still expose you to the same water you are trying to avoid. Thus, I could have been exposed through Pina Colada's.
The buffet food is less than palatable but when you are starving on day 3 anything looks good. My friend got to the breakfast buffet at the pyramid (near the lobby) at 10:50AM. The buffet closes at 11AM- when he went to grab food they actually TOOK THE food tray away even though they SAW him reaching for it- absolutely pathetic- what kind of service is this? People in the VIP Lounge felt bad and were offering us Yogurt and other items off their place as a result.

Outside of Miguel at the bar and Omar as a waiter- 85% of the people working here were unhelpful, and literally looked as if they don't want to be there. I heard from numerous workers that they get paid horribly and I felt bad. Thus, I tipped as much as I financially could- and that improved service just a bit. But if you don't tip regularly don't even think about getting any decent service- let alone being treated with respect- you will actually be looked down upon angrily by the workers.

The drinks at the bar as follows: SOL Beer (the only beer they have), Tequila that borders on being high quality gasoline, and Pina Colada's that have a speckle of rum in them at best. Stick with wine in the restaurants or beer as safer bets to prevent from getting bacteria-related illnesses that my group unfortunately contracted. Oh and it takes forever just to get one drink because they are very understaffed.

The major club coyote loco had an interesting crowd (and while that didn't matter) the actual club smelled like Urine- and my friend and I who went to check it out had to leave immediately.
While most of the action was the Oasis Cancun main bar, it was unfortunate that the Grand Oasis bar closed so early.

So let's see: Drinks: TERRIBLE, Food: HEINOUS/ Disgusting ROOMS: Uncomfortable Bed, dirty floors, No towels- well what's left? THE BEACH

I had to go to the gift shop in the lobby to buy water and spend 40 dollars at a time to survive being dehydrated because you have to PAY TO GET WATER. The room service gives you two small tiny bottles a day and that's it. Again I repeat- you have to PAY to get water at this resort.

Lucky for this resort- the one thing they don't have any control over is the beach. The beautiful turquoise blue water was incredible and the sand was great. It was almost surreal how the first two days we were there with the bad thunder storm weather- the service at the resort was horrid. But when the sun came up things picked up slightly. Literally the only good thing at this resort was the beach- you can't mess up the beach thankfully!!

The pool parties were fun but this place has no jacuzzi which I was surprised by. The funniest part to me was when we went by the pool to get towels and that they actually RAN OUT OF TOWELS. So they have no towels in the room and can't even make sure they have towels by the pool? We had to walk to our rooms and through the hallway soaking wet.

Oh and security is VERY shady and will literally confront you about anything they can (like supposedly making too much noise at night near the beach) and threaten to take you to the front desk and call the police- when in reality all they want is $$$$$$ Money because as mentioned, they are getting paid poorly. Everyone has a price and the grand oasis cancun epitomizes this cliche'.

This place will nickel and dime you ANYWHERE it can:

I.E
DONT Lose your towel card it's $20.
DONT lose your wristband - replacing it is a WHOPPING $150.00
If you don't pay for the grand you will have to pay $ to get into the premium restaurants and the price isn't cheap for the gross food they are serving.
DONT eat at the happy chicken or 70% of the food places here - because you will be paying for it GREATLY in other ways later (as my friends and have found out)

If you want to bring a friend staying at another resort into Grand Oasis- EXPECT TO have to pay $60!!!

When my friends and I checked out and they cut our bracelets we felt like we were released from Guantanamo Bay. I literally felt a sense of relief and freedom that my stay in this hell hole was over. And NO I am not being overzealous- this place is REALLY THAT BAD.

Management can respond and try to justify this disgusting hell-hole but it won't matter- I saw with my own eyes the pathetic excuse for a hotel let alone an all-inclusive that the GRAND Oasis claims to be.

If this is the GRAND Oasis in the Mexican Desert- then I'd rather rot as a corpse in the hot sand then ever have to be guest at this prison err resort EVER again.

Oh and their slogan Oasis Loves You is true- they love to take your money. I wish I could box up my bowel movements from the last 4 days and send it to hotel management
because hey Oasis, if that's how you show love- then I love you too.

Room Tip: Grand Oasis Rooms are the SAME as the Oasis. Only difference is you get access to a few more places...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
25 Thank JrTheFuture
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry that we haven't met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize.
Also, we want to let you know that all of your comments and opinions will be taken into account to offer a better service in the future and we will submit them to all departments in charged to correct these issues.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future to enhance your experience and perception of the Hotel.

Best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,085)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Cambeisge
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Me and my friend had our holiday here , the day we arrived from shuttle to reception people of reception were really good and sorted us almost immediately , (great start ) . Welcoming people in Mexico from room service cleaners hotel staff were great , all security was on top form . Amazing v I p lounge on the beach the pool was massive plenty space for everyone (but watch you belonging , my Gucci sun glasses and shirts went AWOL , still in the holiday spirit due to the live music and amazing djs and stage dancers plenty entertainment for all but the holiday really for me was on the beach , danced that hard still got the blisters to prove it , the dj knows his stuff , the trip to the 7 wonders pyramids was great and the staff who did the tour with us was really friendly it was one of the best experiences of my life , food was great I'm not a big eater but the fresh fruit in breakfast was plentyful and always fresh , burgers was delicious and BBQ was . Well done guys especially the dj who kept me dancing till my feet couldn't take no more (Ibraham) you was just great . Will fetch the wife and kids next time

1 Thank Kakashaz
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share such detailed comments about your experience. Also, thank you also for your observations; this helps us recognize our areas of opportunity so we can provide a better service in the future.

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

First I'd like to mention that I was a little sceptical when reading some of the reviews but my stay was brilliant ! Each to there own I say . Had no problems in booking in might of been a little longer than expected but hey that's not to moan about , staying at the grand oasis was a brilliant experience just what I needed , great food great staff great entertainment , the pool is awesome . Room was clean cleaners was very polite and attended to everything ! The djs were brilliant kept me on my feet hardly heard the same tune twice , Abraham is an awesome dj knows his stuff I tell ya , all in all I had a great time and will be back , u guys n gals work hard a deserve great reviews u all get a thumbs up from me

3 Thank Keelkeel
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and we are delighted to have met your expectations.
We are glad you enjoyed our daily shows and activities since we work really hard to keep our guests entertained and make sure they have an amazing time with us.

It is gratifying to receive such great comments regarding our staff; we will surely congratulate them for their terrific job.

Hope to see you again on your next visit to Cancun.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I had a 2 week stay here with my husband , the hotel was spotless the food was good , staff was pleasant and helpful, had amazing time there defo go again the atmosphere was brilliant , the dj Abraham was keeping everything going with the excellent music and party experience hes wicked , made my holiday that bit more special , will defo return 100% !!!

2 Thank Aanisa
Dear Guest.

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit to Cancun. Likewise express our appreciation for the flattering words we received from your stay with us.
We are delighted to have met your expectations and that your stay was enjoyable.
It has been a pleasure to serve you and we hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I assumed people were over reacting when I read the reviews. Nope, everyone is 110% right about this place. Horrible service, rude employees, and it takes at least 20 mins to get a drink at any of the bars. Actually one time I was given the same drink as a child, so I had to wait another 10 minutes for him to acknowledge the fact that I needed rum in the drink.
This place is over booked and very crowded. Some mornings we had to wait for breakfast for 20-30 mins. Lunch was also a nightmare, lines everywhere you go. The Italian restaurant was by far the best.

There were a lot of things we weren't aloud to have because we didn't upgrade to the grand bracelet. If we wanted dinner we had to eat before 530 or else we had to pay $16 USD per person to eat at basically every good restaurant. EVENTHOUGH the places were completely empty every night... Totally bogus.
If it weren't for my mother and sister, who I travelled with, I would have been completely miserable.
I will admit the weather was fantastic and the beach is extremely beautiful, but I will never return to the Oasis or Grand Oasis.
Worst resort I've ever been to. (We've stayed in playa del Carmen 6+ times and never had any complaints.)

Happy travels folks!

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jessraereim
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry that we haven't met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered.

We greatly appreciate all the suggestions you mentioned, they certainly help us improve in order to satisfy the expectations of our future guests the best way possible.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to change your perception of us.

Best regards.

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Greensburg, Indiana
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This was our 2nd time staying at the Oasis Cancun and 5th trip to Cancun or Riviera Location. This time we stayed at the Grand Oasis side and they upgraded us for our 30th anniversary. The Grand side was a much better fit for us vs the Oasis side being a much younger crowd. However we spent plenty of time over there in the evenings and had no issues with the younger folks.

Check in was quick and very pleasant in the VIP area. Our room had a beautiful view and suited us just fine for a 3.5 to 4 star facility. Maid service was Johnny on the spot every morning after I started tipping every morning, they deserve a tip. Frige had an issue but they was there to fix it that day. AC was comfortable.

Facility and pool is still very clean and the beach is awesome. Plenty of chairs just wish they had cushions to be a little more comfortable.

Food was just fine. Actually I liked the buffets better then the ala carte restaurants for the most but we never was hunger or wanted to go anywhere else to eat. Beer was good having more then one selection depending which bar you went to. Certain bars had top shelf liquor which that's where we had to go for Gin. My only complaint was they would run out of brand stuff for a few days. The cheap stuff had a funny taste and just couldn't drink it.

The nightly shows in the lobby were excellent, and we really enjoyed the music around the facility at different places.

Overall we had a great time and are going to start going back every year for our anniversary.!! We'd love to stay at the grand again and have our same room or be in the same area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wade R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments, we are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and we are delighted to have met your expectations.

Also we appreciate you for your observations and comments, we will definitely consider them as areas of opportunity to continue providing the best service possible to all our distinguished guests.

Furthermore, we are glad you enjoyed our rooms and, since we work really hard to make sure our guests have an amazing time with us.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.

Douglasville, Georgia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My boyfriend took me to Grand Oasis last month and we loved it. Our idea of a vacation is to relax, drink, sleep, eat, play, RELAX, EAT - and we had no problem doing any of those things. The property was extremely clean - I was amazed at the friendliness of the staff - from housekeeping to the bartenders to the front desk. The buffet restaurants were very good - lots of selection - and the abundance of restaurants was great! I was a little disappointed with the Asian one as the only "sushi" offered was California rolls. Other than that, had a wonderful experience all the way around.

The "concierge" staff was extremely friendly and talking with them felt like talking with an old friend! All of the staff that we had contact with spoke English - some better than others - but we also tried out the little Spanish that we remember from high school.

I didn't give them the full 5 stars only because WiFi was an extra charge, even in the lobby apparently. C'mon - we're in 2014 -- let's keep up with technology guys!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer L
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us, we feel completely honored that we were able to make your visit so pleasant and that we met your expectations.
Furthermore, we appreciate you have taken the time to share your experience, this helps us know our strengths and weaknesses so we can provide a better service day by day.

Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable.

Regardless of the setbacks, we are extremely glad to know you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.
We look forward on welcoming you once again; please feel free to contact us prior to your arrival if we can assist you with anything to make your next stay a unique experience.

Best regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Grand Oasis Sens
Grand Oasis Sens
#83 of 175 in Cancun
Great Parnassus Family Resort

Been to Grand Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!