“the sunset lagoon turned my vacation into a week in paradise... everything about the sunset lagoon restort was perfect.”

Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club
Ranked #30 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 August 2010

I traveled with a group of 10 people: my mother, my father, myself (19), my younger sister (15), my best friend (18), my grandpa (82), my aunt, my uncle, and my two little cousins (7 and 9) and the sunset lagoon made accomidated all of us. Traveling with such large group and having such large age differences, we all were worried about how the resort was going to turn out especially after having a nightmare expereince with Delta Airlines that caused us to be two days late for our vacation. Sunset Lagoon went over and beyond all of our expectations. Being very squirmish about sleeping in hotel beds, I was nervous about sleeping in my first hotel bed in Mexico. But as soon as we got into our spacious rooms at the Lagoon, I found that this hotel was the cleanest hotel I've ever been to. I normally don't sleep very well in hotel beds, but I slept like a baby in these beds. They were freshly prepared each day, so you knew all the linens were clean and fresh. The food at this resort was beyond amazing. Each day they had different types of GOURMET food available for you to eat and everything was soo delicous. I don't think I've ever eaten such good food on a vacation before in my life, it was that good. To say that the staff of this resort was amazing isn't doing them justice. All of the employees of the Sunset Lagoon were so friendly, helpful, and genuinely nice. Because the resort is on the smaller side, it's easy to befriend the staff because you see them around all the time. My friend and I became good friends with quite a few of the staff before our week-long stay was over. I will put this disclaimer out there before I write this next section: No one in our group had difficulties communicating with the employees of the resort. Although my parents (who only speak English) were a little frustrated that they didn't speak as much English as they would have liked, my friend and I (spanish speakers ourselves) would strongly disagree. Between our spanish and their english, we were able to communicate just fine. I would advise anyone traveling to any country to at least learn some of the basics of the language before traveling- just in case. It's important to remember that you are in a different country and that they speak spanish there, so being putoff that they don't speak fluent english isn't really right, so to speak. That being said, I felt that there were many employees there that spoke English, even if it was a little broken. They're doing us the favor by learning our language even though they don't have to, that's what I kept reminding my parents. Anywho, they were excellent regardless. Extremely warm and welcoming. To end it all, I have to say that this has been my favorite vacation that I've ever taken. I've loved everything about this resort and I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone who is looking for a place to stay in Mexico. While people may be bummed that it isn't on the ocean side of the strip, they make it easy enough for you to travel back and forth between the sister hotel (which is on the ocean). If you are considering staying at Sunset Lagoon, please please make the decison to go! It is a beautiful resort with wonderful employees that really want to help you make the most of your mexican vacation in paradise. All 10 people in my party gave Sunset 5 stars... each!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank nativechica1220

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Hebrew first
Layton, Utah
Reviewed 21 June 2010

The people at the front desk and concierge treated us nicely until we said no to listening to their timeshare presentation and then they seemed to go out of their way to be unhelpful. We had tickets to XCaret and needed transportation, but they were upset that we didn't book the tour through them and told us that we would have to take a taxi. So we got on the internet and found Five Star shuttle service, who drove us to XCaret and back for a great savings on the tour package price. The same thing happened at the end of our trip when we tried to book transportation back to the airport. They said it had to be booked the day before between 9 and 10 and since we would be on an excursion we would have to take a taxi. So once again it was Five Star to the rescue for $10 cheaper than the shuttle would have been through the resort. I should say that the service wasn't entirely bad as the restaurant staff was very courteous and helpful as was housekeeping. The restaurant lacked variety and the food was marginal at best. I wouldn't do the all inclusive again. Other than that the resort was nice and the rooms were clean and the beds were hard.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed 19 June 2010

My husband and I stayed here w/friends in a 2 bedroom condo with 3 baths. Very roomy! The room was clean and the refridge well stocked; other than that it was sparce. No decor! Beds/pillows very hard. Service excellent-food redundant every day and only so-so. Bus transportation available for other resorts in their chain. They tried to entice us to buy but with a firm we are not interested they didn't persue it. The lagoon stunk and reported to have crocks in it--no one went in it. The pool was fun with a swim-up bar. This is not the season and it was hot--to include the pool--not their fault--lobbies cool. Buffet was very hot as only cooled with fans. Great people! Would recommend with warnings of what to expect.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at Sunset Lagoon. The service was incredible...Shout out to Jonathan and the rest of the staff! They always kept us busy and were sooo nice! I truly fell in love with Mexico after this vacation. I am most def staying here again when I come back. It was so peaceful and everything just looked elegantly beautiful. There is nothing negative I can say. I was nearly in tears when the trip was over because I really didn't want it to end.
Chantell M

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Chantell_M
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I was concerned about staying here because there is not an ocean, however the tide at the sister hotel was very rough and was red flagged the entire week. After speaking to people that are regulars they say the tide is always rough in that area. I thought about staying at the sister hotel and didn't because it didn't look like they had any balconies in the rooms. Turns out the only balconies they have that you can actually sit on are facing the street and not the water. And the rooms are all hotel rooms and not suites.
This hotel is the better choice.
We reserved two 2 bedroom places and one 1 bedroom place. All were really nice but all were different. The 2 br places (presidential suites) have an elevator to the front door then as you walk in, the main floor has kitchen/livingroom and bathroom (no balcony), there is also a bedroom on this floor with 2 queens and a big double jacuzzi tub by the window. One place had a balcony for this room, the other did not. This room has it's own bathroom. Upstairs is a large bedroom w/ king and a huge round jacuzzi in the room by the window and a very large balcony (this is the only view of water from these places). One of these rooms also had a private elevator, the other did not. The 1 br place was on the ground floor, with lagoon view and it's jacuzzi was outside on the balcony. There was a king bed in the bedroom and another one by the balcony with a small room divider between the bed and the livingroom/kitchen this place had 2 bathrooms. All were very nice and very clean with big flat screen TV's - but no DVD's.
There were 3 places to eat, one you need reservations, one was a buffet and one is a grill open only during the day. They also had room service until 10:30pm. The food was tasty and fresh, (not a lot of variety, but it was good). towards the end of the week a lot of people from the sister hotel were coming to ours to eat and complaining of being sick from the food at the sister hotel.
I read in prior reviews that there are aligators in the lagoon - I did not see any and there were no 'beware' signs and they were allowing kayaking etc, though it is not the kind of place you want to swim, it is still fun for water sports.
The daytime entertainment by the pool consisted of beach volleyball, water aerobics, bingo, cooking and drink making classes, towel folding classes, horseshoes, zumba lessons, bike tour, kayak tour and a few other things I might have missed - but this was the main stuff. Not a lot, but kept us entertained and was fun. Not too loud like some resorts.
The 'free' scuba lessons is a free demonstration to watch someone do it, to actually get a lesson in the pool is $20 and then they would expect you are going out with them for another $80. Not bad except they go to the reef which is rather boring and not worth $100.
The free jumgle tour was fun, 2 people each in a speed boat going together through the lagoon to the reef to snorkle.
The nightlife really needs a facelift, they have one singer with a keyboard player trying to sing Madonna and Joan Jett songs, not a lot of fun dance songs. Casino night was fun, but make sure whoever writes your ticket puts the total on only one slip and not multiples(you can only win the grand prize from the amount on one ticket)
The 'premium' alcohol was non-existent, the only thing that was premium I saw was absolute, red label and hornitos everything else was generic, even the beer - tasted like bud light .
When other reviews mention the sister hotel is 'accross the street' it is actually either a 10 minute boat ride away then a walk accross the street, or a $12 US taxi ride or a 15 minute shuttle ride, away. The ciy bus is the fastest and cheapest. They claim to have 2 boats every 30 minutes but I only saw one. Never did see the streetside shuttle. After the first day of going to the sister hotel it was not worth the effort to go again.
As in all resorts in Mexico they are all over you to go on a tour to buy a timeshare, but it is your right to say no thanks. They bugged us everytime they saw us, but I just kept saying no and they finally left us alone. The 90 minute tour is actually a 3 hour plus tour minimum.
Though a lot of this may sound negative, it is really a nice place to stay and for the price a very good option for an all inclusive. I would stay there again in a heartbeat, just wanted to give the 'real' details for all in this review.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank wantluxuryforalittle
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 May 2010

We went to Cancun after we purchased a discounted price via Smart Circle. The package itself seemed too good to be true since it was at a heavily discounted price. Long story short, the package was worth it, but there are a few things to be aware of to make your trip fantastic & memorable.

First, you must call in to redeem the package. The sales person tried to get me to upgrade to the all-inclusive package for an extra few hundred bucks. It sounded like a sales pitch so I was hesitant at first, but I decided to go with it since it sounded like good value and I had heard good things about the all-inclusives in Cancun. It ended up being an excellent choice, particularly due to the fact you get unlimited food and drinks at any of their 3 sister resorts (Laguna Suites, Sunset Lagoon, and Sunset Royal).

The activities we ended up doing in Cancun were horseback riding, hummer jungle tour (off resort activities), and a lot of other mini activities on the resorts. The horseback riding was thrown in for free after we participated in a 90 minute presentation (which ended up being 5 hours) and was well worth the wait. The hummer jungle tour ended up being a pleasant excursion as well which my wife and I enjoyed immensely.
I'll probably end up writing separate reviews for those, but as far as the resort goes we were well pleased.

Food was good on all resorts, though I felt Laguna Suites was best for us. It was the most private, quiet, and away from hustle and bustle of other travellers. It also overlooks a nice golf course and feels hidden away which made us feel like we were really on a far-off getaway. If I can offer some tips, I'd definitely suggest getting the all inclusive. There's nothing like going on vacation and getting as many pina coladas from the pool bar, or 2 dinners, or a shot of tequila before you go off to a party or activity. The all inclusive also includes a lobster dinner which you can use during the week. The service there was very good. There is free wi-fi in the lounging areas and inside certain rooms also.

The concierge is very helpful. My advice with the activities is to go with the ones they suggest as they have filtered out many of the ones that are not popular or qualified to be recommended to guests. We ended up doing the horse back riding they are associated with as well as the para-sailing which were both excellent. The Hummer Jungle Tour which was not one of the activities they endorsed but was a definite plus to our trip and I would highly recommend it to anybody. I will certainly be returning as there are so many things to do in Cancun which we have not been able to experience yet.

One last tip re: getting around while in Cancun. Skip the taxis.. they are a rip off. If you must use a taxi, make sure you negotiate the price BEFORE getting into the taxi otherwise the driver will get you for whatever he can. It is next to impossible to negotiate the price after the ride, so unless you're good at haggling prices, dodge the taxis and go with other means of transportation. For us, the bus was the way to go. less than a dollar per person to ride (roughly $.60).
Any way you look at it, our stay at the Sunset Lagoon resort was great!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bhah618
chicago
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Had a huge 1 bedroom suite that included a bedroom plus king bed off the patio. Kitchen was sufficient , had a living room area as well 2 bathrooms. Place is very well run with activities going all day every day, even a cooking class by the pool. I must state we checked out the dinner setup for the all inclusive buffet and would definitely not be interested, especially at a cost of $81 per day per person. There are many good restaurants in hotel zone a bus ride away. We stocked up on groceries at Walmart and did breakfast in the room and either ordered a burger at the pool or made lunch doing dinner at a restaurant.... total cost coming out at half what all inclusive would be ($1,000/week).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple