“Wonderful Vacation”

Royal Solaris Cancun
Ranked #40 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband & I stayed at the Royal Solaris in February with our 2 teenage daughters. The resort is very well maintained. The beach was amazing w/ great cocktail service by Roberto & our most favorite part of the resort. We were able to walk quite a distance both ways & my family really enjoyed the wave action. We only ate at the restaurant by the beach in the evening 1 time... it was Mexican night & the food & ambiance was wonderful! During the day, it is a great buffet. And we hit Marco Polo on the last night we were there & wish we would've tried it sooner, because we really enjoyed it. Otherwise we ate at the main buffet. Breakfast was pretty much the same each morning, but we're not big breakfast eaters anyway. A nice added feature for Valentine's Day was the heart shaped pancakes! The dinners were plentiful, different each night, & very good. Our favorite lunch spot was by the pool. There was chicken, riblets, burgers, hot dogs, cold sandwiches, French fries, fruit cups, nachos, and the best guac ever!! Right next to it was the stone oven pizza place where my girls ate at every day. Really good pizza! One day they had a chef out on the patio making paella. It was almost better than the paella that I had in Spain! :) The entertainment crew was great. My only wish was that they spent a little more time on the beach instead of the pool, so us enjoying the beautiful beach could partake in some events also. We did have a blast playing bocce ball with Oliver, but that was the only time we seen them on the beach. They did a great job for the evening shows. We have been to other resorts that start the shows @ 9 pm... hard to stay awake for them after a long day in the sun with cocktails. These started a bit earlier so we hit at least 4 of them. All quite entertaining. Our room was great w/ a beautiful view of the ocean. Cleaned every day with a towel design every once in a while. Across the road was free kayaking and sailboats and I think paddle boats too. We used the kayaks. Pretty fun! There was a pretty big hot tub that we used 1 time. I really can't say that it was "hot", but it was fine for a bit.
We did a few day trips. Day trip one was to Isla Mujeres. We took the bus to Playa Tortuga for about $1 each. There we got on the ferry to Isla for $19 each roundtrip. Once on the island, we just walked, shopped, & ate. We stayed there with our daughters in 2010, so they wanted to check it out again. Unfortunately, the north beach was pretty run down since we were there & so was the resort that we stayed at. The traveling there & back were pretty slick. The concierge actually suggested us to go to Playa Tortuga instead of Puerto Juarez which we took before & I'm glad we did it this way as it wasn't as far out of the way. Day trip two was to Playa Del Carmen. We took the bus to the bus station. Again $1 per person. Across from the bus station is a grocery store. In the parking lot of the grocery store were the collectivos. (white vans) We have used these in the past when we stayed south of Playa Del Carmen. They're cheap & a fun experience with the locals riding it also. It cost under $5 per person to ride to PDC. With the stops that we made, it took about an hour, but that is what we anticipated. We met up w/ some friends that were staying in PDC @ Senior Frogs for a cocktail. We rented chairs for the day. The kids went parasailing & jetskiing. We ate some great shrimp tacos at their resort, got a massage for $20 (valentine special), shopped, & decided to take the bus back instead of the collectivo to get back sooner. We boarded it at the bus station & it cost about $8-$10 per person I think. Once in Cancun, we hopped on the local bus again back to Royal Solaris. Again, pretty slick. We have never stayed in Cancun before... mostly south of Playa Del Carmen. I can say that my whole family enjoyed the area. We really liked the Royal Solaris & for sure its beach. Our main goal on this vacation was to relax on the beach & this resort aced it! We would definitely go back some day.

Room Tip: We requested a ocean view room. She said that it usually costs so much per night, but for us she wo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank mexbabe
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

We are so glad to know that you enjoyed a wonderful vacation at Royal Solaris Cancún. It's a pleasure to read that you loved the beach, the service provided by Roberto, the food and ambiance at Rosmarinus, our a la cart restaurant, the heart shaped pancakes, the delicious guacamole, the paella and the marvelous savor of our pizzas.

Thank you for pointing out how great our entertainment crew is and how much you enjoyed the shows and the free kayaking.

We appreciate your feedback, we have already informed our Entertainment Manager about the point you mentioned as offer more activities at the beach so he can take action as soon as possible.

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor and help all travellers with their travel destination and with some tips and recommendations to visit Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres from the hotel. Very useful, we appreciate it.

It'll be a pleasure welcoming you & your family soon.

Warm regards from Cancún to Minnesota.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Overall we had a great stay, wish we would have been offered the upgrade at check in, probably would have gone for it. The room was nice and got a nice surprise of two doubles and a murphy bed, which was great for myself, my husband and our two children. I would def. recommend Marco Polo Restaurant - food was outstanding. Even though it is all inclusive, I wish we would have realized that tipping a couple of dollars was appreciated. No ATM, (my husband had to jump on the bus to the closest one 8 minutes away), then it was almost impossible to break a $20.
Also, we agreed to take the 90 min. "tour" to hear about their membership program, we were assured it was not high pressured and we could say No at anytime. Very untrue, after 2 1/2 hours and several different times saying thanks, but no thanks........ we had to be rude to finally get out of there.
Overall, for the price I would go back.

2  Thank rkonstanz
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share yous Solaris Experience with all the users on Tripadvisor.

We are glad that you had a great stay and enjoyed the room and the quality of the food in Marco Polo.

We would be happy if you come back soon. Your home away from home will be waiting to welcome your family.

Warm regards from Cancún to West Bend.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We returned today from 6 night stay. Weather was perfect, beach clean and safe enough to swim and play in. Great food variety and entertainment each evening was worth adjusting our schedule to enjoy. Entertainment staff full of enthusiasm and talent. Did not enjoy the full on sales pitch for club solaris on the first night when we arrived after being in transit for 11 hours, had read about it on other reviews, and we didn't attend but didn't like the pressure to do so. Rooms are basic and comfortable, some have new mattresses and TV's - currently updating - but ours didn't. First night in room 1103 and 1105 - very noisy right above bar, music thumping until midnight, we requested to be moved and for next 5 nights enjoyed a different, quieter location. Travelling with teens who enjoyed the food, some of the activities and even the nightly shows. Better to rent a car at hotel than airport where they gouge you on insurance. Hotel has cars for $50/day and you don't need to rent for entire week. Dollar car rental at hotel way cheaper than Dollar at airport. Overall good value for what we were looking for which was sun, quick getaway, quality and variety of food and extremely, over the top, pleasant staff in all food services, room services.

Room Tip: Beach for sure - avoid first floor which is mostly above bar and music /band plays until midnight an...
1  Thank factorfiction

Thank you for sharing such a nice and honest comment regarding your recent stay at Royal Solaris Cancún.

We are happy that you enjoyed the quick getaway, the nice weather, the beach, the food quality and variety, entertainmente each day and evening and the service provided by our staff.

Please accept our apologies for the pressure from our timeshare department. Is not our intention that you feel overwhelmed after traveling 11 hours. We have already informed our General Manager therefore he will take actions on these points.

We appreciate you for taking your time in writing your review. Remember that your home away from home is waiting to welcome you in a near future.

Warm regards from Cancún to South Surrey.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Royal Solaris is right on the Cancun sand-spit called the Hotel Zone. We booked a lagoon view (cheapest) room but were upgraded to a lagoon view with a balcony. The room was clearly a recently renovated room with a small kitchenette area (rather unusual for an all inclusive). The lagoon view is actually more attractive than the gulf view as the sun sets over the lagoon. It is always dark on the gulf view side. The beach is exceptional and quite wide at the hotel with no problem getting chairs. Swimming was reasonablly safe as there was a sandbar basically all along the beach which prevented one from going out too far too quickly. The beverages (margaritas, beer etc) were excellent and the food - very good. The a la cart Marco Polo had great ambiance and food presentation.
There is nothing much around the hotel except more hotels. However, one can take a local bus just outside the hotel for 10 pesos (or 1$) to shopping centers, bars and into Cancun. Very convenient. Not too much choice re getting to/from the airport - the taxi is the only option unless you are young and/or don't have much luggage and then you can take a local bus to Cancun and then the ADO bus to the airport (and reverse).
Our only complaint about the hotel was the WI-FI - Not only was it not free, it cost about $16 for one day. This I consider exorbitant and is one reason why I would not give the hotel 5 stars.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 12Brian12

We appreciate you for taking the time in writing a great and honest review regarding your recent stay at Royal Solaris Cancún.

Thank you for pointing out how much you enjoyed the lagoon view, the beach, the beverages and food and the great ambiance and food presentation in our Marco Polo Restaurant.

Regarding Internet, we offer free wireless internet access every Wednesday from 11:00am-2:00pm. Also we have a great tool called iStrid which is available 24 hours that allows you to share lots of pictures for free on Facebook or Twitter in real time.

We appreciate your honest review, we have informed to our General Manager about your perception so we can keep improving and provide better options for all our guests in a near future.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon and pamper you as you deserve,

Warm regards from Cancún to Strathroy

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Me and my wife stayed here during spring break 2014 and while it could get a little rowdy during the afternoon with the college drunks we still managed to have a very relaxing break.

We had a lagoon view room with a terrace which was fantastic as we got the sunset every day at our side and it was very quiet (save for a few shouts when the spring breakers got back from the bars!). The room was surprisingly modern styled and very clean, the maid service was excellent.

The pool is also very well maintained and we didnt find it too hard to find a spot during the day. The beach is spectacular and again sun loungers seemed freely available.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful with the exception of one guy at reception who refused to print me 1 page out and said I had to go pay $7.50 to use the internet room. After already paying $16 for wifi i thought this was unreasonable, so I came down 10mins later & spoke to a different person and they obliged with a smile!

Now onto the not so good stuff - and that is really only one complaint - the food. Its not great. Its just about adequate for breakfast and lunch but by dinner time you should go out and try some of the other restaurants on the strip (Elefanti is AMAZING). For breakfast and lunch i stuck to the fresh action stations rather than the items in the troughs and I got by ok. The pizza and nachos are pretty good for lunch. The waffles / pancakes good at breakfast. The beer seemed very weak to me but I think that could be my english taste buds wanting something a bit stronger than the lite mexican fare.

Overall we had a great stay at the Royal Solaris, its by no means luxury but for what we paid it was very good.

Room Tip: Lagoon view was probably a bit quieter and you get the sunset. An additional tip is go past the out...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PAJ1981
Reviewed 20 March 2014

When i got to the hotel it was at the very end of the hotel road and very far from all of the activities i wanted to go to. We had expected free WiFi but the ended up charging us $70 just for 6 days. We had also gotten the all inclusive and the food there was horrible and was McDonald grade food. towards the end of my trip i realized that the room service had taken my shoos and the front desk when i told them didn't care and didn't do anything about it. Whatever you do do NOT stay at this horrible hotel.

Room Tip: try to stay at the top and far away as you can from the hotel
5  Thank alex f
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Please accept our deepest apologies for the misunderstandings you experienced during your vacation. We are sorry that your stay wasn’t as pleasing as it was supposed to be and not having met your expectations.

Regarding internet we provide three free hours of wireless internet access every Wednesday from 11:00am until 2:00pm. Also we have a great tool called iStrid that allows you to share lots of pictures for free on facebook and Twitter all day long. However if you would like to being connected with your family or friends on your vacation every day we can offer you differents packages that suites your needs.

We take very seriously the feedback of our guests which help us to increase the quality of our services. At the moment we are improving our menus and constantly we are introducing new dishes and making innovations to satisfy our guest's needs.

Regarding the incident you mentioned, we remember talking to you at the moment of your check out when you made the claim, so we conducted an investigation and no evidence of theft was found.

Once again, we apologize for not having met your expectations.

Hoteles Solaris de México

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Just returned from a week's stay at this Hotel. Upon arrival at front desk I asked if we count be upgraded to a ocean view room. The answer was yes with an additional fee of course which is understandable. I asked to view the room first and I was told that I had to make my decision on the spot sight unseen or I would loose my current booked room. How crazy is this? So, I decided to stay in my original room on the 8th floor lagoon view. What a joke that was. After the first night I was ready to change Hotel's. I do understand that things can be unpredictable during Spring break(I have been to Cancun during this time on several occasions at different Hotels without these issues) however, the Hotel needs to step up to the plate and address issues i.e. maybe a little more security presence would help. My first night I had to call the front desk five times due to loud partying at the room next door. I went down to the front desk the next morning and spoke with the Manager and was able to change rooms. The quality of the food was poor. The only decent meal was the breakfast buffet in the am however, it was the same choices day after day. The snack bar by the pool was pretty much all deep fried and fried foods ( same menu every day). If you wanted a spot at the pool it was pretty much impossible due to the loud and rowdy parties day after day . The beach was the saving grace of this vacation. Beach was very beautiful, swimmable, and kept clean. Beach lounge chairs were pretty plentiful and service was available on the beach (with a smile, compared to the bartenders at pool bar who looked at you like it was a big effort to wait on you). I would definitely request a ocean view room with a balcony otherwise you will receive a room ocean view where you have to look out the window.

Room Tip: Ocean view with a balcony (be specific)
2  Thank Lisameasaarizona

Please accept our deepest apologies for all the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. We try to do our best to make our guest feel at home and make them happy during their stay; we are sorry for not having met your expectations.

We do understand your discomfort during the check in, however at that moment we did not have a ov room available; we are sorry for the misunderstanding.

Despite all the inconvenience that you persive we are glad that you enjoyed the wonderful beach and the service available on the beach.

Once again, we regret not having met your expectations, all your comments are fully considered in order to improve our range of services.

^X

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
#75 of 177 in Cancun
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#47 of 177 in Cancun

Been to Royal Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!