“Great service so-so room”

Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club
Ranked #31 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Great service so-so room”
Reviewed 19 June 2010

My husband and I stayed here w/friends in a 2 bedroom condo with 3 baths. Very roomy! The room was clean and the refridge well stocked; other than that it was sparce. No decor! Beds/pillows very hard. Service excellent-food redundant every day and only so-so. Bus transportation available for other resorts in their chain. They tried to entice us to buy but with a firm we are not interested they didn't persue it. The lagoon stunk and reported to have crocks in it--no one went in it. The pool was fun with a swim-up bar. This is not the season and it was hot--to include the pool--not their fault--lobbies cool. Buffet was very hot as only cooled with fans. Great people! Would recommend with warnings of what to expect.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at Sunset Lagoon. The service was incredible...Shout out to Jonathan and the rest of the staff! They always kept us busy and were sooo nice! I truly fell in love with Mexico after this vacation. I am most def staying here again when I come back. It was so peaceful and everything just looked elegantly beautiful. There is nothing negative I can say. I was nearly in tears when the trip was over because I really didn't want it to end.
Chantell M

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Chantell_M
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I was concerned about staying here because there is not an ocean, however the tide at the sister hotel was very rough and was red flagged the entire week. After speaking to people that are regulars they say the tide is always rough in that area. I thought about staying at the sister hotel and didn't because it didn't look like they had any balconies in the rooms. Turns out the only balconies they have that you can actually sit on are facing the street and not the water. And the rooms are all hotel rooms and not suites.
This hotel is the better choice.
We reserved two 2 bedroom places and one 1 bedroom place. All were really nice but all were different. The 2 br places (presidential suites) have an elevator to the front door then as you walk in, the main floor has kitchen/livingroom and bathroom (no balcony), there is also a bedroom on this floor with 2 queens and a big double jacuzzi tub by the window. One place had a balcony for this room, the other did not. This room has it's own bathroom. Upstairs is a large bedroom w/ king and a huge round jacuzzi in the room by the window and a very large balcony (this is the only view of water from these places). One of these rooms also had a private elevator, the other did not. The 1 br place was on the ground floor, with lagoon view and it's jacuzzi was outside on the balcony. There was a king bed in the bedroom and another one by the balcony with a small room divider between the bed and the livingroom/kitchen this place had 2 bathrooms. All were very nice and very clean with big flat screen TV's - but no DVD's.
There were 3 places to eat, one you need reservations, one was a buffet and one is a grill open only during the day. They also had room service until 10:30pm. The food was tasty and fresh, (not a lot of variety, but it was good). towards the end of the week a lot of people from the sister hotel were coming to ours to eat and complaining of being sick from the food at the sister hotel.
I read in prior reviews that there are aligators in the lagoon - I did not see any and there were no 'beware' signs and they were allowing kayaking etc, though it is not the kind of place you want to swim, it is still fun for water sports.
The daytime entertainment by the pool consisted of beach volleyball, water aerobics, bingo, cooking and drink making classes, towel folding classes, horseshoes, zumba lessons, bike tour, kayak tour and a few other things I might have missed - but this was the main stuff. Not a lot, but kept us entertained and was fun. Not too loud like some resorts.
The 'free' scuba lessons is a free demonstration to watch someone do it, to actually get a lesson in the pool is $20 and then they would expect you are going out with them for another $80. Not bad except they go to the reef which is rather boring and not worth $100.
The free jumgle tour was fun, 2 people each in a speed boat going together through the lagoon to the reef to snorkle.
The nightlife really needs a facelift, they have one singer with a keyboard player trying to sing Madonna and Joan Jett songs, not a lot of fun dance songs. Casino night was fun, but make sure whoever writes your ticket puts the total on only one slip and not multiples(you can only win the grand prize from the amount on one ticket)
The 'premium' alcohol was non-existent, the only thing that was premium I saw was absolute, red label and hornitos everything else was generic, even the beer - tasted like bud light .
When other reviews mention the sister hotel is 'accross the street' it is actually either a 10 minute boat ride away then a walk accross the street, or a $12 US taxi ride or a 15 minute shuttle ride, away. The ciy bus is the fastest and cheapest. They claim to have 2 boats every 30 minutes but I only saw one. Never did see the streetside shuttle. After the first day of going to the sister hotel it was not worth the effort to go again.
As in all resorts in Mexico they are all over you to go on a tour to buy a timeshare, but it is your right to say no thanks. They bugged us everytime they saw us, but I just kept saying no and they finally left us alone. The 90 minute tour is actually a 3 hour plus tour minimum.
Though a lot of this may sound negative, it is really a nice place to stay and for the price a very good option for an all inclusive. I would stay there again in a heartbeat, just wanted to give the 'real' details for all in this review.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank wantluxuryforalittle
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 May 2010

We went to Cancun after we purchased a discounted price via Smart Circle. The package itself seemed too good to be true since it was at a heavily discounted price. Long story short, the package was worth it, but there are a few things to be aware of to make your trip fantastic & memorable.

First, you must call in to redeem the package. The sales person tried to get me to upgrade to the all-inclusive package for an extra few hundred bucks. It sounded like a sales pitch so I was hesitant at first, but I decided to go with it since it sounded like good value and I had heard good things about the all-inclusives in Cancun. It ended up being an excellent choice, particularly due to the fact you get unlimited food and drinks at any of their 3 sister resorts (Laguna Suites, Sunset Lagoon, and Sunset Royal).

The activities we ended up doing in Cancun were horseback riding, hummer jungle tour (off resort activities), and a lot of other mini activities on the resorts. The horseback riding was thrown in for free after we participated in a 90 minute presentation (which ended up being 5 hours) and was well worth the wait. The hummer jungle tour ended up being a pleasant excursion as well which my wife and I enjoyed immensely.
I'll probably end up writing separate reviews for those, but as far as the resort goes we were well pleased.

Food was good on all resorts, though I felt Laguna Suites was best for us. It was the most private, quiet, and away from hustle and bustle of other travellers. It also overlooks a nice golf course and feels hidden away which made us feel like we were really on a far-off getaway. If I can offer some tips, I'd definitely suggest getting the all inclusive. There's nothing like going on vacation and getting as many pina coladas from the pool bar, or 2 dinners, or a shot of tequila before you go off to a party or activity. The all inclusive also includes a lobster dinner which you can use during the week. The service there was very good. There is free wi-fi in the lounging areas and inside certain rooms also.

The concierge is very helpful. My advice with the activities is to go with the ones they suggest as they have filtered out many of the ones that are not popular or qualified to be recommended to guests. We ended up doing the horse back riding they are associated with as well as the para-sailing which were both excellent. The Hummer Jungle Tour which was not one of the activities they endorsed but was a definite plus to our trip and I would highly recommend it to anybody. I will certainly be returning as there are so many things to do in Cancun which we have not been able to experience yet.

One last tip re: getting around while in Cancun. Skip the taxis.. they are a rip off. If you must use a taxi, make sure you negotiate the price BEFORE getting into the taxi otherwise the driver will get you for whatever he can. It is next to impossible to negotiate the price after the ride, so unless you're good at haggling prices, dodge the taxis and go with other means of transportation. For us, the bus was the way to go. less than a dollar per person to ride (roughly $.60).
Any way you look at it, our stay at the Sunset Lagoon resort was great!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bhah618
chicago
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Had a huge 1 bedroom suite that included a bedroom plus king bed off the patio. Kitchen was sufficient , had a living room area as well 2 bathrooms. Place is very well run with activities going all day every day, even a cooking class by the pool. I must state we checked out the dinner setup for the all inclusive buffet and would definitely not be interested, especially at a cost of $81 per day per person. There are many good restaurants in hotel zone a bus ride away. We stocked up on groceries at Walmart and did breakfast in the room and either ordered a burger at the pool or made lunch doing dinner at a restaurant.... total cost coming out at half what all inclusive would be ($1,000/week).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dchicag0
Wildwood,NJ
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I recently was on vacation in Mexico for four weeks (3/20/10 to 4/20 10). One week at the Sunset Lagoon, Cancun. Two weeks at the Mayan Palace, Mayan Riviera. One week at the Weston Regina Raintree Vacation Club, Cancun. All of these resorts were worth staying at; however none were perfect for the vacations my wife and I really love.

If you’re the least bit familiar with how Cancun is laid out, you’ll know it is shaped like the number seven (7) with the vertical line running north and south and the horizontal east to west. The top and the right side of the seven are the Caribbean Sea and the left interior of the seven are a large lagoon.

Sunset Lagoon resort was obviously on the lagoon side of Cancun. The resort was very clean and the staff was attentive. We stayed with Cousins this first week in a two bedroom suite that was extremely spacious. We had elevator access to the second floor entrance to the suite which opened up to a nicely appointed first floor living area, eating area and kitchenette. There was even a full bath in this area. A door on the left after entering led to a very large bedroom with its own bathroom. Two king sized beds and a hot tub / Jacuzzi right in the bedroom. Both bathrooms had beautiful marble tiled showers with plenty of hot and forceful water pressure. Our only complaint with the lower part of this unit was there was no balcony to sit outside.

Just inside the entrance of the unit was the stairs to the second floor bedroom. Just saying this room was large doesn’t do it justice. The king sized bed was dwarfed in this room which also included its own hot tub / Jacuzzi, plus chaise and sitting area along with its beautiful marble tiled bathroom. What the downstairs lacked in balconies the upstairs made up for it. The space was huge with table and chairs and lounges.

Although we prefer staying on the ocean side of Cancun the resort does have beachside sunbathing on the lagoon. Two large pools one with the prerequisite swim up bar were clean and large enough not to get very crowded. The resort also has a light and airy restaurant and a separate bar and lounge with live music. Being long time Cancun visitors we have our favorite restaurants. Almost directly across the roadway from Sunset is our favorite Italian restaurant. Down a winding driveway next to the Casa Maya resort is a small eatery that sits on the beach called Dolce Mente Pompeii. It’s owned and operated by a family from Italy and must be the quaintness Italian restaurant ever. Their menu is mostly homemade pasta’s, pizza and fish. In all the many times we have visited it, never have we been disappointed. If you go by bus, just ask the driver to let you off at Casa Maya. When you get off the bus don’t forget to turn around to see the most magnificent flag you may have ever seen. It is without a doubt the largest flag I have ever seen. I’m told that there are three flags in the country the size of this one. One in Mexico City and I think the other is in Acapulco. I’ve been in Cancun when the flag had been changed and it takes a company of soldiers to raise and lower it. Quite a sight. One other restaurant worth mentioning is La Palapa Belga. Probably the most charming restaurant in Cancun, it’s a little hard to find. Especially if you take the busses as we like to. For your first visit it’s better to take a taxi. The restaurant is located on the lagoon side aptly named the lagoona section. It’s on another winding road to the lagoon past many condos. Once there, you’ll be seated on a wooden deck right on the water or if you prefer under the giant palapa away from the elements. The restaurant is lit with somewhat ambient lighting and music from Sinatra, Buble’ and the like softly permeate throughout. Then there is the food !!!!! Seared roasted duck breast with black cherry sauce, rack of lamb, prime meats and seafood. This place is not only romantic but a gastronomical paradise. Possibly the best chef in Cancun. No matter how many weeks vacation we stay we eat here at least once a week. If I were only going to be in Cancun for one week I would eat there three times, it’s that good. Of course there are many good restaurants in Cancun; Ruth Chris steak house is always the best for beef.

Our second and third weeks were at The Mayan Palace in the Mayan Riviera. If the Sunset Lagoon was a true three star resort in their accommodations the Mayan Palace would have to be two and a half stars. The resort was very clean and as with the Sunset Lagoon, housekeeping came every day. Rooms were odor free, non-smoking and comfortable. The Mayan Palace is a huge place. So expansive if you’re in one of the far from the pool or beach area units there are shuttles to take you to your destination. In any case be prepared to walk. It’s hard to tell exactly how many pools there are, at least seven very large pools that spill one into the other. Being in the Riviera between Cancun and Playa Del Carman you become locked into your resort. As such restaurants and entertainment become an important part of the resort and the Mayan Palace does not disappoint. There are five or six restaurants plus snack bars to satisfy your hunger. The second floor restaurants over the large boutique and sundry store were very good. Besides all the walking our only complaint was the beach or lack of rock free entry to the water. Lots of sand for sun bathing but very rocky at the edge of the water. There was not even a dock for the tour boats to embark people. They had to back the boats into the beach and customers would have to negotiate the rocky bottom then be physically lifted into the boats between the two outboard motors. The resort also has a very nice 18 hole par 3 golf course. This is not a chip and put course. With the exception of your driver you’ll need all your clubs. This is a Nicklaus designed course that’s in very good condition and challenging even for better golfers.

If you are looking for a true four star resort the Grand Mayan Resort is for you. Different from but located on the same property as the Mayan Palace and shares some of the amenities, i.e. Restaurants, pools, beach. The Grand Mayan is an adventure in luxury. With its own pool area and separate amenities and flora it is absolutely gorgeous.

Our fourth week was spent at the Weston Regina, Raintree Vacation Club in the very southern part of Cancun. The room we stayed in was lovely. It was a fifth floor ocean front with a very nice balcony that included a hottub/jaccuzi and hammock with wonderful sliding doors and wooden shutters that completely opened the bedroom up to the beach and ocean, just beautiful. It was a lockout. The hotel itself was very clean but resort amenities were lacking. Only one restaurant on the premises and it was not very good. It never ceases to amaze me how at the breakfast buffet they can cut up hot dogs and call them sausages. There was a snack bar at the pool and beach area but nothing was cooked there. When you ordered something the staff would have to run back to the restaurant place the order and wait for it, then run back to the snack bar to deliver it, very inefficient. The help congregated in the pool area and either danced to the music at the makeshift DJ table or played kickball by the pool. Once a day a waiter would come to the beach lounges to see if you wanted a cocktail. Speaking of the beach. Past storms had decimated the beach area to the point of having two different beach levels separated by a four foot cliff. All in all, even though we liked our apartment I don’t think we would stay there again.

One more word of advise. Don’t be talked into purchasing anything. If you’re there already why would you. There are better and much cheaper time shares if so inclined.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mflmarlton
Reviewed 10 March 2010

Fun fun fun place. The activities coordinator is a blast! And you can go back and forth between ocean side and lagoon side.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends