“25th Anniversary”
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #95 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We just returned this morning (July 25, 2014) to Indiana from the Grand Oasis Cancun which was amazingly beautiful! The maintenance, housekeeping and dining service staff were wonderful and extremely helpful! The timeshare salesmen were annoying and pretty pushy, if you avoid them long enough they will eventually leave you alone. The bartenders do not add alcohol to the mixed drinks unless you request it, although they don't inform you of this and we tipped very well for each of our drinks. The lines at the restaurants moved quickly, we liked Joy's the best. The nightclubs pretty much cater to the Mexican traditions even though they advertise otherwise. Kinky' s had a Mexican dance show, Coyote Loco had a live band that only sang songs in Spanish, the live band on stage at the furthest building had a mariachi band, and Coco's closed early our last evening at the resort which left us a little disappointed. We changed rooms due to the first room not having a bathtub or working air. The second room was on a much nicer floor with an awesome lobby view of the ocean. The room had a bathtub, but no stopper and the shower came on regardless, so if you want to sit and take a shower you will be fine. It would be nice if there were snack bars and maybe more continental breakfast items available. Overall the resort is fabulous, but the rooms are in desperate need of updating. Who goes to sit in the room anyways? A few things I wish i would have known: 1. Take plenty of ones, the resort does not give change. 2. There isn't anything within walking distance. 3. If you visit Market 28, you have to walk to the bus stop in front of Walmart to return to the resort. 4. Do not ride the bus anytime between 4:00 - 5:00 p.m., trust me!!!! 5. The GRAND in the Grand Oasis stands for amenities not a building.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have better views & seem to be more updated.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cehirst99
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you thought the pools and activities were great. We offer our apologies for the inconvenience you had with the air conditioning, rest assured we have passed the issue on to our maintenance department to investigate and fix. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us, we wanted to let you know that our staff is prohibited from demanding tips from guests, thank you for pointing out the incident so we can take action and avoid it in the future.
We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (10,737)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Me and my family booked this vacation a year in advance. All excited to go only to find out how bad this resort was. Not sure if it was the time of year being summer. BUT;
The room was extremely hot, the fridge was hot, the bathroom had either extremely hot water or freezing water, no towels (had to call and order over and over).
The food and drinks were horrible, no hospitality at all. Restaurants were hot.
The area of the pool by the bar's smelled horrid (like barf) frozen drinks we watered down, cups were rinsed and washed in some type of disgusting bucket, bring your own cup.
It was just horrible, we ended up having to make the best of it as I said we had waited over a year for this vacation.
Definitely never going to Mexico again. No service at all.

2  Thank michi1467
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your stay at our resort. We offer our sincere apologies that your time spent with us did not meet all your expectations. We would like to inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service. It is important to highlight that every time you have a setback at the hotel you can contact our customer service staff to notify them so they can correct the situation. We hope you give us the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future and if there is anything you need please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards.

Disappointing

Let me start by saying this review is incredibly long but it covers every aspect of our trip from a to z..thank you for reading it.

We were so excited to be returning to Mexico, a place that we absolutely love. From the culture of the people to the amazing hospitality and the beautiful scenery we couldn't wait. We had looked at many a resort in Mexico and chose to stay at the Grand Oasis. We chose here because it's a little away from downtown and right by Aquaworld as we like to do many activities while in Mexico. We previously had stayed at the Fiesta Americana and loved it and this resort was right beside it and wanted to try something new.
   We arrived at the hotel to an amazingly beautiful atrium.Very very impressive. We then proceeded to check in where we immediately asked about the room size, as many reviews had complained about the size of the rooms. The gentleman at the front desk was very kind and let us choose a different room and we paid an upgrade to get a bigger suite. We got all checked in and headed to the room. After unpacking it was about 5 pm so we decided to head to find something to eat. This is where the downfall began. I remember reading one review and the gentleman said it was great for about 10 minutes, while we lasted a little longer than that but not much. We went to the buffet as we just wanted to grab something quick and explore the resort. When multiple people complain about the food quality it sets a pattern, one we should have listened to. Needless to say we didn't eat there as the quality was poor. No problem we said we weren't going to let that ruin our stay as they have 14 other restraunts  to try out so we headed to the Rodizio the Brazilian steakhouse. The meat was charred and burnt and came out about 1 different selection of meat every 10 minutes. Getting frustrated with the Rodizio we decided just to go back to our room and order room service. There is a convenience charge and room service is not all inclusive. By this time I was irate as we had set out at 5 pm to try to find something to eat and it was now 8pm..I immediately went out down to the front desk and explained my situation to the gentleman at the front desk who gave me the answer of room service is always a charge. Not willing to accept that answer, I asked for his boss, explained the situation and got told the same thing, there is always a charge for room service. Not liking that answer I kept going up the chain until the head guy agreed to comp our room service. Him and I also had an understanding that we would be able to get room service anytime we wanted and not be charged for it as nowhere does it say on Expedia, Book It, Booking, Hotels.com and Trip Advisor that room service is extra. So him and I had an understanding about false advertising. Long story short folks, room service will cost unless you are like myself and will not stop until you get what you paid for.
   The next day we arose and my son says lets put yesterday behind us and have a great day today. What an amazing attitude. While the only thing open for breakfast was the buffet, so we headed down there. The buffet is a breakfast buffet like all others so don't get your hopes up to much. We kind of expected that as we had read other reviews stating the same. That wasn't the problem. The problem was the service. Now let me state before we go any further we took $300 in ones with us as we do tip for great service as we used to work in the service industry as well so we know how it goes. Multiple times we had to get our own coffee and water and at first when the servers saw us doing that they were upset. Fine, then please do your jobs. My wife kindly explained we had asked multiple people and waited forever. Like I said we have been in the service industry before and my wife hit it on the head. They are not staffed for the amount of people they service. The were never more than 4 servers in the buffet areas expected to serve you, clear your tables, bring you drinks and set the tables all over again. We came to find out after talking to multiple servers they are just as frustrated as the people they wait on. The servers really are great people they just are not put in a situation to be successful. After eating we decided to go explore the grounds. One word BEAUTIFUL..the grounds are impeccably manicured and taken care of. This place has the largest beach area of any resort we have stayed at they do an amazing job with the upkeep. I had mentioned the atrium and how impressive t was while the outside grounds are just as impressive. Time to eat again. I will not bore you all with the specifics but lets just say similar issues as before there just isn't enough staff to take care of all the people they serve.  I will tell you after a couple of days of bad service we found Roberto. What an amazing individual. Whenever you are at the buffet for lunch or dinner ask for Roberto. He is truly amazing and does his job very well. We would always ask him when he was working and make sure we asked for him.
   I'll talk now about the Internet. We knew from reading reviews prior to that there would be a charge so it was no surprise. What was a surprise was how horribly it worked. It was an on and off problem. Sometime it worked and most of the time it didn't. When we complained about it we were told to call a number as they have no control over it. So just be prepared the internet is not what you can expect when paying for it and you will not get help resolving your problems.
   After a few days there we decided to try the restraunts that you had to have reservations for. We knew from reading reviews that we had to make reservations 24 hours prior. Here is what no review we read told us. You need to make them 48 hours prior as that's how fast they book up. When you go to make the reservations they will tell you they do not make them out that far in advance but with a little prodding they will. Also our son goes everywhere with us and we were told at the "fine" resteraunts kids are not allowed. While again I wasn't going to accept that so after talking to 4 levels of managers they decided it was okay for my son to go to the resteraunts. Could of saved themselves a lot of headache and me a lot of yelling had they just said that in the first place. This is something on a regular basis that was complained about by multiple people. While I was in the concierge office for a different reason one day the was a gentleman and his wife that got so upset about this and we're asked to leave the concierge office. I mean you go on vacation to a place that advertises 24 hour reservations and get told no they are full and then get told you cannot take your kids, it doesn't set well with a lot of people. I later on saw this guy and his wife on the property and asked him how it turned out. While they got into the resteraunt that night and we able to take their kids. Why don't they just allow it up front. The management here really does not give the people the tools to do their job.
   As I previously stated we do a lot of activities while we are in Mexico that's why we wanted to stay at the Grand Oasis which is right across the street from Aquaworld. It is very convenient and lots of water sports to do. Aquaworld is a great place and is run very very well.
   The VIP lounge. Let's just say the service here is great. What is not great is on multiple occasions that had run out of bottled water and wine. We would go here because Internet works the best here and we would have drinks prior to going out to eat elsewhere. While many a times we would ask for water and be told we would have to wait as they had to go get more and more often than not they were out of red wine. Here is just yet another example of management not giving the people the tools to do their job. It is really disappointing because the people want to do a good job and they can't because they do not have the stuff. Again they will tell you the same thing if asked.
   On one day my son had gotten ill. I believe it was from staying out in the sun to long. While we went down to the buffet as he was craving fruit. My wife and I went in grabbed a plate and told the waiter the issue and he said let me ask the manager because no food is allowed to leave the buffet. The manager actually picked up the sign and read it to the server. While the server told us no. Again not accepting that as an answer my wife this time had a conversation with the manager. Long story short we were allowed to take food back to the room for our son. Again just another example of management not allowing the people to shine. I can completely understand not allowing food to free flow out of the buffet but when someone ask as their son is sick and you tell the waiter no but then allow it to happen you completely undermine the credibility of the server.
   One thing that was a very nice surprise is the nightly shows they put on here. They are truly spectacular and after staying here 2 weeks we were able to see them all. This is a treat that you can look forward to every night.
   I would sum this review up with saying the management at this place is terrible, from the staffing of the place, not giving the people the tools to be successful at their job and undermining  the staff by having them say no when they are allowed to say yes. For these reasons stated I have given this place a 2.
When management Responds as they will I encourage you to read their responses as they are typically generic responses and they truly do not care about solving root cause issues that's why there are so many reviews that say the same thing and does not improve..
Shane

Room Tip: Visit the room before you commit
3  Thank Shastings1

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share such detailed comments about your experience and offer our sincere apologies that your time spent with us did not meet all your expectations. We would like to inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.
Despite being an all-inclusive resort, some amenities and services have an additional charge as stipulated on our website.
It is important for us to let you know that we are very committed to satisfying the needs of all our guests, this is why our customer service supported you during your stay.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

As soon as we arrived the bell men rushed over to check our bags in. The one lied to us that he would get us an early check in, if we took care of him. This was the beginning of us being hounded for tips, the bellmen hitting on us & several false promises. Nothing but draft Mexican beer or 2 canned Mexican beers in your refridgerator. Well liquor drinks, unless you tipped well. The first room we received was facing the garden with "no" ocean view, so we upgraded for about $400 more. The whirl pool had orange water come out & the bathroom smelled like urine. The shower glass door leaked all over the bathroom hallway floor & after walking from the bathroom, I slipped, fell backwards and hit the back of my head. They mop the floors daily & use a squeegee to scrape up excess water. This leaked through our front door & closets, making our floors slippery as well. Also, the sushi was horrible & their other food was average. Both families & Spring Break crowd were there. Not worth the headache or money..

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Detroit-14

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share such detailed comments about your experience. We are truly sorry that it was not an optimal vacation and that it caused some inconveniences with your room, we will be paying special attention to the maintenance of our facilities to avoid any issues in the future.
We wanted to let you know that our staff is prohibited from demanding tips from guests, thank you for pointing out the incident so we can take action and avoid it in the future.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to change your perception of us.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Went on a girls holiday with two friends and had a fantastic time here. The hotel had a great atmosphere throughout the day, they had it chilled in the morning(we are from Scotland so got up to enjoy as much as the sun as possible) then it picked up to the party atmosphere after 12 which I thought was ideal as it got you right in the mood for going out later on! Check in was quick and simple, our room was perfect, no complaints. The food was decent enough, and the staff were extremely friendly and nice! The beach was unreal, absolutely stunning! The only downfall had to be our towels not being changed every day but after a few days we asked and then we were given fresh clean ones with no hassle. And WiFi is a tad expensive but we only used it to contact parents at home to avoid our calls being expensive! Been to many party locations within Europe but this was our first outside Europe and has been a completely different experience, the atmosphere and vast amount of people from different cultures we met by the pool was amazing, and everyone was so friendly. Would go back in a second, can only imagine how much more amazing this would be at spring break! If you are young and want a good party holiday, stay here! If you are looking for a quieter holiday but would still like to soak up a bit of the party atmosphere from time to time, stay in the grand oasis which is connected to the oasis Cancun!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lauravalerie
Atención C, R.P. at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Laura,

Thank you for your kind words. It gives us great pleasure to know that you had such a great time during your stay with us, it was an honor having you as a guest. We are happy to hear you thought our gastronomic offer and entertainment were great. Our entertainment team works hard to put on activities and shows for our guests so we are delighted that you enjoyed these. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the very near future.

Best regards.

7/12-19 2014
Where should I start?!!!
Check-in: Well, when you first walk into the Oasis, it is very dark and depressing, and very hot (no A/C). We arrived at about 1PM. The room wasn't ready, which we expected because check-in isn't until 3PM. So, we changed into our bathing suits and went to the pool for 2 hrs.

Room: We went to check in our room and were VERY DISAPPOINTED. We had requested an ocean view, which we didn't get because they were "full". We did get a beautiful view of the bay and watched the sunset from our balcony in room 2586 which is the only positive comment that we have. When we went into our room, room service was still in there making the beds. There was NO CLOCK, NO MINI BAR, AND VERY LITTLE LIGHTING (no lamps, just a couple of spotlights in ceiling. The A/C worked a little, off and on, the whole week that we were there. It was very uncomfortable trying to sleep in the hot, humid room. The 1st day we got there, we got 2 bottles of water, but was told to call room service to receive any more, which would cost $15 each time you call. The smell in the room was HORRIBLE to the point that my husband had to run outside on the balcony and throw up over the balcony. It smelled like raw sewage, was very musty and was so nasty that we had to hold towels over our noses and open the door! We also had a leak in the ceiling 1 day and used towels to catch the water, or WHATEVER THE HELL WAS LEAKING OUT OF THE CEILING! No telling!!!!
Security: We like to lock up our valuables(wallets, passports, etc.) on vacation, especially in this type of environment! The only option was to get a safe with a bolt lock that you had to PAY $7 PER NIGHT TO USE!!! RIDICULOUS!!!!
Bars and drinks: NOT ALL INCLUSIVE!!!! After we got into our bathing suits, we went with our ORANGE WRIST BANDS to get a drink and something to eat from the bar and restaurant. The buffet-style restaurant that we ended up eating at pretty much every meal WAS CLOSED. IT IS ONLY OPEN CERTAIN HOURS OF THE DAY, AS WELL AS ALL OF THE OTHER RESTAURANTS THAT WE WERE PERMITTED TO EAT AT WITH OUR LOUSY ORANGE WRIST BAND. Apparently, it is really worth the upgrade to get BLACK WRIST BAND TO GO TO THE "GOOD RESTAURANTS". The drinks had about a drop of alcohol in them so you would have to order like 4 at a time, or just order a bunch of shots to add to your drink. Anyway, I just stopped drinking the last few days because the lines to get a drink were annoying and not worth it.
FOOD: Like I said, the only convenient restaurant that we were able to eat at with our orange wrist band was the buffet-style (Tatish Restaurant). The food was OK, but you had to wait in a line to get in for at least 20 minutes!!!! We tried the Italian Restaurant next to it, but waited for over an hour and went to the Sports Bar to get a snack and wait.
ENVIRONMENT: We expected a lot of kids, but it was a lot of kids AND IT WAS VERY LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS with all the people partying at the swim up bar and the DJ. I would definitely say this is a singles, party all night type of resort. Do not expect a calm, quiet vacation!!!!! Every night we were woken up by slamming doors, people yelling and screaming, and loud noise. It reminded me of Spring Break in college.
We were basically miserable the entire vacation. I would highly suggest reading reviews before you stay at any resort, which I failed to do for the Oasis.

Overall, I was disappointed and depressed the entire week and couldn't wait to get home! So...sad!!! I did stay at Secrets The Vine the previous year with my husband (no kids) and it was the BEST VACATION EVER, just in case you are going back! The beach was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL AND COULD NEVER LET YOU DOWN...but do not stay here!

Also, don't get sucked into a Unique Vacations Package like we did. We spent 5 hours there 1 day and it is a total waste of time. I am in the process of cancelling, but cannot reach anyone by phone or e-mail. I have left numerous messages and haven't heard back from ANYONE. They are unreachable. The only phone #'s that they give you are disconnected or go to voice mail in SPANISH!!!

Good luck on your vacation!

3  Thank Christine C

Dear Christine,

We appreciate your comments. We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you and your husband had regarding the room drain, air conditioning and smell, be assured that we have passed these issues on to our maintenance team that have worked to prevent this from occurring again. We would like to take this opportunity to explain that we do our best to assign your room as soon as possible even if the check-in is until 15:00 hrs. We cannot guarantee an early check-in due to high occupancy. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have.

Best regards.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

There are some good and some bad things about this place. The good things: food is great, service is good (not everywhere), beach is awesome! I really enjoyed the outside of this hotel. The bad things: the room was bad. There was a leak from above us, a constant drip that when the person about took a shower, we would see water in our bathroom. They also have other leaking issues through the building that I saw. The rooms are old and outdated, seemed somewhat clean. This is definitely a party place. People were shouting in the middle of the night (3am, 4am) and music is constant. If you are looking for quite, forget it. This is for a younger party crowd.The store in the lobby has minimal things, like smokes and water; no milk or food of any sort (snacks). If you have a baby, you must come prepared. I used a coffee maker to warm baby food (no micorwave anywhere in hotel). It is extremely humid, but it didn't matter to us. Some people are extremely nice while others don't care much, but mostly the service was good. This is NOT a family place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Atención C, R.P. at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our restaurants offer and our outside areas. We offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you had regarding the leak in your room, be assured that we have passed these issues on to our maintenance team that have worked to prevent this from occurring again. Please note that all of your comments and opinions such as the baby food, are very important to us and have already been submitted to the appropriate department to take the necessary actions to correct them and provide new options for you in the future. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us, we hope to welcome you and your parents back in the very near future.

Kind regards.