“How to get Screwed By this Resort!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club
Ranked #30 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Gorham, Maine
“How to get Screwed By this Resort!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 19 October 2010

If you want to get royally screwed out of your money. Stay at this resort and and buy a time share. They are the biggest thieves in Cancun. They promise you the moon and find a way to FU any way they can. They don't even follow Mexican Laws.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank tedforu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Hebrew first
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 September 2010

i have been a member since 2002.this year the room was left unmade twice, bar unfilled twice, room theft once, no show room service once,note to manager taken by front desk once. the people in charge("Santiago") do not care about service, the bar and front desk do not want to work and even feign not understanding any English to not have to serve the guest . I have been to this resort six times since i bought the timeshare. The resort is okay but i was never really liking the service. This last trip was the worst. I will NEVER go back. I recommend nobody stay at the sunset lagoon. It is a rip-off and a hole in the ground,with service to match .

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Knighterrr
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We just recently returned from our trip. I booked through RCI.com, a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom. We were originally booked at the Sunset Royal, but were moved to the Lagoon, due to renovations beginning at the Royal. We still had access to Royal beach, but had to take a shuttle (either boat or bus) back and forth, which was hugely inconvenient and rarely on time.
Like the title of my review, the staff was amazing,except for the front desk, who I found to be quite useless in helping at all, except for Hector, who appeared to be relegated to the night shift. Hector was kind, helpful and friendly. He should be moved to days, replacing Alma or Carlos, who may be the rudest hotel staff I have ever encountered. I had some difficulties using my credit card at the resort, due to some sort of software that they use to run credit cards. My credit card worked fine everywhere else in Mexico, just at the resort did it not work. They were kind enough to let me call my credit card company for the low rate of $5 per minute to discuss what the problem was. After 15 minutes, it was determined it was their software. The hotel was kind enough to stick me with a $75 phone bill, which I found to be a bit outrageous, since the error was between the credit card company and the hotel.
I got to pay that bill on the last day and my luggage was held hostage until I agreed to pay the charge. And guess what? My credit card wouldn't work--again. However, they refused to let me use the phone at the front desk, since they wouldn't be able to charge me the $5 a minute, since I was leaving. Again, Alma was rude, not helpful and just generally a jerk.
Now, to the good stuff. The food at the buffet was fair. The breakfast was good, lunch and dinners there were okay. It is buffet style food, so you can understand what to expect. The American food cafe behind the pool was quite good. Room service food was excellent--club sandwich amazing. In fact, we spent most evenings eating the room service. We did have two nights at the Italian/Lobster restaurant. The food there was unbelievable. Benjamin was amazing!
Alfredo and Jenny at the bar were amazing and personable!
The room that we originally booked was a 2b/2ba, but we were actually placed in a larger room, a 3b/3ba.
The resort was beautiful. We were on the all-inclusive, which was a pretty good deal for what we got.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Natalia1681
Balsam Lake, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I went to Sunset Lagoon with two of my girlfriends. From the moment we walked through the door we were treated like queens. We had the two bedroom suite, it was very spacious and had 3 bathrooms (perfect for 3 queens). I've had lots of problems at other places with the air conditioning not working or barely working but our room stayed very comfortable all week. It's a little bit off the beaten path but very easy and inexpensive to ride city bus where ever you want to go. Entertainment was awesome (thank you Alejandro), must go to CoCo Bongo!, excellent show! Make reservations early for dinner at the Italian restaurant. The buffet was different every night and good but breakfast was pretty much the same every day, search out Francisco and he will take good care of you!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank rkolstad
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 August 2010

I traveled with a group of 10 people: my mother, my father, myself (19), my younger sister (15), my best friend (18), my grandpa (82), my aunt, my uncle, and my two little cousins (7 and 9) and the sunset lagoon made accomidated all of us. Traveling with such large group and having such large age differences, we all were worried about how the resort was going to turn out especially after having a nightmare expereince with Delta Airlines that caused us to be two days late for our vacation. Sunset Lagoon went over and beyond all of our expectations. Being very squirmish about sleeping in hotel beds, I was nervous about sleeping in my first hotel bed in Mexico. But as soon as we got into our spacious rooms at the Lagoon, I found that this hotel was the cleanest hotel I've ever been to. I normally don't sleep very well in hotel beds, but I slept like a baby in these beds. They were freshly prepared each day, so you knew all the linens were clean and fresh. The food at this resort was beyond amazing. Each day they had different types of GOURMET food available for you to eat and everything was soo delicous. I don't think I've ever eaten such good food on a vacation before in my life, it was that good. To say that the staff of this resort was amazing isn't doing them justice. All of the employees of the Sunset Lagoon were so friendly, helpful, and genuinely nice. Because the resort is on the smaller side, it's easy to befriend the staff because you see them around all the time. My friend and I became good friends with quite a few of the staff before our week-long stay was over. I will put this disclaimer out there before I write this next section: No one in our group had difficulties communicating with the employees of the resort. Although my parents (who only speak English) were a little frustrated that they didn't speak as much English as they would have liked, my friend and I (spanish speakers ourselves) would strongly disagree. Between our spanish and their english, we were able to communicate just fine. I would advise anyone traveling to any country to at least learn some of the basics of the language before traveling- just in case. It's important to remember that you are in a different country and that they speak spanish there, so being putoff that they don't speak fluent english isn't really right, so to speak. That being said, I felt that there were many employees there that spoke English, even if it was a little broken. They're doing us the favor by learning our language even though they don't have to, that's what I kept reminding my parents. Anywho, they were excellent regardless. Extremely warm and welcoming. To end it all, I have to say that this has been my favorite vacation that I've ever taken. I've loved everything about this resort and I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone who is looking for a place to stay in Mexico. While people may be bummed that it isn't on the ocean side of the strip, they make it easy enough for you to travel back and forth between the sister hotel (which is on the ocean). If you are considering staying at Sunset Lagoon, please please make the decison to go! It is a beautiful resort with wonderful employees that really want to help you make the most of your mexican vacation in paradise. All 10 people in my party gave Sunset 5 stars... each!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank nativechica1220
Layton, Utah
Reviewed 21 June 2010

The people at the front desk and concierge treated us nicely until we said no to listening to their timeshare presentation and then they seemed to go out of their way to be unhelpful. We had tickets to XCaret and needed transportation, but they were upset that we didn't book the tour through them and told us that we would have to take a taxi. So we got on the internet and found Five Star shuttle service, who drove us to XCaret and back for a great savings on the tour package price. The same thing happened at the end of our trip when we tried to book transportation back to the airport. They said it had to be booked the day before between 9 and 10 and since we would be on an excursion we would have to take a taxi. So once again it was Five Star to the rescue for $10 cheaper than the shuttle would have been through the resort. I should say that the service wasn't entirely bad as the restaurant staff was very courteous and helpful as was housekeeping. The restaurant lacked variety and the food was marginal at best. I wouldn't do the all inclusive again. Other than that the resort was nice and the rooms were clean and the beds were hard.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed 19 June 2010

My husband and I stayed here w/friends in a 2 bedroom condo with 3 baths. Very roomy! The room was clean and the refridge well stocked; other than that it was sparce. No decor! Beds/pillows very hard. Service excellent-food redundant every day and only so-so. Bus transportation available for other resorts in their chain. They tried to entice us to buy but with a firm we are not interested they didn't persue it. The lagoon stunk and reported to have crocks in it--no one went in it. The pool was fun with a swim-up bar. This is not the season and it was hot--to include the pool--not their fault--lobbies cool. Buffet was very hot as only cooled with fans. Great people! Would recommend with warnings of what to expect.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple