“AVOID AT ALL COSTS! Grand Oasis HATES You!”
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #90 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“AVOID AT ALL COSTS! Grand Oasis HATES You!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I'll start off by saying that my father has worked in the hotel industry my entire life, so I've stayed everywhere from the most basic resorts to the top tier resorts

GRAND OASIS CANCUN IS THE WORST RESORT/HOTEL I'VE STAYED AT IN MY LIFE!
Everything that could be wrong about this hotel in fact is true.

I stayed at this resort for 5 days for a bachelor party and had the worst experience and 1 week later still sick from the disgusting food and beverages!

I will start off with the "ALL INCLUSIVE"- The all-inclusive package comes with food that I wouldn't even feed to a dog (with the exception of their italian restaurant which I luckily found the last 2 days). The alcohol is low grade, may as well be jet fuel or rubbing alcohol. The blended drinks are horrible as well, high in sugar and SALTY. Every single restaurant and buffet I dined at was pathetic, worse than cafeteria food in public schools!

ROOM- Upon arrival to the resort, we were told that the hotel was OVERBOOKED, when we made prior reservations well before arriving to mexico. While being told the place was sold out, others were being checked in (watch out for wandering workers not behind the desk, they will try to hustle you). After 2 hours of talking to a manager, my friend and I were placed in a SINGLE bed room with a cot that looked like it came from a medical ward as the 2nd bed. When requesting this be corrected we were told "WE WILL NOT DO ANYTHING TO ACCOMIDATE YOU, YOU ALREADY PAID AND WE ARE NOT CHANGING YOUR ROOM). The workers are very rude and actually stare you down with a unwelcoming look rather than prioviding hospitality. Upon entering our room, we saw that it was dusty, the closet leaked water and the shower was damaged and had a metal stopper that was shrp and hazardous which could have sliced off my toe or my friends. The room had very old furnishings, the bedding was questionable and we had NO TOWELS (which was a running issue the entire weekend, there was a massive SHORTAGE of towels).

Wifi was $30 for five days but was low quality, only worked in certain areas of the resort and either loaded slow or kept dropping causing you to reconnect from the login page

RESTAURANTS- The lines were RIDICULOUSLY long and the servers were not nice unless you TIP THEM (I thought this was all inclusive?). If you don't stay at the grand you will have to pay $ to get into the premium restaurants. I've been home for 1 week and I still have the stomach flu, throwing up and terrible diharreah. One of my friends is on antibiotics because he got so sick from the food after returning home. AVOID getting drinks with ice because it will still expose you to the Mexico water you are trying to avoid.

There were two people in the entire resort who were nice: Miguel at the bar near the Chinese restaurant and Omar a waiter. 99% of the pother staff were unhelpful, rude and disrespectful.

I paid for all inclusive and almost starved to death the 5 days I spent there because the only things I could stand to eat were soup and vegetables.

Lucky the one thing that is amazing is the beach. The water is beautiful blue and the beach has white sand along with all of the water activities you can pay extra for.

The pool parties were AWESOME but that is about nit. There is NO JACUZZI. Be careful with red towels because they will CHARGE $20 you if you lose it or someone steals yours. One day I went to the pool and was told they were out and it would be TWO HOURS before there would be fresh ones. WHAT KIND OF RESORTS DOESNT HAVE TOWELS FOR GUEST TO USE AT THE POOL OR BEACH? My friends and I spend most of our stay walking to our rooms and through the hallways soaking wet.

SECURITY- VERY shady and will hassel you about anything they can and threaten to take you to the front desk and call the police. As said in other reviews: THIS PLACE WILL NICKEL & DIME YOU!

DONT LOSE YOUR WRISTBAND - replacing it is $150.00
If you want to bring a gueststaying at another resort cost is $60

I AM ABSOLUTELY DISSASITISFIED WITH MY STAY AT THIS RESORT. I felt like second class citizen at this resort and that I was forced to deal with it for 5 days and I think thats why they do it, you already paid and traveled to from another country and have no choice.

This is the place to party, but what comes with it is not worth it.... CHOOSE SOMEWHERE ELSE PLEASE

-27 Year old male from United States

Room Tip: None, avoid staying here if you can!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Joseph B
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry that we were not able meet your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and let you know that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.

Furthermore, we are very devoted to our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you encountered so we can enforce and improve the service, since your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.

Regarding the inconvenience with the room assignation, the type of bed depends on the room you booked and if a change is required, we do our best to accommodate our guests but it is subject to availability upon arrival.

We have seven different restaurants all throughout the hotel and we offer a unique concept and high quality food in each one. Likewise, our hotel is audited and certified by a company that measures and ensures the high quality and hygiene of our ingredients. This way we make sure that every dish that leaves our kitchen meets our guests’ standards.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.

Best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Where to begin….the trip we planned for our daughter’s high school graduation was going to be spectacular at the Grand Oasis Cancun! Aside from being in Cancun, which is always beautiful, the resort was a complete disappointment. Starting with the front desk upon arrival – which is never a good sign. We stood at the counter for 10 minutes without eye-contact or a greeting from the three employees in front of us discussing a slip of paper. We then moved to another employee, Christina, who was very pleasant. The rooms were not equipped with a clock or an iron – which is standard in most lower-end hotels these days. And it is ridiculous that a safe is not standard either. No extra room towels even after requesting them. The room temperature was never good, and our daughter’s room was the same, along with a toilet issue, that was never resolved, even after multiple requests. Our first stop was the sushi restaurant – we had someone take our drink order who then indicted someone else would arrive to take our food order. We received our drink order and then finally left after realizing that taking our food order was not going to happen. The drinks were clearly made from powder or artificial fruit juices, and a straw was out of the question. We did go back to the sushi restaurant later that evening, still the same two employees working very hard to keep up with the small crowd they had in the restaurant – our food and drink orders were taken (separately of course) and the food was just OK. The Phase I pool seemed to have the most entertainment, as there was music played during the day, but the other part of the pool, which I assume is Phase II, was boring. One mistake of ours was selecting a family resort, so there were many small children, and yes we did know this would be the case. However, on Saturday’s it appears the resort must be available for local day passes, because the pool was overwhelmed with families and their children. The next morning breakfast – which was available in two locations (buffet style) – the food was awful every day we gave it a try hoping it would be different. We select an all-inclusive resort so that we don’t have to leave, but because the food was below expectations we did go elsewhere for food in the evening. Room service isn’t included in this resort’s all-inclusive package, which is uncommon, at least in our experience. The employees were very unfriendly, this includes the grounds keepers, maids, waitress and managers. The Coffee & Me bar, never had coffee, even though there’s a menu for coffee. We did have two employees who were very nice at this bar, Miguel and Sergio. Our daughter and her friend had one of their towels taken at the pool, and we were going to be charged $150 for a towel, so paperwork was involved and a manager did waive the charge. Towel cards are pointless. There is a “sports” bar, that smelled of ketchup and was not close to being a “sports” bar, but rather a day care for children under 10. Coyote Loco was a disappointment as well – so there was absolutely no entertainment, night clubs or dance venues at this resort. The grounds were very beautiful. The hallways of the buildings were very dark (unsafe, in my mind), the lights above most rooms were burned out and the lighting in the rooms (bathroom especially) were awful--very dark. The bathrooms located around the resort were all downstairs and again, very dark and could have defintely been cleaned on an hourly basis, but were not. We did visit the Grand Oasis Viva for a day, which was very nice, and the drinks were clearly made with fresh ingredients and they had straws---and didn’t even have to ask for one! The pool had music as well. After returning from our vacation, it was disappointing to say the resort was awful on every level.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Stacy C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your stay at our resort. We offer our sincere apologies that your time spent with us did not meet all your expectations. We would like to inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.
Furthermore, we are very committed to satisfying the needs of all our guests. Thank you for enlisting some points that we are going to enforce in order to improve the service, your comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost importance to us.

Despite this, we are glad you had a nice stay and that you enjoyed our facilities, location and personalized service. We work hard to create positive experiences for our guests to remember our hotel with a huge smile.

Thank you for your preference be sure that all your comments are very important to us and will be taken into account.

We hope to see you once again soon.

Kind regards.

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 15 May 2014

To preface this review, I am American and I understand that my expectations and tastes may be different than people from other countries. We have stayed in Cancun resorts every year for 14 years. Typically, we find that more than half of the guests are from the US or Canada. The week were at GOC, I would guess it was less than 10%. If that is the norm, it would explain why this hotel didn't meet my personal American expectations.
The grounds, pool, beach and hotel were clean and beautiful. With a few adjustments and improvements, this could be a great resort.
Check In: We stood in line for about 15 mins for the next available check in person. We walked to the counter and stood for over 10 minutes more and we're never greeted. Another check in person became available, Christina, and she was wonderful.
After checking in, an employee wanted to go over the map with us and describe the amenities. Since it is so big, we welcomed an explanation. After about 30 seconds, he switched from explaining the amenities to trying to get us to buy a time share. After 5 days, I still don't know the difference between the Grand Oasis and the Oasis.
Room: Air Conditioner didn't work very well. Toilet was broken. Called maintenance 2 times and it was never fixed. Good size closet and dresser. The biggest disappointments were that there was no clock in the room, no iron, hall way was dimly lit and couldn't see room numbers at night, there is a daily fee for the safe and it's the old fashioned kind with a key, shower drain was broken, shower faucet handle kept falling off, no hand towels.
Pool towels require a plastic card and completing name, room number and signature in a book. If you lose your card, it's $150 USD. We had a towel taken from our chair one day and they tried to charge me for the towel.
There is also a hefty fine for losing your room key, which is just a thin plastic disposable key, you wrist band, and the safe key.
The restaurants were very disappointing. Aside from Brazilian and Tapas Restaurants, the food and service was horrible. We were seated at the sushi restaurant and sat for over 20 minutes without being approached before we gave up and left. I usually bring $200 to tip the waiters and bartenders because they give such great service. I rarely felt compelled to tip the waiters. We felt lucky to get a cup of coffee in the breakfast buffet! The breakfast buffet had leftovers from the previous night.
Lots of children and no adult only pool. The hotel allows the locals to get day passes to the hotel.
Quick fixes: update the rooms, teach the staff to be nice, get rid of the paperwork - towels, safes, and room keys are not rocket science, and improve food quality.
We ended up going to Grand Oasis Viva 2 days. That was a wonderful resort! The employees were very nice, the drinks were better, and they don't require a name or card for a pool towel. We will return to GOV.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bob C
Dear Guest,

We hope to see you once again soon.

Kind regards.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

1st time in cancun and the grand oasis is beautiful. The hotel and the grounds are amazing and the best private beach. The food is decent but you get alot of beef and is sometimes cold, however there are many onsite restaurants/bars/snack places where you can eat. I stayed in 4510, beautiful white room which was cleaned and re stocked everyday. The grand oasis is beautiful so is the service no problems with staff at all. You will not be disappointed 7/10!!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Stephhair
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to greet you and at the same time we thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Cancun.

We appreciate you have taken the time to share your experience, this helps us know our strengths and weaknesses so we can provide a better service day by day.

Furthermore, we are extremely glad you enjoyed the restaurants, rooms, facilities, entertainment and the beautiful beach of our Hotel.

We hope you can visit us again soon.

Saint-Zotique, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here last week. When you first get into the main grand pyramid its huge and super pretty. Once showed our rooms we noticed the bathtub was painted to cover some rust and it didnt drain. Thw toilet cover was not put on straight. The towels and bedding were always stained. Kinda gross but the beds were comfy and our view was amazing. We asked for ocean view. Just the view made the bad things seem okay. The ocean was just beautiful. The restaurants were average at best. They had weird times that they were open and closed. We had trouble finding food at around 4pm. Nothing was open but the sports bar on the oasis side. And let me tell you.. GROSS!! I have never been anywhere before with so many drunk teens partying. And the smell. The pool smelt of urine. I felt disgusting just walking past. Make sure if you do stay here get the Grand side. The drinks were gross and cups were never clean. The beer was flat. We are so lucky we wandered across the street to Blue Gecko. Super awesome staff and food! So in all. I wont go back there.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Kailin H
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay.
We appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience and for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, since your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.

We will be working in the maintenance of our facilities for our guests can rely on the safety and comfort of the hotel.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your experience and perception of the hotel.

Provo, Utah
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This hotel is one of my favorite ones in Cancun that is why I am back for the forth time. They now have the best shows of all hotels I have stayed at. It is like a small Las Vegas show. The people in these show are great. Also the one in the Arena was very funny. The food was even better this time. I ate at the Careyes twice,great service and food. Remember this restaurant is dress up, no shorts or sandals for the guys. The pool was very clean along with the beach. They had a car show on the golf course while I was there very well done. The golf was fun, only did it once. The rooms were very clean and the fridge stocked every day. If u want a fun loud time go to the North part of the resort, quiet on the South. I think this resort is one of the best buys watch for deals, and if like me go for more than 7 nites. I will be back to this resort again. Doug (Ut)

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the pyramid if not on the south side.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank wanttobetheir
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share such detailed comments about your experience, we feel completely honored that we were able to make your visit so pleasant and that we met your expectations.

We are glad you enjoyed our daily shows and activities since we work really hard to keep our guests entertained and make sure they have an amazing time with us.
It is gratifying to receive such great comments regarding our staff; we will surely congratulate them for their terrific job.

We look forward on welcoming you once again; please feel free to contact us prior to your arrival if we can assist you with anything to make your next stay a unique experience.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I'll preface my review with the following- I am a seasoned traveler having gone to Australia, Scandinavia/Western Europe, and more and have stayed at 1 star to 5 star resorts. I have been to Cancun multiple times at beautiful resorts like Iberostar. If you want a quick synopsis of my review before I go into detail: GRAND OASIS CANCUN IS THE WORST RESORT/HOTEL I'VE EVER STAYED AT..IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!- STAY AWAY!! All the bad reviews are absolutely true and I only wonder how much Grand Oasis paid reviewers to give the star rating it currently has. This place should be one star MAX. The all-inclusive tag is also a BLATANT LIE!! And YES I am angry because this place is a pathetic excuse for a resort. The managers and property owner should be ashamed of themselves.

My group of ten visited from May 3-May 7th. We arrived at Grand Oasis on the 3rd in the late afternoon. This is where things got troublesome.

We were waiting in the check-in line when one of the youngest members of the staff behind the counter asked some of the group to come with him. They asked him- to check in? He said Yes.

Little did my friends know once he got behind the counter he told them that they were OVERBOOKED and that we can't stay there that night and that they would put us in the Oasis Palm which was 30 minutes away (a worse rated resort) and that they would comp the night. Well- we didn't care because we rightfully paid ahead of time booking the rooms and they were not picking on the other people checking in the line- they just saw we were a large group of American kids and probably wanted to scam us.

While my three Spanish speaking friends of our group were arguing with the kid at the counter and then the shady manager of the front desk, a group of four of us out of ten proceeded to check- in WITHOUT any issues!!! SO basically the manager and the other person lied flat out to our faces.

When the manager realized that one of his workers made the grave mistake of checking us in he proceeded to yell at the worker right in front of us and then let all of us finally check-in- STRIKE 1 from this SHADY/SCAM like resort.

Once checked in we got into the rooms- the rooms were clean by appearance but not by detail AKA dust everywhere, the SAFE IN THE ROOM was broken, the shower drain was clogged and get this- THERE WERE NO TOWELS IN THE ROOM- how can you call yourself an all inclusive when you don't even include towels?!?!?!? We requested towels to shower and they came the next day!! Four people in our group requested towels multiple times and they didn't receive towels the WHOLE TRIP!! They were walking around the room to air dry!!

Wifi was $30 for five days but the Wifi kept going in and out / on and off the whole time we were there. I guess it's still better than nothing?

The Restaurants? The happy chicken as one member of my group quoted should be called the SAD RAT- it was absolutely horrific/disgusting- I question whether the burger had real meat in it. The lines were horrendously long and the server didn't even serve us drinks because he had an axe to grind over the fact that we asked for a lot of food to start. Then they had the nerve to give you a survey asking for you to review the place- I am not going to review it then and there because I know the rest of my food will probably be poisoned during the rest of my trip. Speaking of which- I and 7 others of my group of ten came home and have spent the last 4 days on the toilet sick from the crap food eaten at this resort.

One tip to note- Try to avoid getting drinks with ice because it will still expose you to the same water you are trying to avoid. Thus, I could have been exposed through Pina Colada's.
The buffet food is less than palatable but when you are starving on day 3 anything looks good. My friend got to the breakfast buffet at the pyramid (near the lobby) at 10:50AM. The buffet closes at 11AM- when he went to grab food they actually TOOK THE food tray away even though they SAW him reaching for it- absolutely pathetic- what kind of service is this? People in the VIP Lounge felt bad and were offering us Yogurt and other items off their place as a result.

Outside of Miguel at the bar and Omar as a waiter- 85% of the people working here were unhelpful, and literally looked as if they don't want to be there. I heard from numerous workers that they get paid horribly and I felt bad. Thus, I tipped as much as I financially could- and that improved service just a bit. But if you don't tip regularly don't even think about getting any decent service- let alone being treated with respect- you will actually be looked down upon angrily by the workers.

The drinks at the bar as follows: SOL Beer (the only beer they have), Tequila that borders on being high quality gasoline, and Pina Colada's that have a speckle of rum in them at best. Stick with wine in the restaurants or beer as safer bets to prevent from getting bacteria-related illnesses that my group unfortunately contracted. Oh and it takes forever just to get one drink because they are very understaffed.

The major club coyote loco had an interesting crowd (and while that didn't matter) the actual club smelled like Urine- and my friend and I who went to check it out had to leave immediately.
While most of the action was the Oasis Cancun main bar, it was unfortunate that the Grand Oasis bar closed so early.

So let's see: Drinks: TERRIBLE, Food: HEINOUS/ Disgusting ROOMS: Uncomfortable Bed, dirty floors, No towels- well what's left? THE BEACH

I had to go to the gift shop in the lobby to buy water and spend 40 dollars at a time to survive being dehydrated because you have to PAY TO GET WATER. The room service gives you two small tiny bottles a day and that's it. Again I repeat- you have to PAY to get water at this resort.

Lucky for this resort- the one thing they don't have any control over is the beach. The beautiful turquoise blue water was incredible and the sand was great. It was almost surreal how the first two days we were there with the bad thunder storm weather- the service at the resort was horrid. But when the sun came up things picked up slightly. Literally the only good thing at this resort was the beach- you can't mess up the beach thankfully!!

The pool parties were fun but this place has no jacuzzi which I was surprised by. The funniest part to me was when we went by the pool to get towels and that they actually RAN OUT OF TOWELS. So they have no towels in the room and can't even make sure they have towels by the pool? We had to walk to our rooms and through the hallway soaking wet.

Oh and security is VERY shady and will literally confront you about anything they can (like supposedly making too much noise at night near the beach) and threaten to take you to the front desk and call the police- when in reality all they want is $$$$$$ Money because as mentioned, they are getting paid poorly. Everyone has a price and the grand oasis cancun epitomizes this cliche'.

This place will nickel and dime you ANYWHERE it can:

I.E
DONT Lose your towel card it's $20.
DONT lose your wristband - replacing it is a WHOPPING $150.00
If you don't pay for the grand you will have to pay $ to get into the premium restaurants and the price isn't cheap for the gross food they are serving.
DONT eat at the happy chicken or 70% of the food places here - because you will be paying for it GREATLY in other ways later (as my friends and have found out)

If you want to bring a friend staying at another resort into Grand Oasis- EXPECT TO have to pay $60!!!

When my friends and I checked out and they cut our bracelets we felt like we were released from Guantanamo Bay. I literally felt a sense of relief and freedom that my stay in this hell hole was over. And NO I am not being overzealous- this place is REALLY THAT BAD.

Management can respond and try to justify this disgusting hell-hole but it won't matter- I saw with my own eyes the pathetic excuse for a hotel let alone an all-inclusive that the GRAND Oasis claims to be.

If this is the GRAND Oasis in the Mexican Desert- then I'd rather rot as a corpse in the hot sand then ever have to be guest at this prison err resort EVER again.

Oh and their slogan Oasis Loves You is true- they love to take your money. I wish I could box up my bowel movements from the last 4 days and send it to hotel management
because hey Oasis, if that's how you show love- then I love you too.

Room Tip: Grand Oasis Rooms are the SAME as the Oasis. Only difference is you get access to a few more places...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
25 Thank JrTheFuture
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry that we haven't met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize.
Also, we want to let you know that all of your comments and opinions will be taken into account to offer a better service in the future and we will submit them to all departments in charged to correct these issues.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future to enhance your experience and perception of the Hotel.

Best regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
Grand Oasis Sens
Grand Oasis Sens
#84 of 175 in Cancun
Great Parnassus Family Resort

Been to Grand Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!