“3rd time was not the charm!”
Review of Oleo Cancun Playa

Oleo Cancun Playa
Ranked #86 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Florida
“3rd time was not the charm!”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed here 2 previous times and really enjoyed the place. Rooms were ok and the food was pretty good. But both times i went were shoulder seasons. Well....this time i went during the winter rush. Europeans were setting there towels out at 5am to reserve chairs that they didnt sit in until noon! There just seemed to be too many people occupying this resort and there's just not enough room for all of them. The air conditioning didnt work at all...the coldest it got in the room was 78 degrees and there's no fans! The food and drinks were just as good as before but even that got old after a week. This usually is the cheapest all inclusive resort in cancun so you get what u pay for.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank iabeachlvr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Saskatoon, Sk
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Overall, I had a lot of fun on this trip! I went with a good friend of mine and we did an assortment of staying on the resort and exploring. We both really enjoyed the food at the snack bar. We ate our lunch there everyday that we were there. The El Mirador restaurant was really good too. The drinks were absolutely non-stop and they made anything you ordered. Some people complained about the mojitos, but I thought they were pretty darn good!! If you do stay on the resort all day, by the pool they have bingo and other little contests and games, and always have the music pumping. At night they had some family-friendly live entertainment. There is a lobby bar and a sports bar where most spend their evenings. If you are outgoing and like to talk with people, you can spend a long time with new friends. If you're looking for "nightlife", there is a bus going to Downtown Cancun nightly at around 10:00pm. It's something like 20USD and they make sure to get you back safely! They always want to make sure you leave as a satisfied guest--which i certainly did! It's true that there are not many beach chairs nor umbrella's--but what do you expect?! We spent a couple days off the resort and we booked some tours with BestDay travel. If you inform the front desk before 8pm the night before that you will be going, they will provide you with a packed lunch! It's not very big--more so like a snack--but it's nice for them to do it! The rooms are spacious and the beds are average--but again, what does one expect from another country. I do wish, however, that there were bathtubs in the rooms as opposed to just a shower.

Now for the problems: we did have some power issues, although nothing major. Also my key card didn't work for longer than a half an hour each time they made up a new one. At one point, someone had come to clean out the entire mechanism and it still didn't work. There are no alarm clocks in the rooms so you HAD to ask the front office for a wake-up call. It was inconvenient especially when you had booked a tour that leaves early in the morning. I also was not impressed with the Mediterannean restaurant, although my friend didn't feel sick, and we ate the same thing.. Because you had to make reservations, we had waited till our last night to eat at this restaurant and I had gone the whole week without getting sick, but I definitely found myself nauseated--among other things--after eating there, Watch out for beef in other countries. Sometimes they don't use the same kind of cow that we are used to, and they use another animal that most closely resembles, or that which they believe to be, a cow.

Otherwise, the staff was very friendly and accommodating, rooms are clean and if you make friends with the other guests you will have a great time!! They want nothing more than to make sure you are safe and satisfied...unlike the tour operator/travel agency i booked through, but that's another story! Well worth the money--however hope they get the small problems rectified. I would definitely go again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Angie T
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Although the staff were great, very friendly and helpful, they only have about 75 beach chairs and the hotel holds about 300 or more guests. People were waking up at 7am to reserve chairs. who wants to wake up early on a vacation just to get a chair at the pool or beach. The hotel was having problems with power outages and the air conditioning did not work very good we could only get the room to about 19 degrees, it made it hard to sleep. The beds are really old and uncomfortable. It was clean and the food was ok (no bacon). it was like a super 8 or Motel 6 with food and drinks, we changed resorts after a week because we weren't able to sleep. I won't be back to this resort due to the beds, air conditioning and chair issues.

Room Tip: balcony is very small maybe 3 feet in width so I wouldn't pay more for it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LCRyan
edmonton
Reviewed 9 April 2012

5 of us stayed at bellevue march 31st - april 8 2012. The good, the staff is great helpfull friendly, the rooms were big ,lots have ocean or partial ocean views ,the place was very clean , food was pretty good , enough variety there is a grill in the buffet u can have fish beef chicken or a variety of sausages cooked as u wish hot and fresh , and super ice cream . snack bar has fresh fruit hamburgers hotdogs french fries and nachos ( anyone who has been to mexico knows how yummy they are)the late night snacks are not 24 hours till 5 maybe but if your out late there isnt much when u get back they dont restock, u might be left with dryed up hot dog pizza ewww.drinks are good no top shelf but ok beer is very light . beach was great sometimes all your left with are broken chairs and some days we just layed on our towels in the sand no big deal , oh and the meditrainean restauraunt mmmeh some good some really bad sticking with the seafood dishes was your best bet dinner took 2 1/2 hours omg waist of time , good luck with that meal.
The bad... looking for night life ? look somewhere else the loby bar is where most people hang but its not very hapening no atmospher the sports bar was sooo hot and hummid we couldnt stay there and those are your choices althought the hotel was fully booked it seemed pretty dead everywhere.room keys where a promblem but they did there best to fix it over and over again ,it seems the the owners of the hotel dont care to make it better there are simple improvements that could make this little hotel a 4 star but it dosent feel like they care . bewhere of "best day travel" they will tell you they offer the same excursions for the bars same price but they lie( like coco bongo) , if you want to go out to party book with the entertainment staff only!! it was only after we paid them we found out we were not getting any service " best day" will take your money and you will be on your own in line with 300 other people that bought from the street at $ 10 usd less than you paid . once we found out that you dont get front of the line or private transport or a rep to take you in to a reserved spot , we asked for our money back and they said we could only get a credit , total BS we were going to book an excursion through them but after being scamed the first time we thought it best not to . stay away from the desks by the loby windows Time share people once they have you talking to them its hard to get away dont not waityou time there are not there to help you with your trip they are there to get u to a presenation
Over all we had a good time we had read lots of reviews knew pretty much what to expect i just added the details in this review that might have helped us if we had known. btw a little extra tip goes a long way the service is great but if you tip a little they will run and jump after every wish you could have .
happy travels to you all.

Room Tip: even a partial ocean view room is nice and there are many to be had.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Tricia H
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I went there last week and I love that place...amazing staff and service...the place is beautiful.the food is so great and tasty and delicious ... I wish I can go there again ..the people have so much respect...if anyone ever asked me to what place they should go for a vacation I would tell them Mexico Cancun.Bellevue Beach Paradise

• Stayed March 2012
8 Thank lumi_sweet
Portland, OR
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed at this all-inclusive on March 26 through April 2. The hotel is just below average on amenities, entertainment, pool arrangement, equipment, ..... I can continue for quite some time to make a long list: the door cards have a lot of problems, some of the rooms don't have fridges, you get 2 bottles of water upon arrival and then you have to fill them up; evening entertainment sucks, the pool and the area around are quite small...
On the other note, the service was very good, people do what they can with the old and outdated equipment, keep it clean. The reception and the waiters, the maids are very helpful and nice.
You are entitled(????!!!) for only one visit to the Mediterranean restaurant. I have to say, that after the visit I didn't want to go there once more: the food wasn't delicious and the restaurant is overrated!
But the overall experience thanks to the sun, the beach and the see was good!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank DIZOR
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Before you book this hotel, through travel republic please read. 2star at best!!!!!!!
I am not the type of person who writes these types of reviews, but felt I must to warn others before they waste their hard earned money. Do not book with Travel Repulic, their website listing is a total lie! Booked this holiday to get away from the stress of my child being abducted 3months ago and just wanted to enjoy some nice surroundings and relax. Impossible here!
On arrival we were made to hand over an extra $50 to Carlos on the reception for nothing a stunt I have since watched over and over again in the last 9 days. Before we got our Key we were sent to see a guy Victor who was to show us where everything was, it was another ploy this time to heavily push us to go to buy timeshare, this has persitted everyday!
I booked this hotel specifically to use the free non motorised water sports, they have had non for over 4years, there is no gym either.
Even though I tip alot, the staff are unfriendly bar 2 or 3 out of about 50. You can never eat in the al la carte restaurant no matter how many times you try, have found out today, that unless you bribe certain members of staff you have no chance when the hotel is busy, we have eaten in the same buffet restaurant for 9 days every meal (to be fair the food is not that bad in there, but that's not the point!) My room is basic, but the hotel is really run down, even boarded up windows on some levels, broken stuff everywhere. I have not had a hot shower in 9 days, toilet constantly blocks and you have to shove a coat hanger constantly down it.
Travel Republic, told us that they were going to move us, so we packed our bags and waited, nobody came, then after waiting and waiting we rang them and they changed their story and now want us to pay an extra £500 to move for the last 4days of our holiday. Please do not buy from this company, you simply can not trust them. This hotel is at best anywhere in the world 2stars not 4star, please, please believe me, do not trust what they are telling you. Can not waite to get home, so I can instruct a lawyer to take action against Travel Republic. I am not a person who likes to complain like this, but feel I must warn others.

Room Tip: Do not get cheated out of $50 dollars from reception staff on arrival, or get sold timeshare!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends